Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

I hear that "Cracker's" continues to do very well on the west coast! Cooler had a great home visit last week, and is learning her way around people and hospital visitation.

Jennifer's book is wonderful. Really explains a lot about dogs, how they work, what doesn't work, etc. I encourge all of y'all to read it. Available at your local library, as well as for sale.

So looking forward to seeing the pictures from CCI graduation.

I hear that "Cracker's" continues to do very well on the west coast! Cooler had a great home visit last week, and is learning her way around people and hospital visitation.

Jennifer's book is wonderful. Really explains a lot about dogs, how they work, what doesn't work, etc. I encourge all of y'all to read it. Available at your local library, as well as for sale.

So looking forward to seeing the pictures from CCI graduation.

It must feel really good to hear that your "puppy" is doing really well.

I can't wait to hear from the "CCI" folks too!

We visited the CCI Field office in L.A. last Friday. I don't know if we told you guys about it. It felt so good to go to CCI without having to plan a long road trip. It took 35 minutes and we were there.

A really generous donor gave CCI enough money to open this office space for two years. It's a great location and we hope that CCI uses it to get the "word" out about them right here in L.A. Enough so, that they can keep it open and expand on it. It would be great for all of us who live here.

We were able to pick-up new supplies for Brenda, without CCI or us going through the added expense of shipping or having to drive far. :)

I have to share something that happened between Brenda the "Service Dog" and a little girl, at a restaurant, last night.

Roz and I were sitting and having a meal together, while Brenda was under our table. The table was against a wall and she was lying against it, between my chair and the wall. If you looked you could see her face as she was lying there (not like some tables, where she's completely hidden underneath.)

A little girl had spotted Brenda and came walking over. Roz said she saw the girl but didn't stop her (for some reason, it just seemed so natural). The little girl knelt down to stroke Brenda's face. She sat, in a party dress, with her knees folded underneath her and was just ever, so gently patting Brenda's forehead.

Roz had lost sight of what was going on and got up from her seat to see better. It was a vision. Brenda had kept her muzzle on the floor as the little girl moved her face closer and closer (staring into Brenda's eyes), while patting her.

The child (about 5 or 6 years old) never said a word and Brenda just layed there, it was quite a moment. The beauty of a highly trained Service Dog like Brenda is their "instinct" to not move until told to do so. She trusts that we will not let anything bad happen to her.

Finally, it seemed like a long time but it was really only a few minutes, the mother came over and said that her daughter has autism and doesn't express her feelings. She went on to say that this is a very "quiet" moment for her. The mother was amazed at her daughter's response to Brenda. Honestly, it was a "magic" moment for all of us and for the folks who were sitting around us. It was a very powerful and moving experience!

Of course, Roz didn't miss the opportunity to tell the mother about CCI and tout how she too could have a dog just like Brenda for her daughter. I hope the mother follows-up.

The child never made eye-contact with any of us (except Brenda!) She had to be picked-up to leave and, as she was leaving, peering over her mother's shoulder, kept her stare on Brenda.

The people around us were absolutely in love with Brenda. They all said that it was a time between a dog and a child that they will not forget and thanked us for being there.

Certainly makes-up for the times that we're not so welcomed. I wish everyone could see the difference and the power that a dog can have in a challenged child's life!

Morey,

What a beautiful story. I certainly hope the mother follows up on getting her daughter a dog. It was proof positive just watching her with Brenda. Thanks for a heart warming story. And Ms. Brenny you are an amazing lady, along with your mom, Roz.

Hugs and licks all around.

OMG What a wonderful story. Brenda is certainly a good will ambassador everywhere she goes! As I read the accouts of your time at the restaurant the tears were rolling down my cheeks. I could just picture Brenda lying there quietly staring so non threatening communicating with this child. What a wonderful girl you and Roz have. I hope that that mother looks into a dog for her child. I bet she will after seeing how she "talked " with Brenda. Be sure to give her an extra hug tonight from her friends here on the boards!

Thanks. You're all great folks. I knew you'd appreciate hearing about our experience last night.

I thought a Service Dog would make such a great difference for Roz but, the love that Brenda's brought into my life is an added bonus, not to mention what she brings into the lives of other's.

I must admit.....I've used Brenda's "bark" to ward off any possible intruders [or, what I suspected to be intruders]. I trained her to bark.....not something CCI trained her to do.

After over 7 years with me, I thought it was time I gave her back her voice [this was last year]. I love it when I ask her to use it and she'll make sounds like she's trying to talk and then she'll bark. Wow! It's loud!!!!! :)

I can't imagine what it was like for her for so many years to be so quiet and now to be allowed to use her vocal chords......it must feel weird! I know I love hearing it.

At home or in public? It is fine at home, but not if she is barking in public. A business can legally kick her out if she is barking in public.

At home or in public? It is fine at home, but not if she is barking in public. A business can legally kick her out if she is barking in public.

I really can't see Brenda doing that. If there were a reason for her to bark there would be a very important reason and she would stop when help arrived. II don't think you need to worry.:rolleyes:

I'm guessing she doesn't bark in public, but you never know. There are some ppl out there who let their dogs behave poorly or do things the dogs or the handlers should not be doing in public. So, for anyone who doesn't know that a service dog should not bark in public, they know now.

