Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

Hi Roz and welcome back! It sounds like you had a wonderful vacation! I am sooooo ready for this trip on Saturday.

I have a question for you or anyone else that has experience. When you arrive at the pier in LA and check in, do you have to meet anyone special from the ship (like the hotel director or anybody) to board the ship with your service dog?

I know this question is probably stupid but I was just curious if I just check in and board like normal or if they bring us (me and service dog) on personally.

Thanks for your patience...its Rocco's first cruise and I would like to have all my ducks in a row :) hehe

Frank

Frank, were you on the Oosterdam last year? Did you make our door signs? I still have mine and used it last week! What a small world! :D

Oh my gosh! Yes that was me :D It makes me feel so proud that you still have the door sign and still use it!

A small world indeed!

I came close a few times with "Crackers" giving away his real name. And it is such a handsome name to go with his handsome self. Cooler is such a cute girl and I am sooooo loving having her home. She hasn't had the best outing behavior the last few times. She has been easily distracted, a bit mouthy and jumpy..... the first few hours at the house were a bit testy. She was testing the waters, now, she is snoozing on my lap and I think almost back to her own self. I will let you know tomorw

Now, the Muppet Litter. Was an actual litter. I didnt' work with many of them as most were ready to graduate about the time I was competing volunteer training. I remember a "Sprocket" and a "Rowlf". Now I refer to Bam and Pretty as Muppets because that is what they look like.....

Yeah, pups go through stages, plus they have to learn that the rules and commands are the same with each person and at each place they go (to generalize everything). I'm sure it takes a lot of energy and patience to be a puppy raiser!!!

Not sure I'd want a dog named Rowlf, but I do love the Muppets!

BTW we had a yellow lab (Sinda) on our cruise. (But she wasn't as pretty as Brenda. ;)) Her "handler" was in the Thermal Suite twice when I was there and Sinda seemed to enjoy the relaxing atmosphere too! :D

I'm not quite sure what a "Thermal Suite" is (I am definitely NOT a spa type of person!!), but if it is like a sauna, I'm surprised they allowed the dog in there. I know Carnival doesn't allow it, as I got a document from them about service dogs on cruises and it said dogs aren't allowed in the sauna and one other similar place in the spa (perhaps the Thermal Suite?). Also, in a sauna a dog could easily overheat, so they don't belong in there anyhow for their own safety/health reasons.

Hi Everyone, we're back and it was a wonderful and sunfilled trip. The difference in a "good" cruise and a "great" cruise are the thousands of other folks who are onboard with you. And, we had some of the nicest and most friendly group [there were some exceptions but honestly, I can only count them on less than one hand!]

That's good to hear! Sometimes on these boards you hear about nightmare passengers, which would not at all be fun. On my Royal Caribbean cruise, most ppl were great, but one guy accused one of my friends (to my face, without her being present) of faking her disability because he saw her walking around the ship after he'd seen her using a wheelchair in port (she only needs it for long distances). It is ppl like that who I don't like meeting.

He knew I love their hand lotion and made sure that I had, at least two bottles every day!!!!! ;)

Did you actually use that much each day?! Or did he just give you that much so you could take the extras home? 'Cause, if the former, your hands must be like butter about now! :p

When we first boarded the ship, the box that was provided for Brenda, in the stairwell was 2 1/2 x 3 ft. Imagine a 68 pound Lab trying to make the tightest circle she could to make sure that her potty made it into the box. It was not going to happen! She's a really good sport and made an effort, but please [dogs don't potty "vertical"]!!! :( I alerted Seree to the issue and in less than 1/2 hour he supplied us with a 4 x 4 box filled with wood shavings, much more appropriate for my size dog. Apparently, before we boarded there was a woman with a very small "alert" dog and, the box worked fine for them. :rolleyes:

Ugh! How annoying! I'm glad they were able to fix it for you. That's like on Royal when they gave me a 2' x 2' box, my poor dog. I think these boxes sometimes are made by ppl who have never seen a dog before!

I was surprised there wasn't more turkey, cranberry and holiday fare!!!!

Were you on the cruise on Thanksgiving itself? If so, they didn't have a special holiday dinner?! How sad!

I definitely missed talking to you guys but had I gone into the Internet Cafe I believe that Mr. Morey would have "imploded!"

Glad you didn't; that sure would've been messy to clean up and the cruiseline would've charged ya for it!! :p

I have a question for you or anyone else that has experience. When you arrive at the pier in LA and check in, do you have to meet anyone special from the ship (like the hotel director or anybody) to board the ship with your service dog?

I know this question is probably stupid but I was just curious if I just check in and board like normal or if they bring us (me and service dog) on personally.

