Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

[quote name='Folk Singer']This is a great site. We saw several Service Dogs on the RCCL lines with grass and a wooden box. I am with Lions Club International so we often purchase Service Dogs for those in need of one. :)
[/QUOTE]

Folk Singer - thank you for what you and the Lions Club do!

Carnival vs. RCCL (Sensation vs. Enchantment of the Seas)

I'm leaning towards RCCL. Their Special Services Department was very helpful, and they will do sod boxes, and provide enough for the number of dogs. Also the Enchantment is probably more accessible. I have been on the Sensation, and though I liked it, the adult Serenity Deck isn't all that accessible. Lots more bells and whistles on the Enchantment while not being an overwhelming mega-ship.

Plus really good promotion right now. Have decided that's it's too hard doing a set group cruise. Much easier to say, "here's what we've booked - hope you book too..."

Hope you all aren't sick of me - I can be chatty online!

Holly

[quote name='Folk Singer']This is a great site. We saw several Service Dogs on the RCCL lines with grass and a wooden box. I am with Lions Club International so we often purchase Service Dogs for those in need of one. :)

It is nice to read about how they have and can change lives. And how accessible the Cruise Companies are making things. :)

The Cruise Critic is such a great forum for information.[/QUOTE]

A BIG thanks to you and your fellow Lions Club members who sponsor service dogs on behalf of others who may have received dogs as a result. What a tremendous service project! Just like those who volunteer as puppy-raisers and many other ways, you are more appreciated than you'll ever know by people you may never meet.

My dog (from Dogs for the Deaf, an Oregon nonprofit) was sponsored by the Good Sam Club, an organization for people with RVs. They are the single largest supporters of Dogs for the Deaf every year, and I am so grateful for their projects that made my hearing dog possible.

[quote name='thephantomsgirl']More questions!

Still looking at a service dog group cruise for our organization. We'd really want to sail out of Port Canaveral as it's the closets for most people. Also pretty much decided a four day would be best for most as well.

So that puts it between the Carnival Sensation and the Royal Caribbean Enchantment of the Seas.

I've been on the Sensation and liked it well enough. Looks like the RCCL ship has a few more perks. What are your thoughts - having traveled with SD's - either one win over the other.

I know it's been mentioned on here but I'm still in the early pages...

Holly[/QUOTE]

[COLOR="Indigo"][B]I like both cruise lines for different reasons. I think they both have the Service Dog thing down pretty well. And, you're becoming very smart about it too and know what to ask for and what you can expect!

Remember, that when you're traveling with a dog, I think it's best to have a good plan. Although, I have a good friend who does all the last minute cruises at the last minute with his dog. I don't recommend it.

And, with some ports there's no way to visit them with your dog if your not prepared with the proper paperwork. You may even have a difficult time getting onboard![/B][/COLOR]

[quote name='thephantomsgirl']Test for link to photo album

[url]http://s1181.photobucket.com/user/Hollykins2/library/Dog%20Classes[/url]

If this works, I'll add some of the other photos I have. (again warning I LOVE taking photos...)[/QUOTE]

[COLOR="Indigo"][B]I love photos. Thanks for sharing them.[/B][/COLOR]

[quote name='cjborne2']Phantom, I have never sailed on RCL, but the last trip was Carnival that went to the Bahamas.

If you decide on Carnival, please, please, please make sure that ALL departments know about the dog(s). We had a TERRIBLE transportation issue come up in Nassau during our cruise last two summers ago. When my husband and I went went to board the shuttle to Atlantis with the dog, we were denied boarding and were told [U]we should have[/U] made special arrangements. When we went back to the ship, we were told that they were not aware the dog would be going on the excursion with us. If disability services and housekeeping knew, and they had copies of the paperwork, explain to me how they did NOT KNOW? We took similar transportation the day before in Freeport and the shuttle van driver could not have been more helpful.

If you do sail Carnival, I would, of course, fill out the needed paperwork before you board and then follow up once you get on the ship.

In the end, we did get to Atlantis, but wasted a good part of the day and had to cut the visit short to make sure we could grab a cab that would take the dog. My kids were traumatized because my husband and I could not get on the bus (they were with their grandmother and other extended family). And Atlantis is huge. It took a while for us to find them once we got on property.[/QUOTE]

[COLOR="Indigo"][B]What an awful nightmare for you. Thank goodness it all worked out but depending on the handler this could have completely turned someone off to ever cruising again with their SD![/B][/COLOR]

It is nice to read about how they have and can change lives. And how accessible the Cruise Companies are making things. :)

The Cruise Critic is such a great forum for information.[/QUOTE]

[COLOR="Indigo"][B]When I went to Team Training at CCI in Santa Rosa, CA, the Lions Club promoted "The Lions Project" donating not only money but their time to come to the grounds and be so helpful with all of us"newbies!" They would sit and be with some of us who didn't have anyone with us and they would cheer and encourage those of us who were so scared and never really trained with a dog before.

