Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

If any of you are members of IAADP (International Association of Assistance Dog Partners), their most recent issue of the Partners Forum is just filled with some wonderful information.....

They had information on SD access/Dept. of Transportation info./relief areas in airports/and some truly inspiring articles about SD's.

Information on IAADP's partnership with Pet Assure....[it's not insurance] it's a Discount Plan for Veterinary/boarding/grooming/training and day care, it's worth looking into.

If you're not a member you really should consider joining, they have some truly great benefits and savings. [i don't work for them......I just think they have a lot of worthwhile information for us who walk or wheel with SD's.]

They also have a writing competition, whereby you write a story and if they publish it in their magazine, you may win $50.00.

I believe the magazine is only for people with SD's. If you want more information about them go to: www.iaadp.org.

So I have another story, not as dog related as some. As well as being a volunteer dog handler I am a pediatric nurse, and with that meet many children who a service dog could make life easier. (That is actually how I became involved with service dogs). Today as I was prepping a child for surgery I was talking about his disabilites( and more his abilities) and his seizure disorder. His parents mentioned they had cats and I asked if the cats alerted to his seizures or acted any different. You could have knocked them over, as yes, they had noticed it, but thought no one would belive them. As I continued ot get basic information I asked if they had ever heard of service dogs. They said they had, but had ruled it out because of money. So, now it was time to swap out my nursing cap, and put on my volunteer apron. I told them a bit abt some of the orginizations out there and said that we could talk later while their son was in surgery.

So, when I had a moment I went and talked. We talked about what service dogs do, and they became quite animated. It was actually a bit bitter sweet when I mentioned the door opening. Mom looked at me and said, I can't even imagine how much it would mean not to have to struggle with the door and a wheel chair. With all the wonderful things these animals can do, the door opening is what stood out. Such an example of how we need our basic needs met before we go on to the advanced ones.

Anyway, surgery went well, parents off to see their son. Maybe some day I will run into them wiht a four footed friend by his side.

By the way Brenda, you have a very handsome canine suitor there. I want to steal him for some kisses myself!!!!

Anyway, surgery went well, parents off to see their son. Maybe some day I will run into them wiht a four footed friend by his side.

Isn't it great when things go in a circle. Hopefully this one will be completed and you will see them with a furry friend for their son. When working with the special needs kids I so wanted to talk to the parents about that option, but didn't want to step on toes and appear to be butting into their business.

By the way Brenda, you have a very handsome canine suitor there. I want to steal him for some kisses myself!!!!

With as beautiful as Brenny is, we wouldn't expect anything less than Denver for a boyfriend! What great babies they could have made! :o

Nancy

Hi everyone,

It's nice to see familiar faces still here in the thread (ok, and even you humans too :)

Bailey and I are getting excited about our next cruise ( to Alaska) on Sept.1. I had cruising with a service dog down pretty well- but found out recently I will be needing to add a mobility scooter to the mix.

We have one on order and it should be here oin time for the cruise. It is a pride gogo that breaks down so can fit in trunks of cars.

I know it will help me get around the ship so much. But I don't know what to expect in ports. Also disembraking, I can walk but steps or distances are are problem.

Any suggestions or tips? The thread above this was on scooters but in old country and without a SD.

Bailey has been known to ride with me on scooter. We rented on on last vacation (In Las Vegas when it was 116 degrees and I wouldn't let her walk onhot pavement or cement). She is amazing with the scooter, so I am not worried about hwr. More worried about me being able to cordinate everything and the ports. Or should I just plan to stay onboard?

Sunshine, You are just incredible!! Everyday you tell us some story that amazes me. Now we find out you are also a pediatric nurse!!! Are you for real??? It's an honor to know you even if it's only online. The world needs more people like you. :D

Darcie, Welcome back!

Cindy

Mornin' all:

Hope everyone is having a great Sunday. Day to relax and enjoy. I already went to town to get the papers so that is done. I will go see mom later this afternoon, and deliver her paper. She waits for those crossword puzzles, which is great, it keeps her brain working. I could never do them, I don't have the patience......

