Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

I want to say a big thank you to all of you for taking me on your journey's. I sit here and read and visualize myself right there with you! :)

You are so welcome. Speaking for myself, I love when other folks are interested in my journey and take the time, like you do, to care for and love us and our dogs, as we do!

Again, speaking for myself, it can be scary, lonely and difficult but when we know there are people like you, Nancy, who are there to be our friends; the trials and tribulations of our journey are made so much easier. Thank you!

Just saying Hi----we are in Barefoot Bay for a week and the computer is off and on. Mostly off. Take care.

Trudy

Yay, it's Trudy! I want to live in "Trudy's World!" You know how to live my dear and I love hearing about your adventures.

Miss you! Have fun!

You are so welcome. Speaking for myself, I love when other folks are interested in my journey and take the time, like you do, to care for and love us and our dogs, as we do!

Again, speaking for myself, it can be scary, lonely and difficult but when we know there are people like you, Nancy, who are there to be our friends; the trials and tribulations of our journey are made so much easier. Thank you!

Thank you for taking me in, Roz. No service dog attached but that big ole yellow lug of mine to make everyones life brighter! Miss him, just like I miss your Ms. Brenny. Then there is Morey. The Papa of all Papa's. Don't mean to make you sad, but have had a lot of memories on my mind as of late. Good ones, but then tears. :)

Thank you for taking me in, Roz. No service dog attached but that big ole yellow lug of mine to make everyones life brighter! Miss him, just like I miss your Ms. Brenny. Then there is Morey. The Papa of all Papa's. Don't mean to make you sad, but have had a lot of memories on my mind as of late. Good ones, but then tears. :)

;) It's called "life", it can sure get our way, can't it!

Hello All! I am so enjoying all the vacation stories, just haven't had any time to post. The following link has a beautiful local article about some service dogs in our area. One was trained by CCI. Gracie is the sister to my daughter's Gibson. She is the sweetest thing and looks just like him only a tad smaller. Enjoy!

Beckie

http://www.kansascity.com/news/local/community/joco-913/article519259/Service-dogs-help-the-disabled-at-home-work.html

Hello All! I am so enjoying all the vacation stories, just haven't had any time to post. The following link has a beautiful local article about some service dogs in our area. One was trained by CCI. Gracie is the sister to my daughter's Gibson. She is the sweetest thing and looks just like him only a tad smaller. Enjoy!

Beckie

http://www.kansascity.com/news/local/community/joco-913/article519259/Service-dogs-help-the-disabled-at-home-work.html

Beckie, I loved reading the article. It was long but every new paragraph drew me in and was interesting.

I couldn't help but think of Fairbourne and DKD and Sunshine for all that they do to acclimate their pups to the world so they can become our "confidence builders" in life. Without them we're nothing!

I love how the dogs are referred to as "Caped Crusaders!" I never thought of that before but they definitely are our heroes!

Thanks so much for sharing the article with us!

Edited by wizard-of-roz

So the next day was Antigua. We didn't do ant excursions here. We just walked around and did a little shopping. Then back on the ship for more food and relaxing.

St. Lucia was next. We found a taxi with a van big enough to put the wheelchair in the back and we lifted my daughter onto a seat. We were going to take a four hour island tour. We drove around the island for about an hour always climbing up. The driver told us that there were over 350 hairpin turns on the island. Our first stop was a volcano. It was then that we found out that there was an extra charge to see it. We paid it and saw some steam and some boiling pools. At that point in the tour I had a massive headache and my wife had an upset stomach from all the curves. We were supposed to be going to a waterfall and some gardens next. My wife, daughter and I all agreed that we had had enough of the curves and we wanted to go back to the ship. On the way back, the van started to overheat. We had to go back with no A/C and just the windows open. Once we got back to the dock, we met up with our friends and did a little shopping.

