Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

I know it leaves San Pedro, onboard the Sapphire, on March 24, 2012. Come on.......Go to "who know's where?" with us!

You know I would love to sail with you again, but I am booked on the 14-day RT Hawaii on the Oosterdam leaving March 17th. ;) :D :)

Orson, you are such a handsome dog....And, your shoes, they're absolutely stunning. Your girlfriend Buffy is so lovely....she looks a lot like Brenda [just a bit younger & not quite so English Lab looking!] ;)

I, too, love the picture!!!!! Thanks so much for sharing it!

Edited by wizard-of-roz

Orson, you are such a handsome dog....And, your shoes, they're absolutely stunning. Your girlfriend Buffy is so lovely....she looks a lot like Brenda [just a bit younger & not quite so English Lab looking!] ;)

I, too, love the picture!!!!! Thanks so much for sharing it!

Girlfriend is right Roz. Orson and Buffy see each other alot and love to play together. When we pull into Buffy's driveway, Orson knows where he is.

Regarding Mexico, rabies shots need to be within a year and make sure your vet certifies that the dog is parasite free! He had problems at the airport in Cancun when we went for a wedding last spring.

I'll look around for the packet with the website the agricultural official specifically pointed out to us while we were waiting for the Mexican vet to come a give the dog a heart worm pill that cost of $50. American. Cash only.

Regarding Mexico, rabies shots need to be within a year and make sure your vet certifies that the dog is parasite free! He had problems at the airport in Cancun when we went for a wedding last spring.

I'll look around for the packet with the website the agricultural official specifically pointed out to us while we were waiting for the Mexican vet to come a give the dog a heart worm pill that cost of $50. American. Cash only.

CJ: You were coming into Cancun from an airport.......When you're coming in from a cruise ship.....it's different. We don't pay anyone [in Mexico] anything, and, are NEVER asked to.

Immigration may look over our documentation but that's done at the dock or at the Purser's Desk. If Immigration questions you upon returning to the ship or getting off the ship, before or after an excursion, simply show them your dogs paperwork [always carry extra's on you], your passport and your key card from your ship.

Girlfriend is right Roz. Orson and Buffy see each other alot and love to play together. When we pull into Buffy's driveway, Orson knows where he is.

Please don't tell Brenny.....but, Orson is EXACTLY what I was looking for when I first applied at CCI. I wanted a dog that looked just like him. And, during Team Training there was a dog "Nell" that I absolutely fell in love with.

When it came time for the "match" and I was handed Brenda I was thoroughly distraught and unhappy. The trainers knew it and thanked me for not causing a scene. I wanted an "Orson" type dog and they knew it.

Then they asked us all to sit down in the training room and told us that they were going to let all the dogs loose from their crates. We were not allowed to touch/talk or make eye contact with any of the dogs. We were just going to observe the dogs at play. [The trainers were doing this for my benefit alone!]

Well, Brenda took all the dogs and "round them up", she had some of them [Nell, in particular] laying on their backs and others just laying down as she walked around and checked each one of them........She was the "pack leader"........and, the other dogs knew it!!!!!

Was I proud......you know it! The trainer then asked me if I had changed my mind about the silly, little black dog, that they had handed me. I said, "oh, yes I had!" She's an alpha dog, just like me. And, boy are we a good match - 9 years later!!!!!

I called my cruise insurance company to inquire about my upcoming cruise & my Service Dog issue. The carrier said that Service Dogs were not covered. Another reason to purchase the "cancel for any reason" policy. It costs more but it would have saved me this aggrevation.

I called my TA to see what he suggested. He said to call him on Friday when I have the final word and he will approach Princess, explaining the special circumstances and he would claim that it is a "hardship" - since we are Platinum on Princess and have one future cruise also booked, with them, for next year, he thinks they will just apply this cruise to another one.

He told me there may be a cancellation fee [$100] but he thinks it may work. He told me to pick some cruises of the same price as the Sept. 24th one so I picked: December 10, 2011 or October 6, 2012. [One goes to Pacific Northwest and the other goes to Mexico.] I'll be happy on either one.

Heck, Princess doesn't lose anything and it's good business for them to make someone happy who will continue to book with them.....we'll see.

Did yall see ABC World News Tonight? There was a story on a 3 years old Lab in Calif who was training to be a service dog although a little trouble maker so it did not make it to the service dog calling. What this dog does is surf with disabled people. Its really cool how the dog actually appears to balance the board and those who would have never experienced surfing can surf with this Lab. What a special dog for sure.

Did yall see ABC World News Tonight? There was a story on a 3 years old Lab in Calif who was training to be a service dog although a little trouble maker so it did not make it to the service dog calling. What this dog does is surf with disabled people. Its really cool how the dog actually appears to balance the board and those who would have never experienced surfing can surf with this Lab. What a special dog for sure.

