Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

Roz, I got it at Petsmart for $3.97. What a deal! ;) He wore it all day and I think was sad when I took it off. The kids loved it! I always try to look for something that is comfortable and he can wear for an extended period of time.

DKD, That Orson is something else, I bet he looks adorable dressed up with his big smile!!

Cindy

Wow! Great deal! I'll have to check out my local PetSmart and see if they have anything for my girl.

Have a fun weekend, everyone! :)

Hi Roz,

My name is Frank and I too will be sailing on the Sapphire...just a couple weeks after you though with my service dog. I have received authorization from the Princess Access Office so that's one big hurdle down. My question is regarding the Health Certificate. 1) Is that all you have needed for Mexico? 2) Do you ever have any problems getting off in ports? He (Rocco) has finished training and has been everywhere, however this will be his first cruise with us. Thanks for all the advise you have shown on here.

Frank

Hi Roz,

My name is Frank and I too will be sailing on the Sapphire...just a couple weeks after you though with my service dog. I have received authorization from the Princess Access Office so that's one big hurdle down. My question is regarding the Health Certificate. 1) Is that all you have needed for Mexico? 2) Do you ever have any problems getting off in ports? He (Rocco) has finished training and has been everywhere, however this will be his first cruise with us. Thanks for all the advise you have shown on here.

Frank

Hi Frank, welcome and welcome "Bracco".

The Intl. Health Cert. from the Dept. of Food and Agriculture is very important because it asks your vet to inform them of your dogs vaccinations and useage of HeartGuard. It also asks for the condition of your dog - of which my Vet always attach's the following:

1. Declaration of Rabies Vaccination Certificate and a:

2. Animal Health Statement - this Statement is signed by your Vet and certifies that he has examined your dog and finds it clinically free of infectious, contagious or communicable diseases. This form goes a long way with all the TSA and the Immigration officials.

Bring your city dog license and any training certificates that you may have received from the organization that trained him. This is not necessary but it sure comes in handy. [i'm so glad that CCI provides this for us.]

Be very careful in Mexico [they don't have leash laws] and, there are strays everywhere. Stay with the group you're traveling with, do not venture out on your own. Be careful of the beaches and sand fleas. Do NOT take your dog to any farms or near livestock or horses.

You may be asked [after your cruise] if you visited any livestock or farms [by Immigration] while you were in Mexico and your debarkation will turn into a nightmare. We were once delayed by hours so that a very young and ambitious Immigration Officer could check all of Brenda's fur/paws/ears, etc.etc. This only happened once and now I know better about what to say if the question is asked.

I promise to save some ship for you. You will love how they treat you and your furry partner.

Don't forget to mention using the stairwell for his pottybox, it's so convenient and out of the elements and away from the crowds. However, if your in a wheelchair this will not work easily, the door is extremely heavy and there is a lip that has to be stepped over. If you have a veranda they can place the box there or on a deck.

Most importantly, have fun!

Hi Roz,

Frank

Hi Frank, welcome and welcome "Bracco".

The Intl. Health Cert. from the Dept. of Food and Agriculture is very important because it asks your vet to inform them of your dogs vaccinations and useage of HeartGuard. It also asks for the condition of your dog - of which my Vet always attach's the following:

2. Animal Health Statement - this Statement is signed by your Vet and certifies that he has examined your dog and finds it clinically free of infectious, contagious or communicable diseases. This form goes a long way with all the TSA and the Immigration officials.

Bring your city dog license and any training certificates that you may have received from the organization that trained him. This is not necessary but it sure comes in handy. [i'm so glad that CCI provides this for us.]

Be very careful in Mexico [they don't have leash laws] and, there are strays everywhere. Stay with the group you're traveling with, do not venture out on your own. Be careful of the beaches and sand fleas. Do NOT take your dog to any farms or near livestock or horses.

You may be asked [after your cruise] if you visited any livestock or farms [by Immigration] while you were in Mexico and your debarkation will turn into a nightmare. We were once delayed by hours so that a very young and ambitious Immigration Officer could check all of Brenda's fur/paws/ears, etc.etc. This only happened once and now I know better about what to say if the question is asked.

I promise to save some ship for you. You will love how they treat you and your furry partner.

