Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

CCI tries to be very, very careful about the humans who are given one of their amazing and highly trained hero's. The process can seem like it takes forever. Yes, this is an inperson interview; where I will be asked to work with a dog. I will walk, sit, stand, go through various doorways, walk outside, give commands and talk about myself.

I have already had my phone interview, a doctor's visit [where the report was sent to CCI] and now I'm at the last part of the "screening" process before I will be invited to attend a two-week session called "Team Training."

I would've thought the interview would be sooner, especially since you're getting a second dog from them and all, but maybe they have a backlog of interviews and that's the closest time or something.

I wonder if it will be weird to be working with a different dog in that interview! I'll have to remember to come on this board around that time to see how things went. (I'm not cruising next year, so likely won't come on here too often soon enough.)

Quam, In our apt I get shocked all the time and it hurts like heck!!! You must have tough skin not to feel that. I too, do not believe in a shock collar, but I also hated the prong collar they use at CCI. And Wex does not wear it, because John cannot get it on and off. But we would have not used it when we got home anyway. If the dog is trained properly, there is no reason it would need a shock collar. I am with Roz on this one, they should be outlawed.

Nope, I don't have tough skin at all. I'm ultra-sensitive to pain, touch, etc. Static shocks are shocking, but not actually painful. Paper cuts, now those are painful!! (Why do they hurt more than bigger cuts?!)

There are prongs that have other ways of putting them on (than taking a prong off - I hate doing that). I have one that uses the same type of metal snap/clip as most leashes use - very easy to put on.

Prongs are about the best collars out there. They don't hurt the dog, unlike slip chains (which can damage a dog's trachea) or head halters (which can damage a dog's neck if not used properly), and they give a natural correction just like one dog gives another, so the dog understands it. They might look menacing, but they don't hurt (and, yes, I've tried one on my own neck before) and they're all-natural.

Again, shock collar use has nothing to do with whether or not the dog is trained. It is not used in correcting a dog like other collars are. Once you understand how they work and why, you understand what a good tool they are and why a dog wearing one has nothing to do with how well it is trained and how they aren't in any way harmful.

I guess 12 1/2 years for Miss Bailey was a decent age for these Labs.......It's just not long enough, as far as I'm concerned!!!! :(

Nope, not long enough at all! I wish dogs lived so much longer!! I wish they had the same life-span as the mini horses. (Their life-span is one reason why some have chosen to use them as service animals. Another is allergies. But dogs are so much easier, most especially for ppl who travel internationally.)

I keep reminding Brenny that she's got some "stuff" to do so she must take good care of herself......like this afternoon when she almost ran into that darn maple tree in the back yard.....I nearly lost 10 years off my life!!!!!:eek:

CLEARLY that maple tree ran in front of her!!! :p I'm glad she didn't hit it and wasn't hurt!

NEVER, NEVER, NEVER feed him in a restaurant, bar or anywhere the public is eating. NEVER, NEVER, NEVER allow him to eat off the floor or to get any food from you or others while you're eating.

Don't water the dog indoors either. If the dog needs water and it isn't possible to do it outdoors (weather, in the middle of a mall, in a meeting, etc.), do it in the bathroom. Not only do some dogs make messes while drinking, but the noise of a dog drinking is really disgusting to some ppl who might be near you in a restaurant.

You can help Blitz learn all these good habits by NOT feeding him at your dinner table or while you're eating EVER!!!!!!!

It is fine to feed the dog at home - dogs know the difference between being at home and being a working dog in a restaurant - but never feed the dog in public. If you want to take a "doggy bag" home from the restaurant to add to your dog's food that night (as long as it is a small amount and you are certain the chef didn't use any non-dog-safe ingredients like onions, certain nuts, chocolate, etc.), that's fine.

And, make sure that there is no debris laying about. I have found, not only food, but forks/knives and shoes left under tables. She's also come out with gum stuck to her head! Yuck!!!! :(

Gross about the gum! :( LOL about a shoe! (I'm guessing it was a baby's shoe? 'Cause who wouldn't realize they are walking out without a shoe on?! Haha!)

Yeah, before you send your dog under, look under the table. If there are crumbs or other items underneath, ask the waitress to have the floor cleaned and don't put your dog under until it is completely clean. Not only are crumbs distracting (even though a service dog knows not to eat them, they ARE dogs!), but they could be harmful (i.e. onion rings). Forks and such could hurt a dog. There might have been kids at the table before you, making the floor a disaster zone (sometimes so bad somebody without a dog would've asked for it to be cleaned before sitting!).

