Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

Mornin' all:

Cindy: No, no costume for Jezzy Lou. So far she doesn't have the social skills to partake with other humans! She has a pink snuggy and a red with white snowflakes sweater. Thats the extent of her wardrobe right now. Auntie put her snuggie on her yesterday. After it go nice and wet she took it off so it could dry. Right now she is snuggled up in Aunties lap with a blanket on her.

We are "adjusting". Lots of sweats to wear! My doors were frozen shut on the jeep this morning. Had to warm them up with water to get Trav to the bus stop.

Hope everyone has a great Friday.

Hello all, I just found this board and have a TON of questions. I tried to read as many posts as possible but didn't find my answers. We will be traveling on our first cruise with my service dog next month. We are going on Carnival and will be stopping at Grand Cayman, Belize, Honduras, and Cozumel. I've read that couple of these ports have very prohibitive rules for taking your dog on land. Can anyone tell me SPECIFICS about each of these ports? We are going for our vet visit to get paperwork done soon and want to make sure I have all my ducks in a row. My vet is a small time vet and I would have to bet she's never filled out or rarely filled out such paperwork.

My next question is in regards to leaving Todd on ship instead of taking him with us. Do the cruise ships provide "doggie daycare"? Is he allowed to just stay in a kennel in our room? I asked the cruise line directly and they sent me from place to place to place and I never did get a straight answer.

Last question (at least for now LOL) Does anyone know what Carnival is currently using for litter? When I asked I was told, it could be mulch, paper (which Todd would NEVER potty on), dirt, sawdust, or those dog litter pellets. Nothing like narrowing it down for me. While I will bring a bag of mulch as suggest here, I'd like to introduce Todd to litter if that's what is it just to make sure he has no allergies or issues.

My Toddy man is a 17 pound rat terrier trained to detect heart arrythmias. He does a wonderful job. He also picks items up for me (a cue we are working on since my stroke in Sept). He is the model service dog when his coat is on and the typical love bug when he's not working. hehehe I have his vest but was wondering if it might be better or order a soft mesh type vest for him for the warm weather on the cruise. His current one keeps him pretty toasty in the summer. Do they even make such a thing? This one came with his paperwork and I haven't really "shopped" for him except to get a few hoodies, raincoat, etc to keep him more comfortable.

Ok, that was another question!!! LOL What I REALLY need to know is about the ports I mentioned and any advice about taking him with me people may have. Also about pet sitting.

Thanks so much everyone, I am SO excited about taking him with me. I can't begin to tell you how much better I feel when he's around to monitor me.

Dina

Mornin' all:

Cindy: No, no costume for Jezzy Lou. So far she doesn't have the social skills to partake with other humans! She has a pink snuggy and a red with white snowflakes sweater. Thats the extent of her wardrobe right now. Auntie put her snuggie on her yesterday. After it go nice and wet she took it off so it could dry. Right now she is snuggled up in Aunties lap with a blanket on her.

We are "adjusting". Lots of sweats to wear! My doors were frozen shut on the jeep this morning. Had to warm them up with water to get Trav to the bus stop.

Hope everyone has a great Friday.

Boy, you really know how to go from one extreme to another....I bet the air you're breathing is pretty darn fresh! Although, desert air can be so wonderful [when it's dry and warm!] Now, you've got all those snow-capped mountains and even snow all around you!

Hello all' date=' I just found this board and have a TON of questions. I tried to read as many posts as possible but didn't find my answers. We will be traveling on our first cruise with my service dog next month. We are going on Carnival and will be stopping at Grand Cayman, Belize, Honduras, and Cozumel. I've read that couple of these ports have very prohibitive rules for taking your dog on land. Can anyone tell me SPECIFICS about each of these ports? We are going for our vet visit to get paperwork done soon and want to make sure I have all my ducks in a row. My vet is a small time vet and I would have to bet she's never filled out or rarely filled out such paperwork. [b']*Since you do have access to the internet you can check online about what each of your ports requires for Todd. You can get the phone numbers of the Immigration authorities in these ports and ask your good questions of them. Their laws change. *If you are an IAADP Member [intl. Assoc. of Assistance Dog Partners] they can answer your questions about the most updated requirements in any given country [or how you can obtain this info. 1-888-544-2237.]. [/b]

* You can ask your TA to do some of this for you.

