Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

Hi Wizard-of-roz,

Yes, we will save the point of the ship for you. Yes Randolph is coming with DH I know the H is for husband what is the D? I am a cane user. We are going to be in

Cabin D416, what is your Cabin? That is a good idea about the box. Do you work with the access office? Randolph has been on Princess and Carnival. And in Feb 2011 he is going to be on NCL this will be his first time. We are going to be on the Sapphire again in May 2011

I love to cruise as you can see;):o;):o:) What cruises have you been on with Brenda? Can you IM on CC?

Happy Cruising, Michele:)

"Randolph" it sounds like somone's butler. I love it! "D" is for "Dear" - some people think the "D" means something else [use your imagination!]

We love cabin E717 [on Princess] - it's a Handicapped Cabin shaped more like a mini-suite.

I always tell Princess Access Dept. about the placement of the box and then when I get onboard I go to the Purser's Desk and make sure it's all set. I speak with the Hotel Director and then I go to my cabin and speak with the Steward.

If you have a cabin with a Veranda they will place the box on your Veranda, my DH doesn't like this as much.

We're booked for September 24, 2011 going to San Francisco from L.A. We keep missing each other. Hopefully, one day we can cruise together.

Carnival is wonderful to deal with and treat our dogs beautifully.

NCL has the very best potty-box's on the high sea, I just don't care for the line. I think they lack ambiance. But, all in all a cruise is really what you make it.

Brenda will be on her 14th cruise in November and, she's been everywhere. She's been to the Caribbean/Mexico/Hawaii/Brazil/Switzerland/France/England/Italy/Germany and all over the U.S. She's a great traveler. I can't imagine going anywhere without her!

Brenda's now 10 1/2 years old. As long as she wants to go and can continue to work - she'll be by my side.

I love how active you are. Take care of "Randolph" and tell him I've got a gorgeous older woman named "Brenda" who'd love to meet him.

I'm not sure about IM on CC. Maybe someone else can answer that question.

Okay Folks, here's a new one.....I have a medical appointment, tomorrow, at a very distinquised and highly recommended clinic, in Downtown L.A. It's taken me months to get this appointment.

This morning the office manager called me to inquire about my Service Dog. [i always let "new" medical offices know about Brenda so there are no surprises and any doctors or nurses who have allergies can stay away from my exam room.] I don't have to do this but after many years, I have found that the "heads-up" is a welcomed thing and adds to my "comfort zone!"

He said, "because of the sensitivities to allergies in this particular medical field, would I be so kind to have Brenda "freshly groomed". He asked in such a gentle and kind manner, I couldn't resist. I said, "of course!"

It totally was NOT something that was on my calendar, I'm in the middle of a huge campaign event and, I have our CCI Workshop this weekend.........I'm inundated with work so that I can clear my calendar to take the drive to Santa Rosa right after my doctor's appt. tomorrow [the drive will take me at least 6 hours.]

Brenda loves going to the groomers, for her, it's a day at the "spa!" For me, it's a shlep!!!!! I'm glad she'll be happy about it. She did not need this appoinment, she was just groomed 5 weeks ago. I'm going to be a very accommodating new patient. But, in the future, after they meet Brenny, I will let them know that it is not necessary because she's groomed daily by me.

I just had to share this with you! Thanks, again, for listening. ;)

Okay Folks, here's a new one.....I have a medical appointment, tomorrow, at a very distinquised and highly recommended clinic, in Downtown L.A. It's taken me months to get this appointment.

This morning the office manager called me to inquire about my Service Dog. [i always let "new" medical offices know about Brenda so there are no surprises and any doctors or nurses who have allergies can stay away from my exam room.] I don't have to do this but after many years, I have found that the "heads-up" is a welcomed thing and adds to my "comfort zone!"

He said, "because of the sensitivities to allergies in this particular medical field, would I be so kind to have Brenda "freshly groomed". He asked in such a gentle and kind manner, I couldn't resist. I said, "of course!"

