Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

Hi All' date='

It's been almost a month since our cruise and I'm ready to go again! We are thinking of taking one to Alaska this summer. Anyone have any suggestions? How long, where to go, etc. We really like Carnival but if there is something better, I'd love to hear about it. We will NEVER sail with Holland America again though. They tried to kill me and then say it was my fault. NOT a happy trip!! But. . . sooooooo excited about another cruise! Can't wait to hear what people have done and loved in the past!

Hope you all had a Blessed Holiday Season!

Dina[/quote']

Dina, we took the Golden Princess, in September 2009. I loved, loved, loved the Golden. We left out of Seattle and did the inside passage. September is pretty much the end of their season so, we got a great deal and the Golden had just come out of drydock and had the International Cafe and Vines........We had one of the best cruises we've ever had.

And, Princess has it so right when it comes to Service Dogs and what to do for them and you.

I highly recommend this cruise or anyone similar.

I'm so glad that you are inspired to keep cruising with you SD. I feel the very same way.

How lucky are we!

We are scheduled on the Carnival Paradise on March 18. Last March when we were on the Carnival Splendor, we brought some sod on board for our dog, Duncan. It worked great in the supplied litter box. We just got a call from Carnival telling us sod is no longer permitted, according to the USDA. Just a warning to others who have brought sod on board.

We are scheduled on the Carnival Paradise on March 18. Last March when we were on the Carnival Splendor, we brought some sod on board for our dog, Duncan. It worked great in the supplied litter box. We just got a call from Carnival telling us sod is no longer permitted, according to the USDA. Just a warning to others who have brought sod on board.

I wonder if sod is just no longer permitted to be brought on board by passengers and cruise lines can still supply it. That's what Disney uses in the kiddie pool they use for a potty.

I actually understand what their thought process is. They don't know where the sod came from and whether or not you're bringing "bugs" onboard with it.

I used to bring my artificial turf or mulch. Since Princess uses wood shavings, I don't bring anything with me.

When we were onboard the Splendor in January of 2010, they used a mulch which Brenda liked.

They used to use paper pellets, which were a killer on her webbed paws.......they now have it very right, as well.

My suggestion: Call Carnival Access Services Dept. [1.800.438.6744 Ext. 700025] and make sure that they will have the mulch for your cruise, about one week prior to your cruise.

So of topic, but I just registered for my third Iron Girl triathalon!! Yea, but that means time to get back on the bike!!! Happily my furry friends like helping me train for the run part of the event. (Especially since I walk it)...

Good luck, you are a very gutsy woman....I'm very proud of you!

When is it?

Good luck, you are a very gutsy woman....I'm very proud of you!

When is it?

Mid May this year. Which means the lake swim will be chilly, but the bike and run will be much nicer. I am not a small woman and my idea of exerise and fun is bathing a service dog and maybe an outing. But... the past two years I have completed this event and I am so happy this year as two more friends, who are not very athletic are getting up off the couch and participating in this event...

Mid May this year. Which means the lake swim will be chilly, but the bike and run will be much nicer. I am not a small woman and my idea of exerise and fun is bathing a service dog and maybe an outing. But... the past two years I have completed this event and I am so happy this year as two more friends, who are not very athletic are getting up off the couch and participating in this event...

Wow! Good for all of you!!!!! Remind me before you do it....so, I can root you on!!!!

Mornin' all:

Yeah, this snow thing is new to me! I was getting out of the jeep and the left slide, fortunately I was still more or less sitting on the seat. Fell back and hit my arm on the door latch.........

Yikes! Hope you're okay. Yeah, snow and ice can be dangerous! Not fun.

Yikes, I think you need to consider yourself very lucky that you didn't break something.

When I graduated from CCI the dogs were not trained on escalators, now they are. I'm so glad, since it can be the fasted way to the next level in many venues.