Since Brenda is now a Senior Service Dog.....and, we are still cruising with her....I don't want to stress her, anymore than necessary. We stay onboard with her or, we go off the ship separately [leaving one of us with her at all times!] It's my way of protecting her.

My next question is in regards to leaving Todd on ship instead of taking him with us. Do the cruise ships provide "doggie daycare"? Is he allowed to just stay in a kennel in our room? I asked the cruise line directly and they sent me from place to place to place and I never did get a straight answer. *Yes, you may leave Todd in your cabin. Be sure to let your Steward know that he's in there and to not go in!!!!! Carnival provided us with a "Do Not Disturb-Dog Inside" sign. If they don't provide you with one-make your own. They will not take care of Todd for you [unless, like we did, we made a friend of one of the crew members and he took Brenda on a walk and even wanted to feed her for us, I never left her long enough for this.] And, I wouldn't count on this. Todd is a Service Dog and knows how to behave, and certainly you won't be leaving him for hours and hours.

Last question (at least for now LOL) Does anyone know what Carnival is currently using for litter? When I asked I was told, it could be mulch, paper (which Todd would NEVER potty on), dirt, sawdust, or those dog litter pellets. Nothing like narrowing it down for me. While I will bring a bag of mulch as suggest here, I'd like to introduce Todd to litter if that's what is it just to make sure he has no allergies or issues. *We were on the Carnival Splendor, in January, and they used a mulch. But, they can change that on a whim. So, to be safe, bring a small bag of what Todd most likes and sprinkle it on top of what they're using. If you have a Veranda Cabin have them put the box on the Veranda, or you can ask them to place it in a "crew storage closet close to your cabin", they don't have to put it on a public deck. Be assertive about where you would the box to be. And, how it will best work for you.

My Toddy man is a 17 pound rat terrier trained to detect heart arrythmias. He does a wonderful job. He also picks items up for me (a cue we are working on since my stroke in Sept). He is the model service dog when his coat is on and the typical love bug when he's not working. hehehe I have his vest but was wondering if it might be better or order a soft mesh type vest for him for the warm weather on the cruise. His current one keeps him pretty toasty in the summer. Do they even make such a thing? This one came with his paperwork and I haven't really "shopped" for him except to get a few hoodies, raincoat, etc to keep him more comfortable. *Brenda weighs 70lbs and has a "triple" coat of thick, black fur. She wears her vest when we enter the ship [so everyone can see that she is a Service Dog], She wears her vest anytime we leave the ship. It's best to keep his vest on, so that everyone can see that he's a Service Dog and you won't get asked the myriad of inane questions. Such as, "how did you get your dog onboard?" Since your not blind.....look out, you'll be inundated about what Todd does. Be prepared for the folks who are missing their furbabies and, just want to touch him. Unless the ship's air is not working, he and you will be very comfortable.

You can allow for pats but, only after they've asked you for permission.

Remember, you represent ALL OF US when you travel with your SD. So, teach the public how to act around Service Dogs.

Ok, that was another question!!! LOL What I REALLY need to know is about the ports I mentioned and any advice about taking him with me people may have. Also about pet sitting. *Eventhough a port may allow you to enter with the paperwork you have, it doesn't mean it's a safe port for Todd. A lot of these foreign ports have no leash laws and there are dogs running free. I never feel safe on the beaches with Brenda and I NEVER leave the touristy areas with her. In the shopping areas you'll be more safe, since the stray dogs stay away from the people.....but, if you're planning some excursions that include; ziplining or going onto farms or out of the way villages.......Todd is safer on the ship. Use your good judgement.

