Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

I know it sounds so simple; walk outside and find an area to potty the dog.

I have been to hotels or convention halls where the closest spot where I could find even some gravel was more than a block away.....and, when it's late at night, in an area I'm totally unfamiliar with, it's just not a doable or safe choice.

Again, it's all in the planning. If I'm not sure of the environment I'm going to, I make sure she's gone to the bathroom before we leave.

I've been known to go to my car drive to a well lit gas station that has an area within it and taken her potty, then I've driven back to my event.

All because I just didn't feel safe to walk the area I was in. My friends laugh at this........but, I'd rather be safe than be a statistic!!! :(

Now, if I had a roll of "potty-paper", with taped edges, that mimicked the look of grass [lighter in weight, of course], I could put it down in a handicapped stall in a bathroom and, we'd never have to leave the venue! It could be perforated like toilet paper and rolled-up so there were more than one in a roll.

I have been to hotels or convention halls where the closest spot where I could find even some gravel was more than a block away.....and, when it's late at night, in an area I'm totally unfamiliar with, it's just not a doable or safe choice.

Again, it's all in the planning. If I'm not sure of the environment I'm going to, I make sure she's gone to the bathroom before we leave.

I've been known to go to my car drive to a well lit gas station that has an area within it and taken her potty, then I've driven back to my event.

All because I just didn't feel safe to walk the area I was in. My friends laugh at this........but, I'd rather be safe than be a statistic!!! :(

Now, if I had a roll of "potty-paper", with taped edges, that mimicked the look of grass [lighter in weight, of course], I could put it down in a handicapped stall in a bathroom and, we'd never have to leave the venue! It could be perforated like toilet paper and rolled-up so there were more than one in a roll.

Seriously, the concept you suggest makes a lot of sense and is one an entrepreneur might find worth pursuing.

Think of how many people travel with pets and who have the same issue as you regarding suitable piddle places when in a hotel room, a train, etc.

Seriously, the concept you suggest makes a lot of sense and is one an entrepreneur might find worth pursuing.

Think of how many people travel with pets and who have the same issue as you regarding suitable piddle places when in a hotel room, a train, etc.

I agree.....I created a doggy-box for Brenda, on our patio, at home. It's made my life so much easier. Maybe, I'll create some sort of "puddle pad" as well.

I always find something around my hotels, resorts, conventions, etc. even if it is a tiny area of dirt or mulch in the parking lot across the street or at the edges of the hotel's parking lot or even the tiniest strip of dirt in front of parked cars in a city parking lot (where a fence is/was) that has a puddle from the recent rain or whatnot. I have flashlight things for at night (a PupLight - three-LED flashlight that has a dog collar attached to it [gives the dog light and lets you see where the dog is/lets others see the dog is there] - and an LED light that sticks onto the plastic part of Flexi-Leashes).

If I'm going somewhere new, I use Bing Maps (formerly Windows Live) and Google Maps (which I also have on my phone) to look at the place and surrounding area in satellite view to see where any potential potty areas might be. Then, when I get there, I scope them out as one of the first things I do. If I'm not sure where they might be a spot, I ask the hotel desk, but I can usually find a spot on my own and the spots are close by.

I always potty my dog right before I put her mobility harness on when we go out anywhere.

I've never had trouble finding some sort of potty spot near where I am. Not all spots will be the best-looking or big, but that doesn't matter as long as the dog empties itself.

You have a big, black dog with you. That's a major crime deterrant in and of itself! Ain't nobody gonna mess with you!

Just so long as the dog doesn't have a trail of it stuck to its paws when leaving the bathroom! :p

I agree.....I created a doggy-box for Brenda, on our patio, at home. It's made my life so much easier. Maybe, I'll create some sort of "puddle pad" as well.

I was on www.SmartPakEquine.com tonight buying a disinfecting spray (to use on the fake grass on the cruise before I pack it up to bring it home - I ordered the fake grass from another site, too) [and, of course, a few items from the clearance dog item section... ;)] and I saw a bottle of liquid that you put a few drops where you want your dog to potty and the scent tells your dog to potty there. You could use it to train your pooch to use potty pads (I recommend the XL size "Clean Go Pet" ones from www.PetEdge.com 'cause they are absorbant enough for large dogs [most are made for lap dogs]).

