Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

So to distract ourselves while we wait for Roz, I have a question: Why doesn't CCI use Chocolate Labs? Just because they're less common and not in their breeding lineage or is there some other reason? Now that I think of it, I don't think I've ever seen a chocolate service dog.

Toby (our Chocolate Lab) is super-smart and probably would have made a great service animal. He knows at least 30-40 words and can follow multi-part commands. On the other hand, Tyler (our Yellow Lab) is dumb as a rock. Sit, down and stay are about as much as he can handle. Not that we love him any less--what Tyler lacks in smarts he makes up in affection!

Kathi

Kathi, I asked the same question and was told by a trainer that Chocolate Labs are notoriously "dingy!"

Okay, this is my very last writing until I come back from CCI......I've loaded-up my car with clothes for me, dog toys and grooming stuff for him/her and snacks and diet coke for the road trip for me. I put in the Holiday gifts for the kids in San Francisco [who I'll visit on the way home] and linens for my bed in the dorm at CCI. I'll pack the food for my meals in the morning along with the rest of my stuff. I keep dog dishes in the car for road trips with Brenny, her scent is all over my car, I think "Successor" will be introduced to her long before they physically meet.

I put down "Successor's" dog dishes, across the room from Brenny's and you should have seen Brenny, she immediately went over to investigate them....hoping to find more dinner in them, I'm sure. Oh! Boy! Life is certainly going to change for my girl.....I hope "Successor" shows the respect that Brenny has so earned in our home! I'll acccept no less! ;)

Good night dear friends.........talk to you in a week. :)

On the other hand, Tyler (our Yellow Lab) is dumb as a rock. Not that we love him any less--what Tyler lacks in smarts he makes up in affection!

Kathi

That totally explains Sarge to the "T". He was one of my two Katrina rescues and he was hurt during the storm with a broken tail, broken jaw and also hit in the head. I am pretty good with dogs, Blitz and King are the pride of my training ability. King was on CNN because we made a great team in 05 catching looters right after Katrina. Sarge has put my patience to the test; he knows sit and recently picked up give me paw. If there was ever a chance that s dog had lights on and no one home...... As for affection no one gives kisses better than Sarge. Remember a picture is worth thousands of words....

390182_10150387344506022_508476021_8724466_1002143917_n.jpg

That totally explains Sarge to the "T". He was one of my two Katrina rescues and he was hurt during the storm with a broken tail, broken jaw and also hit in the head. I am pretty good with dogs, Blitz and King are the pride of my training ability. King was on CNN because we made a great team in 05 catching looters right after Katrina. Sarge has put my patience to the test; he knows sit and recently picked up give me paw. If there was ever a chance that s dog had lights on and no one home...... As for affection no one gives kisses better than Sarge. Remember a picture is worth thousands of words....

Well, come on Dad, look at the ridiculous hat you have on me! :D Labs come in all intellitic (sp), personality and just "you gotta love em." I miss my big ole' lug Reno so much. But now have my "little" 20 pounder Jezzy Lou with the issue she comes with. It is up to us to provide her with the teachings to exceed. Working on it everyday...........

So to distract ourselves while we wait for Roz, I have a question: Why doesn't CCI use Chocolate Labs? Just because they're less common and not in their breeding lineage or is there some other reason? Now that I think of it, I don't think I've ever seen a chocolate service dog.

Toby (our Chocolate Lab) is super-smart and probably would have made a great service animal. He knows at least 30-40 words and can follow multi-part commands. On the other hand, Tyler (our Yellow Lab) is dumb as a rock. Sit, down and stay are about as much as he can handle. Not that we love him any less--what Tyler lacks in smarts he makes up in affection!

Kathi

I was told by a trainer at another dog org. that chocolate labs are dumb. I had one years ago and he certainly wasn't to bright even though he was beautiful.

Love the pic!! I admire you for taking in a Katrina dog. I remember being heartbroken when all those animals were left behind cuz some idiots didn't think they were important enough to save. I was so moved that my donation to Katrina went to the aspca who were helping these animals.

Love the pic!! I admire you for taking in a Katrina dog. I remember being heartbroken when all those animals were left behind cuz some idiots didn't think they were important enough to save. I was so moved that my donation to Katrina went to the aspca who were helping these animals.