We'reeeeee bacccck, First I want to thank Morey for that wonderful story!! The affect these dogs have on people is amazing. Our trip was very eventful. Besides spending 2 hours lost in NYC, it was great. It was a pleasure meeting DKD and his family. As he told you there were alot of dogs and people there. The next day we went to visit a couple of fellow graduates and Wex had another day of play. So far he's slept since we got home. We then made our way to CCI where he played with some puppies in training. Then to the graduation. It was nice to see everyone. But it was alot of driving. I guess I really need a cruise now! I'm going to post some pics and give a list of who the dogs are. The dogs in training I will not give their names at this time. Pic number 5 is for Roz and a dog I would take in a minute if released!

1. Orson

2. Orson and Wex

3. L-R Dog in training, Glenda (release dog), Wilara (Wex sister), Oswego (service dog), Dog in training, Wex, Orson

4. Wex and Wilara

5. Dog in training

Cindy

1865046396_JerseyPics007.jpg.ae1d043f3f76795549b807ab6b0b1af1.jpg

443751978_JerseyPics031.jpg.7657099526a007b7bf39b3aea1bffdf6.jpg

64976053_JerseyPics024.jpg.f18955211a6142eb6bb8508ace9f0edb.jpg

830454918_JerseyPics035.jpg.d0bcb74dea6e61fe2e77337f7dcb5390.jpg

13833323_JerseyPics011.jpg.f95f2298f9788c3ec77b38be6429ff42.jpg

Mornin' all:

I hope I don't loose this post. Our internet service is lacking on the "service" part, as of lately.

Cindy: Sounds like the boy had quite a time playing. I can't open the pictures right now, see above. Will check back later.

Quam: I'm sure you know Roz was talking about having to use Brenda's bark only in a threatening situation. In that case, who would care if you got "thrown" out.

This heat is killing us, along with the humidity.

Everyone have a great week.

Awww, too adorable. Orson has that happy face. I think I could pick him out in a crowd. Wexy is so shiny, just like Ms. Brenny. What fabulous hounds.

Yesterday, Jake the weimer wroner (sp) came to mom's nursing home. I guess he visits frequently, which she hadn't mentioned, but she knew his name. He was having such a good time. He went from room to room and visited.

The power of the pooch in action again.

I have to share something that happened between Brenda the "Service Dog" and a little girl, at a restaurant, last night.

Roz and I were sitting and having a meal together, while Brenda was under our table. The table was against a wall and she was lying against it, between my chair and the wall. If you looked you could see her face as she was lying there (not like some tables, where she's completely hidden underneath.)

A little girl had spotted Brenda and came walking over. Roz said she saw the girl but didn't stop her (for some reason, it just seemed so natural). The little girl knelt down to stroke Brenda's face. She sat, in a party dress, with her knees folded underneath her and was just ever, so gently patting Brenda's forehead.

Roz had lost sight of what was going on and got up from her seat to see better. It was a vision. Brenda had kept her muzzle on the floor as the little girl moved her face closer and closer (staring into Brenda's eyes), while patting her.

The child (about 5 or 6 years old) never said a word and Brenda just layed there, it was quite a moment. The beauty of a highly trained Service Dog like Brenda is their "instinct" to not move until told to do so. She trusts that we will not let anything bad happen to her.

Finally, it seemed like a long time but it was really only a few minutes, the mother came over and said that her daughter has autism and doesn't express her feelings. She went on to say that this is a very "quiet" moment for her. The mother was amazed at her daughter's response to Brenda. Honestly, it was a "magic" moment for all of us and for the folks who were sitting around us. It was a very powerful and moving experience!

Of course, Roz didn't miss the opportunity to tell the mother about CCI and tout how she too could have a dog just like Brenda for her daughter. I hope the mother follows-up.

The child never made eye-contact with any of us (except Brenda!) She had to be picked-up to leave and, as she was leaving, peering over her mother's shoulder, kept her stare on Brenda.

The people around us were absolutely in love with Brenda. They all said that it was a time between a dog and a child that they will not forget and thanked us for being there.

Certainly makes-up for the times that we're not so welcomed. I wish everyone could see the difference and the power that a dog can have in a challenged child's life!

Ya see...sometimes I ask myself, self, why the heck are you sitting out here in the hot sun talking about CCI and trying to raise money for them? Why are you and the family driving all over creation doing public awareness and fundraising? Why...the above story is one reason why.

Edited by DisneyKidsDad

We'reeeeee bacccck, First I want to thank Morey for that wonderful story!! The affect these dogs have on people is amazing. Our trip was very eventful. Besides spending 2 hours lost in NYC, it was great. It was a pleasure meeting DKD and his family. As he told you there were alot of dogs and people there. The next day we went to visit a couple of fellow graduates and Wex had another day of play. So far he's slept since we got home. We then made our way to CCI where he played with some puppies in training. Then to the graduation. It was nice to see everyone. But it was alot of driving. I guess I really need a cruise now! I'm going to post some pics and give a list of who the dogs are. The dogs in training I will not give their names at this time. Pic number 5 is for Roz and a dog I would take in a minute if released!