BTW, SmartPak has the PetTop bottled water adapter for dogs on sale for just $1.79! At that price, I added one to my order as a back-up in case the one I already have breaks or is lost or gets dirty. (This is that orange thing you screw onto most brands of bottled water to turn it into a drinking device for dogs where they lick the ball and the water comes out, like a hamster cage bottle. It is really handy when travelling! I used one this past cruise and it is better than filling up a bowl and wasting whatever the dog didn't end up drinking - now no water is wasted.)

They also had for $1.79 battery-operated light-up strips that you can attach to a dog's collar or harness so you/others can see the dog at night/in the dark. They only have red and blue ones left and one of the reviews said the blue is not bright, so I got the red ones. This will (hopefully) be useful for seeing my dog when I let her out to potty in the yard at night (we have spotlights, but they create light pollution that prevents me from really seeing her). I've tried other light products - a collar with individual dots of blinking lights [couldn't always see them] and a collar and harness that glow in the dark [they take too long/too much light to charge plus they couldn't be seen with the spotlight light pollution] - but am hoping these will work.

Lots of great ideas, thank you, Quam.

CCI provides a vest with a "glow in the light" strip across the bottom, on both sides of her vest [right under their insignia]. They work really well when we're out walking at night. They also manage to ruin almost every picture we take of her with her vest on, day or night.

It's funny that you mention "big, black dog" as a deterrent to crime. CCI reminds us that their dogs have NOT been trained to be "attack" dogs. But, they don't promise that the dog will not become "defensive" in a volatile situation. I'd hate to push Brenny that far. And, I have seen the reactions of some people when we're walking past them going into the mall or store.

Once, I even had a gentleman avoid walking past us by crossing the street and walking on another sidewalk. Works for me!!!!!!

But, again, this is not something I would depend on in the "wrong place!"

You should see peoples reactions when Orson "smiles" (submissive grin).:D

He looks like he wants to eat your face off. :eek:

You know, I NEVER wanted a "black" dog, let alone, a Black English Lab [who resembles a Bull Dog as she get older!]

I ALWAYS wanted a dog that looks exactly like "Orson!" He was my "dream" dog. When they first told me in Team Training that Brenda and I were "matched", I was so, so disappointed. I had my eye on "Galaxy", she was so blonde, so beautiful and exactly what I wanted.

Who knew; what a dog looks like has absolutely nothing to do with their personality.

The first night Brenny and I were together......I kept looking at her [as she layed on the bed next to me, with that goofy face, and that yellow tennis ball [which looked like it was attached to her body], in her mouth. So black, so goofy, so silly acting.......Yeah right!!!!! It took about 3 days for me to realize she was me!!!! Only, in black fur!

How brilliant are the Trainers!!! They kept apologizing saying, "we know that she's NOT what you asked for", "we know you wanted a blonde dog", "we know that this dog is PERFECT for you!" "Give it time, you'll see!" Boy, were they right!

And, I bet "Orson's" smile is so, so scary!!!!! :p ;)

Tomorrow we will be hanging by the pool with DKD, his family, our puppy raisers and a few other friends. We are all packed and ready to go. I think Wex is going to have a ball this trip. Wednesday with his puppy raisers, and who knows how many dogs, 6 or more I am guessing. Then Thursday with a couple of his fellow graduates. Then to CCI for more fun Fri and Sat. He's going to be pooped when we get home Sat night. We will have to make time for him to nap, as we know from the cruise that he gets cranky if he doesn't get a nap!! Have a fun week and we will talk when we get back. DKD see you tomorrow! :D

Cindy

Tomorrow we will be hanging by the pool with DKD, his family, our puppy raisers and a few other friends. We are all packed and ready to go. I think Wex is going to have a ball this trip. Wednesday with his puppy raisers, and who knows how many dogs, 6 or more I am guessing. Then Thursday with a couple of his fellow graduates. Then to CCI for more fun Fri and Sat. He's going to be pooped when we get home Sat night. We will have to make time for him to nap, as we know from the cruise that he gets cranky if he doesn't get a nap!! Have a fun week and we will talk when we get back. DKD see you tomorrow! :D

Cindy

Have a great time with everyone.....Be safe. We'll talk next week.