It totally was NOT something that was on my calendar, I'm in the middle of a huge campaign event and, I have our CCI Workshop this weekend.........I'm inundated with work so that I can clear my calendar to take the drive to Santa Rosa right after my doctor's appt. tomorrow [the drive will take me at least 6 hours.]

Brenda loves going to the groomers, for her, it's a day at the "spa!" For me, it's a shlep!!!!! I'm glad she'll be happy about it. She did not need this appoinment, she was just groomed 5 weeks ago. I'm going to be a very accommodating new patient. But, in the future, after they meet Brenny, I will let them know that it is not necessary because she's groomed daily by me.

I just had to share this with you! Thanks, again, for listening. ;)

Unless they ask you for proof of the grooming, how are they going to know you had her groomed? If I were you I would just give her a good brushing. If they DO ask for proof, then you have to decide what you want to do. Just my two cents.

Unless they ask you for proof of the grooming, how are they going to know you had her groomed? If I were you I would just give her a good brushing. If they DO ask for proof, then you have to decide what you want to do. Just my two cents.

I guess someone will get down on all fours and start smelling my Brenny!!!! I'll take pictures for you! :eek:

Your "two cents" are always welcomed. ;)

My guess is that someone, with a Service Dog, who went before me, had a dog that was NOT so well groomed and who's vest was also dirty and tattered. Because he did mention to me that her "clothing" should be clean, as well!

All it takes is someone with an SD to go out in public with a "scruffy" looking dog, with a dirty and unkept vest on to ruin it for the rest of us!!!! :mad:

I think that's what happened and, they're just being cautious.

This I gotta see! Poor Brenny, she will feel so violated. Wait until they see her velvet fur and they will feel silly telling that girl to groom up!

You think that's bad, when I went to pick her up at the groomers another dog would NOT leave her alone and actually tried to keep her from leaving when she was done......Yeh! Like that was gonna happen!

What a sight.....this little "squirt" of a dog had a real "thing" for Miss. Brenny and kept blocking her until she actually growled at him, as if to say, "you either move or I'm going to have to eat you!"

It takes a lot to bring her to that point but she had had enough!!!!!! I love my girl.....she aint gonna take any !@#$ from anybody!

Roz, I have never heard of someone asking for the dog to be groomed before before going to a doctors appt. I would have asked if the office was going to pay for it! The only time we give a heads up is when we make reservations for dinner and we want a table out of the way. As far as the dog at the groomers, I'm glad our Brenny showed him whos boss.

We had our CCI party last weekend. John took the camera to school so I haven't gotten the few pics we took on the computer yet. I think we should have had the party the day before, cuz it was dead at this place. It didn't help that the Patriots were playing that day either. Besides all of us, we only had 2 other people come in for baths. They had an yoglund (frozen yogurt for dogs) ice cream sundae bar set up with all kinds of goodies to put on it, a people and dog cake, and 4 gift baskets to raffle off. It was a beautiful day and we enjoyed the fresh air. I'm not sure but we probably made about 500.00, unfortunately most of it came from all of us. The owner of the pet store was just awesome! She got donations from all the businesses for the "people" basket which included, manicure, pedicure, massage, dinner gift certificate, just to name a few things in that basket. As well as donating a doggie, kitty, and an obedience basket from her own shop. We didn't win of course! But it was fun, they had bobbing for cookies, find the hotdogs and some other fun activities for the dogs to do. Of course the dogs just ate all day! :eek:

Tomorrow our final payment is due! WooooooooHoooooooooo It just makes the cruise closer and closer. Not as close as Roz but we'll take it. Everything is all set, except for the health cert which we will get the week before we leave. My son and his father are having a battle right now so he is counting the days! I'm so glad we are taking him, he really needs to get away from things. The kids are just crazy this year, so John is ready for the trip too. Me... I'm always ready. Although all these guys have to do is go. I have to do all the packing!!:eek:

