Any ideas for touring island on my own with a local resident or independent guide.

pinkaboo

We were in Barbados in 2005 and walked up to the gentleman who organizes the taxis and told him the places we wanted to see. (I am a big user of Fodors and Frommers.) He introduced us to an older driver by the name of Vernon Bishop. He was 78 years old and we had the greatest tour. Not only could he tell us about the current status of the island but all of the history. The fact that he was older and drove slower was a postive to us. We felt we got to see the country side and learn a lot about the island that we would not have gotten with a younger, faster driver. We paid $80 for 2 and were out for approximately 4 hours. He dropped us in Holetown where we wanted to do some snorkelling. You will have no problem finding someone at the cruise terminal.

Take the money that you would spend on a tour guide (generally, the taxi drivers double as guides) and invest in a Fordor’s or Frommer’s written guide that includes the Barbados’ high points.

Then…take the bus!

For US$.75 you can’t go wrong.

Hi, it's not that easy when you live thousands of miles away and will only be on the island for one day. There is always something that goes wrong. We did that (go on our own) last year in Europe and even though it worked out well, we encountered roads closed due to construction, train ticket machines that only accepted exact changes, waiting for buses, etc.. When you only have one day, you don't want to loose time and deal with those problems.

I would love to do my own thing in Barbados, but where do I start ?

Can you give me a nice itinerary including major attractions and a couple of hours at a nice Beach ?

Thank you for your input. :)

• 1 month later...

Archived