Where to put the dog depends on the situation. Sometimes there is an extra chair at the table so you can move the chair out or ask for it to be removed from the table and put your dog in that space. Sometimes there is no extra space but you are next to a wall and can put the dog between the table and wall. Sometimes you're at a big table in the middle of a room with tons of friends or family and your dog has to curl up at/on your feet.

If your dog isn't used to curling up in small spaces already, to get it used to restaurants, airplanes, ferries, and other small-spaced areas, you can train it to curl up in a laundry basket and/or behind your legs as you sit on the toilet (make sure you clean your toilet first ... we know you're a guy!! :p). The dog should have the "under" command for going under tables.

1. What are the requirements for simply bringing your dog onto the ship (as if you're never getting off at any port)?

You need an int'l health certificate and rabies certificate (you do have to get back into the U.S. at the end of the cruise, which is what the rabies certificate is for, and I believe all the cruiselines require the health certificate). The cruiseline, like any business, can also ask you if the dog is a service dog required because of your disability and what tasks your dog is trained to do for you. Most (if not all) of the cruiselines require you tell them about your service dog well in advance (at booking or soon after) so they can prepare for it. They will usually also ask about or tell you about the dog potty arrangements. You will need to let them know if you need a fridge for your dog's food or not (they are required to give you one if you need it).

They might ask you to sign a paper, but a service dog is medical equipment so they are not allowed to require you to sign such (under the new DOT regulations for passenger vessels and disabled passengers). They are s'posed to tell you the regulations for the countries you are going to (under the new regulations), but they aren't good at that yet (although on the ship they gave me a list of the requirements, LOL - way too late for things like rabies titer tests if ppl didn't know they had to do them!).

2. What are the requirements for bringing your dog off the ship into Mexico?

Last I looked, you need the health certificate and rabies certificate. They might not accept the three-year vaccine after the first year.

3. What are the requirements for bringing your dog off the ship into Canada?

I'm not sure, but I think it is also just the health certificate and rabies certificate. There are Web sites that you can find different countries' dog import info. on, such as www.pettravel.com, although you need to double-check to be sure they are correct and also check to see if a service dog on a cruise ship can have some of the requirements waived (rabies titers, import permit fees, quarantine, etc.).

I thought you'd all be interested in this article about ppl faking their pets as service dogs so they can take them places. :mad:

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/service-animals-multiply-like-rabbits-2011-02-24 (Do realize there are two pages to the story with a "Page 2" button to click on at the end of page 1.)

Warning: You'll want to strangle these ppl!!! :mad:

Edited by Quampapetet

I would've thought the interview would be sooner, especially since you're getting a second dog from them and all, but maybe they have a backlog of interviews and that's the closest time or something.

I wonder if it will be weird to be working with a different dog in that interview! I'll have to remember to come on this board around that time to see how things went. (I'm not cruising next year, so likely won't come on here too often soon enough.)

It's been almost 9 years since I graduated with Miss "B" and, a lot can happen to a person in that time. CCI wants to be sure that I can still handle a Service/Working Dog. That I can still be "sharp" in my commands and corrections and most importantly that I can take care of "their" highly trained, amazing hero!

I don't like the wait, but I do "get it!" I'm glad that they're so careful, I'm just so anxious at times about the whole process.....I know that at the the end, I will be given my new hero or heroine!

Just think....My new "baby" is either living with a "Puppyraiser" right now, or it's in training and just waiting for me!!! Gives me chills!!!

I, too, have thought about what it will feel like to walk/work/live and just be with a different dog. Will it travel as well as my Brenny does? Will it "get" me???? Like Brenny does???? I always tear-up at the thought [as I'm doing right now] and, I even feel somewhat guilty about abandoning Brenny.

I know, I know.....it's all in my head.......but, folks it's Roz, what did you expect? :rolleyes:

Edited by wizard-of-roz

This is an SOS to Roz or Quam (or anyone else who can help). As you might remember I'm working on a compilation of access rights/issues for my boss (an animal law attorney). After thinking about it, I'd love to include a section on traveling with a service animal. I'm researching frantically and have the air travel and hotel section done but I'm unsure about the cruise ship regulations and I'd like to include the requirements for a service animal entering Canada and Mexico.

