How long to get to Skyway Bridge?

betsyrossapk

Just wondering how long it takes once the ship leaves the Port of Tampa to pass under the Skyway Bridge? We have heard so much about how impressive it is to see this & don't want to miss it. We do have the 6:15Pm dinner seating. Would the ship be passing under the bridge by then or is it too close?

79 days & counting

Well, we started foo-foos at noon, and really wanted to see the bridge, but missed it :mad: We were lost somewhere on the ship, LOL... we came out after we had gone under. Ship left at 4 and I am wanting to say it was close to 6? Most people had already left to start getting ready for early seating, I remember there weren't many people there... but you should be okay, just make sure you get ready quick and come back out on deck....

We have sailed out of Tampa a few times. We always have the 5:45 dinner - and the one thing we miss is being up on deck watching the ship go under the bridge... I seem to recall it is usually somewhere in the appetizer/salad time period... so lets say a little after 6.. it really depends when the ship ACTUALLY pulls away...

You may be cutting it close - but good luck!

Tom

If you can, it is definitely a sight to see. My boyfriend did the cruise on the Sensation last August out of Tampa. I'm not sure what time we went under, but I know it took awhile. We had late seating, so timing wasn't a problem. It was amazing to see us going under the bridge and how we barely made it. As I said, if you can see it, you should.

Your post reminded me of my only experience with the Sunshine Skyway Bridge. In December 1981 I drove over the original bridge during the time when the Northbound span had been diverted to two-way traffic following the May 1980 freighter collision which sent 35 people 150 feet to their deaths after more than a thousand feet of the southbound lanes collapsed. Driving the bridge itself was memorable, but viewing the truncated -- and seemingly bottomless -- stump of the opposite lanes was stomach churning.

For history:

http://www.geocities.com/pagesbydave/SunSkyDemoHis.html

When I was on the Sensation in 2000 we left Tampa at 5 and went under the skyway at 7. So 2 hours is a safe estimate. The thrill of going under the bridge (and we were as close to the top of the ship as we could get) was seeing the ships funnel barely missing the bridge. It was awesome and a video moment.

Lisa :cool:

• 13 years later...
So I take it going under the bridge is definately a Kodak moment or perfect time to have the video camera rolling?

Wow! I was googling how long it takes a cruise ship to reach the bridge after leaving Port Tampa and found this post of mine from 13 years ago!

This is weird because I just returned from a cruise out of Port Tampa 3 weeks ago! I made sure I was up on deck when we sailed under the bridge! It was great!

I've sailed "Paradise" many times out of Tampa, and always eat at first seating. We ALWAYS pass under the bridge while at dinner, so if you have early, and want to be on deck for the passage under the bridge, I'd recommend the buffet the first evening. (Oh by the way, it is, indeed, a sight that you won't soon forget.)

"SKY"

I've sailed "Paradise" many times out of Tampa, and always eat at first seating. We ALWAYS pass under the bridge while at dinner, so if you have early, and want to be on deck for the passage under the bridge, I'd recommend the buffet the first evening. (Oh by the way, it is, indeed, a sight that you won't soon forget.)

"SKY"

I was kinda cool how everyone cheers when we clear it! It is amazing how close we are. I would be curious to know how much clearance we had because it appears to have just been inches!

Sent from my Lenovo TB3-850F using Forums mobile app

"SKY"

The one time we sailed out of Tampa we didnt want to miss the bridge so had dinner at buffet the first night. Well worth it.

• 4 months later...