Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

Mornin' all:

Yeah, this snow thing is new to me! I was getting out of the jeep and the left slide, fortunately I was still more or less sitting on the seat. Fell back and hit my arm on the door latch.........

I just saw a video on Yahoo (I think) about a school in Virginia is not allowing a young boy bring his service dog to school. The school that trained the dog is not on the list at the boys school to allow it! :eek: I see ADA violations written all over it............

Hope everyone is stable and be careful.

Cindy: Thinking of you running around trying to take care of three boys, John, your son and Wexy. Bless you. You deserve your cruise, sitting on the Aft with an adult beverage in hand and the ocean air blowing in your hair!

"LIST".....What "LIST?" All the boys parents have to prove is that the dog mitigates a physical inability for the child, such as: Picking up something off the floor, opening doors, alerting, assist in some daily task or be a "Skilled Companion, which enhances the child's independence. They may ask what the dog does and they may even ask to watch the dog "perform" its duties. There is NO LIST!!!!

When we were training, CCI told us that they didn't allow their service dogs in public school. They reasoned that kids would constantly be distracting the dog. Being that we are a skilled companion team, it didn't matter to us. And yes, I can see their point. It still happens to my daughter in college.

BTW...after all the Borders gift wrapping between Thanksgiving and Christmas we were able to raise just over $1600 for CCI.

OMG! I haven't heard about this little boy and his dog but I can believe it was here in the great state of VA. When we were first moving to the area from MD we were denied entrance to many many places such as hotel rooms, restaurants, and stores. It was unbelievable I was even told that Valentine was too small to be a service dog. We were new to the whole SD thing and didn't know all the rights. We did ask for help from a police officer who told us that they don't get involved in SD areas. No wonder no one wants things to change. They wouldn't dare try that BS now on us!! I'm sure that it won't be long before they find out that the school has to have to allow that dog. I'd also demand an apology too if I were them. Service dogs don't even HAVE to go to any school.:mad:

When we were training, CCI told us that they didn't allow their service dogs in public school. They reasoned that kids would constantly be distracting the dog. Being that we are a skilled companion team, it didn't matter to us. And yes, I can see their point. It still happens to my daughter in college.

BTW...after all the Borders gift wrapping between Thanksgiving and Christmas we were able to raise just over $1600 for CCI.

That's interesting because one of the graduates in my class was a public school teacher and she had every intention of taking her dog to school with her. Weird. This was in 2002, maybe they've changed their thoughts on this......And, when she came back to a workshop she told everyone how she uses her dog as a "reward" for good behavior. The student who is working the best gets to have her dog sit next to them. I think it's a great idea.

You are amazing in the fundraising that you do for CCI. Thank you so much!

When we were out to dinner, on New Years Eve, a couple approached us and said that they were donors to CCI and other dog Orgs. I love to hear this! And, I'm always so pleased that it's people who have no vested interest other than making sure that people like me and others have a Service Dog! Love it!!!!!!!! :)

Edited by wizard-of-roz

OMG! I haven't heard about this little boy and his dog but I can believe it was here in the great state of VA. When we were first moving to the area from MD we were denied entrance to many many places such as hotel rooms' date=' restaurants, and stores. It was unbelievable [i']I was even told that Valentine was too small to be a service dog. We were new to the whole SD thing and didn't know all the rights. We did ask for help from a police officer who told us that they don't get involved in SD areas. No wonder no one wants things to change. They wouldn't dare try that BS now on us!! I'm sure that it won't be long before they find out that the school has to have to allow that dog. I'd also demand an apology too if I were them. Service dogs don't even HAVE to go to any school.:mad:[/i]

When we first started cruising with Brenda [and, that was just 8 years ago], it was very, very rare to see an SD onboard a ship. It's getting easier and easier. It's fun to be a pioneer!!!!

Hopefully Service/Working Dogs will be more the "norm" in all areas of our society.

As I've said before, in 100 years that my place of work has been in existence, Brenda is the FIRST Working Dog to ever be here!!!!!

BRAVO, Brenda!!!!!! And, the ADA!!!!!!!

The dog is an alert dog for the childs elipilepsy. He had some kind that cannot be operated, it affects both side of his brain. The dog has a magnet on her collar and the boy has a device inserted in his chest. The dog knows when the attacks are going to occur and she can make sure the magnet is over the device.

The school is concerned for the safety of the other children! I can see the headlines now, "Service dog goes postal at a school?" Doesn't even make sense. Hopefully it will all get worked out.

The dog is an alert dog for the childs elipilepsy. He had some kind that cannot be operated, it affects both side of his brain. The dog has a magnet on her collar and the boy has a device inserted in his chest. The dog knows when the attacks are going to occur and she can make sure the magnet is over the device.

The school is concerned for the safety of the other children! I can see the headlines now, "Service dog goes postal at a school?" Doesn't even make sense. Hopefully it will all get worked out.