So, not that I'm asking you to do my project for me (LOL) but if you know off the top of your head:

1. What are the requirements for simply bringing your dog onto the ship (as if you're never getting off at any port)?

2. What are the requirements for bringing your dog off the ship into Mexico?

3. What are the requirements for bringing your dog off the ship into Canada?

My presentation is due at noon on Thursday so if you don't have time to answer before than, no worries--I'll just go with whatever I have.

But if you can get me the information, I'll put it together and see if the moderator will turn it into a "sticky" so folks don't have to comb through this thread (or ask you guys!) every time this question comes up.

Thanks for all your help,

Kathi

Getting on the ship requires Rabies Cert./Intl. Health Cert./Vet Check and a form that most cruiselines ask to be Faxed back to them stating that YOU will take ALL responsibility for your Working Dog. They will NOT supply anything other than the pottybox.

Canada and Mexico are pretty much the same as far as port access and paperwork needed.

Mexico's shopping areas are more difficult to maneuver than Canada's because Canada, just like the U.S. has cut-outs in their sidewalks and easy access to store entrances. Canada has some provences that will give the Working Dog handler a horrible time accessing their venue. Some restaurants/museums/parks, etc.

Mexico usually knows that you've come from a cruiseship and they desparately want your business but they do have a "stray dog" issue and you have to be very careful when entering their beaches and even walking down their streets.

The Working Dog handler has to be aware of their environment when going with their dog onto a strange port and, always think of the dogs safety in every circumstance.

CLEARLY that maple tree ran in front of her!!! :p I'm glad she didn't hit it and wasn't hurt!

Quam: It's so funny about that "skinny", "leafless", maple tree. Brenda has this huge area, in back of my office, with a plush green lawn, huge pine tree and this "lifeless" looking maple. She will only "pooh" next to that tree [it's probably her waste that's keeping it even alive]! :p She can go potty anywhere on this lawn but insists on going right next to this tree.

I suppose if she did run into it, it would probably split in two!!!!! :rolleyes:

Great story.....I think seeing Blitz in the store really caught the "bad guys" off guard and they thought he would be a threat to them.....how cool is that!!!!

Your demeanor will make all the difference in the world as to how you present Blitz to the public. Make sure he is always acting appropriately and get him used to hearing you speak and order your commands in a soft but firm voice. This is preparing him for his public exposure. You, using a loud or big voice will only scare the folks around you. And, it's not necessary for a well trained dog!

I am always talking to Blitz and he is always looking up at me or focusing on me for commands. He doesn't do anything without my approval and is very careful around people. I have had only one bad time with Blitz and it wasn't even his fault; we were in a different Roushes Supermarket and a older woman was in front of us in the check out line and she started in on the "why the hell do they let dogs in here". I over heard her and sparked up a conversation since the huge orange vest wasn't visible enough it only covered his entire back; lol. Then this woman started in on me even though my mobility is plainly visible that I am disabled. Then she started in on Blitz and how she is offended that dog hairs could get on her; etc.... Basically this woman was having a crap day and took it out on us; although the cashier did advise the woman about Blitz and I coming to the store often and his status as a "Service Dog". The woman then said she worked in social services and that some people just should not be allowed to have animals etc.... Basically I chalked it up to her having a bad day and she also told me of a time as a child she was attacked by a shepherd. Well I was also attacked as a child and still have the scars but that was in the 70's and this is not the 70's. Some people just like to make others lives as bad as they feel; I really felt bad for her since she was just a nasty old woman...

All the other times great times with Blitz, he is a huge ambassador for his breed for sure.

Thanks again for for sharing your vast knowledge.

I am always talking to Blitz and he is always looking up at me or focusing on me for commands. He doesn't do anything without my approval and is very careful around people. I have had only one bad time with Blitz and it wasn't even his fault; we were in a different Roushes Supermarket and a older woman was in front of us in the check out line and she started in on the "why the hell do they let dogs in here". I over heard her and sparked up a conversation since the huge orange vest wasn't visible enough it only covered his entire back; lol. Then this woman started in on me even though my mobility is plainly visible that I am disabled. Then she started in on Blitz and how she is offended that dog hairs could get on her; etc.... Basically this woman was having a crap day and took it out on us; although the cashier did advise the woman about Blitz and I coming to the store often and his status as a "Service Dog". The woman then said she worked in social services and that some people just should not be allowed to have animals etc.... Basically I chalked it up to her having a bad day and she also told me of a time as a child she was attacked by a shepherd. Well I was also attacked as a child and still have the scars but that was in the 70's and this is not the 70's. Some people just like to make others lives as bad as they feel; I really felt bad for her since she was just a nasty old woman...

