Photography Safari

marlee73

Every one pays the same amount. My wife will shoot video and enjoy the sites. It isn't that much more than a straight whalewatching tour and we might get to see something else. The difference I see from talking to Gastineua Guiding, who conducts this tour, is that they go on a fixed route where they know there are good photo opportunities, including whales, but they won't stay the whole time with whales. Not sure but hope it will be worth the extra funds.

My wife and I took the Photo Safari during our mid-June cruise. Although the day was cloudy, we enjoyed the tour. There were only 12 of us on the tour ( I think they keep it small). As others have said, don't expect to 'learn' much about photography, BUT do see it as an intimate opportunity to take pictures with a small group of people. We got on the small boat and toured around Auke Bay and other spots. We saw whales, eagles, sea lions, seals, etc.. The best thing about the boat portion of the trip was that the boat captain could get us close by and we ALL has a great view of the wildlife. There were other whale watching boats in the area and we watched 50 people trying to grab spots by the railing to take the same shots that we had a direct view of.

After the boat ride, we got in a van and they brought us to Mendenhall Glacier. By this time (about 4-5PM), most of the days trips had cleared out and there were not very many people. We took a trail and the guide explained to us the movement of the glacier over time and about some of the local flora and fauna. On our way back past the Glacier we were able to get pictures of the glacier without ANY people in front of it.

My wife and I (the photo hobbyist) thoroughly enjoyed this tour for the mere fac that it was a small group and we did not feel herded from place to place, AND we did get some nice pictures along the way.

I am Mary Ann 2's husband...I think it is worth the money for the few people in a family who want to have time and opportunity to take some good photos. The boat they use is specially designed for up to about 15 folks to have very good views for taking pictures. I picked up several pointers from the professional photographer who lead our group. I found these pointers were useful for me for the remainder of my cruise. This was, for me, one of the high points of the cruise. There was not really much time for the photographer in our group to work with all individuals. But he was very willing to answer anybody's questions and give very helpful advice. So...take a good camera, take this excursion, and ask questions. It will be worth your time and money.

Still not sure that this tour is worth extra money over whale watch? They seem to go to Mendenhall each trip which takes an hour or two and we are already doing this on our own. Has anybody else out there done this tour? Need to make any final bookings or changes asap. Thanks for all the help.

Marlee, make a decision to go?

My hubby just took this tour last week and had mixed feelings about it. He feels he did get some good photo tips which was why he picked this excursion BUT he felt our whale watch trip was a better opportunity to see whales and our independent trip to mendenhall enabled him to explore more of the Glacier. So, if your main interest is photography it is probably worthwhile but if you want a whale watch do a whale watch.

I also just want to mention that we did a whale watch out of ICY Straight on a ship excursion-large boat and saw lots of whales, hubby was able to take lots of pictures, there were enough outside viewing areas. Lots of people insist small idenpendents are the way to go and they may be, but this was a very good experience too, despite all the negatives I have read on this board about ship arranged whale watches.

Archived