Thanks so much everyone, I am SO excited about taking him with me. I can't begin to tell you how much better I feel when he's around to monitor me. *I totally understand that "safe" feeling. If you're traveling with someone else and they can "sit" with Todd for some of the time that you'll be off the ship, that would be best for Todd. I don't like it when Brenda is not right by my side. I'm so attached to her......in every way!!!!! That's another set of issues! [Mine!]

The ship itself will have it's own challenges without you worrying about a diseased dog coming near or attacking your "hero!" Protect him first!

Be careful of the lounge areas, they can be very dark and people are not expecting a dog to be there [even though they've seen you with him]. I bring "caution" tape with me and use it if the area is questionable and I have no other choices. Be mindful of the eating areas and the debri on the floors. Make sure Todd is on his best behavior in the Dining and Buffet areas.

Some folks "hate" or are very allergic to dogs and will see you coming and literally and physically move away from you. Don't take it personally. ;)

Make sure he doesn't "sniff" or "lunge" out to visit with people in the elevators [they can get very congested.]

Make enough copies of all of his paperwork so that you can just hand the folks at the embarkation desk their own copy and have one for the Purser's desk and keep one on you.

Most importantly, have a wonderful time. I hope I've been of some help to you.

You will enjoy every minute of cruising with Todd and he'll love the open sea. The movement of the ship will be like cradling him to sleep.

You MUST come back and tell us all about your cruise.

Edited by wizard-of-roz

Roz

This ValentinesMom's worse-half. I have a question in response to you response to Todds Pet. Since it is past Nov 3 and the new DOT regs are in effect, aren't the cruise lines required to furnish you with all the requirements for getting your animal into port? Also, it stated they must supply a person to watch your animal if you are unable, due to regulations, to take your animal ashore. I was real interested in these new regs which is why I am questioning this.

Barb and Valentine said to say Hi, hugs and licks she said, to you and Brenny.

Roz

This ValentinesMom's worse-half. I have a question in response to you response to Todds Pet. Since it is past Nov 3 and the new DOT regs are in effect, aren't the cruise lines required to furnish you with all the requirements for getting your animal into port? Also, it stated they must supply a person to watch your animal if you are unable, due to regulations, to take your animal ashore. I was real interested in these new regs which is why I am questioning this.

Barb and Valentine said to say Hi, hugs and licks she said, to you and Brenny.

Barb & Valentine and "their worst half!": Hi! Even with NEW regulations it is very difficult to get EVERYONE onboard [no pun intended.] Will the person be trustworthy enough to not leave your SD unattended. Would they know or understand various commands and responses. I don't think they're ready yet! Laws are put in place but it takes responsible people to act on those laws.

YOU are ALWAYS responsible for your Service Dog. I would NEVER leave anyone else to care for and maintain her [unless, I thorougly interviewed them.] Even if the DOT and the DOJ said that each carrier should have someone onboard to care for your Service Dog.......would you truly trust that to a person who has no clue about dog behavior - let along, a Service Dog?

Maybe, in the not-to-distant future there may be someone onboard the cruiselines who has a background in Service Dog handling and all that goes with it. I don't think they're ready......Baby steps, my dear, baby steps!!

I think getting the various modes of transportation to recognize the Service Dog and to allow them "access" is HUGE for us. I'm so excited that I'm NOT hassled anymore when I call to book a cruise. It so much easier today, than it was just 5 years ago!!!!

Mornin' all:

Maybe, in the not-to-distant future there may be someone onboard the cruiselines who has a background in Service Dog handling and all that goes with it. I don't think they're ready......Baby steps, my dear, baby steps!!

Wouldn't this be a wonderful job for our very own Ms. Sunshine? Cruising and taking care of SD dogs! I wanna go........

Mornin' all:

Wouldn't this be a wonderful job for our very own Ms. Sunshine? Cruising and taking care of SD dogs! I wanna go........

