Which Railway

marlee73

Which is the best railway excursion in Skagway? There seems to be many choices. We do want a short one though. I also would like one that stops to take pictures if possible. Does the 3 hr. one @ Carnival meet this criteria?

none of the 3 hr round-trip, train only...stops for photos. the train continues on, they have a open platform for people to stand on for the best photo. otherwise you are taking photo through the windows.

the only time the 3hr round-trip stops, is at the top for the other trains to pass, the your train goes down the same way it came up.

more then 1 train goes up at the same time, when we went the NCL train (us) lead the way....we were passed by (at least) 4 other trains.

the only way to stop for photos is to go by way of a bus or van tour.

All 3 hr. tours are transportation only, some make one stop at the William More over look, Look into Chilkoot Charters tour they make all the stops!\

Stacym

Thanks I think I will go with them. I want to get scrapbooking photos!

Thanks I think I will go with them. I want to get scrapbooking photos!

be careful when you do your photos, because unless you are very quick and nimble-fingered, there's not much time...these "trains" aren't for transportation, therefore, no stops per se. But they do slow down and inform you when you will have photo ops. I found placing my lens up against the window avoided back-flash-glare. All in all, interesting, but for my scrapbook, I actually bought postcards...all in the interest of having it look great, not just good.

Have fun, most importantly!

Nothing against the train and/or bus tours, but don't rule out the option of renting a car in Skagway and driving up the Pass. It would be easy to stop whenever you wanted for those photo ops at the many designated pull offs along the road. Just a thought. For more info, just do a search in this forum or just ask. But any way you go, you will have some great pics!:)

We just did the train up and the land tour through the Yukon. We went with a smaller tour company, only 14 people on our bus and it was amazing. The train was great and we got to see some great stuff on the way back. With a smaller bus, we made some additional stops, and I think she would have stopped other places if we had asked. IT was amazing! Have a great time with whatever you decide. I don't think I would do the train up and back because same scenery, both ways. If you want to know the tour we used, you are welcome to email me. :)

nu2cruises

We will be in Skagway in mid September and are interested in a smaller tour company that does the one way train and the other bus. How long was the entire trip? Would you share the tour group you used and how to contact them?

Thanks

Just back from Alaska CCL "Spirit" June 27th-JUly 4th, 2007. We did the White Pass and Yukon Railroad tour through Carnival. It is $99.00 for each person. It is the same price whether you book with CCL or directly with the White Pass folks. The tour was about 3:15 hours. I recommend doing the first one as we did from 8:00am to 11:15am. Carnival has reserved cars just for the shore excursion folks and they were so less crowded on the morning than the afternoon train. Make sure you get a seat on the left side of the train going up the mountain as it is the most scenic side. We found that by going on the morning train it freed up our time in the afternoon to explore the town. Most people opted for the afternoon and were dropped off just before the ship was scheduled to leave port which made for long lines getting back onboard. The train will pick you up right in front of the ship. You literally walk off the ships gangway and walk about 100 feet and jump on the train. Pretty cool! The train will also drop you off in town upon returning down the mountain. It is a beautiful ride, bring your camera, it was some of the most beautiful scenery you will see. We saw bears and mountain goats so stay alert. They also allow you to go outside and stand on the outside of the car between cars and view. Best place in my opinion as that is where I stayed 95% of the trip. The train will stop at the top and move the engines from the front to the back for the trip down. You cannot get off the train at anytime so bring some snacks, water, etc because it is 3 hours but it goes quick. Before you head back to the ship check out the nature trails nearby. While walking back to the ship from town, as you cross the tracks going over the road, you will see a campground/campsites to the right, if you look to the left you will see a small brook/creek. Head off in that direction walking up the tracks about a few hundred feet and you will see a trail head with a map of the trails take the 1 mile loop it is very beautiful hike and it will come to a view overlooking the ship. Great way to get a look at the lake and nature. Skagway is a very lovely town and be sure to check out the museum. Happy cruising and enjoy the "Spirit" wish I could go back with you guys. I'm having post vacation blues. Good Luck.

Archived