Nancy

Thanks Cindy, it was a busy spring and early summer, but now I am ready to start planning for our alaska cruise!

Nancy, I agree I get one or two words in the crossword then want to throw it across the room. Good for your mom!

Hi All

I hope everyone is doing well. Denver and I had a busy weekend and he DID get to see his girlfriend Brenda .... She wore a pretty pink necklace for him and they were in heaven , they slept side by side and enjoyed quailty time sniffing and peeing on the grass LOL

Denver and I are going on a Disney cruise in October and we cant WAIT I ment to post earlier to reply to kim and rufus but didnt get a chance

Kim- We DID need a fecal and health cert i did mine 3 days prior to leaving Cali but i think you can do it 2 weeks prior he also had to have a negative heartworm ( i think but maybe not??? ) and his Avid chip number was to be written on his rabies paperwork and vaccine paperwork and presented to the ship . I was told no vet visit was required when we got off the shiup bec we were going to be there less than 48 hours. I would DEFINATELY enroll in IAADP and get your free avid microchip and vaccine rebate . Im also going to look into that program you mentioned roz and i know banfield has something like that where you get free exams and health certs if you pay so much a month . Never hurts to check it all out I sent in for Denvers import permit a few weeks ago and there also was nothing on it about the microchip ( a spot to write it in ) so im just having the vet type it in the appropriate box on his vaccine ppwrk . Hope this helps

happy week everyone

love and licks

cari and Denver

PS- This web link is also flying around the NAGDU boards :) people who r seeking info about crusing with their guide dogs are being told about this site especially from me and CJBORNE with Ollie :):):) Roz thanks for starting such a GREAT thread

We finally got Orsons health cert. on Friday. We almost didn't get it on Friday though. We all misread the application paperwork for Tortola. They require TWO rabies certs. We only had one. But they still issued us the permit from Tortola. When the vet from the USDA read that, she wouldn't issue the health cert. She didn't want us to have any issues in Tortola if someone wanted to make a case for the fact that even though we had the permit, we still only had one rabies cert. So we got on the phone to CCI and got in touch with our graduate coordinator. She faxed over the second rabies cert. within minutes. We owe her big time!! So this past weeking Orson got his nails clipped, his teeth brushed and his bath. He is all set to go. We leave on Wednesday for three days in WDW and then the cruise on Sat.

Karen: I hope these parents avail themselves of a Service Dog. It would change their lives in so many wonderful ways. I'm glad that all went well for them.

Karen, you're truly a wonderful person. I'm proud to know you.

Seeing Cari and Denver is always a treat. Denver is such a beautiful boy and, he's so well behaved and "on!" He loves Cari and it's a pleasure to watch them inner act together. He responds to her like a find tuned watch. It's a pure joy to watch them work together. Makes me proud to be a person who walks with a Service Dog, when I'm around them.

Hi everyone,

It's nice to see familiar faces still here in the thread (ok, and even you humans too :)

Bailey and I are getting excited about our next cruise ( to Alaska) on Sept.1. I had cruising with a service dog down pretty well- but found out recently I will be needing to add a mobility scooter to the mix.

We have one on order and it should be here oin time for the cruise. It is a pride gogo that breaks down so can fit in trunks of cars.

I know it will help me get around the ship so much. But I don't know what to expect in ports. Also disembraking, I can walk but steps or distances are are problem.

Any suggestions or tips? The thread above this was on scooters but in old country and without a SD.

Bailey has been known to ride with me on scooter. We rented on on last vacation (In Las Vegas when it was 116 degrees and I wouldn't let her walk onhot pavement or cement). She is amazing with the scooter, so I am not worried about hwr. More worried about me being able to cordinate everything and the ports. Or should I just plan to stay onboard?

Darcie: We'll be going to Alaska on September 5th. What ship are you on? We could wave to each other.....or may even see each other in various ports. We'll be doing the inside passage onboard the Golden Princess. And, are doing the White Pass Railway Tour, in Skagway.