Our last port was Barbados. It is a beautiful island. We found a taxi driver who had a van with a wheelchair lift in the back. But you guessed it...no tie-downs. Two other people joined us in the van and off we went. We saw beautiful beaches, very poor neighborhoods and very wealthy ones. The driver told us if we were lucky he would have a surprise for us. He pulled into the entrance of a golf club and stopped. There were a group of monkeys sitting on the ground. Everybody got out of the van and the driver started slicing up a banana for us to feed the monkeys with. They would take the pieces out of your hand. This was the highlight of the whole trip for my wife. He has had a thing for monkeys all her life. Then it was back in the van to complete the tour. Then back to the dock for more rest and food.

Then it was our sea day to get back to Puerto Rico and home. One of the things I didn't like about RCCL was that they didn't seem to have alot of activities planned. There wasn't even much for the sea day. But all in all we had a great time and would sail with RCCL again. In fact we are looking into a 5 day cruise to Bermuda next year. The only thing we are concerned with is if there will be enough to see on the island that will be accessible, and if not will there be enough to do one the ship. Or mayve we will just go back to Disney World for a week. Decisions, decisions.

Well that's it. If anyone has any questions, please feel free to ask.

Did you see the Pitons? Our cruise went along the coast so we could get a good look at them. They were just beautiful.

When we went to Barbados, not only was the dog not able to get off the ship but neither was John. They had a trolley that brought you from the ship to dock but since John was in the wheelchair and could not get on the trolley, they told him he was not allowed off the ship. They would not let him wheel to the dock. :mad: We thought that was really crappy but gladly stayed on the ship.

Did you see the Pitons? Our cruise went along the coast so we could get a good look at them. They were just beautiful.

When we went to Barbados, not only was the dog not able to get off the ship but neither was John. They had a trolley that brought you from the ship to dock but since John was in the wheelchair and could not get on the trolley, they told him he was not allowed off the ship. They would not let him wheel to the dock. :mad: We thought that was really crappy but gladly stayed on the ship.

You must have been so upset. After all, when you booked the cruise I'm sure you [John] thought you'd be seeing every port.

Hi everyone!

I was hoping you could clear something up for me. I am so happy to see the love and connections you all have with your service dogs! How wonderful!

The past 2 cruises I have been on I saw service dogs. On the Norwegian Dawn a few years ago, I was told that the dogs were terribly sick on the boat, which really upset me. This past cruise I saw a gorgeous German Shepherd service dog. The dog looked so sad and depressed. The owners never acknowledged him and he always seemed to be panting and in distress, they seemed to just drag him around and run into him (specifically speaking of the wife who clearly wasn't visually impaired).

So, are there different types of service dog owners? I am hoping that the dog on this past cruise was "working" at those times that I saw him and that they treat him like part of the family in other situations.

I have a Golden Retriever and he's like a child to me. I have a huge outpouring of love for all dogs, and hated to see these service dogs seem so distressed. Do they enjoy cruising?

Thanks! :) I mean no disrespect or anything, just eager to learn more about service dogs!

Edited by Kris10Rae

You must have been so upset. After all, when you booked the cruise I'm sure you [John] thought you'd be seeing every port.

We knew before hand that Wex could not get off the ship there, but we didn't think John couldn't. :eek:

Hi everyone!

I was hoping you could clear something up for me. I am so happy to see the love and connections you all have with your service dogs! How wonderful!

The past 2 cruises I have been on I saw service dogs. On the Norwegian Dawn a few years ago, I was told that the dogs were terribly sick on the boat, which really upset me. This past cruise I saw a gorgeous German Shepherd service dog. The dog looked so sad and depressed. The owners never acknowledged him and he always seemed to be panting and in distress, they seemed to just drag him around and run into him (specifically speaking of the wife who clearly wasn't visually impaired).

So, are there different types of service dog owners? I am hoping that the dog on this past cruise was "working" at those times that I saw him and that they treat him like part of the family in other situations. It really upset me!

