i done did it now

joanagain

Guest Anorak33

I have had several very good deals with skyauction but never tried their buy-it-now as the price (with extras) always seemed too high.

Their regular auctions can be OK but you do have to very aware of the extra port fees taxes and document fedex fees which may amount to MORE than the auction bid price being shown.

You will always be shown the full cost before you press that bid button however.

Another thing to be careful of is that although you may win the auction - sky may NOT HAVE available what they are selling - and may back out of it without paying you any compensation for flights or other expenses you may have incurred. This happened to me recently, you must wait for a confirmation e-mail from them not just assume you are getting that cruise because you won the auction.

Another interesting feature is that the same bidders seem to keep bidding up the price of various auctions concurrently. Anyone less trusting than I am might suspect that someone connected with the auction is pumping up the action!

As I said before I have bought cruises on them at maybe half the best discounted price I could get from say VTGo.

And in a carefully worded last paragraph I must say In my opinion I am not totally convinced that all internet cruise auctions are squeaky clean.

And in a carefully worded last paragraph I must say In my opinion I am not totally convinced that all internet cruise auctions are squeaky clean.
I'm in full agreement with you there! But the Skyauction folk have always been on the up-and-up with me (and anyone else who has dealt with them).

Joan, since they don't have your cc #, they won't be able to charge you the $95. I would take iluvcruzin's advice "I would go in and change your profile on Skyauction to remove your e-mail adderss and other information". Of course, it's possible you may not be able to bid again...but that might be a good thing!:)

..yes, that is what i did, i pressed the purchase button and then i saw that my cruise was listed with the additional fees and i was asked for my cc number...and then i left the site.
I don't see why this is even a problem, unless I am misinterpreting...if you went through the procedure and clicked purchase with one price, and then they displayed additional fees before FINAL purchase, that is no different then what I do on CVC or wherever to see what the final price of my trip will be, including everything. Then, if I don't like it, I leave, no obligation. Maybe I am misunderstanding but if you didn't give them your CC info then what's the issue? And if they already have your CC #, they wouldn't even bother contacting you, they would just charge you. Please clarify if I am misunderstanding.

Nikki

SkyAuction is indeed a legitimate web site and they do reveal all charges to you before you bid - if you read the page completely. Which is something anyone should do before buying anything.

I agree. You should have read the fine print before bidding. Snyauction does disclose everything upfront - but you need to read the page completely.

My opinion is you are liable for the $95 cancellation fee. Consider yourself lucky that thats all it will cost you to get out of your mistake

divinggirl,

it does sound strange...and that is what stunned me when i received the skyauction email...i was NOT given a final price...i did not even know what category or cabin i was "BUYING" (not BIDDING for)...

from my pov...i was stunned that the purchase went through without my cc number or authorization...and if i am legally bound to give it to them.

i know that i should have read everyting on the site...on reflection now, in my euphoria, i did MISREAD...(ok, i realize i am changeing my testimony...but i may have done both, not read the fine print and misread the offer)

i understand how my facts sound contradictory (and may be...) thankyou for giving me your thoughts on this issue... you can throw this case out of court, ...i really was a bit shaken, but now i think i can manage.

this is a GREAT site.

joan

i tried to change my profile on the site, and it was not possible.

My suggestion is that you ignore this problem. If it becomes necessary to pay the agent, get a money order from the post office and send it "regestered/return receipt required". Do not under any circumstances give them your credit card or any other personal information.

I have helped several of my clients with this auction site. One never heard from the auction site again and the other received a letter from the attorney for the auction site.

In hind sight I should have suggested that she call the attorney rather than just send the money order. There was never proof that the attorney was real.

i may be premature in my sigh of relief...but i do not want to let too much time go by without thanking the 34 cc who took the time to advise me and in effect, hold my hand while i pondered..."what will become of me?"

...and as some of you did consul, i hope that i will not be so hasty in the future...

a whole week has past and i have not received any threatening emails (!) ...and i thank you for predicting that this might very well be the case, and a lesson learnt.

joanagain

One of my law professors put it best when he said "The BIG PRINT giveth and the small print talketh away."

:) Hope you did not get taken. Try a legit site like www.*****.com. They have a GREAT search engine and great prices. But still shop around.

...i joined a cruise auction TA online site when i saw that for less than $700, i could buy a cruise, that i was intending to book....i was like, whooppee!

...but found out that the total price was more than i thought upon further examination, way more than any other quotes i had received, and opted out after having given all of my membership info...i did not read the fine print, and now i am notified that i won the cruise and i need to give the TA my credit information or pay a $95 cancelation fee...

my question is, am i bound to provide the TA with my cred card number in order for the TA to penalize me for not finalizing my booking...i know that i should go back to the site and check out what the booking policy is...but i am gun shy now, and do not want to go near that TA with a 10 foot pole...any one know of a similar situation?...

thanks

Archived