I'll know you by Bailey.....and, you'll know me by Brenny.

Hi everyone,

Darcie: I know nothing about these scooters.....I hope someone can help you. The fact that it breaks down so well would be a great advantage.

We had to rent a wheelchair in San Diego, before leaving on the Oosterdam, a few years ago. I have since bought one. But, it would have been so much easier to have had such a scooter.

I, too, would like to hear more about it.

We finally got Orsons health cert. on Friday. We almost didn't get it on Friday though. We all misread the application paperwork for Tortola. They require TWO rabies certs. We only had one. But they still issued us the permit from Tortola. When the vet from the USDA read that, she wouldn't issue the health cert. She didn't want us to have any issues in Tortola if someone wanted to make a case for the fact that even though we had the permit, we still only had one rabies cert. So we got on the phone to CCI and got in touch with our graduate coordinator. She faxed over the second rabies cert. within minutes. We owe her big time!! So this past weeking Orson got his nails clipped, his teeth brushed and his bath. He is all set to go. We leave on Wednesday for three days in WDW and then the cruise on Sat.

I hadn't thought about calling CCI, good idea. I don't use them enough. I should remember that they are a wonderful resource for all things "Service Dog" related.

Have a wonderful cruise.

Hi All

I hope everyone is doing well. Denver and I had a busy weekend and he DID get to see his girlfriend Brenda .... She wore a pretty pink necklace for him and they were in heaven , they slept side by side and enjoyed quailty time sniffing and peeing on the grass LOL

Denver and I are going on a Disney cruise in October and we cant WAIT I ment to post earlier to reply to kim and rufus but didnt get a chance

Kim- We DID need a fecal and health cert i did mine 3 days prior to leaving Cali but i think you can do it 2 weeks prior he also had to have a negative heartworm ( i think but maybe not??? ) and his Avid chip number was to be written on his rabies paperwork and vaccine paperwork and presented to the ship . I was told no vet visit was required when we got off the shiup bec we were going to be there less than 48 hours. I would DEFINATELY enroll in IAADP and get your free avid microchip and vaccine rebate . Im also going to look into that program you mentioned roz and i know banfield has something like that where you get free exams and health certs if you pay so much a month . Never hurts to check it all out I sent in for Denvers import permit a few weeks ago and there also was nothing on it about the microchip ( a spot to write it in ) so im just having the vet type it in the appropriate box on his vaccine ppwrk . Hope this helps

happy week everyone

love and licks

cari and Denver

PS- This web link is also flying around the NAGDU boards :) people who r seeking info about crusing with their guide dogs are being told about this site especially from me and CJBORNE with Ollie :):):) Roz thanks for starting such a GREAT thread

Cari, I loved seeing you and Denver. He is exactly what everyone who goes for a Service Dog wants. He's a true class act!!!!! And, such a handsome dog! You are a wonderful trainer and it shows.

Cari, tell me about the "single supplement" that most cruise lines charge when you travel alone.......I know it can be expensive.....how does it work?

And, I have learned so much from this thread and, have met some truly wonderful and inspirational people. You guys literally helped me to save Brenny's life! I'll always be grateful to all of you for that!!!!

Mornin' all:

Ok, I have chills just reading about "our" furbabies. I am so glad Denver and Brenny got some time together. I want to see pictures!

Disney Kids Dad:

Orson is already such a handsome boy. Now he smells good, has bright pearly whites and a pedicure on top of that. He is ready to cruise! :)

Everyone have a great week.........

Nancy

OK I have a question for all you dog people!

I love animals but don't know much about dogs. I'm going to be visiting a friend later this year and want to take her and her service dog a present. She is not a problem -- I've got that covered.

Her service dog -- trooper-- is the problem. He's a lab and getting on in years. I think he is 10 now and may soon be retired. No major health problems, but just those age related aches and pains.