I've not cruised from LA, but FL, but on Royal Caribbean I just got in line with everybody else and then when I checked in, somebody came to get the paperwork and make copies of it for the ship. Then we boarded like normal with everybody else (no wait time for anybody).

On Carnival, I went through the VIP line 'cause the regular line was too long for me to stand in. The employee at the end of the line who checks your paperwork said he was waiting for me and told me (or brought me?) where to go to get my key/charge card for the ship. On that cruise, the waiting room was EXTREMELY full that they needed a few hundred more seats for everyone! Ppl were standing and sitting on the floor everywhere; it was nuts! I'm so glad the cruiseline didn't make me wait in that, especially with all the children nearby who you know would want to pet/play with "the doggy". They took me up in the elevator right away after getting my card and then boarded me. There was a short line on an outdoor deck of the ship (back-up from the ID photos for the cruise cards getting taken), but I tolerated it (line, heat, and direct sun) and was on the ship soon after.

So, I think it depends on the cruiseline, how busy they are, whether or not general boarding has been called yet, etc. Don't worry about it, though, 'cause they'll get you where you need to go! Happy cruising!

WB Roz! It sounds like you had a great time. I'm so glad. We missed having you around. just one comment about Morey and eating. I guess something happens to mens tastebuds as they get older. My late father, brother, neighbor and John are all having this problem. My mother read an article about it in the paper. Some wierd thing(one of many) happens to them. I will cook something and he loves it, month later I'll make it and he hates it. It's driving me nuts. My neighbor says her husband is the same way and is driving her nuts too. :confused: Its a man thing! :eek:

Glad you liked the pic. ;)

Cindy

Hi Roz and welcome back! It sounds like you had a wonderful vacation! I am sooooo ready for this trip on Saturday.

Thanks for your patience...its Rocco's first cruise and I would like to have all my ducks in a row :) hehe

Frank

Frank, I can't emphasize this enough......BRING COPIES OF ALL YOUR PAPERWORK ON YOUR DOG. Walk over to the "Handicapped" line, you'll be directed there. Give the person who's checking you in, your passport, credit card and ALL of your dogs paperwork. It will be faster and easier. Otherwise, they will take about 1/2 hour to copy it all and it's way too time consuming!!!!!!

And, they're ever so grateful for your being so prepared.

Have a wonderful cruise.

Edited by wizard-of-roz

WB Roz! It sounds like you had a great time. I'm so glad. We missed having you around. just one comment about Morey and eating. I guess something happens to mens tastebuds as they get older. My late father, brother, neighbor and John are all having this problem. My mother read an article about it in the paper. Some wierd thing(one of many) happens to them. I will cook something and he loves it, month later I'll make it and he hates it. It's driving me nuts. My neighbor says her husband is the same way and is driving her nuts too. :confused: Its a man thing! :eek:

Glad you liked the pic. ;)

Cindy

Thank you! I loved it!!!!! Brenda had a superfantabulous time!

What's up with these men? Now I understand the Demi Moore thing!!!!!!! I just keep that "perennial" smile on my face and let him have his way!!!!!!! ;)

He doesn't want to eat there, now....then he changes his mind and, he does want to eat there......he doesn't like this, now.....then he does like it!!!!! I give-up! And, for those of you gals whose hubbies are under the age of 40 [maybe I should have said 50]........just wait!!!!! He's become very fussy.

The week of the cruise absolutely "flew" by! I couldn't make time stand-still!!!!

Now, we're in the "count-down" mode for you! I want to go with you so bad!!!!!

We'll help you count the days......and, then I'll pray that the days go by very, very slowly, while your onboard!!!! [it won't work, I tried!]

Edited by wizard-of-roz

Hello All, We got home from our cruise on the Crown Princess. Valentine sure was glad to get home! She climbed up on hur pillow on the sofa and that was it until bedtime She even wanted daddy to carry hur up to bed. This was our first trip with Princess so we followed Roz. with how to handle the paper part and thie only thing that I can think of is she is on the west coast and I am on the right cost. I was never once asked for any paper, not one for Valentine. When we got to Roatan they said that they wanted to "see" the dog. I took her down and one guy looked in her ears and smiled and her and that was it. I thought it was all very weird.

