Currency in port and on board caribbean

Ninabelina

We are on the 31st Oct QM2 to the caribbean. I intend paying my onboard expenses in cash, US Dollars, and not by credit card.

1, When first boarding do you leave a deposit of cash with the purser to cover anticipated costs, as we are in PG does the concierge sort this out for you instead?

2, When in port at the various destinations what currency do they use, US Dollars or their own local currency.

3, If it is their own currency are we able to change our US dollars on board into the local money? and if so, again does the concierge sort this?

I intend having very little hassle and stress and just want to relax and make new friends and enjoy lots of delicous food!!! Somebody said to me that the food was excellent so I have great expectations. My favourite pastime is laughing and eating very good quality food. Consequently I am an all round bundle of fun! Literally! When I glide into the PG restaurant in my finest glitz, people will think that one of those mirror balls has entered the room!!!! I am actually a recycled supermodel who has been washed and squashed! Its not my weight thats wrong its my height, I should be 8ft 3"

I digress and you are not supposed to. I just hope that not everybody are like waifs. :D :D :D

I'll be quick. late for work!

Caribbean. No prob with US Dollars.

Deposit with Pursers or leave credit card, but pay with cash before end of cruise.

No answers on concierge as I have never done grills.

Karie,

looking forward to seeing you on board!

P.S. I should be 9'6" instead I am a plus 3X! We'll have a great time fitting through doors together. Roly Poly bundles of fun!

Thank you Karie for the info and I am glad that we will be able to giggle together trying to get through the doors at the same time! I take it then that you just use US Dollars when ashore on the islands? we went to Dubai in May and bought plenty of bling and managed to get a lovely dress to wear, very glitzy. My life is not glitzy normally, usually all work as we both have our own businesses so this trip should be fun and a great change from our day to day chores.

Lorraine

Thank you Karie for the info and I am glad that we will be able to giggle together trying to get through the doors at the same time! I take it then that you just use US Dollars when ashore on the islands? we went to Dubai in May and bought plenty of bling and managed to get a lovely dress to wear, very glitzy. My life is not glitzy normally, usually all work as we both have our own businesses so this trip should be fun and a great change from our day to day chores.

Lorraine

Some of the islands' currency is EC Dollars (Eastern Caribbean), which was $2.70ECD=$1 USD when we were there. They are happy to take US dollars, it just takes a minute of calculater-ing.

I'll be quick. late for work!

Caribbean. No prob with US Dollars.

Deposit with Pursers or leave credit card, but pay with cash before end of cruise.

No answers on concierge as I have never done grills.

Karie,

looking forward to seeing you on board!

P.S. I should be 9'6" instead I am a plus 3X! We'll have a great time fitting through doors together. Roly Poly bundles of fun!

Lorraine,

Think you'll find you can settle your account with your card; you don't need cash at all. We've only ever used US $ in the Caribbean; there's no problem at all. We took plenty of dollars on board (better exchange rate at home) and kept the cash in the stateroom safe. You need cash to buy your gambling chips as well:) You can use yr card but it costs more.

Anita

Lorraine

I have been all over the Caribbean and never had USD turned away. Mexico and a fe South American and Central American countries too!

Most display prices in either USD (near ports) or both, when there is a difference. Some use US as their official currency. Do be careful when you get change. EC currency looks like American. But not a lot of places you can spend it except the EC! But then, for coins, how much are you going to end up with, and you can always find a child who loves to collect coins!

Yep! we can be bookends on this trip. Just let me know what colors which nights, so we can REALLY look like twins! (Well,. you'll be the smaller twin of course!)

Karie,

who is going to have a great time on this cruise! I can feel it!

Thank you eveyone for your advice and to karie I will follow your recommendation and give the children the change, as you say they always love money. On the twins bit, we will be perfect tweenies! I can't wait for this trip as it is my first ever cruise. Everyone says you become hooked on them. My Mother didn't when she went she was sick all the time. That was to Alaska.

Lorraine

Archived