BELIZE- really that bad

inthewind

me and my girlfriend will be there in feb. was just wondering how it really is in town around where you get off the tender. heard alot of negative things. we were just thinking of shopping a little, maybe a drink or 2. don't want to do any excursions. planning on beach days in cozumel, grand cayman and costa maya already. my way of thinking is that it can't be that bad if the ships keep going there.

me and my girlfriend will be there in feb. was just wondering how it really is in town around where you get off the tender. heard alot of negative things. we were just thinking of shopping a little, maybe a drink or 2. don't want to do any excursions. planning on beach days in cozumel, grand cayman and costa maya already. my way of thinking is that it can't be that bad if the ships keep going there.

If you have no excursions planned, then just stay in the port shopping area in Belize. There is a bar/restaurant there also. Outside the port walls, is another story. We went cave tubing & had to drive an hour from the port, not a pretty picture. Shopping may be more expensive in the port area, but at least you will feel somewhat more secure than being in town. I haven't really heard of anyone in danger outside the port walls, but the locals do try VERY hard to get you to purchase their goods.

Get out to the reef! Belize is spectacular. The city around the peir is not prety at all. Take the water taxi to Caye Caulker or San Pedro. Just the ride there is great. Our last cruise was the Valor and I fell in love with Caye Caulker. We are going back for a week next month.2409223340100107089dnQhCZ?vhost=travel2409223340100107089S425x425Q85.jpg

I spent a little time shopping outside the port area, and didn't feel unsafe. I can see why some people would be bothered by the aggressiveness of the vendors. However compared to a lot of places, they weren't bad at all. I didn't have anyone try to follow me and I didn't feel disrespected. The only caution I would give, which is true for many places even in the US - women should be accompanied by at least one man. The prices were a lot better than in the port area, and I like knowing that my money is supporting the locals instead of the typical stores promoted by the cruise companies.

We have been to Belize twice and it is beautiful, but if you are intending to shop and get a drink by the water do it in the secured port area. We ventured outside the gates of the port terminal once and were immediately approached by extrememly aggressive locals, then when trying to go back in the gates of the terminal were blocked. Thankfully and alert security guard noticed and quickly responded by moving the locals out of our path and us back into the secured area. It appeared that the two very large locals were trying to keep us and our $$ outside of the fence. I am sure once most people go back inside the gates they wont return to spend more money on the "outside". I am sure a pre-arranged tour with a reputible guide would be fine but it is important to be informed before venturing out on your own.

We like the bar at the end of the port area. It sits right at the water. There is a lot of entertainment, restaurants, bars in the Belize port.

We had friends that booked with Yhonny for cave tubing in Belize and loved it and another couple went to Caulker's Cay for the day.

I think Belize has alot to offer tourists but safety has to improve before I would feel good about venturing around the city, beach, or countryside outside of an arranged excursion.

Check out Coral Breezes, they have some nice excursions you might be interested in. We are doing the snorkeling to sting ray alley next week. I have read good thing about them on these boards. Good luck.

Travgurl,

We're also on Glory next week. Part of our group is going with coral breeze to caye caulker. I guess you'll be with them. The rest of us are doing cave tubing. See you in a week !!!!!!!!!1

We were in Belize many years ago. We walked off the ship and into town to see the "infamous" bridge. One of only two surviving bridges that rotate. Well, it's not as spectacular as it sounds. We also walked around and into the museum and through the city neighbourhoods to see it. I'm a walker and I like to get a flavour for the local scene. See the city from different points and meet people as well.

From our standpoint, they are the rudest people we have ever encountered in our travels. In fact, the yelling from the taxi drivers was so rude that we both thought that it was one of the worst places we have ever been to, for their treatment of visitors. The taxi drivers were some of the most intrusive and obnoxious we have ever encountered.

Other than their rudeness, we didn't feel unsafe. We walked around town with relative freedom and safety, ensuring that we kept together and took normal precautions.

(Oh and for Americans, some prescription medication was available from local pharmacies without prescriptions. Not a concern for us Canadians, but many Americans were happy that they could fill their prescriptions at a relative discount to US prices without the need to see a doctor.)

We were in Belize in June. While it is a nice area to visit. We found get out

side those gates you find very very aggressive locals. We did go out of the

gate and each of us held one of or 2 kids with us. Once we got out of the

port area we had no problems. Just use common sense and you will have no

problems. We did make some local purchases and got several nice things we

did not see in port. Plus things we saw in port were alot more etc etc.

The city is worth seeing after all you are on vacation, etc. I found ALOT more problems in jamica with the aggressive locals.

Last year in Belize we went cave tubing with Yhony and had a great time, but didn't have time to explore the city. Last Thursday we went to Goff's Caye in the morning to snorkel and then in the afternoon I went in to explore Belize City.

While I would agree that an excursion is a great thing to do in Belize, especially for a first time visit, I had a pretty good time in the city. Yes, the people are poor, but they were very friendly and readily accepted a "no thank you" if I wasn't interested in looking at their wares. I appreciated the different culture I was exposed to for a short time and even learned a little by chatting with the locals while drinking a Belikin beer :D.

By all means one should do an excursion or tour to see some of the beauty the country and the reef have to offer. But if one has the time, and enjoys seeing a different culture and chatting with the locals, then venture out of the port area for a little while. Be aware of your surroundings, use some common sense and don't wander down a deserted alley, treat the people with respect, and you might gain some understanding and appreciation of their life in Belize.

John

Archived