Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

Roz, I am all choked up reading that story. I didn't know the Brenny story. But how wonderful it worked out!!!! I would love it if you would email a few pics of her to me. It's hard to really see how beautiful she is looking at that tiny avatar pic. Things here are going ok. John is already sick after only two weeks of work. Those little rugrats gave him something already. We have our puppy raiser class this weekend, and we haven't been since May I think. Now I'm not sure if we are going to go. We'll have to see how John is feeling.

Cindy

Cindy, thank you for your kind words. I will try and send some better pictures of my girl. She's a purebred [with a Pedigree]. She's an English Lab; short, stocky and has an unusual double coat of fur....so, she looks and feels like a big, black teddy bear!

Wexy would love her energy! She's extremely playful and has been known to empty out her toy box [which is overflowing in our living room], to show off to us, as we sit in our recliners watching and laughing. She's very entertaining.

I'm sorry John's not feeling and I hope that he's his perky self very shortly.

Have a nice weekend and I'll work on those pictures!!!! ;)

Roz, you do know that you can go back in and edit your posts after you post them (for a certain amount of time after they're posted), right? Just push the "Edit" button that will appear on them during the time you can edit them. :)

Quam, I'm always in such train of thought I just keep typing before I lose what I'm thinking of. I've certainly noticed the "edit" button, I just haven't used it, yet. I'm going to start experimenting with it.

You are always such a wealth of information.

Quam, do you have a cruise planned? And, can you give us more information on some of the changes/improvements/laws coming down from the DOT in November?

Quam, I'm always in such train of thought I just keep typing before I lose what I'm thinking of. I've certainly noticed the "edit" button, I just haven't used it, yet. I'm going to start experimenting with it.

You are always such a wealth of information.

I love that button for adding stuff I forgot or to clarify something I thought sounded clear when writing it, but then reading it back sounded weird. :)

Quam, do you have a cruise planned? And, can you give us more information on some of the changes/improvements/laws coming down from the DOT in November?

Yup, on the Carnival Victory (Southern Caribbean). Of course, the island I was MOST looking forward to going on (Dominica), they recently nixed in favor of a sea day so they could make themselves more money. :mad::rolleyes:

I posted in this thread previously about the service dog-related regulations and also posted a thread in the Disabilities forum about the handicapped cabin booking regulations, but I haven't really read much on the other changes 'cause they don't apply to me (not being selfish, it is just the new regulations is a REALLY long document!! So, had to choose what to read and that would be the stuff I need to know for myself, plus the HC room stuff for friends and because that's always a hot topic on these boards with able-bodied ppl booking them for the space and all [i don't need or book HC rooms]).

I don't recall all the changes off the top of my head and I'm half-asleep right now, so am not gonna search for the info. right now, but if you search the thread, you should be able to find the service dog stuff, maybe search for "DOT" or "DOT regulations".

Edited by Quampapetet

I'm doing the "DOC DANCE"!! Downloaded the luggage tags and the Boarding Passes, we're ready to go and I do mean "we're'!

Morey is definitely onboard with this cruise. He had some thoughts of not going because he wasn't feeling well [he suffers with debilitating osteoarthritis] and, sometimes it can go into a dorment phase and he can feel wonderful for months and, then it rears its ugly head and he's unable to walk and must use a wheelchair.

The worst has past [for now] although, we will be taking his chair with us. He wants to get out on the open sea. I'm not pressuring him, I'm not making a big deal out of anything. He's talking about sitting on the Promenade Deck and just doing "nothing!" And, what a perfect way to do it......onboard a beautiful cruise ship!!!!!

So, I'm now getting excited again about the cruise with him and Brenny.

I hope everyone has fabulous cruises~~ Rich and I just got back from a weekend sailing trip with close friends. Nothing like relaxing in the cockpit with a glass of wine and a lot of laughs after a day sailing the boat yourself. No turn down service or room service though.

Thanks. That sounded like fun.

Roz, I'm so glad Morey decided to go on the cruise. Why stay home and hurt when you can hurt on a cruise ship!! :D Even if he does nothing, it always feels better away from home. And the DOC DANCE!! I love that!!!

Sunshine, I was wondering where you were. Glad you had a nice relaxing trip! You have had a busy year and needed a break!!

Now I am going to buy a wine card and some speciality dining reservations for our cruise!!