Wow! Aren't these dogs amazing! Seems to me the school should be very happy to have this dog near this child!

Hi again everyone

ok Roz - When you say within the guidelines for the rabies do you simply mean make sure it is not expired? Denver had one thats good for 3 years .... does brenny get one every year or every three and if every three was that acceptable on your MR cruise ?

Nancy - No greg is not going DONT YOU KNOW HE IS STAYING WITH YOU :D:D:D:D

Hi again everyone

ok Roz - When you say within the guidelines for the rabies do you simply mean make sure it is not expired? Denver had one thats good for 3 years .... does brenny get one every year or every three and if every three was that acceptable on your MR cruise ?

Nancy - No greg is not going DONT YOU KNOW HE IS STAYING WITH YOU :D:D:D:D

Cari: Brenda get her Rabies every three [3] years. And, as long as his rabies vaccine will not expire before or during the cruise, just bring the Rabies Certificate with you. He's good to go!

Hi All,

Dkd, 1600? thats awesome!!!!!

As far as this kid with the seizure dog goes, from what I saw on the morning show, he cannot really handle the dog on his own. It certainly didn't seem that the kid could give and commands. He could barely speak and the dog dragged him when they were outside. The dog was beautiful, and has 1800 hours of training, so it's well trained. It has some magnet on it's collar and the kid has something implanted in his chest that you swipe the magnet and it helps with the seizure. The school is saying that a teacher can have the magnet and swipe it, so they don't need the dog. It's a tough thing.

Anyways, my son and I just got back. I'm waiting for John to get home before I pack so he can tell me what he wants. I did 3 loads of clothes last night and almost killed my kid. He's a piece of work. :eek: I can't wait to be on that ship with my bahama mama drink!!! 1 more day!!!

Hi All,

Dkd, 1600? thats awesome!!!!!

As far as this kid with the seizure dog goes, from what I saw on the morning show, he cannot really handle the dog on his own. It certainly didn't seem that the kid could give and commands. He could barely speak and the dog dragged him when they were outside. The dog was beautiful, and has 1800 hours of training, so it's well trained. It has some magnet on it's collar and the kid has something implanted in his chest that you swipe the magnet and it helps with the seizure. The school is saying that a teacher can have the magnet and swipe it, so they don't need the dog. It's a tough thing.

Anyways, my son and I just got back. I'm waiting for John to get home before I pack so he can tell me what he wants. I did 3 loads of clothes last night and almost killed my kid. He's a piece of work. :eek: I can't wait to be on that ship with my bahama mama drink!!! 1 more day!!!

You are so funny......I don't want to break-up your world but that "piece of work" son is no different than the rest of them [so don't feel so special!] I swear, kids [in general] are pieces of work! Who's idea was it to have them? Oh! Yeah! My mother's idea. And, where was she when they were driving me crazy [and, sometimes, still do!], she was "busy!" And, now she's gone.......I miss her and all her rantings and ravings! I wish she were here to drive me crazy again!!!!! Will our kids be saying this about us?

It's not too long now........;)......You're almost there!!!!!

Hi Roz

Thankyou ! Hamletts expires in June and Denver Just had his in June so he is good till June of 2013 ...Ok another ? LOL The health Cert how far in advance did you get brennys ? The paperwork I have says 5 days well its a 7 day cruise ???? I know some people say its good for a month some say a week before everyone please chime in on this what have you done where have you sailed DID YOU TAKE YOUR DOG OFF THE SHIP etc. I am getting the pre cruise jitters as I want to make sure I have all that I need ! UG !

Hi Roz

Thankyou ! Hamletts expires in June and Denver Just had his in June so he is good till June of 2013 ...Ok another ? LOL The health Cert how far in advance did you get brennys ? The paperwork I have says 5 days well its a 7 day cruise ???? I know some people say its good for a month some say a week before everyone please chime in on this what have you done where have you sailed DID YOU TAKE YOUR DOG OFF THE SHIP etc. I am getting the pre cruise jitters as I want to make sure I have all that I need ! UG !

Brenda had her complete physical in June, 2010 along with updating her Rabies. Because she was 10 years old at the time, there were some vaccines that the Vet did not give her. She had her Rabies with an expiration of June, 2013.

Princess likes the paperwork and Vet visit to be done within a certain time before cruising [i think it's within 2 weeks.] Call the "Special Needs Dept." of the line you're taking to get their timing on the forms and Vet visit. Because Brenda has cruised so much on Princess they gave me a wide variable on the timing.

REMEMBER: Mexico has no vaccination/heart guard/flea and tick abatement or leash policy for their pet dogs and they do have a lot of strays. Brenda has been off the ship in Acapulco, Mazatlan and Puerto Vallarta..........I keep her close to me, I watch, intently, for strays and I NEVER take her on their beaches because of sand fleas, strays, trash, etc, etc.