Brenda has the hairiest paw pads. I'm sure that this has to be kept very, very trimmed so that the hair doesn't get caught in the escalator........OUCH!!!!!!!:eek:

Yeah, or otherwise get hurt more. It definitely was not fun - and also pretty darn embarassing! :o

Yeah, sometimes escalators can be the only way someplace (like one time in an airport when the only set of elevators to the gate area broke just as I got to them, or old subways that weren't made accessible) or elevators can be super hard to find (I have no idea where they are in the Atlanta airport and I've been there plenty of times) or the rest of your party doesn't want to wait for the elevator or some other reason. Moving sidewalks can also be the only way one can get through an airport energy-wise (it can for me). And some Disney rides use moving sidewalks to get to, from, or onto a ride.

My dog has hairy paw pads, too, and they need to be trimmed 'cause her breed has hair that grows and needs haircuts. They don't catch on the escalators or moving sidewalks because the dog is taught (at least how mine is) to hop on and hop off, so they don't get near the areas where the escalator steps come out or go back in. I leave room between the person in front of me and me so that before we get to the end, we can start walking to get our pace so the dog can easily hop off and walk away. I warn my dog when we're getting close to the end with the command "get ready" and then when it is time for her to hop off, I command her to do so.

The scab on my knee from the incident finally came off today, so that's good! And my hand (from my wrist wrap reaction) is almost completely healed - you wouldn't be able to tell something happened if you didn't already know it (it is just shiny new skin and slightly pink). So, all is good. Although, I bought a new pair of earrings at the beginning of the week and on the third day of wearing them, one fell out and was lost! :( Thankfully, they were cheap ($35) and the store had another pair in stock, so I was able to get another pair 'cause I really, really like them. But, I'm not wearing them again until I can get a pair of those clear rubber stoppers that slide onto the wires!

Hi again everyone

ok Roz - When you say within the guidelines for the rabies do you simply mean make sure it is not expired? Denver had one thats good for 3 years .... does brenny get one every year or every three and if every three was that acceptable on your MR cruise ?

Some countries only accept rabies given within the past twelve months, even if it is the three-year vaccine. So, you need to check on the requirements for the country/countries you're going to. Most of the Southern Caribbean countries are one-year countries, for instance.

(But, yes, the three-year vaccine is otherwise the one to normally give any dog. Overvaccination is a real problem.)

Hi Roz

Thankyou ! Hamletts expires in June and Denver Just had his in June so he is good till June of 2013 ...Ok another ? LOL The health Cert how far in advance did you get brennys ? The paperwork I have says 5 days well its a 7 day cruise ???? I know some people say its good for a month some say a week before everyone please chime in on this what have you done where have you sailed DID YOU TAKE YOUR DOG OFF THE SHIP etc. I am getting the pre cruise jitters as I want to make sure I have all that I need ! UG !

Get the health certificate close to when you are travelling. How close depends on the country/countries. If you're going to Mexico, I believe it is within 78 hours of travel, so you have three days before you fly out to get the health certificate.

Yes, the certificates are only valid for 30 days; this is clearly written on them. However, many countries require the certificates to be newer than 30 days, so you usually won't use the full 30 days anyway.

Some countries require you to send for an import permit AFTER you get the health certificate, in which case you need to get the health certificate a week or two before you travel and then fax away for the import permit(s). This is what I need to do on my next trip (which is my cruise).

Oh, and yes, I get off the ship (with my dog; can't get off without her) at the countries that allow us to get off (unlike Jamaica and, on my upcoming cruise, likely Barbados). The only time I didn't get off was last year's cruise in the Bahamas 'cause I had just been there for two weeks a few weeks before the cruise.

Edited by Quampapetet

Princess likes the paperwork and Vet visit to be done within a certain time before cruising [i think it's within 2 weeks.]

It isn't the cruiseline, it is the health certificate itself and each country that makes the rules on when the certificate needs to be done (as well as what needs to be on it and any other paperwork, such as import permits or rabies titer results, that need to be obtained).