All the other times great times with Blitz, he is a huge ambassador for his breed for sure.

Thanks again for for sharing your vast knowledge.

You are so welcome, it's truly my pleasure to help everyone to cruise with their Service/Working Dog.

All I can say is "wait", wait until you're on a cruise ship. It's a more confined area [even though it will seem like it's miles long], you'll be running into the same people alot; inside the theatre, restaurants, shopping areas, elevators. Some will adore Blitz and admire both of you for working together........and, then there's the few who will hate....and, I do mean HATE...you being on their cruise.

You will recognize them as soon as you see their body language, facial expressions and even their unkind words. You will learn to by-pass them......I have gotten on an elevator seen someone who made a bad remark and gotten off immediately!

DON'T CONFRONT THESE FOLKS.......Just walk on by! Keep your head held high, use your strong assertive self to ignore these morons! The majority of the other passengers will love having Blitz onboard! Be prepared to make lots of new friends. :)

You know your rights, you know all that you've been through to have your amazing hero by your side and most importantly your self respect and dignity will be intact!!!!!!

All that being said, I had a woman, in an elevator onboard the Celebrity Summit who hit Brenda with her cane. It took all my self discipline to not deck that witch. I used my words and told her that there is a huge fine assessed to anyone who harms a Service Dog and if she didn't stay away from Brenda the rest of the cruise I would call Security and would file a lawsuit against her.

I passed her a few times in the hallways but she stayed away from us and her husband even re-directed her when she was walking towards us.

Be ready, be prepared, don't be caught off guard!

You are so welcome, it's truly my pleasure to help everyone to cruise with their Service/Working Dog.

You know your rights, you know all that you've been through to have your amazing hero by your side and most importantly your self respect and dignity will be intact!!!!!!

All that being said, I had a woman, in an elevator onboard the Celebrity Summit who hit Brenda with her cane. It took all my self discipline to not deck that witch. I used my words and told her that there is a huge fine assessed to anyone who harms a Service Dog and if she didn't stay away from Brenda the rest of the cruise I would call Security and would file a lawsuit against her.

I passed her a few times in the hallways but she stayed away from us and her husband even re-directed her when she was walking towards us.

Be ready, be prepared, don't be caught off guard!

Your a better person than I am, if someone even thought of doing that with Blitz I would smack them right back with my cane.... One thing to his advantage is he doesn't even look like a normal GSD (German Shepherd Dog) since he is sable in color. This color is the main color that most K9's are especially with foreign military K9's and security police. So Blitz has the fear factor working for him although he is a big ole huge creme puff.....

Today is a day off for most in my area with Mardi Gras Parades and since I don't really care for parades I stayed home and had a special day. About 3:30 Blitz started barking and then the back door started making noises; my daughter and her boy friend stopped by. They stayed about 2 hours and played with Blitz and the Mel (the GSD puppy) and I realised exactly how much that little puppy has actually grown. Last time my aughter was home we picked up Mel from the breeder and when my daughter picked up Mel she became a really big puppy right before my eyes. Wow after seeing the pup every day she doesn't appear to get bigger but in 2 months she sure grew allot.

Edited by guitarest

I thought you'd all be interested in this article about ppl faking their pets as service dogs so they can take them places. :mad:

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/service-animals-multiply-like-rabbits-2011-02-24 (Do realize there are two pages to the story with a "Page 2" button to click on at the end of page 1.)

Service iguana!!!

There was an item on the Seattle news tonight about the WA legislature changing the definition of service animal to correspond to the new federal law and they interviewed a guy with a "service snake" who was testifying against the bill. He claims the snake alerts him to epileptic seizures.

I had a woman, in an elevator onboard the Celebrity Summit who hit Brenda with her cane. It took all my self discipline to not deck that witch. I used my words and told her that there is a huge fine assessed to anyone who harms a Service Dog

I don't know what rules would apply on a cruise ship or in California, but in Washington State, maliciously injuring a service animal is a Class C felony--five years in prison and a $10,000 fine. In addition, if she was found civilly liable, she would be responsible for any vet bills, your lost wages if you couldn't work due to Miss B. being injured, and if Miss B. couldn't return to service, the cost to train a replacement dog. Plus attorney's fees and costs.