I agree 100%, Sarge was a puppy of maybe 9 weeks old (unsure) and when the storm hit the idiot owners left him behind. I live in the storm area also and Katrina took my roof off and some great lawn work. I also found out that Camaros can old allot of water inside them (LOL). Sarge was found in Gulfport or Long Beach and by the time I was able to adopt him he was estimated at 3 months old. He can't wag his tail like a normal dog its not free flowing and very stiff. His lower jaw does not line up and actually hangs out a little further than the upper jaw. He was the most difficult dog to house train and really pushed me beyond any other dog. The only time I really have seen him being defensive was after King passed away I was walking Sarge and it was really dark and the street lights were out and Sarge heard the same thing I did and he did a growl that even scared me. I was really tore up and not paying attention and since Kings passing Sarge has come into his own. Sarge has become a very loving dog after the passing of King; and most recently he has tried to become a lapdog and will come to me once or twice a week looking for attention. Sarges favorite place to sleep in in the couch just within arms reach when I am in the lazyboy. He often looks at me and just stares at me and out of all dogs in my entire life he gives kisses the best. I know those first few weeks were tough on him and then the recovery from the surgery and then living in a humane shelter that turned out being a kill shelter. I was contacted by a friend in Ct who told me about Sarge. I called the shelter and they offered to hold Sarge till that weekend which was the only time I could drive to the shelter to get him. We met Sarge after driving 7 hours and left with Sarge. Afterwards they shelter manager told me Sarge would have been put to sleep had I not adopted him. The only issue I still have with Sarge still is he is a runner. If I leave a door open or unprotected he will run for it and continue and it takes hours to recover him. The main issue it Sarge is about 70lbs and many people are scared of a large dog running around. Luckily it does not happen too often and last time was about a year ago. While he is on a leash he is perfect, in the house he is perfect; just has a fleeing thing about him. I guess he has to strech those wings and fly when given a chance..... It took a few weeks to break Sarge of food agressiveness that he learned at the shelter (King broke him) and now life is grand with my little white puppy. You know the saying, Lights are on, nobody is home and there is no forwarding address..... lol

Evenin' all:

I wonder if poor Roz has stopped crying yet. Bless her heart. I have a visual of her sitting on her bed, in the dorm with successor sitting next to her. Roz has her arm around them and is telling them all about Brenda. They are also watching tv! :D She mentions Morey and how they go on cruises and road trips and work. Successor is eating it up and taking all the attention they can get.

Evenin' all:

I wonder if poor Roz has stopped crying yet. Bless her heart. I have a visual of her sitting on her bed, in the dorm with successor sitting next to her. Roz has her arm around them and is telling them all about Brenda. They are also watching tv! :D She mentions Morey and how they go on cruises and road trips and work. Successor is eating it up and taking all the attention they can get.

I'm sure its not like that, I bet they are already making plans for the first cruise with the entire family, two service dogs and she might even take her husband..... :)

That's the same thing we were told. They never had very much luck with Chocolate Labs.

I was told by a trainer at another dog org. that chocolate labs are dumb. I had one years ago and he certainly wasn't to bright even though he was beautiful.

Well, I guess Toby's the exception that proves the rule then. Cindy, that's what we say about Tyler--good thing he's good-looking 'cause he sure isn't going to get by on his brains! :D

Evenin' all:

This gave me goosebumps Nancy! While we're all waiting (more or less) patiently, I forgot that Roz has actually already met "Successor" now! I bet she's crying too--crying with joy and gratitude.

Kathi

This gave me goosebumps Nancy! While we're all waiting (more or less) patiently, I forgot that Roz has actually already met "Successor" now! I bet she's crying too--crying with joy and gratitude.

Kathi

Nope...by now Roz and Successor have taken control of the entire facility. :eek: Now they have an added lesson plan. "Cruise Training" :D

OK Morey...

Stop by and let us know how Roz is doing. We're not asking you to devulge state secrets, just a general how's she doing.

State secrets would be cool, like how this next election is going to be a hoot with the crop of people running so far....... :D