REMEMBER: Mexico has no vaccination/heart guard/flea and tick abatement or leash policy for their pet dogs and they do have a lot of strays. Brenda has been off the ship in Acapulco, Mazatlan and Puerto Vallarta..........I keep her close to me, I watch, intently, for strays and I NEVER take her on their beaches because of sand fleas, strays, trash, etc, etc.

Just as with any place you go, including anywhere in the U.S., there could be loose, sick dogs. Just be careful and enjoy yourself! I don't know about the public beaches, but if you go to a paid beach (like Playa Mia in Cozumel), the beach is perfectly safe with no fleas, strays, or trash. That's what I did there and it was fun ... until I got a bad sunburn, anyway, so DEFINITELY REMEMBER THE SUNBLOCK AND REAPPLY IT OFTEN!!!!! :)

Didn't you have a problem with a locked door once? Remind them that the door must ALWAYS be accessible to you and your dog.

Wow, yeah, if that happens (again), definitely raise a stink right then and there until the problem is fixed!

Hi Roz

THANK YOU !!!! I called special services but she really didnt know - She Fwd me stuff from Mexico but it was for PETS and not SDs I guess I will try to get to the bottom of it tomorrow :confused:

There aren't different rules for service dogs from the pet rules. Some countries will give you an exemption (such as from having to do rabies titers) if you ask for it (or some will list that the import permit fee is waived for service dogs in info. on their site) if you're only going to be landed for a few hours from a cruise ship, but otherwise you need to follow the rules for pet dogs.

As far as taking Denver off the ship NO WAY NO HOW - Amber wanted me to ask that ? - Shes more bold than I am and will probb take Hamlet off the ship but you couldnt PAY me to do it !

Go for it. There's nothing wrong with taking your dog off the ship. Otherwise, why bring him? I know you're lucky that with your disability you have a back-up option of a white cane, but I'm sure you realize it is easier to get around with your guide dog. Mine is my mobility dog (amoung other things) and I don't have the option of going without her. She wants to go, too, anyway. ;)

As far as the relief area well I got the locked door thing solved - what we are working on this cruise is for Disney to put a litter box close to Ambers room (shes deck 2 Im deck 7 RIGHT where the ONLY box is ) She will have to hike up the ship ( PREGNANT MIND YOU ) and go up 5 floors and to the aft to use it - SO NOT ACCEPTABLE we are going to fight this as hard as we need to though . I mean seriously they need to take a lesson ( as do ALL lines ) from Princess ... They put the box in a descrete hallway or under a stair well in an off limits area SO CLOSE to your stateroom you can go there in slippers !!!! HOW NICE !!! And If I didnt love Disney so much Princess would be the ONLY line I would sail EVER !

Anyways thanks for the info hope everyone is well - didnt mean to hog Roz from you all LOL

Yikes!! I hope they solve your issue really soon! If you don't have a definite confirmation by the time you leave for the cruise, see about your friend taking her own potty materials with her and insisting they allow her to set it up somewhere near her room.

It's been almost a month since our cruise and I'm ready to go again! We are thinking of taking one to Alaska this summer. Anyone have any suggestions? How long' date=' where to go, etc. We really like Carnival but if there is something better, I'd love to hear about it. We will NEVER sail with Holland America again though. They tried to kill me and then say it was my fault. NOT a happy trip!! But. . . sooooooo excited about another cruise! [/quote']

My friend, who is a travel agent, says Princess is the best for Alaskan cruises, so check those out.

How did the cruiseline almost kill you?! :eek:

Just get some faux grass. Dogs take to it easily. That's what I use. It isn't cheap, but if you bring some disinfectant spray, you can reuse the faux grass for other trips so the price will be worth it.

So of topic, but I just registered for my third Iron Girl triathalon!! Yea, but that means time to get back on the bike!!! Happily my furry friends like helping me train for the run part of the event. (Especially since I walk it)...

Wow! Impressive that you can do those!

Wow! Impressive that you can do those!