Cindy

Sunshine I know how you feel. We take our one cruise a year and boy do we look forward to it!!! By Xmas the kids are crazy and John needs a break. And with my son going this year, it makes it so much easier for me. Roz will be going soon and we can talk about her all week!;)

Is this an allergy clinic? Otherwise, what did he mean by "allergies in this particular field"? If it is an allergy clinic, by all means, tell them ahead of time about your SD and request the last app't of the day so they can be sure the room is cleaned thoroughly before any other patients (who may have severe allergies to dog) enter it. Otherwise, you shouldn't tell them and you are lucky they aren't saying you can't bring her, which happens often to ppl who call ahead.

You can just brush her; "freshly groomed" doesn't mean you have to take her to a professional groomer. They just want to be sure you brush her just before you leave for your app't so that as little dog furas possible is left behind in their office. Same for her gear, which you later said they mentioned, since some types of gear (like service dog vests and fleece padding on harnesses) collect fur like it is its job. The amount of fur (and, thusly, dander) on such gear could be enough to set off allergies even with the dog freshly brushed.

The only time we give a heads up is when we make reservations for dinner and we want a table out of the way.

You could always just request a table out of the way without telling them why - or, what works better sometimes, ask for a table for one more human than you have (i.e. have a party of two? Ask for a table for three [which, in most places, would be a table for four]) so that your dog has enough space under the table without being on your feet. My dog is used to crowded tables, even if we sit in the center area of them, so I don't ask for this. LOL, one time at a group trip we had dinner as one of the first meet-ups. I was in the centerish area of a long table and after the dinner, when we got up to leave, the guy who was sitting right next to me the whole time was like, "Whoa! Where'd the dog come from?!" "She was under there the whole time." "Seriously?! :eek:" It was so funny, especially since I could've sworn he'd seen the dog when we were in the waiting area and then again when we all went to sit down to eat! :p

Besides all of us, we only had 2 other people come in for baths.

Sorry to hear it wasn't a very well-attended party. :(

They had an yoglund (frozen yogurt for dogs) ice cream sundae bar set up with all kinds of goodies to put on it

My dog loves Yoghund! I highly recommend it. It is all-natural and organic. She loves both kinds (I think they are a peanut butter kind and an apple & cheddar kind). In fact, I still have one in the freezer I need to give her one of these days even though summer has gone, though she really would be perfectly fine to eat it in the middle of a blizzard, LOL! :D

Tomorrow our final payment is due! WooooooooHoooooooooo It just makes the cruise closer and closer.

Yippie!!

Quam, We bought that yoglund for Wex and Bailee and they both threw it up. We never bought it again.

Sorry to hear that. Not all dogs can take a change of foods, plus some dogs are allergic to dairy (can't recall if there is dairy in those or not). Also, some dogs can't do cold/frozen foods. My dog has canned food from the fridge every other day (except the few times a month I use half-sized cans, which I buy for when we travel), so her stomach is used to cold foods. She also will chew on ice cubes sometimes if they fall on the floor from the fridge's ice dispenser. Wolfing food down can cause stomach upsets, too, but thankfully she hasn't had that even though she eats so ridiculously fast I wonder if she even tastes what she's eating. :rolleyes:

I've gotten them for my dog plenty of times over the last several years and she loves them. But I don't buy them too much, of course. (Don't worry, she is PLENTY spoiled in other ways!!! ;))

Roz, I have never heard of someone asking for the dog to be groomed before before going to a doctors appt. I would have asked if the office was going to pay for it! The only time we give a heads up is when we make reservations for dinner and we want a table out of the way. As far as the dog at the groomers, I'm glad our Brenny showed him whos boss.