Don't forget to mention using the stairwell for his pottybox, it's so convenient and out of the elements and away from the crowds. However, if your in a wheelchair this will not work easily, the door is extremely heavy and there is a lip that has to be stepped over. If you have a veranda they can place the box there or on a deck.

Thanks Roz! One question regarding the stairwell. I have seen on Holland America they place the potty box under the stairs on the boat deck (Deck 7 for Princess) but I am gathering thats not what you are describing. I am not in a wheel chair so thats not a problem. Where would the stairwell be? and what do they provide for you? Just the box or the box and shavings/newspaper?

I know these questions sound stupid but as much cruising as I have done, this is new territory when you have a dog with you :-)

Thanks for your patience!

Frank

Edited by talako

Thanks Roz! One question regarding the stairwell. I have seen on Holland America they place the potty box under the stairs on the boat deck (Deck 7 for Princess) but I am gathering thats not what you are describing. I am not in a wheel chair so thats not a problem. Where would the stairwell be? and what do they provide for you? Just the box or the box and shavings/newspaper?

I know these questions sound stupid but as much cruising as I have done, this is new territory when you have a dog with you :-)

Thanks for your patience!

Frank

Frank, absolutely no need to apologize at all. Cruising with a Service Dog changes everything about the cruise.....to the better!!!! Some of the crew have not seen their pets for a very long time and the sight of a dog onboard is a treat for some....then there's the folks who are deathly afraid of dogs, so be mindful and prepared for them!

You'll get so many questions from folks who have never been with a Service Dog, let alone onboard a cruiseship with one!!!! Be ready for; "how'd you get that dog onboard?" I always answer, "in my hanging bag!"

The "stairwell" is located in the aft [back] of the ship. If your cabin is near the back it's perfect and there's one on every deck. The stairwell is only used by the crew and for absolute emergencies. They place a 4x5 box [usually made of thick cardboard, filled with shavings] - [this is Princess's way of doing it] - at the very corner of the stairwell.....after you've taken your dog there once, he will totally "get-it" and all you have to do is open the door, say the command and your dog will go to the box.

I always bring my own bags to pick-up the litter and I leave the bag beside the box or drop it into a wastebasket [if provided]. The crew will discard the waste. They usually leave the extra bag of shavings near the box so I just keep emptying the shavings into the box to keep it as fresh as can be. If you don't see the bag, ask for it so you can fill the box more than what they usually do [they kind of skimp on filling it] and Brenda will slip around on the stuff to grab her footing, while urinating. The more stuff in the box, the better!!!!!

They'll have me before you and I'll lay the ground work for you!

Frank, absolutely no need to apologize at all. Cruising with a Service Dog changes everything about the cruise.....to the better!!!! Some of the crew have not seen their pets for a very long time and the sight of a dog onboard is a treat for some....then there's the folks who are deathly afraid of dogs, so be mindful and prepared for them!

You'll get so many questions from folks who have never been with a Service Dog, let alone onboard a cruiseship with one!!!! Be ready for; "how'd you get that dog onboard?" I always answer, "in my hanging bag!"

The "stairwell" is located in the aft [back] of the ship. If your cabin is near the back it's perfect and there's one on every deck. The stairwell is only used by the crew and for absolute emergencies. They place a 4x5 box [usually made of thick cardboard, filled with shavings] - [this is Princess's way of doing it] - at the very corner of the stairwell.....after you've taken your dog there once, he will totally "get-it" and all you have to do is open the door, say the command and your dog will go to the box.

I always bring my own bags to pick-up the litter and I leave the bag beside the box or drop it into a wastebasket [if provided]. The crew will discard the waste. They usually leave the extra bag of shavings near the box so I just keep emptying the shavings into the box to keep it as fresh as can be. If you don't see the bag, ask for it so you can fill the box more than what they usually do [they kind of skimp on filling it] and Brenda will slip around on the stuff to grab her footing, while urinating. The more stuff in the box, the better!!!!!

They'll have me before you and I'll lay the ground work for you!

Oh perfect! That sets my mind at ease. I know EXACTLY where you are talking about now with the stairwells!

Yeah I know what you mean regarding being mindful of others that may not like dogs or even be allergic.