The Lions Club Intl. is an amazingly philanthropic group that makes such a difference in so many people's lives. THANK YOU for all that you do for so many.

And, yes, the cruise lines are making it so much better for we who walk and wheel through life with a Service Dog.

I love Cruise Critic because they brought into my life ALL these amazingly wonderful, likeminded folks!!!

Love,
Roz, Morey, Brenda & Horton ♥[/B][/COLOR] Edited by wizard-of-roz

[quote name='S.S. Cruisers'][COLOR=SeaGreen][SIZE=3]Quam, I do not warm Jezzy Lou's up. Being in our warm climate, it is not hard, but rather soft. I just put it in with her kibble, small amount of wet food, pumpkin and stir it all up. I make sure I smoosh all the chunks! What about in the microwave for like 10 seconds or less?[/SIZE][/COLOR][/QUOTE]

I have done the microwave, but not in the original container because it is plastic, so getting a bowl dirty just for that is annoying. Washing the measuring spoon is annoying, too, because it is so oily, so it has to be washed with soap each time. When I gave it, I gave it with her kibble, not her canned food, so the only way to mix it in was to warm it. I tried one time to give it as a chunk and she did eat it, but I felt bad about giving it to her that way. :p

[quote name='tvaud'][B]It's so funny that you mentioned lettuce. Pedro loves lettuce too. I can't enjoy a salad by myself anymore. He gives me the sad eyes and I always give in. Crunchy or limp, he will eat it. LOL He loves veggies too. Oh, and forget about ordering a pepperoni pizza, expecting to eat the pepperoni. Pizza night at our house is tough. Pedro goes nuts over pepperoni and our parrots scream for the crusts. One of our macaws, Gloria Estefeather, can even say "pizza." In our house, it's all about sharing...:rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

That's funny about the birds, although that would drive me insane! (Sorry, but I hate birds. They can be pretty to look at, but wayyyyyyyyy too noisy for me! And I can't get over the nastiness of bird poop, LOL!)

For my service dog's birthday each year, I get her a personal pan pizza with lots of meat toppings as her birthday dinner. I think you can probably guess how happy that makes her! :D She otherwise only gets a few crusts from pizzas except for DiGiorno pizzas, though now they changed their sauce back to the nasty original one, so I don't buy those anymore. My dog waits to get something from me, as she knows better than to beg at me, but I can't say the same for when her "grandparents" are eating (they love to spoil their granddog :rolleyes:). She behaves just fine, just as any service dog should, when working and we're at a restaurant or wherever, of course!

[QUOTE]I have to check out all of the nutritional supplements you all suggested.

I do have another question... Have any of you encountered any problems in the various foreign ports entering businesses or restaurants with your dogs?Have you ever been denied entry? Any problems with ship or private tours allowing our dogs?

Today, we are at the 30 day mark before we sail. Crunch time.:D

Cindra[/B][/QUOTE]

Education about what service dogs are, what they do, and how they behave is very important when trying to gain access when someone doesn't want to give it in a country without access laws. For instance, in a taxi, you explain about service dogs and some tasks they do, including what yours does for you, and explain that your dog will simply lay on the floor, be still, and be quiet. For a restaurant, you do that and explain the dog will stay laying on the floor under the table for the entire time. You should say they are just like guide dogs, as many people have seen or heard of guide dogs from TV and/or movies. You can explain that your dog goes everywhere with you, so is used to everything and behaving. Stuff like that. After they hesitantly let you in, when you go to leave, they will likely say how amazed they are at your dog! :D

Do tell private tours about the dog upfront, since you don't have laws on your side like in the States. I would think ship tours could not deny the dog (except for safety issues, of course, like a zipline excursion) because the ships go by the ADA if they left from the US, but I am not entirely certain about that.

I find it very helpful to use a packing list app on my phone for packing for both my service dog and myself for all my trips. It is called "Packing List Full" (paid version). I have master lists for both my dog and myself, then make trip-specific lists from those lists.

[quote name='thephantomsgirl']Carnival vs. RCCL (Sensation vs. Enchantment of the Seas)

I'm leaning towards RCCL. Their Special Services Department was very helpful, and they will do sod boxes, and provide enough for the number of dogs. Also the Enchantment is probably more accessible. I have been on the Sensation, and though I liked it, the adult Serenity Deck isn't all that accessible. Lots more bells and whistles on the Enchantment while not being an overwhelming mega-ship.

Plus really good promotion right now. Have decided that's it's too hard doing a set group cruise. Much easier to say, "here's what we've booked - hope you book too..."

Holly[/QUOTE]

I have been on both lines (but not those particular ships) and they were both good. The food is better on RCCL, IMO.