C

Roz, I'm so glad Morey decided to go on the cruise. Why stay home and hurt when you can hurt on a cruise ship!! :D Even if he does nothing, it always feels better away from home. And the DOC DANCE!! I love that!!!

Sunshine, I was wondering where you were. Glad you had a nice relaxing trip! You have had a busy year and needed a break!!

Now I am going to buy a wine card and some speciality dining reservations for our cruise!!

C

Cindy, me too! I agree about facing our challenges onboard a cruise can make it so much easier than just sitting at home and "pouting" about them. Morey's a very "black & white" kind of guy. He NEVER sees the glass as "half full"! For him, "it is what it is"!!!! He can frustrate the heck out of me. I have learned that he needs lots and lots of space to ruminate over his decisions and, I try and give it to him. It really worked this time.

I'm so glad to hear about all your planning for your cruise. I love the anticipation and planning part. Sometimes, I get on the ship and find myself taking a deep breath because, I'm finally there and it's really happening!!!!!

MEN!!! UGH!!! Wow it's amazing how they are so similar. Of course they say that about us too. For our 2007 cruise John was having problems with his neck. He went to the neck doctor at the hospital and had an MRI done. He made us bring the travel cancellation form to the doctor. When we met with the doctor after the test, he told us that John could just rest and see how it goes or maybe he would need surgery. When we got home John says "I can't believe I have to have surgery". Of course I was wondering if we were at the same appt. But surgery was all he heard. Needless to say, his neck was better by the cruise. Talk about frustrating.

Anyway, I just ordered a wine card and made reservations for the Pinnacle Grill for 3 nights!! WoooHooo My son is already freaked out about seasickness. In 2007 when he went with us, he didn't throw up he was just disorientated. I have been reading about the patch and pills. They both have pros and cons. They had given him pills and he only took them for 2 days and then he was fine. Of course the first 2 days of this cruise are sea days :eek: Last cruise, John and I got sick the first night. Same feeling my son had. But we have never gotten seasick on any cruise and it wasn't that rough. We had been on the ship all day and even had lunch on board. Very strange. I think I might bring some pills just incase we might need them.

MEN!!! UGH!!! Wow it's amazing how they are so similar. Of course they say that about us too. For our 2007 cruise John was having problems with his neck. He went to the neck doctor at the hospital and had an MRI done. He made us bring the travel cancellation form to the doctor. When we met with the doctor after the test, he told us that John could just rest and see how it goes or maybe he would need surgery. When we got home John says "I can't believe I have to have surgery". Of course I was wondering if we were at the same appt. But surgery was all he heard. Needless to say, his neck was better by the cruise. Talk about frustrating.

Anyway, I just ordered a wine card and made reservations for the Pinnacle Grill for 3 nights!! WoooHooo My son is already freaked out about seasickness. In 2007 when he went with us, he didn't throw up he was just disorientated. I have been reading about the patch and pills. They both have pros and cons. They had given him pills and he only took them for 2 days and then he was fine. Of course the first 2 days of this cruise are sea days :eek: Last cruise, John and I got sick the first night. Same feeling my son had. But we have never gotten seasick on any cruise and it wasn't that rough. We had been on the ship all day and even had lunch on board. Very strange. I think I might bring some pills just incase we might need them.

Mechlazine [i don't know if that's the correct spelling] but, it's close enough. You can buy it right over the counter [ask the pharmacist.] It's amazing. I suffer from Vertigo and take it when I get an attack. The doctor told me it would also work for seasickness.

The only side effect is, it does make me a bit drowzy, I wouldn't drive while taking it. But, your not going to be piloting the ship. Knowing you, you probably could!!!!

And, yes, men are so weird! But, I don't want to live without them!;)

I'm pretty lucky as I rarely (maybe never) get sea sick. But I do get land sick after several days at sail. And really land sick after a few days on a sail boat. Meclazine is my best friend then. My family laughs at me. It takes about a day for every day I was on ship to recover from the land woozies...

By the way, some of the dogs get car sick. They get meclazine before car trips as well.

I'm pretty lucky as I rarely (maybe never) get sea sick. But I do get land sick after several days at sail. And really land sick after a few days on a sail boat. Meclazine is my best friend then. My family laughs at me. It takes about a day for every day I was on ship to recover from the land woozies...

By the way, some of the dogs get car sick. They get meclazine before car trips as well.