We had our CCI party last weekend. John took the camera to school so I haven't gotten the few pics we took on the computer yet. I think we should have had the party the day before, cuz it was dead at this place. It didn't help that the Patriots were playing that day either. Besides all of us, we only had 2 other people come in for baths. They had an yoglund (frozen yogurt for dogs) ice cream sundae bar set up with all kinds of goodies to put on it, a people and dog cake, and 4 gift baskets to raffle off. It was a beautiful day and we enjoyed the fresh air. I'm not sure but we probably made about 500.00, unfortunately most of it came from all of us. The owner of the pet store was just awesome! She got donations from all the businesses for the "people" basket which included, manicure, pedicure, massage, dinner gift certificate, just to name a few things in that basket. As well as donating a doggie, kitty, and an obedience basket from her own shop. We didn't win of course! But it was fun, they had bobbing for cookies, find the hotdogs and some other fun activities for the dogs to do. Of course the dogs just ate all day! :eek:

Tomorrow our final payment is due! WooooooooHoooooooooo It just makes the cruise closer and closer. Not as close as Roz but we'll take it. Everything is all set, except for the health cert which we will get the week before we leave. My son and his father are having a battle right now so he is counting the days! I'm so glad we are taking him, he really needs to get away from things. The kids are just crazy this year, so John is ready for the trip too. Me... I'm always ready. Although all these guys have to do is go. I have to do all the packing!!:eek:

Cindy

The doctor's office insisted she be bathed and, she could NOT wear her gear. I don't care....she loves the groomer and that just meant she'd be that much fresher for CCI!

The party sounded like so much fun for the dogs. You don't need a huge crowd to have fun, although it would have made the donations better! You guys did amazing for the amount you had!

I'm so ready for the cruise.....I'm gonna start packing now!

Morey would NEVER let me pack his clothes. He's getting weirder and wierder about that, as he's getting older!!!!

[/b][/color]

Is this an allergy clinic? Otherwise, what did he mean by "allergies in this particular field"? If it is an allergy clinic, by all means, tell them ahead of time about your SD and request the last app't of the day so they can be sure the room is cleaned thoroughly before any other patients (who may have severe allergies to dog) enter it. Otherwise, you shouldn't tell them and you are lucky they aren't saying you can't bring her, which happens often to ppl who call ahead.

You can just brush her; "freshly groomed" doesn't mean you have to take her to a professional groomer. They just want to be sure you brush her just before you leave for your app't so that as little dog furas possible is left behind in their office. Same for her gear, which you later said they mentioned, since some types of gear (like service dog vests and fleece padding on harnesses) collect fur like it is its job. The amount of fur (and, thusly, dander) on such gear could be enough to set off allergies even with the dog freshly brushed.

Yes, it is an Allergy Clinic and Yes they did request that Brenda NOT be wearing any gear.

Amazing, but I totally get why they were concerned; there are folks who have deadly allergies and, the fact that a woman came out and cleaned up Brenda's spot where she was laying [right after she got up], was something to see. She sprayed the floor...she sprayed the towel and she got down on her hands and knees to clean. [i should have asked her if she was for hire!] :p

I have to respect their methods of protecting all their patients.

Cindy

Pretty soon, you'll be doing the "Doc Dance" love that!

Here's a pic or two from the CCI birthday party. The crossed paws is always my favorite. :D

I love, love, love those pictures.......You never told us that Wex cross's his legs. I love watching dogs that do that. They're so cute. We saw a dog at CCI who would bend her front legs in order to lay down. It was so funny to watch. :)

Sunshine I know how you feel. We take our one cruise a year and boy do we look forward to it!!! By Xmas the kids are crazy and John needs a break. And with my son going this year, it makes it so much easier for me. Roz will be going soon and we can talk about her all week!;)

You guys, I can't wait to get on the ship.........I'm going to sit and "stare" at the waves and the horizon and, "play dead!" I am so in need of a cruise ship.........I totally understand the want and the need for this kind of vacation........."Princess, take me away!!!!!!!!!!!"

And, "I don't think so!" There will be NO talking without me involved!!!!! ;)