I look forward to cruising with him. We are fortunate that we dont have to fly to San Pedro, as I am only a 6 hour drive away (I am a little over an hour from Vegas) and Rocco just LOVES his car rides :-)

Thanks again for all the advice! You have been wonderful!

Frank

Roz, I'm getting ready to take my first Princess cruise. I think that I asked Ms Muff but frankly I forget. Does Princess have the First Step dog litter. I know everyone hates it but it is what I use for Valentine. We are looking so forward to this Princess cruise. David is going to scuba dive while Valentine and I stay and enjoy the ship. Thanks.

Barbara

To clarify, "HeartGuard" is the particular brand of heartworm prevention medication that Roz uses; it is not a requirement to use that brand to get into any country. You can stick with the brand that you have been using (remember to get your dog tested for heartworm before you start it up if you don't give it all year; if you give it all year, get your dog tested once a year or at the most every other year, as there is still a small chance of a dog on prevention getting heartworm). If you don't give the pills all year, you definitely want to do it before you go to a warm climate like Mexico (or the Caribbean).

Even though the health certificate will show the rabies vaccination, it is still a good idea to always bring the rabies certificate with you on every int'l trip. I'm glad I do, as one trip my vet forgot to write on the health certificate that the vaccine was the three-year vaccine and it was over a year since we'd gotten it. Thankfully, the rabies certificate cleared things up and we didn't have to make a call to the vet/have the vet fax paperwork internationally/etc.

The health certificate already states where the checks boxes and signs, so no separate form/statement is needed.

The city license doesn't matter to anybody but the city (though most places require the dog to be wearing it at all times, so the dog likely will still be wearing it on its collar - no need to take it off for the trip). Training certificates aren't needed for the cruiseline or immigration, but in countries without public access laws for service dogs they might come in handy if somebody is giving you a hard time with access. I have never needed to show my card (which has a scan of the certificate on the back - makes carrying it MUCH easier!) for access in any country.

The certificate DOES allow you to get a USDA endorsement on a health certificate (required by some countries - not Mexico) for free, though, so if you need to do that, make sure you bring your certificate with you to the USDA office (or, if mailing in, send a copy of it with the other papers).

Be careful of sand fleas for yourself, too!! I think I got those once and they were NOT fun!! A bunch of us were on the tiniest sandy area pulling the rented kayaks we used up out of the water, so we were only there for a minute or two, but then we all had to RUN to the bathroom to wash our arms down 'cause they were itching sooo bad!! We had red spots all over our arms for over a week! I don't recommend it. :p

I did come across one loose dog/stray in Mexico and it was right outside the cruise terminal - we were literally only several feet from the guy who checks your documents in order to let you in or not. The dog kept trying to follow us/block us, so one of the cab drivers dragged the dog away from us so we could walk to the documents guy and then get inside. We also came across a loose dog in Key West, FL, which was the previous day's port of call on that cruise, so it happens everywhere. Oh - and there were several loose dogs in the "downtown" area of Grand Turk and they were barking at my dog.

And remember to come back on here and tell us how it went! :D

Roz' date=' I'm getting ready to take my first Princess cruise. I think that I asked Ms Muff but frankly I forget. Does Princess have the First Step dog litter. I know everyone hates it but it is what I use for Valentine. We are looking so forward to this Princess cruise. David is going to scuba dive while Valentine and I stay and enjoy the ship. Thanks.

Barbara[/quote']

Hi Barbara, I'm so excited for you.

I hope for Brenda's sake that they're using the wood shavings [i am going to double check with Allison Muff before our cruise.] She and I once battled about this. The shavings are so much more "Lab" friendly. Since Lab's have webbed toes.....stepping on the hard stuff can be a bit painful. And, Brenda does more "potty-refusal's" with it, than anything else.

If Valentine will only use the "First Step" stuff, you may want to bring a bag along to sprinkle on top of the shavings and the same goes for me. I will bring a bag of mulch to sprinkle on top of the "First Step", if they mistakingly use it instead of the shavings.

There's always a way to get around what the various cruiselines may be using for "litter"! I also have a roll of artificial turf that I can lay on top of whatever they may be using. I can either leave it behind or I can take it to the shower the night before [bring along a big trash bag] and put it in there [in case it's not perfectly dry] and bring it home with me to really sanitize.