We did hit some rough water. Funny but we have been in 50 foot seas and Valentine has never gotten sea sick but she did this time. Barf bags had been placed all around the ship. I did decide to get off in Cayman and boy did it rain. I had to go back and give Valentine and David a bath. You know how all that wet hair smells. yuk. I did get a formal picture of Valentine but I don't know if I can get it on but I'll try. If not I'll get David to do it tomorowl. More later

Hello All' date=' We got home from our cruise on the Crown Princess. Valentine sure was glad to get home! She climbed up on hur pillow on the sofa and that was it until bedtime She even wanted daddy to carry hur up to bed. This was our first trip with Princess so we followed Roz. with how to handle the paper part and thie only thing that I can think of is she is on the west coast and I am on the right cost. I was never once asked for any paper, not one for Valentine. When we got to Roatan they said that they wanted to "see" the dog. I took her down and one guy looked in her ears and smiled and her and that was it. [i']I thought it was all very weird.[/i]

We did hit some rough water. Funny but we have been in 50 foot seas and Valentine has never gotten sea sick but she did this time. Barf bags had been placed all around the ship. I did decide to get off in Cayman and boy did it rain. I had to go back and give Valentine and David a bath. You know how all that wet hair smells. yuk. I did get a formal picture of Valentine but I don't know if I can get it on but I'll try. If not I'll get David to do it tomorowl. More later

Yey! Welcome home! Sounds like you had a very good cruise and, other than Valentine getting sea-sick sounds like everything went well.

I've had Brenda's Paws and Ears looked at [going to Brazil] and, then returning from the Mexican Riviera, a while ago!

I think there are variables depending on the Immigration official, Port Authority, etc.

This last trip an Immigration Officer [upon our return to San Pedro] came out of the booth, walked around Brenda [all the while just looking at her] and then motioned me to go forward. You never know what they may or may not do. I had all her paperwork ready to show if they had asked!

We'd love to see pictures.

Does Sunshine just live to make us cry? Just another wonderful story Sunshine. Of course I was crying right along with that lady in the video. Thanks so much for sharing all these videos and stories with us. Each one is more heartwarming than the next. Just proves how truely wonderful these dogs are, and how much they change peoples lives.

Cindy

http://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DsTdJy7JKSIQ%2B%2B&h=c66d9

I don't know if this link will work, but if it does, enjoy...This is the hospital I take my service dogs in training to visit...

I work for a non-profit agency and while I was playing this, people started gathering around my desk.

I so believe in this organization as well as the work that CCI does. Now that I have a Working Dog, I know what it takes and how much love and devotion had to be put into each dog before they are given to people like me.

Thank you for bringing Canine Assistance to this thread. I've learned so much about them.

I sit up at night and plan what I can do to:

1. Make People Cry

2. Stir up Contraversy

3. Just have fun sharing.

Answer: All of the Above...except maybe the controversy...

I knew it, I just knew it!!!!!!! And, we wouldn't have it any other way!!!!!!

I can't tell you enough how much I love you!!!!!

Does Sunshine just live to make us cry? Just another wonderful story Sunshine. Of course I was crying right along with that lady in the video. Thanks so much for sharing all these videos and stories with us. Each one is more heartwarming than the next. Just proves how truely wonderful these dogs are, and how much they change peoples lives.

Cindy

Yep!!!!! I have to go to the ladies room to spruce-up what Sunshine has messed-up!!!!!! [My makeup!] Oh! Not that I need any! ;)

I love all of you as well.... Ho Ho Ho and Happy Holidays!!

PS: Just to let you know it is not all raindrops, kitten whiskers and puppy breath... Cooler took down 4 stockings and a row of snow at the hospital when we went to visit yesterday... by the end of the day, she had returned to more appropriate service dog behavior and was snuggling with children, doctors, nurses, and anyone else that just needed a little "cheer"....

I love all of you as well.... Ho Ho Ho and Happy Holidays!!

PS: Just to let you know it is not all raindrops, kitten whiskers and puppy breath... Cooler took down 4 stockings and a row of snow at the hospital when we went to visit yesterday... by the end of the day, she had returned to more appropriate service dog behavior and was snuggling with children, doctors, nurses, and anyone else that just needed a little "cheer"....

He's one of Santa's Elves and he's just trying to help in that clumsy, puppy, adorable way!!!!!! :o

Now, ask me if I could do what YOU do......NEVER!!!!!

I sit up at night and plan what I can do to:

1. Make People Cry

2. Stir up Contraversy

3. Just have fun sharing.

Answer: All of the Above...except maybe the controversy...

Yep I was right. I knew it!!!!

OMG I can just picture Cooler causing trouble!! Gotta admit though, it was probably fun watching him.

Roz we all know who the cutest elf is ;)

So true....Not a person looked upset, mostly everyone but me was laughing. I was just trying to keep the girl in the middle of the hall so she could not take down anymore decor.... Then word around the OR was spread. Cooler is in the HOUSE...suddenly I have doctors coming out of the wood works to see the girl. Of course she is grabbing at stethescopes, tugging away at surgical masks, and managed to get one scrub hat off.....trying not to laugh, somewhat embarrased, but whatever... since this is a children's hospital I get a bit of slack on puppy misbehaviour.....