I prefer to keep her on the ship. I've seen all I need to see in Mexico so it's okay for me to make the cruise all about the ship.

You may leave Denver in your cabin. Make sure you let your Steward know that he's there. And, also alert the Purser's Desk. Or, take him with you but be attentive to his safety.

Also, when you call about the paperwork remind them about where you would like the potty box and what litter you would like.

Didn't you have a problem with a locked door once? Remind them that the door must ALWAYS be accessible to you and your dog.

Have a wonderful time........Don't stress about it....

Edited by wizard-of-roz

Hi Roz

THANK YOU !!!! I called special services but she really didnt know - She Fwd me stuff from Mexico but it was for PETS and not SDs I guess I will try to get to the bottom of it tomorrow :confused:

As far as taking Denver off the ship NO WAY NO HOW - Amber wanted me to ask that ? - Shes more bold than I am and will probb take Hamlet off the ship but you couldnt PAY me to do it !

As far as the relief area well I got the locked door thing solved - what we are working on this cruise is for Disney to put a litter box close to Ambers room (shes deck 2 Im deck 7 RIGHT where the ONLY box is ) She will have to hike up the ship ( PREGNANT MIND YOU ) and go up 5 floors and to the aft to use it - SO NOT ACCEPTABLE we are going to fight this as hard as we need to though . I mean seriously they need to take a lesson ( as do ALL lines ) from Princess ... They put the box in a descrete hallway or under a stair well in an off limits area SO CLOSE to your stateroom you can go there in slippers !!!! HOW NICE !!! And If I didnt love Disney so much Princess would be the ONLY line I would sail EVER !

Anyways thanks for the info hope everyone is well - didnt mean to hog Roz from you all LOL

Hi Roz

THANK YOU !!!! I called special services but she really didnt know - She Fwd me stuff from Mexico but it was for PETS and not SDs I guess I will try to get to the bottom of it tomorrow :confused:

As far as taking Denver off the ship NO WAY NO HOW - Amber wanted me to ask that ? - Shes more bold than I am and will probb take Hamlet off the ship but you couldnt PAY me to do it !

As far as the relief area well I got the locked door thing solved - what we are working on this cruise is for Disney to put a litter box close to Ambers room (shes deck 2 Im deck 7 RIGHT where the ONLY box is ) She will have to hike up the ship ( PREGNANT MIND YOU ) and go up 5 floors and to the aft to use it - SO NOT ACCEPTABLE we are going to fight this as hard as we need to though . I mean seriously they need to take a lesson ( as do ALL lines ) from Princess ... They put the box in a descrete hallway or under a stair well in an off limits area SO CLOSE to your stateroom you can go there in slippers !!!! HOW NICE !!! And If I didnt love Disney so much Princess would be the ONLY line I would sail EVER !

Anyways thanks for the info hope everyone is well - didnt mean to hog Roz from you all LOL

Cari, I must tell you.....A lot of what Princess has done is because I wouldn't take "NO" for an answer and they were very nice to respond in kind. I went to the Hotel Manager, directly and insisted that the box be in a convenient place for ME and BRENDA.

Remember: Strong and Assertive! Works for dogs and Hotel Managers!

Also, you might suggest a "crew closet" close to your cabin. They can place the box in the area, still allowing the crew to put their "stuff" inside. If Princess, NCL, Carnival and Holland America can do it so can Disney!

I ALWAYS picked up Brenda's waste and placed it into a plastic bag and tied it shut. I'm sure that helped in keeping the smell to a limit. Also, I bring along Fabreze bathroom spray [just to show how diligent I am in maintaining the odor around the box!]

Cindy: I am sure you are gone, but relax, and have a blast! You deserve it.

Mornin' all:

:)

[ATTACH]179595[/ATTACH]Jezzy Lou with Christmas baby

[ATTACH]179596[/ATTACH]Jezzy Lou and Travis

[ATTACH]179597[/ATTACH]And for you, Roz, SNOW

Cari: No worries, we share Roz all the time! She knows where she belongs!

I love the pictures. And, you did get some good snow, didn't you?

Hi All,

It's been almost a month since our cruise and I'm ready to go again! We are thinking of taking one to Alaska this summer. Anyone have any suggestions? How long, where to go, etc. We really like Carnival but if there is something better, I'd love to hear about it. We will NEVER sail with Holland America again though. They tried to kill me and then say it was my fault. NOT a happy trip!! But. . . sooooooo excited about another cruise! Can't wait to hear what people have done and loved in the past!

Hope you all had a Blessed Holiday Season!

Dina

Roz: And "that" snowis still here! Suppose to get more Sunday! Yikes. Just now able to get around safely. Well unless the other boneheads don't go fast and start slipping and sliding on the ice that is out there! :eek:

Our news, here in L.A., kept showing cars/trucks slipping and sliding into the same parked car. It was very funny to watch but not so funny for the guy who owned that poor parked car. :o