I have a Golden Retriever and he's like a child to me. I have a huge outpouring of love for all dogs, and hated to see these service dogs seem so distressed. Do they enjoy cruising?

Thanks! :) I mean no disrespect or anything, just eager to learn more about service dogs!

Welcome Kris. Our service dog loves to cruise!! When I get the suitcases out of the closet, he goes nuts. He loves all the attention he gets and has to say hi to everybody (even if they don't want to say hi to him). We treat him like our child, and wouldn't have it any other way. He loves to go back to the cabin in the afternoon, hop on the bed and take a snooze. I think the sea air poops him out too! On the otherhand seeing eye dog is a different thing. Most of the ones I've seen do not get patted by strangers. Their owners need their full attention. It really depends on the owner of the dog. I've seen service dogs that don't get patted either.

Cindy

I posted a few pics so you can see what a horrible time he's having. LOL :D

DSCN1153.jpg.2bfcfbbfd537390ffacae2bd8fb9ce5c.jpg

1409717248_CopyofCabanaSunning.jpg.cab2f5f8b3f111c8a77fec5ae346be8d.jpg

DSCN1208.jpg.136061ef30f46a80842d4f32b0322cde.jpg

DSCN1240.jpg.a3b3618a1a6184bb9876af209e767592.jpg

1741920562_CopyofV181-F1-GRY-2-2002.jpg.00ad8fca9c66efaef27d907f5a5462fd.jpg

Welcome Kris. Our service dog loves to cruise!! When I get the suitcases out of the closet, he goes nuts. He loves all the attention he gets and has to say hi to everybody (even if they don't want to say hi to him). We treat him like our child, and wouldn't have it any other way. He loves to go back to the cabin in the afternoon, hop on the bed and take a snooze. I think the sea air poops him out too! On the otherhand seeing eye dog is a different thing. Most of the ones I've seen do not get patted by strangers. Their owners need their full attention. It really depends on the owner of the dog. I've seen service dogs that don't get patted either.

Cindy

Awwwwww, Wex, you poor boy. How they miss-treat you! :rolleyes:

Hi everyone!

So, are there different types of service dog owners? I am hoping that the dog on this past cruise was "working" at those times that I saw him and that they treat him like part of the family in other situations.

Kris, welcome to our world. Thank you for your concerns and your good questions.

There is absolutely no reason why a Service/Working Dog can not be patted and loved like every other dog. When the Seeing Eye Dog is laying/sitting with it's person and you kindly ask if you may "pat" the dog, there's no reason [legitimately] why they can't say "yes!" The dog is NOT working when the person is sitting. You NEVER want to touch a Service Dog while it's in motion, NEVER, NEVER. You don't want to distract or draw it's attention away from it owner.

Some Service Dogs are continuing to work while they are sitting or laying down. You ALWAYS want to ask for permission.

There is no reason why a Service Dog should look like it's dying for water/overheated or in distress. Usually on the side of the cape/vest you will see the name of the Service Dog Organization. If you have any doubts that the dog is being treated fairly call the Organization and report it to them. Give the description of the dog/person and where you saw this. But, may I suggest that you first speak with the person and get more information before you make your report.

Service/Working Dogs go through a myriad of training procedures before they are allowed into the public venue. They are usually, put in cars, trains, buses, boats, airplanes and even farm equipment, depending on the needs of the human who they will be working for.

Before I got my dogs, I was interviewed several times and during those interviews I was asked what I wanted from my dog. TRAVEL was number one on my list so you can imagine what my dog was put through during his/her training. If they got car/boat or air sick, they were not the dogs for me!

Anyone can get sick at any time, even dogs. Sometimes, they just don't feel well that day and you happened to see it. But, usually, if you see a legitimate Service Dog out in public it should be in good health, well groomed and fit for traveling anywhere on anything!