I want to get him some treats, but I don't want to get anything that is bad for him. Do any of you guys have any suggestions?

Thanks,

Candy

Hi Candy;

One of these kind folks will be around to help you out, I am sure. I know my Reno didn't like the healthy treats the vet gave him, he spit them out! :eek: He was a big boy though and liked him some regular (Vita bone) dog cookies. Don't know how healthy there were.

Nancy

I acutally bake my own dog treats for my dog and friends and families. A few of the trainers really like them too. I'll be more than happy to share the recepie. I would think anything dog related would be well received. I can never have too many kongs, my own dog wears different bandanas seasonally, if her dog still enjoys some fetch time, maybe a new toy.

That's great Sunshine. I hope you enjoy it as much as we do. I will have to run over and check prices. I got an email from Holland America with some great prices and 3/4 th passengers sail free! I think it was the 12/5 sailing. Still have to convince hubby.........

Everyone have a great day.

Nancy

OK I have a question for all you dog people!

I love animals but don't know much about dogs. I'm going to be visiting a friend later this year and want to take her and her service dog a present. She is not a problem -- I've got that covered.

Her service dog -- trooper-- is the problem. He's a lab and getting on in years. I think he is 10 now and may soon be retired. No major health problems, but just those age related aches and pains.

I want to get him some treats, but I don't want to get anything that is bad for him. Do any of you guys have any suggestions?

Thanks,

Candy

Candy: Brenda [my Service Dog] is 9 years old and loves; Virbac C.E.T Enzymatic Oral Hygiene Chews for Dogs. They're very good for her teeth/gums and breath. I can teach her new commands and she'll behave very well just from the sight of the bag in my hand!!!!!

I buy them from EntirelyPets.com, you can't find them in pet stores and, not all Vets carry them.

They're amazing. Everytime I take her to the Vet for a teeth cleaning, he says she doesn't need it!!!!!

I buy the Large/30 chew size. They come in smaller sizes, as well!

I wish someone would buy them for me!!!! [Hint, hint to my kids!!!]

Wow Sunshine, baking your own treats sounds great. Unfortunately I'm not exactly known for my culinary skills (that's an understatement) so I don't think it's a good option for me.

Roz, I will try them. Good for the dog and tasty too -- that's a great combo. Thanks!

Candy

Hi All

Ok so many to reply to this time so just read - I forget most names but i will do my best

DKD- We are SOOOooooo JEALOUS !!!! Let us know how your cruise goes did you get a balcony????? The litter box is what im wondering about so if you didn get a balcony room let me know how the whole locked door thing goes . my DH says we can save and do a Disney cruise ( falling over dead ) and he wants to do a 7 night any suggestions on which one anyone?

Queenie - My 7 almost 8 year old working Lab is not a toy dog anymore it makes me sad but there are a few things he likes still.... FOOD !!! he eats any kinds of treats and loves to chew on steralized bones ( no filling ) you can stuff them with peanut butter if you have to leave your dog and they love it ! I LOVE the idea of baking your own cookies I would be thrilled if Denver got those . You can do the CET chews like Roz suggested also but be sure you know first if the dog is allowed to have them . Denver dosent do rawhide and i think they are rawhide based ( he gets a belly ache ) There are lots of good high quailty treats out there if you dont take the CET route Inova makes goos treats nautral balence makes some about anything you find in petco or petsmart is good . I have also recieved small doggie quilts over the years that is always a highlight for me !

Roz- Your words are too kind . It is alwaus a treat seeing you and Brenda work and how well oiled YOU guys are. She is such a lady and we just love you guys ! She pays such close attention to you at all times ... I love that .

I dont know much about single fares except i think it is almost as much to go alone vs. two people . Why do you ask? I have finally convinced my DG( Dear grouch ) oops did i say that i ment DH to go on another cruise - he also wants to fly to seattle and spend the weekend ..... falling over dead now LOL

I hope everyone has a great week ! will be back soon - I need to hang out here more often

xoxoxox

Cari and Denver