Thanks Quam. Santa brought me a shiny new road bike for Christmas which should help with my biking times. Luckily the swim part if easy for me and since since I walk the "run" part, training for that is easy. Biking is my weak area so I need to keep riding.

On another note: Young Cooler is home for the weekend. We have to re-establish house rules each time she comes home. Feet off the counter, no jumping, appropriate places to potty, magazines are not chew toys.... Mostly the house is puppy proofed so we can focus on the positive things. Her down stay seemed to have stayed up at the farm:confused:. Still, she is a love and a hard worker when she focuses. 7 months old, so a teenager with teenage attitude...

:o

Yeah, sometimes escalators can be the only way someplace (like one time in an airport when the only set of elevators to the gate area broke just as I got to them, or old subways that weren't made accessible) or elevators can be super hard to find (I have no idea where they are in the Atlanta airport and I've been there plenty of times) or the rest of your party doesn't want to wait for the elevator or some other reason. Moving sidewalks can also be the only way one can get through an airport energy-wise (it can for me). And some Disney rides use moving sidewalks to get to, from, or onto a ride.

My dog has hairy paw pads, too, and they need to be trimmed 'cause her breed has hair that grows and needs haircuts. They don't catch on the escalators or moving sidewalks because the dog is taught (at least how mine is) to hop on and hop off, so they don't get near the areas where the escalator steps come out or go back in. I leave room between the person in front of me and me so that before we get to the end, we can start walking to get our pace so the dog can easily hop off and walk away. I warn my dog when we're getting close to the end with the command "get ready" and then when it is time for her to hop off, I command her to do so.

Quam: Thank you for the information on escalators. It makes sense to give the dog a "warning" before getting off. I was curious about that.

When I get my "successor" dog it will be very interesting to experience the escalator thing with him/her. It sometimes can be very challenging to find the elevators in malls/stores/airports/cruise docks, etc., etc. I look forward to the ease of traveling. Boarding the elevator at the dock in San Pedro is truly the "waiting game!"

[boy, listen to me getting ready for Brenny's successor! :o] I find that the more I talk about it, the braver I get. What will happen at the time I actually do it.........we'll see!!!!!!!

Mornin' all:

Roz: I want to think of it as Ms. Brenny retiring after a lovely career. Will she collect Social Security? She can keep her own little cruise fund. :D And of course get spoiled by Papa! I can see the two of them, one in each recliner, watching TV!

Ok, I am dreaming of a cruise atmosphere! We still have snow on the ground from last time and it is now snowing again! Take goodness for a good heater. Leann Emily is laying in front of the heater vent, she knows where it is warm!

Everyone stay warm and hope your team wins in football! Hubby watches it, I just listen to it, occasionally!

Mornin' all:

Ms. Sunshine: I had read your forecast on facebook! I turned to my hubby and said, "Ok, this goes with my lack of knowledge of geography (I am getting better at that) and said does it really snow in Atlanta?" Wow, I am out of the loop. Be careful in that nasty weather. We had snow again, it is 5 degrees. But it sure doesn't feel that bad. I only have to take Trav about 2 blocks to the bus stop. No busy streets. Although a gal in a big suburban went flying by. I wondered if she knows that it probably won't stop, just keep sliding? Thankfully she wasn't going my way!

Hope everyone has a wonderful week.

Mornin' all:

Roz: I want to think of it as Ms. Brenny retiring after a lovely career. Will she collect Social Security? She can keep her own little cruise fund. :D And of course get spoiled by Papa! I can see the two of them, one in each recliner, watching TV!

Ok, I am dreaming of a cruise atmosphere! We still have snow on the ground from last time and it is now snowing again! Take goodness for a good heater. Leann Emily is laying in front of the heater vent, she knows where it is warm!

Everyone stay warm and hope your team wins in football! Hubby watches it, I just listen to it, occasionally!

I hope that Brenda has many, many more years with us. I don't care what she's doing as long as she's with us!