Now, that's what I'm talking about!!!!! ;) Exactly the kind of person I'd want to be with my Brenny! You're right Nancy, a perfect job for her!!!!!

Unfortunately, right now, there aren't enough folks who cruise with their Service Dogs......Note to Self: Get on Oprah Winfrey and tell the world!!!! :p

Edited by wizard-of-roz

Mornin' all:

A new career for me!!!!! I love this one!!! Meeting dogs as wonderful as Orson, Denver, Brenda, Valentine and the list goes on.......

On another note, Cooler behaved so well at the memorial service. Not such a good girl at lunch later that day, but fabulous at the service....

Roz.

I would never leave Valentine on board being doggy sat! He just doesn't understand. LOL Plus I either need her or not is how I feel' date=' It will be nice though when they can tell you what paperwork and restrictiions is needed;)[/quote']

Yeah I am the same way...my Rocco would be so confused! :D

Frank

I ordered some luggage tag holders on a recommendation from a gal on the Princess Boards. I haven't received them yet. I'll let you guys know how I like them. The website was *****.com. I'm always laminating the tags and stapling them on, only to have them get torn off by the dock workers and luggage handlers so, I'll see how these work. I would always put at least two tags on each piece of luggage, just in case but these holders should spare me that detail.

Nice find!

I fold mine, wrap clear packing tape around them (faux lamination), punch holes in the top and bottom with a hole puncher, and use string to tie them onto my luggage (I tie the knots at least three times). It works well.

I'm gonna show this holders you found to our group's leader.

BTW, I recommend you bring a roll of scotch tape on the cruise so you can tape together the disembarkation tags (at least on Carnival - I don't recall the Royal Caribbean ones being an issue). One of my tags fell off as the guy loaded the luggage onto the cart 'cause I found it in the hallway after. Thankfully, that bag went out onto the correct conveyor belt right around the same time as my other bags, so I didn't have to go looking for it.

Hello all' date=' I just found this board and have a TON of questions. I tried to read as many posts as possible but didn't find my answers. We will be traveling on our first cruise with my service dog next month. We are going on Carnival and will be stopping at Grand Cayman, Belize, Honduras, and Cozumel. I've read that couple of these ports have very prohibitive rules for taking your dog on land. Can anyone tell me SPECIFICS about each of these ports? We are going for our vet visit to get paperwork done soon and want to make sure I have all my ducks in a row. My vet is a small time vet and I would have to bet she's never filled out or rarely filled out such paperwork. [/quote']

First, pets (and emotional support dogs) are not allowed on cruise ships. I'm mentioning this due to your screen name and the fact you said "pet" below and that I'm getting the feeling you purchased "paperwork" from one of those scam faux certification Web sites. If your dog is in fact trained to do tasks for you that mitigate your disability and is also public access trained, then, yes, it is allowed onboard the cruise ship.

For the Cayman Islands, you need (amoung other things) a rabies titer test and I believe they have the six-month wait after the titer before the dog can enter the country.

For Mexico, you need a health certificate and rabies certificate.

I don't know about Belize or Honduras.

The vet doing the health certificate must be a USDA-approved vet, which not all vets are. If your vet isn't, hopefully they can refer you to somebody else in your area who is. Otherwise, call your local USDA office, as they may know who to refer you to.

My next question is in regards to leaving Todd on ship instead of taking him with us. Do the cruise ships provide "doggie daycare"? Is he allowed to just stay in a kennel in our room? I asked the cruise line directly and they sent me from place to place to place and I never did get a straight answer.

You need to work it out with the cruise ship as to how your dog will be handled at the ports he cannot get off at. This is part of the new DOT regulations for ships (you can search this thread to read them' date=' if you wish).

I would never recommend somebody to leave their service dog either alone or with a cruiseline employee, as you never know what can happen to the dog or to you, without the dog there to help you. I'm not able to go out without my dog, as she is my mobility dog, so if she can't go, I can't go. Not that I would leave this special dog who is worth a lot of money and time (not to mention the emotional bond) anyway. I leave her with her groomer because I trust my groomer and she, of course, is dog-smart.