Sometimes the most sound and happy dog can have a grumpy, sad and sickly look.......if you wait around and watch that dog in a few minutes, the sad/sickly/mopey look goes away and the second they're moving again, he's happy as a lark. I know that Horton can give the saddest expression sometimes and the first thing people will say is, "why is he so sad?" Then I bring out a treat and suddenly, "Mr. Mopey" turns into a bright, lively excited dog!

And, then there's the person with the dog who doesn't want to be social and won't let you near his dog. That's his prerogative....me, I love making new friends and so does my Horty.

Beckie

Great article - thanks for sharing.

Cindy

I love the up-close picture of Wex with his head on the pillow and his eyes closed. I just want to cuddle-up next to him and smooch his face!!!!!!

Alright little Ms. Princess Pony Pants (Cindy)I have sent Sexy Wexy an email. It clearly gives him the phone number 1-800 In-Humane. I instructed him to print those pictures you posted of him in different array of nekkidness. Pfttt. You will be hearing from his attorney. You got your paw caught in the cookie jar. :D As for John not being allowed off the ship. Do I see a pawtern here and you were with both of these said individuals? It sounds to me that you are the common denominator! You must make it up to both of them!

Kris, I would be upset too, if I saw any pupper looking sad. Maybe it was just an off day for them. Good advice to ask if you can pet them. You have a 50/50 chance of a "yes" and then maybe the pupper's demeanor will change and you will get to see them happy.

Beckie

Thanks for this, made interesting reading. I may be wrong but the way I read it, it seemed as if the puppy raisers were "financially responsible", pay for everything for the pups at one organisation, or is it just not quite clearly written?

The Guide Dogs for the Blind furnish us with everything we need, from different size collars, leads (the blue fabric one turns into a big girl leather one!), vet bills and of course food. The food is discounted from the manufacturer and we order it from a special number - our first order arrived, a 20kg sack! :eek: we are getting through it - slowly! But you can choose to sponsor the puppy's food for example (:)) but as they get it discounted, it's easier just to give a donation. They also give the puppy walker a £100 payment to cover any out of pocket expenses - we declined - the way I look at it, she gives us way more than £100 worth of joy, every day!!!:D.

image.jpg.547ea5edd99ea0ba3c0980bb780275f9.jpg

Hi everyone!

Hi. Kris10Rae - welcome:)

All of what Roz has said and I just wanted to add my tuppence worth!

As a newbie puopy walker (raiser), we are now at the stage of going out and about starting with short walks in our neighbourhood, and sometimes off in the car to new places for the pup.

The one thing I was told about that could/would be an issue, is that people just want to pet this cute pup! And that's fine in itself as it raises awareness of what we are doing. But, when you are on a roll with the walking exercise and Aruba has stopped trying to chew her lead and is walking "bonny", is responding to my encouraging commands, then some random person shouts out "oh puppy, how cute" and immediately without asking jumps on this little pup and totally distracts her and encourages her to jump up - when we've spent the last few weeks training her not to jump up!

It's a hard one, it really is but is just one of those things we have to deal with.

I would feel sad like you if I saw any animal being ignored or panting in distress, that is unacceptable, and I'm not sure I would be able to not say anything. Was this dog actually a service dog? Only asking as I've read so much about people trying to buck the system with their fake service dogs!

Raising a guide dog is quite different from raising a dog who is going to be a family "pet". Another example I can give you, is no jumping or getting on the furniture. Now it may well be that when Aruba goes to her guide dog owner, she will have her own chair (well, Brenda had her own couch, and I'm sure I remember reading Oz had his own place on the bed!:D;)), but we have to train them not to go on the furniture. This is working fine, even though our two have their own sofa! But she has her mat (lovely comfy piece of vet bed fleece) and she goes there and tidies all her toys back onto this mat - she's smart - and she looks at the two big dogs lolling about on their sofa, but she doesn't get up there. I do this by making it more interesting for her to be on her mat.