For sure!!!! :)

Aw Jocko, you beat me to it--I just logged on to tell everyone about Ricochet. We're down in SoCal right now to take care of Leo's Mom and all of the surfers in the house were amazed! I loved when her trainer/handler said "I thought she'd be able to help one person and now she's helped thousands."

Kathi

So now we have to get Wex another rabies shot??? I'm not liking these islands requiring rabies every year. When you get a 3 year shot they should accept that. I would appreciate any website info. Thanks

Cindy

So now we have to get Wex another rabies shot??? I'm not liking these islands requiring rabies every year. When you get a 3 year shot they should accept that. I would appreciate any website info. Thanks

Cindy

Cindy, we have NEVER given Brenda another rabies vaccine. Her rabies vaccine's are always good for 3 years and after showing the: U.S. Dept. of Agriculture Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service - Unite States Insterstate and International Certificate of Health Examination for Small Animals form, we were NEVER asked to do anything else.

These forms now have 6 duplicate copies [attached] so that you can give one to anyone who needs it. Not all Vets are authorized to give this form, he/she MUST be a USDA Vet. check with yours.

This form will list all of Wexy's Vaccinations/Treatments and Testing History. It will be signed by your vet and your good to go. DON'T LET ANYONE INTIMIDATE YOU TO GET MORE VACCINE'S.

Aw Jocko, you beat me to it--I just logged on to tell everyone about Ricochet. We're down in SoCal right now to take care of Leo's Mom and all of the surfers in the house were amazed! I loved when her trainer/handler said "I thought she'd be able to help one person and now she's helped thousands."

Kathi

Dogs are such amazing beings!

Dogs are such amazing beings!

I agree, this past weekend I went to Petsmart to get a few supplies for my newer fish tank and Blitz made more friends; including one woman who was deathly afraid of German Shepherds. All it took was one small kiss from Blitz and he won her over; he is a huge champion for his breed in this area. While I was speaking with the first woman another couple walked by and just stopped and listened about Blitz. After I was finished speaking the couple made some idle chat and then the boyfriend or husband asked a question about Blitz's teeth. His teeth are really white and its due to the kongs with all the chewing on them to get his treats; or so I believe. So the man asked how I kepts Blitz's teeth so clean and what made them so white. I sometime should think before I answer, I told him "I let Blitz chew on small childrens leg bones and thats how they stay so clean". I have a poker face when I say that then after a few nervous seconds I tell them I'm joking. The first lady who hates German Sheherds looked at me in horror until I said I was joking. I made sure all knew I was joking before everyone left; Oh the good times......

Cindy, we have NEVER given Brenda another rabies vaccine. Her rabies vaccine's are always good for 3 years and after showing the: U.S. Dept. of Agriculture Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service - Unite States Insterstate and International Certificate of Health Examination for Small Animals form, we were NEVER asked to do anything else.

These forms now have 6 duplicate copies [attached] so that you can give one to anyone who needs it. Not all Vets are authorized to give this form, he/she MUST be a USDA Vet. check with yours.

This form will list all of Wexy's Vaccinations/Treatments and Testing History. It will be signed by your vet and your good to go. DON'T LET ANYONE INTIMIDATE YOU TO GET MORE VACCINE'S.

So you are saying NOT to have another rabies shot? And the USDA health Certificate is all we really need?

Maybe going via a cruise is different than what we experienced. I was thinking of taking a cruise ship directly from Mexico, not going to Mexico via the US. I'll look for the papers for you though. Sorry for any confusion or anxiety I may have caused. Just sharing our experience...

So you are saying NOT to have another rabies shot? And the USDA health Certificate is all we really need?

To go to all ports in the Mexican Riviera this is all you need.

I always bring a copy of Brenda's City License; CCI Cert. Card; Letter from my Vet stating that Brenda is in good health to travel by land/sea & air [Animal Health Statement-this mentions the Distemper, Hepatitis, Parainfluenza, Parvo & Corona Vaccine.]

I have NEVER been approached by any TSA or Immigration from any Mexican Port [via cruise] that ever asked me to pay anything or was ever told that Brenda was not immunized enough [all my documentation more than satisfied anyone who asked to see my paperwork.]

Edited by wizard-of-roz

Maybe going via a cruise is different than what we experienced. I was thinking of taking a cruise ship directly from Mexico, not going to Mexico via the US. I'll look for the papers for you though. Sorry for any confusion or anxiety I may have caused. Just sharing our experience...

I've also found that you can be approached by a "Newbie-Immigration Officer" or TSA worker - They're the worst. We once had a very "green" officer ask to examine Brenda's paws, when I asked him what he was doing, he said he wanted to make sure Brenda wasn't carrying any parasites in on her "feet." He also wanted to examine the soles of our shoes, until a more senior officer stepped in and told us to just "move on!"

You may be approached to go into a private room for examination [as we were once], I asked to see a Supervisor and again was told to "move on!"

Use your good senses and don't allow yourself to be intimidated - but don't become angry toned or raise your voice.......pretend you're doing some dog training.....stay calm and assertive.