Since we drive to the pier my options are more doable than if we were flying in.

Again, have a super-wonderful time!!!!!

Frank, I sent you some information about driving to the pier and it went "poof"......so weird. I also noticed that one of my posts posted twice. The boards have been haunted!!!!!

I wanted you to know about bringing "Rocco's" extra stuff in a container [make sure you put a luggage tag and extra signage on it] and dropping it at the pier with your own luggage - since you're driving, which is also my most favorite way to cruise - In all of our cruising, the container has ALWAYS made it to our cabin before the Muster Drill or dinner. I keep Brenda's food and vitamins in my carry-on luggage, along with a collapsible water dish - just in case.

Go to WalMart and purchase a Rubbermaid container, with a lid [about $7.00]. Tape it up. Put your signs on it and, you'll see it later. I put my pillow, fan, extra tennis balls, soda's, bottled water and anything else that will lighten my load in this container.

Since Brenda has a double-coat of fur.....I must brush her every day or she starts looking like a "scruffy Teddy Bear" - she has a very unusual coat for a Pedigreed English Lab - but, I love it. I also make sure that her vest is in good condition and I wipe it down every day, as well! I want to represent Service Dogs and their handlers in a very good light. I want to walk into the Dining Room with a clean and well-groomed dog. [No dirty looks for her or me!!!!] :o;):rolleyes:

I hope some of this helps!

Frank, I sent you some information about driving to the pier and it went "poof"......so weird. I also noticed that one of my posts posted twice. The boards have been haunted!!!!!

I wanted you to know about bringing "Rocco's" extra stuff in a container [make sure you put a luggage tag and extra signage on it] and dropping it at the pier with your own luggage - since you're driving, which is also my most favorite way to cruise - In all of our cruising, the container has ALWAYS made it to our cabin before the Muster Drill or dinner. I keep Brenda's food and vitamins in my carry-on luggage, along with a collapsible water dish - just in case.

Go to WalMart and purchase a Rubbermaid container, with a lid [about $7.00]. Tape it up. Put your signs on it and, you'll see it later. I put my pillow, fan, extra tennis balls, soda's, bottled water and anything else that will lighten my load in this container.

Since Brenda has a double-coat of fur.....I must brush her every day or she starts looking like a "scruffy Teddy Bear" - she has a very unusual coat for a Pedigreed English Lab - but, I love it. I also make sure that her vest is in good condition and I wipe it down every day, as well! I want to represent Service Dogs and their handlers in a very good light. I want to walk into the Dining Room with a clean and well-groomed dog. [No dirty looks for her or me!!!!] :o;):rolleyes:

I hope some of this helps!

Roz,

Thank You so much for the tips! Yes I will do this! It sound like an easier way to get Rocco's things packed and he has a few things (he is a bit of a Diva) LOL!!!! I am fortunate as Rocco sheds very little but he insists on getting brushed every day and loves it.

Thanks to EVERYONE that has posted! Everyone has helped me in many ways. I am looking forward to many more cruises with Rocco.

Frank

Roz,

Thank You so much for the tips! Yes I will do this! It sound like an easier way to get Rocco's things packed and he has a few things (he is a bit of a Diva) LOL!!!! I am fortunate as Rocco sheds very little but he insists on getting brushed every day and loves it.

Thanks to EVERYONE that has posted! Everyone has helped me in many ways. I am looking forward to many more cruises with Rocco.

Frank

Yeh!!!!!! Not only are you "hooked" - soon, our friend "Rocco" will be too!!!! Don't forget to take him on a wonderful walk on the Promenade Deck to smell those fabulous sea breezes and to watch the ocean. Brenda absolutely loves this part of cruising.

On her very first cruise, I was so scared that she might try to jump into the water since she adores the ocean. But, she's so much smarter than me. She "gingerly" stuck her head through the rails and wafted her nose in the air - what a sight to see!!!! :p

Also, and most importantly, Princess will provide you with a "doggie life vest". Brenda has her own - I purchased it from "Outward Hound" - it was well worth it, since we've started cruising with her, thank God, we've NEVER had to use it - but it's certainly kept in a handy place while onboard. I want her to be as safe as me. It also goes into the Rubbermaid container.