I don't know what rules would apply on a cruise ship or in California, but in Washington State, maliciously injuring a service animal is a Class C felony--five years in prison and a $10,000 fine. In addition, if she was found civilly liable, she would be responsible for any vet bills, your lost wages if you couldn't work due to Miss B. being injured, and if Miss B. couldn't return to service, the cost to train a replacement dog. Plus attorney's fees and costs.

Exactly! I told her it would be a shame to watch a woman of her age waste away in prison!!!!! I was so angry. She only managed to hit Brenda's tail with her cane [it really scared me] had the cane hit Brenda directly on her back I don't know what damage she could have done.

I'm so glad there are laws in place to protect our dogs.

Edited by wizard-of-roz

Hello all,

I'm new, so I hope this is the right place to post this. I am still a little lost, and I just registered, so if my question is in the wrong place, please forgive me. I just joined this site, and I was wondering if anyone knows if I can take my two little service dogs on a cruise. I cannot take one without the other, so I would be unable to go, if the other one cannot go. Thanks for all your help.

I know things like this go on (our own family member got a fake ID for his dog) but that article just blows me away. What has this world come to? Do people have no shame? It's just sickening!!

Well this has been a heck of a week. My car blew up! It's dead. I am already so stressed out and we only went to one place looking at cars. Car buying is the WORST thing to do!!! :mad: Yesterday was Johns day off, so he picked me up at my moms. Now I am here with no car. Ugh I hate the feeling of being stuck somewhere with no escape!! :eek: Hopefully my luck will change and I will find something good.

Cindy

Well this has been a heck of a week. My car blew up! It's dead. I am already so stressed out and we only went to one place looking at cars. Car buying is the WORST thing to do!!! :mad: Yesterday was Johns day off, so he picked me up at my moms. Now I am here with no car. Ugh I hate the feeling of being stuck somewhere with no escape!! :eek: Hopefully my luck will change and I will find something good.

Cindy

Cindy, Oh! No! I know exactly how you feel. I'm so sorry, I hope that by this writing that things have come to some kind of resolution for you and that you've found your "freedom" again.

Living in L.A. without a car is like getting to the station and there are no trains. It's so frustrating and to find a cab in L.A. is also a next to impossible thing, unless you're dowtown. :(

You feel so "stuck!" Let us know how it all works out.

Hello all,

I'm new, so I hope this is the right place to post this. I am still a little lost, and I just registered, so if my question is in the wrong place, please forgive me. I just joined this site, and I was wondering if anyone knows if I can take my two little service dogs on a cruise. I cannot take one without the other, so I would be unable to go, if the other one cannot go. Thanks for all your help.

So, Brood, tell us more about what these little dogs mitigate for you. And, is one of them the "Service Dog" for the other?

We'd love to help you know more about traveling with your Service Dogs, tell us more about your "litte service dogs". Where were they trained, etc., etc.???? :confused:

So, Brood, tell us more about what these little dogs mitigate for you. And, is one of them the "Service Dog" for the other?

We'd love to help you know more about traveling with your Service Dogs, tell us more about your "litte service dogs". Where were they trained, etc., etc.???? :confused:

I was thinking the same thing, 2 service animals. How does one get authorized to have two? Not well versed in the service animal world although never heard about this. One would think if its additional training then the pups could go to a refresher.

Also I want a Service Iguana, mine passed away a few years ago he was almost 5 foot long. Rescued him from a person who was going to kill him because the 6 inch lizard scratched them. I didn't know anything about Iguanas then and the internet was in its first years so all that was out there was porn and gvt sites..... lol I actually had to read books to figure them out. Very cool pet to have.

is one of them the "Service Dog" for the other?

I may have posted this before--our older dog has epilepsy and our younger dog alerts to his seizures. About 3-4 minutes before Toby has a seizure, Tyler comes to me and starts flipping up my arm with his snout. I'm grateful for the warning (trying to comfort/mitigate a 90+ lb. Labrador Retriever who's seizing isn't easy) but in no way would I consider Tyler a "service dog." Fortunately, Toby's seizures only happen once a year or so!