She's also allowed no treats, other than a hide chew. So I take kibbles out of her daily meal allowance and use them when the others get a dog biscuit. So far she hasn't caught on!!! LOL!

Aruba gets lots of cuddles .... Should be on the dog shelf (floor), but until the time comes when I can't lift her up (and that will be soon I fear), I sneakily give her a big bosie (hug) just before bedtime when I'm sitting in my chair .... But shhhhhhh don't tell anyone!

I think the point I'm trying to make, is that we are aiming to send off a well-mannered, socialised dog with hopefully no bad habits, to their formal training. What happens when they get to their Guide Dog Owners house, well that's another matter! ;):). Or on a cruise ship!!!

image.jpg.cbbe94012a7e7d36b00edf899fcfeaa7.jpg

Edited by fairbourne

I love the up-close picture of Wex with his head on the pillow and his eyes closed. I just want to cuddle-up next to him and smooch his face!!!!!!

Me too! But I'm not sure there would be room for us and that big boy! He sure knows how to take up the whole bed!!!! :D

Cindy - Wex is so handsome, how could you treat him so badly! Thank goodness Aunty Nancy sent him that email - I'm surprised she didn't send YOU to the doghouse (in the hope that a doghouse is nothing remotely the same as a cathouse!!!:p:D)

Cindy

My GOODNESS Cindy, he is so handsome! He certainly seems to be enjoying those comfy beds! :)

You NEVER want to touch a Service Dog while it's in motion, NEVER, NEVER. You don't want to distract or draw it's attention away from it owner.

But, may I suggest that you first speak with the person and get more information before you make your report.

No worries, I would never attempt to pet a working dog. Although if the owner saw that I was eyeing the dog and offered I certainly would! :) AND, I wouldn't think of ever reporting anything, because I am not educated on the subject at hand. It certainly wouldn't be right to complain about something I didn't know anything about!

Thank you for your answers. I really appreciate hearing all about these great dogs! :)

You know how you just can't trust a handsome man in a wheelchair! :eek: :rolleyes:

He is handsome isn't he? ;)

I just love when he is sleeping. Especially when he's on his side and all his paws are together.

Alright little Ms. Princess Pony Pants (Cindy)I have sent Sexy Wexy an email. It clearly gives him the phone number 1-800 In-Humane. I instructed him to print those pictures you posted of him in different array of nekkidness. Pfttt. You will be hearing from his attorney. You got your paw caught in the cookie jar. :D As for John not being allowed off the ship. Do I see a pawtern here and you were with both of these said individuals? It sounds to me that you are the common denominator! You must make it up to both of them!

Kris, I would be upset too, if I saw any pupper looking sad. Maybe it was just an off day for them. Good advice to ask if you can pet them. You have a 50/50 chance of a "yes" and then maybe the pupper's demeanor will change and you will get to see them happy.

Haven't heard Princess Pony Pants for a while!! You know he probably would call the "in-humane" society and complain he is not getting enough cookies!! :eek: And stop looking at my nekid dog!!:(

Thanks for this, made interesting reading. I may be wrong but the way I read it, it seemed as if the puppy raisers were "financially responsible", pay for everything for the pups at one organisation, or is it just not quite clearly written?

The Guide Dogs for the Blind furnish us with everything we need, from different size collars, leads (the blue fabric one turns into a big girl leather one!), vet bills and of course food. The food is discounted from the manufacturer and we order it from a special number - our first order arrived, a 20kg sack! :eek: we are getting through it - slowly! But you can choose to sponsor the puppy's food for example (:)) but as they get it discounted, it's easier just to give a donation. They also give the puppy walker a £100 payment to cover any out of pocket expenses - we declined - the way I look at it, she gives us way more than £100 worth of joy, every day!!!:D.

OMG Fairbourne they are just beautiful!!!!!

Our puppy raisers tell us that they spend around $4,000 US raising a pup.