Dive Review June 16th cruise- Cozumel and Costa Maya

2bboatgal

I just wanted to share our experience. We did the resort course in both Cozumel and Costa Maya in June while on the Carnival Glory. We loved Costa Maya. We arranged our dive privately with Julie at Blue Ocean Safari. She did a fantastic job. We basically had a private dive with a fantastic instructor, Hugo. He took the instruction even further than what we received in Cozumel. He made sure we knew what we were doing in shallow water before taking us on a boat dive to a shallow reef. We had completed the classwork in Cozumel and took our paperwork with us. He called them just to confirm everything. He was very concerned about safety. This was our 4th beginner scuba and we plan on getting certified. It is just hard to do in Fresno, Ca. We don't like diving in cold water. LOL

The dive was amazing. Pink coral and fan coral. We were swimming through coral channels. Our instructor pointed out things (big fish) we did not even see.

After the dive we were taken to the Blue Iguana. Julie surprised us with some treats because it was our actual 20th anniversary that day. What a great experience!!!

In Cozumel, we booked a beginner dive with Sand Dollar Sports. We had to take a taxi to the Reef Club. We had a hard time getting off the ship so missed our original time. they took us to the classroom and did the book instruction, then we practiced at the pool. The Reef club is an all inclusive resort with a dive shop so at 1:00 we went out to a couple of boats to go to the reef. There were alot of people and alot of confusion. We were supposed to dive with our instructor, Oscar, but someone was requesting him so we got switched to another instructor. I didn't even find out his name. There were 8 people in our group. I am pretty sure we were the only beginners.

Even though I feel the instructors were competent, this is where I would not reccomend this place for beginners. I think it would be great for people with experience. Luckily my husband and I are comfortable with diving and had dove 2 times before. We were basically below water unattended because another girl was not comfortable. We just all stayed together and went exploring while he tried to convince her to descend. I just didn't feel it would have been safe if something had happend being a beginner. There were times we didn't even know where he was. However, when my husband and I were trying to ask each other in some sort of sign language "where is he" he appreard right away, so I think he was keeping a close eye on us.

I thought the instructors were knowlegeable and the service with arrangements and friendliness was great. I would reccommend them for certified divers, but not for uncertified. If you book privately, make sure to find out how many people are in the dive group with an instructor.

Diving is dangerous for uncertified people. But, I do think it is benificial to try it out through a beginner dive before paying a bunch of money to get certified. It is one of those things that you either like or don't. I felt I was given thorough instruction to keep myself safe or I wouldnt have done it. Just make sure it is with a small group or private with an instructor like we had in Costa Maya.

Fresno BoatGal,

what you need to do take the plunge and get certified. :)

You can do your book work and pool work locally in Fresno and then do your check-out dives at a warm-water destination such as Florida or in the Caribbean. That's pretty common.

2bboatgal... Congrats and welcome to a whole new world... the water bug has now bitten you square in the butt!! Your not far away from some of the most diverse sea life in Monterey Bay...

Isn't it amazing to be underwater in a whole forest of coal and fans and fish..

Oh yes! We are definately getting certified now. We have the underwater addiction. There is nothing like it!!! For some reason, I fear diving in the ocean here, but I'm sure I will get over it.LOL

Thanks!!

Lisa

Oh yes! We are definately getting certified now. We have the underwater addiction. There is nothing like it!!! For some reason, I fear diving in the ocean here, but I'm sure I will get over it.LOL

Thanks!!

Lisa

You are fortunate to live in CA as well as the diving in SoCal is good to excellent.

Archived