Me too!!!! If I turn on the tap or when I'm showering [after a cruise], the room starts to spin [it must be the moving water thing]......so weird! Love that Meclazine!!!!!

When I was applying to CCI, I insisted that we have a dog that travels well, since Morey and I love car trips and cruising. And, boy does Ms. Brenny travel well. She just "honkers" down and sleeps!

A quick question about service dogs. I just got back from a cruise and at least one person was travelling with a guide dog. The woman appeared to be completely blind. Her dog was obsessed with me, and every time the dog saw me, would drag her person along so the dog could "visit" me. OMG, I was horrified, and had no idea what to do.

I don't think the dog should have actually graduated, y'know? But in that circumstance, I had NO idea how to behave to the dog. I did apologize to the woman, and told her I'd done nothing to encourage the dog. This kept happening throughout the cruise, and it got so that if I saw the woman and dog, I'd go in a different direction. Other people also commented on the dog appearing to have not been a star pupil.

Any suggestions? Though when I consider this, I suppose it is highly unlikely to happen to me again :)

A quick question about service dogs. I just got back from a cruise and at least one person was travelling with a guide dog. The woman appeared to be completely blind. Her dog was obsessed with me, and every time the dog saw me, would drag her person along so the dog could "visit" me. OMG, I was horrified, and had no idea what to do.

I don't think the dog should have actually graduated, y'know? But in that circumstance, I had NO idea how to behave to the dog. I did apologize to the woman, and told her I'd done nothing to encourage the dog. This kept happening throughout the cruise, and it got so that if I saw the woman and dog, I'd go in a different direction. Other people also commented on the dog appearing to have not been a star pupil.

Any suggestions? Though when I consider this, I suppose it is highly unlikely to happen to me again :)

I'm at home on a different computer - I'm Wizard-of-Roz, with Service Dog Brenda.

One of the most difficult things for people to do when they see a "working dog" is to not look at them. This is especially difficult for real dog lovers, who are missing their furbabies, who were left at home. However, the most important thing to remember when approaching a Service Dog is; "no touch, no talk, no eye contact!" Dogs consider "eye contact" a challenge. Whether it be for friendly interaction or attack, it's very important NOT to look into the dogs eyes. If you do get contact, stand very still, arms at your side, eyes in the sky and pretend you're a tree!

All that said, it can be tough to just stand still if you're on the way to the theatre.....my suggestion; ignore the dog and just keep moving, remembering not to interact in any way.

The dog was not acting appropriately and should have been corrected immediately. A vision impaired person can't see this and relies on the "tug" on the leash for the need to correct. It's a good idea to let them know that their dog needs "correction!" Although, you shouldn't have to do this. They should ALWAYS be in control of the dog.

Please don't judge us all by this poor behaving working dog. It's not the dogs fault, it's a lax handler's fault!

I'm actually shocked. Usually guide dogs are very well trained and never break from their owners. We are very different with our dog in the sense that we let people pat him. If they ask of course. But our dog goes to school and interacts with kids all day. We are not as strict with people unless they don't ask, then they get yelled at and no pats! :mad:

Thank you both for your responses. I know better than to approach a service dog for "puppy love" :) but am absolutely prepared to admit that my body language may have given a different message. I did NOT reward the dog for its misbehaviour, I'm a bit obsessive about that in my daily life. Didn't quite make like a tree, though, I fear.

Believe me, there were numerous people commenting on this dog's behaviour. And no, I don't judge all by one. I felt sorry for both the woman and the dog. The dog was obviously unprepared as was the woman. Thanks for the tips. I'll be much more aware of my body language if I encounter another service dog.

I hope everyone has fabulous cruises~~ Rich and I just got back from a weekend sailing trip with close friends. Nothing like relaxing in the cockpit with a glass of wine and a lot of laughs after a day sailing the boat yourself. No turn down service or room service though.

Sounds like fun, though if you had my dog there, you would've had that turn-down service, LOL!! Ever since our last cruise, she has been turning down the beds before she gets on them! :D Now, if only she could do room service.... :p

My son is already freaked out about seasickness. In 2007 when he went with us, he didn't throw up he was just disorientated. I have been reading about the patch and pills. They both have pros and cons. They had given him pills and he only took them for 2 days and then he was fine. Of course the first 2 days of this cruise are sea days :eek: Last cruise, John and I got sick the first night. Same feeling my son had. But we have never gotten seasick on any cruise and it wasn't that rough. We had been on the ship all day and even had lunch on board. Very strange. I think I might bring some pills just incase we might need them.