Last question (at least for now LOL) Does anyone know what Carnival is currently using for litter? When I asked I was told, it could be mulch, paper (which Todd would NEVER potty on), dirt, sawdust, or those dog litter pellets. Nothing like narrowing it down for me. While I will bring a bag of mulch as suggest here, I'd like to introduce Todd to litter if that's what is it just to make sure he has no allergies or issues.

They use "Second Nature Dog Litter", as stated in a document I just got from them this past week. As in the past, they tell you to bring your own stuff if you want anything else. (That stuff they use is the paper pellet dog litter.)

If you bring mulch, make SURE it is not cocoa mulch, which is poisonous to dogs because it is made from cocoa/chocolate. Get Cypress mulch.

I have his vest but was wondering if it might be better or order a soft mesh type vest for him for the warm weather on the cruise. His current one keeps him pretty toasty in the summer. Do they even make such a thing?

Yes, you can find mesh vests. Will it make a difference? I doubt it, but that's up to you to decide. Remember to offer your dog water often - I recommend a folding travel bowl (I use the plastic Outward Hound ones, but some like the fabric kind) or a PetTop (screws onto the top of most bottled water bottles and allows the dog to drink via a ball like the bottles you put in hamster cages). Do NOT let your dog drink tap water in any of those foreign countries (although Cayman might be all right) and don't let him drink from puddles in any country (including the States).

A lot of these foreign ports have no leash laws and there are dogs running free. I never feel safe on the beaches with Brenda and I NEVER leave the touristy areas with her. In the shopping areas you'll be more safe, since the stray dogs stay away from the people.....but, if you're planning some excursions that include; ziplining or going onto farms or out of the way villages.......Todd is safer on the ship. Use your good judgement.

Loose dogs are everywhere, including in U.S. ports (I came across one in Key West the same cruise I came across one in Cozumel; I've also seen them in the Bahamas and come across them in Grand Turk, but they've never been a huge problem, whereas some U.S. dogs have been).

I did Playa Mia beach in Cozumel and there weren't any (other) dogs and everything was just fine. I've not had a problem on Bahamas land trips, either. The beach I did in St. Thomas was a deserted private island, so that doesn't really count, although there were wild goats and some sort of chicken-type animal (they didn't really look like the chickens I've seen before) living on the island - my dog was off-leash, but on voice control and e-collar.

We go to all sorts of places and don't have issues. I don't do ziplining (uhm, WAYYY too high up for me!!!!!!), but if I did, I'd just have somebody in my party watch her while I ziplined just like we have to do at Disney World on rides service dogs can't go on.

Make sure Todd is on his best behavior in the Dining and Buffet areas.

Especially since the other week somebody brought their dog on a Carnival ship and in the dining room each night they let the dog EAT and DRINK from their plate(s) and glass(es)!!! :eek::mad: Likely a pet somebody tried to sneak on. Disgusting that Carnival didn't stop this issue!

A new career for me!!!!! I love this one!!! Meeting dogs as wonderful as Orson, Denver, Brenda, Valentine and the list goes on.......

On another note, Cooler behaved so well at the memorial service. Not such a good girl at lunch later that day, but fabulous at the service....

Thank goodness Cooler was good at the service.....he's still a pup and will let you know it whenever he can!

I find it hard not to crack up when Brenny does something silly!!!!!!:o

Nice find!

I fold mine, wrap clear packing tape around them (faux lamination), punch holes in the top and bottom with a hole puncher, and use string to tie them onto my luggage (I tie the knots at least three times). It works well.

I'm gonna show this holders you found to our group's leader.

BTW, I recommend you bring a roll of scotch tape on the cruise so you can tape together the disembarkation tags (at least on Carnival - I don't recall the Royal Caribbean ones being an issue). One of my tags fell off as the guy loaded the luggage onto the cart 'cause I found it in the hallway after. Thankfully, that bag went out onto the correct conveyor belt right around the same time as my other bags, so I didn't have to go looking for it.