Yeh!!!!!! Not only are you "hooked" - soon, our friend "Rocco" will be too!!!! Don't forget to take him on a wonderful walk on the Promenade Deck to smell those fabulous sea breezes and to watch the ocean. Brenda absolutely loves this part of cruising.

On her very first cruise, I was so scared that she might try to jump into the water since she adores the ocean. But, she's so much smarter than me. She "gingerly" stuck her head through the rails and wafted her nose in the air - what a sight to see!!!! :p

Also, and most importantly, Princess will provide you with a "doggie life vest". Brenda has her own - I purchased it from "Outward Hound" - it was well worth it, since we've started cruising with her, thank God, we've NEVER had to use it - but it's certainly kept in a handy place while onboard. I want her to be as safe as me. It also goes into the Rubbermaid container.

Its funny you mention the life vest...I too have been looking around for one for him also but thats good to know that Princess would have one if I am unable to find one. I will look at the "Outward Hound" that you mentioned.

I too am looking forward to seeing Rocco's face and nose go crazy wafting the sea air! :-)

Frank

its funny you mention the life vest...i too have been looking around for one for him also but thats good to know that princess would have one if i am unable to find one. I will look at the "outward hound" that you mentioned.

I too am looking forward to seeing rocco's face and nose go crazy wafting the sea air! :-)

frank

;) :) :d

Roz,

Thanks for the information on the potty box. Since the wood chips won't work for Miss Valention I guess we will bring our own, I was wondering if a health certificate is necessary if we are not leaving the ship, I do know that thry need shot records and such but not sure about the certificate, It's funny but often when you discribed needing all of this paperwork we will ask the ship, island, and find information on the internet and find it not necessary. I have a feeling that it is coming froim California, Anyway we have never had any problems and I guess thats all that matters,

Be sure to give Brennie a hug and kiss from Barbara and Valentine

Well, it WAS just Halloween.... :eek: :p

I wish the bag that I used was still sold. It was made by Outward Hound, but has been discontinued for years and I've not come across one like it yet. :( The handle part of the telescoping handle (double-shafted; the handle joined the two shafts together) was broken by the airlines a few years ago, so I wish I could get a new one! But, this bag works perfectly, so I use it broken, which is usually okay anyway since I have to stack it on top of my own suitcase to get it anywhere (my other hand is on my dog's harness) when flying. It is just when others are with me or bring me to the airport (then one of them pulls it for me) or when I'm on a road trip and such that I need to pull it.

Anyway, it is a wide-mouth duffle-looking bag with pockets lining the two long sides inside of the bag. I could never get by without those pockets! That's what I can't find in any other bag. But, if any of you ever come across such a bag, definitely get one as your dog's bag (you'll need it if you fly - I don't think the airlines accept tubs anymore) ... and then, of course, tell me where you found it, LOL! ;)

I would definitely recommend bringing your own life vest, as most cruiselines don't have them and even if they do, they might not have the proper size for your particular dog's body.

I have the kind that has the extra buoyant area under the dog's cheeks to keep the dog's head out of the water should the dog get tired (a real possibility in an emergency cruise situation - not so much in the family pool or something, though I have heard of dogs getting too tired in the middle of swimming in a lake).

I was at Petsmart yesterday and noticed they now have Bodyglove brand doggy life vests. They were a unique design I hadn't seen in doggy vests before - there were different sections of buoyant areas separated by glued-together areas (like the grout in between tiles is lower than the tiles) and it was harder than the vest I have (which would mean the buoyancy would be less likely to crush out of it by small things). It didn't have the extra head buoyancy area, though.

Do remember to NEVER put anything on any life vest (for you or the dog), never sit on it, never crush it, etc. because this will make it less buoyant (which, obviously, is not something you'd want if you really needed it!). I carry my dog's vest separate from a bag when on a plane and when going onto the cruise ship (when going through security, I place it in one of the bins so other items won't crush it at the end of the conveyor belt; when storing it in the overhead bin, I place it on top of my carry-on bag so nobody else can damage it with their luggage).

Quam: This one says it has 2 slot pockets in it. I goggled "duffle bags with telescopic handles" and this came up. It was under an American Tourist suitcase, but don't know if they are also the manufacturer. It was an American Tourist url, but had about 5 add ons. I hope it is like you were talking about. Let me know. Love to help others........