Hey everyone. Have a great time at your doggy reunion. That sounds wonderful. What I wouldn't do to be a fly on the wall and just see Crackers for a minute. Little Miss Cooler, or Princess Cooler is home for a few days. She went to vote with me yesterday and then to the grocery store for milk. That was enough errands, especailly on a hot Georgia afternoon.

Jennifer Arnold's (Canine Assistant Founder) book Through a Dog's Eyes will be released on Friday and she is off on a book tour. I'll try to post a link for her book signing dates. I'm sure she would love to meet some of you guys out there in the big world.

Lots of great ideas, thank you, Quam.

CCI provides a vest with a "glow in the light" strip across the bottom, on both sides of her vest [right under their insignia]. They work really well when we're out walking at night. They also manage to ruin almost every picture we take of her with her vest on, day or night.

Yeah, but a reflective strip doesn't work in the backyard, LOL!

I got the package today (it came really quick!) and the lights seem like they will work. I haven't tried them yet (she did just go out at night, but I forgot about the lights 'cause I was distracted). They Velcro around whatever you want to put them on, so I attached two to a collar that just has a magnetic closure (it is the glow-in-the-dark one) and attached the other two to the Velcro-on harness that is the glow-in-the-dark one -- I figured they ought to make themselves of SOME use since their glow-in-the-darkness isn't helpful!

It's funny that you mention "big, black dog" as a deterrent to crime. CCI reminds us that their dogs have NOT been trained to be "attack" dogs. But, they don't promise that the dog will not become "defensive" in a volatile situation. I'd hate to push Brenny that far. And, I have seen the reactions of some people when we're walking past them going into the mall or store.

Once, I even had a gentleman avoid walking past us by crossing the street and walking on another sidewalk. Works for me!!!!!!

But, again, this is not something I would depend on in the "wrong place!"

Of course service dogs can't be aggressive or attack-trained; I meant that of all dogs, black ones are what ppl are scared of the most. They are also the least likely dogs to be adopted from a shelter, just 'cause of their color.

Some bad ppl won't go after anybody with a dog, but moreso somebody with a black dog.

But, of course, you would not want your dog to protect you unless it was life or death. You would want your dog to be good so they could continue being a service dog.

Looks like the first round of book tour and signings will include NYC, DC, San Fran, Dayton Ohio, Seattle, Denver and Boulder. Let me know if anyone wants the dates. The link didn't seem to work.

I'm afraid she's too far away for me.....if she comes to L.A. let me know.

[/b][/color]

But, of course, you would not want your dog to protect you unless it was life or death. You would want your dog to be good so they could continue being a service dog.

I must admit.....I've used Brenda's "bark" to ward off any possible intruders [or, what I suspected to be intruders]. I trained her to bark.....not something CCI trained her to do.

After over 7 years with me, I thought it was time I gave her back her voice [this was last year]. I love it when I ask her to use it and she'll make sounds like she's trying to talk and then she'll bark. Wow! It's loud!!!!! :)

I can't imagine what it was like for her for so many years to be so quiet and now to be allowed to use her vocal chords......it must feel weird! I know I love hearing it.

Cindy

What a great time we had last night with Cindy, John, Wexler and all of our other puppy raiser and graduate friends! I think the count was 11 people and 9 dogs. All well behaved. We will be seeing most everybody on Saturday at the CCI graduation.

Edited by DisneyKidsDad

What a great time we had last night with Cindy, John, Wexler and all of our other puppy raiser and graduate friends! I think the count was 9 people and 8 dogs. We will be seeing most everybody on Saturday at the CCI graduation.

Pictures PLEASE!!!! Have fun with each other! Please give all the dogs a big kiss and lick from Roz & Brenny.