I got the luggage tag ticket holders. They're wonderful. It didn't take long to get them and they're made really well. I think they'll hold-up really good!!! I highly recommend them!

Thank goodness Cooler was good at the service.....he's still a pup and will let you know it whenever he can!

I find it hard not to crack up when Brenny does something silly!!!!!!:o

She is 6 months old! Since that is a time when fear related issues somtimes arise, I'm keeping her out in as many different environments as possible. The Memorial service was good, as it was very people friendly. Tears were mostly bitter sweet and we even had some clowns show up. Which of course could have caused some fear issues, but Cooler handled them like a champ, even giving one a kiss on his big red nose, and barking along with them as they sang a song....

Lunch, she was more interested in falling leaves, buzzing bees and the smell of my tostito chips than lying quietly at a down stay.....Overall though, she continues to do well.

As for leaving you service dog with others...a very tricky subject. As the reason they are service dogs is they mitagate or help with a disability. So, if you need them, how can you leave them ashore???? In some cases a family member or caregiver can also provide the assistance temporarily, but in the case of medical alert dogs... seizure responce, seizure alert, cardiac alert....That is where it is gray and tricky, and I am certainly not judge, jury or opinion giver.

I do think you have to be very careful who you leave your service dog with. I work with very young service dogs in training, and you would not believe the training and testing I went through, before I could "volunteer" with them.

Still, if the cruise line wants me to come take care of SD's, I am so "on board" with the idea!!!

As for leaving you service dog with others...a very tricky subject. As the reason they are service dogs is they mitagate or help with a disability. So, if you need them, how can you leave them ashore???? In some cases a family member or caregiver can also provide the assistance temporarily, but in the case of medical alert dogs... seizure responce, seizure alert, cardiac alert....That is where it is gray and tricky, and I am certainly not judge, jury or opinion giver.

I do think you have to be very careful who you leave your service dog with. I work with very young service dogs in training, and you would not believe the training and testing I went through, before I could "volunteer" with them.

Still, if the cruise line wants me to come take care of SD's, I am so "on board" with the idea!!!

I absolutely agree with every word.

Changes that happen in the SD world are always slow to enforce. Seeing someone like YOU onboard would be fantastic. But, just like having "sign language interpreters" onboard, it would take a lot of planning on the part of the cruiselines. Would it be impossible to see someone with your training skills to be onboard to "caretake" Service Dogs? - Not impossible but definitely something that would take lots of pre-planning.

Certainly being without your SD who "alerts" you to a life threatening condition would be extremely questionable. If I had a dog who "alerted" me to something that had the potential of killing me, my dog and me would be "stuck together like glue!"

Maybe Sunshine can just go on cruises all of us are going on and take care of our dogs? She can be like a "dog nanny". I wouldn't hesitate a minute to leave Wex with her. And I think she would be quite entertained. LOL

Oh! Yeah! Brenny's "tugging" on the leash when she's outside, on the Promenade Deck, would make "Sunshine" think that she's only a "pup in training". "Bad dog", "bad dog!" :D

Ha Ha Ha: Bad Dog.... There was a pop song years ago about "bad boys". Would not attempt to sing it in public, but lately, you can hear me singing it to both my own Sandy and her partner in crime "Cooler". Of course both dogs tails are wagging like crazy, since they really don't know I am singing "bad girls, bad girls, whatcha going to do, whatcha going to do when they come for you................"

Ha Ha Ha: Bad Dog.... There was a pop song years ago about "bad boys". Would not attempt to sing it in public, but lately, you can hear me singing it to both my own Sandy and her partner in crime "Cooler". Of course both dogs tails are wagging like crazy, since they really don't know I am singing "bad girls, bad girls, whatcha going to do, whatcha going to do when they come for you................"

You are so cute.....I'd pay to hear you sing any where, any time! ;)