Black Cat Face Rolling Duffle Bag

This 22? nylon bag has padded straps with snap closure, a removable shoulder strap, a telescoping handle and wheels to make toting it a breeze, zippered compartments on both sides, and 2 slot pockets in the main compartment. A Whales & Friends® exclusive! Ships to Continental U.S. only. No air shipping.

Roz' date='

Thanks for the information on the potty box. Since the wood chips won't work for Miss Valention I guess we will bring our own, I was wondering if a health certificate is necessary if we are not leaving the ship, I do know that thry need shot records and such but not sure about the certificate, It's funny but often when you discribed needing all of this paperwork we will ask the ship, island, and find information on the internet and find it not necessary. I have a feeling that it is coming froim California, Anyway we have never had any problems and I guess thats all that matters,

Be sure to give Brennie a hug and kiss from Barbara and Valentine[/quote']

They're not actually "wood chips", it was more like "wood shavings" [much lighter and easier to walk on], I think you're better off bringing what you know Valentine will be happy with and the cruiselines have been known to change things on a whim.

And, as far as the Certificate is concerned, Princess "Access Dept." requested it - and, the folks at the check-in, in Long Beach, Los Angeles and even Seattle also asked for it. They have no idea whether we'll be leaving the ship at the various ports or not. Since I always do a Vet Check before we cruise it's not a big deal for the Vet to give me this along with his signed statement that Brenda is not carrying any contagious diseases, etc., etc.

I think making sure that all Brenda's "ducks are in a row", when it comes to her paperwork and traveling with her just makes my life easier in the long run.

Traveling for you and Valentine is certainly not new to you and you know what has worked in the past.

All my hugs and licks right back at you and Miss. Valentine!

Quam: This one says it has 2 slot pockets in it. I goggled "duffle bags with telescopic handles" and this came up. It was under an American Tourist suitcase, but don't know if they are also the manufacturer. It was an American Tourist url, but had about 5 add ons. I hope it is like you were talking about. Let me know. Love to help others........

Black Cat Face Rolling Duffle Bag

This 22? nylon bag has padded straps with snap closure, a removable shoulder strap, a telescoping handle and wheels to make toting it a breeze, zippered compartments on both sides, and 2 slot pockets in the main compartment. A Whales & Friends® exclusive! Ships to Continental U.S. only. No air shipping.

Thanks, but that's not what I meant by pockets. I mean it has LOTS of pockets, which are big enough to hold bottles (not slot pockets, which are just those "hidden" type ones to hold small things like change). It not only organizes things, but helps keep bottles of liquids from tipping over (which could lead to a spill). I can fit grooming spray bottles, Dasuquin (same size bottle as Cosequin) bottles, ear wash bottles, silver spray bottles, etc. in the pockets as well as other things like toothbrushes, toothpaste, can-tab popper, etc. in them. Then the rest of the bag is for the bigger things like first aid kits, larger containers, food, and other supplies.

Hey everyone! Just checking in. Can you believe it has been 4 months since Crackers graduated and is now living in California. I keep hoping that Roz will suddenly run into a handsome golden retriever with a Canine Assistants vest and a little girl at his side...... Cooler is now 6 months old and doing so well. Retrieves multiple items, including my glasses and car keys and gently hands them to me. Took her on rapid transit and lunch at the cafe in Nordstroms yesterday and she was fabulous. Well almost fabulous. The cafe was crowded and our tables were very close to each other. She was quite interested in potato chips that were on the floor and shopping bags. Finally, I cleaned the chips up myself and was able to convince her to do a nice down stay under the table. I had two other volunteers with me and their two dogs, so it had it's challenges. I think y'all would laugh to see Cooler sleeping with her nose less than an inch from the backside of one of the other dogs. I certainly did not care, she was down, she was quiet, she was asleep...... whew

Edited by sunshine426

Sunshine, How wonderful that Cooler is doing so good! She must be getting so big. Hope to see some pics of her in the near future!

Roz dahling, One of our puppy raiser friends raised this dog and long story short, it ended up being a hearing dog in LA. The recipient sent an email and some pics of the dog and was talking about the workshop that you went to. So she must have been there with you. The dogs name is Enzi and it's a yellow lab. What a small world!!

Cindy