1. Orson

2. Orson and Wex

3. L-R Dog in training, Glenda (release dog), Wilara (Wex sister), Oswego (service dog), Dog in training, Wex, Orson

4. Wex and Wilara

5. Dog in training

Cindy

Oh! Yes! Number 5 is definitely mine!!!!! Do you know me, or what?

I'm glad you're back safely......I swear, the planning stages of a road trip are so much more fun than the actual trip....so much work!

Ya see...sometimes I ask myself, self, why the heck are you sitting out here in the hot sun talking about CCI and trying to raise money for them? Why are you and the family driving all over creation doing public awareness and fundraising? Why...the above story is one reason why.

Keep on talking and promoting [we love you for it]...and, Brenda will be the "good will ambassador" and, I'll just be the lady who takes care of her. ;)

Mornin' all:

I hope I don't loose this post. Our internet service is lacking on the "service" part, as of lately.

Cindy: Sounds like the boy had quite a time playing. I can't open the pictures right now, see above. Will check back later.

Quam: I'm sure you know Roz was talking about having to use Brenda's bark only in a threatening situation. In that case, who would care if you got "thrown" out.

Brenda would NEVER bark in public, unless I asked to do so. She's way too smart for that!!!!

I love to play the "bark" game at home. I ask her what she did today and give her the hand signal to bark and we have a really funny conversation! Because, before she actually barks, she makes noises that almost sound like words, it's so cute!

Morey,

What a beautiful story. I certainly hope the mother follows up on getting her daughter a dog. It was proof positive just watching her with Brenda. Thanks for a heart warming story. And Ms. Brenny you are an amazing lady, along with your mom, Roz.

Hugs and licks all around.

Nancy, I know we have or have known dogs who are the "most amazing" in ours or other's lives.....but, Brenda really is from another planet. She's so intuitive, so knowing of other's feelings....I've never known another dog like her.

I'm in "awe" of her on a daily basis.

OMG What a wonderful story. Brenda is certainly a good will ambassador everywhere she goes! As I read the accouts of your time at the restaurant the tears were rolling down my cheeks. I could just picture Brenda lying there quietly staring so non threatening communicating with this child. What a wonderful girl you and Roz have. I hope that that mother looks into a dog for her child. I bet she will after seeing how she "talked " with Brenda. Be sure to give her an extra hug tonight from her friends here on the boards!

Barbara' date=' I, too, hope the little girl's mom does look into CCI. That little girl was communicating with Brenda......it was magical! Thank you for your lovely words.[/b']

1. Orson

2. Orson and Wex

4. Wex and Wilara

5. Dog in training

Cindy

I love the pictures, thank you so much for sharing them. It's so much fun to share time with other CCI folks.

Mornin' all:

We're warming-up here, also. I don't mind the heat, it's the humidity. I literally melt!

I had one little boy who had not been diagnosed. His mother and I became pretty friendly. I saw her a couple of weeks ago and she said her son had been diagosed as autistic. I immediately went into my dog mode. Mom said she wasn't sure she wanted the responsibility and upkeep (care) ok, cleaning up the poop for a dog. I wanted to slap her and ask if she wanted to help her son or not. He is only 3, but large for his age. I know he is a handful, but I bet getting a dog would take some of the one on one attention away from mom having to do it all. Anyway, can't force people to do what they don't want to. I know I would be all over it and on a waiting list!

Will update move and such later. Our internet service is being a butt of late. Keep loosing post.

I had one little boy who had not been diagnosed. His mother and I became pretty friendly. I saw her a couple of weeks ago and she said her son had been diagosed as autistic. I immediately went into my dog mode. Mom said she wasn't sure she wanted the responsibility and upkeep (care) ok, cleaning up the poop for a dog. I wanted to slap her and ask if she wanted to help her son or not. He is only 3, but large for his age. I know he is a handful, but I bet getting a dog would take some of the one on one attention away from mom having to do it all. Anyway, can't force people to do what they don't want to. I know I would be all over it and on a waiting list!

Will update move and such later. Our internet service is being a butt of late. Keep loosing post.

I absolutely understand what she's talking about.....

• Brenda's upkeep is huge. She's always prone to ear infections, so, I have to clean her ears, daily.
  • I give her special vitamins for strengthing her bones
  • I give her salmon oil, everyday, with her food
  • I give her benadryl capsules with her morning meal
  • I brush her fur daily [because she has a double coat of fur]
  • I give special chew sticks, which prevent tartre and tooth decay
  • I take her for daily walks - picking up her pooh
  • I take her to the groomers every 3 months
  • I give her Heartguard and Advantix every month

What she gives me in return are days filled with laughter/love/confidence/joy/excitement/safety/reduction of stress/someone to listen to me and give me encouragement and new found friendships.

The nine points above are NOTHING compared to what she gives me back.

Roz:

I agree, but I do most of those things for my non service dogs. It is a responsibility, but if it meant her son progressing or not, I wouldn't give the upkeep a second thought. You saw what magic Brenny drummed up for that little girl. I just want to fix everything! :)