Need some advice

SuperTrooper00

I could really use some of your help and advice on a couple of things....

My wife and I have been debating for some time now whether we should vacation for a week with our 15-month old or without.

We are blessed to have two sets of grandparents around us who are always willing to watch him when needed.

Our quandry: We have an opportunity in December to go on a family cruise. Most of our families would all go together. However, we are a little hesitant to take our baby (then 20-months) on a cruise where he cannot swim, have his own area to sleep, or be a part of the kids club. It is nice that both sets of grandparents would be on the cruise to help...but my wife is not sure it will be much of a vacation.

We need to decide between that, and my wife and I going somewhere alone and leaving him back home with the grandparents. I am sure many on here have had to make the same decision...please share any advice or experiences that would help.

We take him and its hard because its not much of a vacation for my wife....or we don't and we miss him.... ANy thoughts?

Thanks

I think that if your entire family is doing the cruise- then it will be nice for all of you. If the extended family is willing to help out- you will have a nice time. No, traveling with a 20 month old is not easy but I think if you do the cruise and see other kids around- you are going to miss your little one.

If you and your wife need to have a get-away and really relax... then I think you should. If the grandparents are willing and able- then take advantage of this situation. I see too many unhappy couples on cruises with kids. Not that all people are unhappy but it is a lot of work traveling with toddlers.

My suggestion is- go on the cruise with the family. You will have a good time and get to spend time with your child. But also do a get-away with you and your wife. Just do a long weekend- doing something adult.

For example, I left my kids to go to Venice for a long weekend. I was there for only three nights but I got to read on the plane- nap at will- stay up until all hours and sleep late. It was one of the most recouperative trips I have ever taken. I am not suggesting that you do Venice- but do something that wouldn't be kid friendly... like Napa Valley or a weekend at a spa.

If you don't have the time or the money to do both- then you have to decide which you need right now in your life. Don't let anyone tell you that you have to travel with toddlers. They are often just as happy at home.

Well as I have said here MANY times before I don't ever leave my kids when we go on vacation, but I have left the hubby at home...lol ;)

And it really isn't THAT difficult. I travel alone with my two girls all of the time. And we have a blast. And it's even easier when dad comes along or other family members.

I can tell you that cruising with an infant and family members is a breeze AS LONG AS you have family members willing to give you a break for a night or two.

IF you go on a RCCL cruise, then you can have in cabin sitting for a small fee. Then you can have every night out alone together after the baby goes to sleep.

Any day on a cruise with a baby is 1,000 times better than any day at home. There's no housecleaning, no cooking, the baby will have lots of things going on around him to entertain him.

Make sure you can talk your family into EARLY seating for dinner. Then the baby will be awake and happy at dinner. You can get a sitter and head out to see some shows.

And also, make sure you book a BALCONY cabin. Then if you decide to stay in one night, you can put the baby to bed and head outside for some romantic, baby free alone time under the stars. ;)

Do you have a regular sitter at home that the baby already knows? Maybe you can bring her along. Get her an adjoining (smaller) cabin next to yours. She'd probably be ecstatic just to go on a cruise and you could set up a plan to get it back in sitting while on the ship. No family members would feel put out at having to babysit while on the trip, and no guilt for you (your baby's right there only he's not right there the whole time).

We take him and its hard because its not much of a vacation for my wife....or we don't and we miss him.... ANy thoughts?

Thanks

We had the same exact dilemma, and we decided to take our 13 month od son with. I just can't leave him for a whole week, especially when I work all week long and hardly get to spend time with him as it is.

Of course, if we'd had the option to have family go with us, we would have done that. But, since we didn't know of anyone who wanted to go with, we decided to book on a cruise line that offered babysitting for Under 2's. Carnival offers babysitting for $6 ph, during select hours, NOT in-room though.

I am 42 and have two kids- one 19 and one 6. I can tell you from experience that I had a great time on two cruises with an infant and I did take a sitter on one of the cruises. After I got back and calculated that it cost me $ 1700 for the sitter to go on the cruise- I realized my mistake.

For $ 1700 you and your wife could go on a really nice vacation- jus the two of you for a few days- and still be able to pay a sitter (say $ 300) or leave you child with your parents.

In my experience with the sitter- I still had my child in the cabin with me- why wouldn't I? You just can't separate yourself from the role of mommy. It was nice to have an extra pair of helping hands and some free time but not really a vacation.

Don't feel guilty for taking time to spend with each other as a couple- its just as important as parenting. Your child won't even remember you being gone. I left my son at 19 months for 10 days- while I went on a trip to Europe with my older son. We got to do so much that wouldn't have been possible with a toddler. And my sister babysat and got to bond with her nephew- it was a win- win.

Our first cruise was when DD was 21 months old. We didn't have the option of leaving her with grandparents, but we needed a vacation away from job stresses! So, we booked a cruise and off we went. :)

Even though we still had childcare responsibilities, it was a great vacation! With no cooking, cleaning, laundry, or going to work or school (I was in graduate school at the time) it was so wonderful to get to spend family time. Believe me, it was a vacation! :D No, we didn't get to attend the shows or have dinner alone, but we had a relaxing, refreshing time.

If it had been a family cruise, I'm sure we would have been able to have some couple time with family members to take care of her a couple of evenings, but even without that it was great. I'm guessing the grandparents would love to spend some time with your DS so that you and DW can have some time as a couple.

That said, DD has always been a low-maintenance, happy child (she's 12 now), so it was easy for us. A lot will depend on the temperatment of your child and you and your DW know your child best and how he adjusts to being away from home.

Just wanted to let you know you can take a toddler on a cruise and still have a great vacation. :D

Cheers!

Jayne

We took our daughter on her first cruise when she was 23 months. My hubby was uncertain if this was a good idea. But it turned out that all three of us had a great time, even if she was a month too young to be in Camp Carnival. We didn't have any alternative: either don't go without her or take her. So far she's been on six cruises...every vacation that we've gone on since her birth. As for alone time, there's plenty of time while she's in the kids' area.

Archived