Get some Bonine or its generic, Meclazine, as that's the non-drowsy formula of motion sickness pills. The thing is, you can't just pop the pill when you already feel sick; you have to start the pill a day or two before the cruise and then take it daily throughout the cruise. If you get sick after the cruise, too, then continue taking the pills 'til you feel better.

I get motion sick on many things, including boats and ships (have thrown up overboard on a ferry in rough waters before), so I start the Bonine the day before the cruise. I still feel the motion and can feel uneasy from it, but I don't get sick. I continue to take the meds for the week after the cruise, too, since I am out of commission the whole week after the cruise from the constant dizzy feeling and other symptoms - it doesn't really help me at all then, but this past cruise I continued to take it anyway. But, the meds do help on the cruise itself, so I recommend them.

First, you have to stop bathing yourself in bacon. :p

Sounds like the dog needs a re-training visit from the program/trainer. Sometimes program dogs get untrained because the handler either doesn't do enough to keep up the training (gets lazy) or they don't know enough how to keep up the training. I've seen it happen (to a service dog belonging to someone I knew) and have heard of it happening.

If you don't feel like telling the person they think their dog needs re-training, you could always ask where they got their dog and then contact that program/trainer about the dog's behaviour on the ship (be sure to get the dog's name, too, and describe the dog and handler).

Most service dog handlers do keep high standards for how our dogs act and we continue to work with our dogs to keep those standards, but some ppl don't do this. Also, some ppl fake their pet as a service dog, sadly.

Mornin' all:

Quam: What a good pup you have. As for room service, good luck with that!

The bacon comment was funny. I went to see my mom the other day. She is in a nursing home. She keeps saving food for me to take home to Jezzy Lou. Which I politely take and then deposit in the trash, but it makes her happy. Anyway, I was in her room and I kept looking at her wheelchair, it had something brown on the bottom of the seat area. But she was talking so I just kept looking at this item trying to figure out what it was. I finally got up and went over to find a piece of bacon lodged between the seat and arm rest. I was able to retrieve it without her seeing it and deposit it in the trash!

Hope everyone has a great Friday.

It seems this meclazine is mostly for vomiting. My son doesn't have that problem. He seems to get some funny feeling without the throwing up. Does it help for that too??

I noticed yesterday on the HAL site that they were not charging for the 3rd person in the room. So I called up and they took off the $200 that they charged for my son! WooooHooooo Even though it's only $200, we were thrilled. Thats less we have to pay. I check everyday to see if the price has gone down. We had already gotten $600 off when some fluke thing happened on the website. John checked one day and it had gone down. Since then the price went back up to the original price and has stayed there. Flight price has never changed so we booked it. We didn't want to wait and maybe not get the flight we wanted.

Quam, Did you find out any info on St. Maarten?? I have written and called everyone and have now given up. I did find some info that said all we need was health certificate and recent rabies shot. So when Wex goes to the vet next week we will ask about getting a rabies even though he really doesn't need on til next year. Hopefully they will let us off the ship with that. If we need some kind of permit, we are just out of luck. I think it's pretty crappy that these places do not write back or return calls.

Cindy

First, you have to stop bathing yourself in bacon. :p

Sounds like the dog needs a re-training visit from the program/trainer. Sometimes program dogs get untrained because the handler either doesn't do enough to keep up the training (gets lazy) or they don't know enough how to keep up the training. I've seen it happen (to a service dog belonging to someone I knew) and have heard of it happening.

If you don't feel like telling the person they think their dog needs re-training, you could always ask where they got their dog and then contact that program/trainer about the dog's behaviour on the ship (be sure to get the dog's name, too, and describe the dog and handler).

Most service dog handlers do keep high standards for how our dogs act and we continue to work with our dogs to keep those standards, but some ppl don't do this. Also, some ppl fake their pet as a service dog, sadly.

:D about the bacon!!! Okay, I promise I'll stop :D

Too late now to gather info, but if it happens again (heaven forbid), I'll do that. I'm confident this was a service dog, NOT a pet masquerading as a service dog. And you are probably correct -- that the training wasn't being kept up.

Thanks for the reply, the info, AND the good "bacon" laugh :)