I would go with doing a group cruise for the benefits of group amenities (including a free berth for every X number of paid berths), though! You can always use a travel agent if you don't want to do it yourself. Travel agents don't cost you money, as they get paid by the cruise line, not charging you or the travellers. If you do do the work yourself, you could take the free berth for yourself.... ;)

The trouble with doing a group cruise is everyone has to book within a two week window. For a wedding or something I could see this happening. For a general group cruise...not so much.

They don't give free cruises as readily now either. It's like $100 credit for every eight cabins. Which if I'd done it, I'd have spread it out through all the people.
So thinking it might just be easier to book individually. Yes, it'd be nice to get a free or discounted cruise, but I'd not feel right doing that in this case. (in others perhaps! :) )

Leaning towards RCCL.

[quote name='thephantomsgirl']The trouble with doing a group cruise is everyone has to book within a two week window. For a wedding or something I could see this happening. For a general group cruise...not so much.

They don't give free cruises as readily now either. It's like $100 credit for every eight cabins. Which if I'd done it, I'd have spread it out through all the people.
So thinking it might just be easier to book individually. Yes, it'd be nice to get a free or discounted cruise, but I'd not feel right doing that in this case. (in others perhaps! :) )

Leaning towards RCCL.[/QUOTE]

I[COLOR="Indigo"][B] like your "leaning" choice.[/B][/COLOR] ;)

I just booked RCCL, Enchantment of the Seas.

Ended up getting an OV cabin. With the promo they have running right now it was a no-brainer. For an OV cabin they are giving $100 OBC. The difference means that I am actually paying $17 LESS to go OV rather than Interior.

Now hopefully they'll also have some price drops or promos so I can either upgrade or get more OBC. :)

Marked my reservation as having a SD, even though he/she isn't here yet. (hopefully soon!)

[quote name='wizard-of-roz'][COLOR="Indigo"][B]When I went to Team Training at CCI in Santa Rosa, CA, the Lions Club promoted "The Lions Project" donating not only money but their time to come to the grounds and be so helpful with all of us"newbies!" They would sit and be with some of us who didn't have anyone with us and they would cheer and encourage those of us who were so scared and never really trained with a dog before.

The Lions Club Intl. is an amazingly philanthropic group that makes such a difference in so many people's lives. THANK YOU for all that you do for so many.

And, yes, the cruise lines are making it so much better for we who walk and wheel through life with a Service Dog.

I love Cruise Critic because they brought into my life ALL these amazingly wonderful, likeminded folks!!!

Love,
Roz, Morey, Brenda & Horton ♥[/B][/COLOR][/QUOTE]

We have a Dog Training School in The Toronto area as well. You are also very welcome.

[quote name='thephantomsgirl']Carnival vs. RCCL (Sensation vs. Enchantment of the Seas)

Holly[/QUOTE]

[COLOR="Indigo"][B]Holly, you're being very helpful. I wouldn't know what being "chatty" is all about. [/B][/COLOR]:p ;)

[COLOR="Indigo"][B]Thanks for your input.[/B][/COLOR]

Am I here?? Yessssssssssssssss

Hi Everyone!!!! I came in the other day and wrote this big long thing and then the friggin laptop lost it :eek::mad: Whoever invented the mouse pad thingy on a laptop should be shot. lol I have connected our wireless mouse and I am happy. :D

I heard from a little birdie that we are on our cruise right now. Contrary to popular belief, we are not on a cruise right now. 2 weeks to go. But we are very excited.

In the past 2 months, John has had 2 bad shoulders and a bad neck. He is finally well and he better stay that way.

As some of you know, Wex had a horrible ear infection. We just finiched 2 weeks of ear meds. He stayed home a few days cuz we didnt want the kids at school touching his ear because they were so sensitive. He is all better now. :D

We had a nice but busy holiday. We went to both families this year back and forth from mass to ct. Not fun. John getting in and out of my car killed his arm and he spent his whole vacation sitting doing nothing. That was fun.

Johns mom has offered to buy us a new van. So we started the process. I have no idea how long this is going to take. We have to buy the van and then it goes somewhere to get equipped with all the handicapped stuff. He is hoping we will have it by the summer. He is not happy that I am making him get a minivan instead of another econoline van like we have now. Well it drives like a truck for one thing, its too big and sucks up the gas.

I have tried reading back a few pages to catch up but I will never be able to read everything.

I hope everyone is well! Now that I hooked up the mouse, maybe I can come back more often. I miss all my friends. :D

Cindy

Well, we just can't help ourselves. (Like I saw on someone's post once: "I don't have cruise control. They just sort of book themselves.") We booked a a new April cruise today - just seven days departing 4/12 on Holland America's Ryndam out of Tampa.

After we've dealt with some medical issues this month and the accompanying stress that sometimes provides a wake up call - hey, maybe we won't live forever? - we decided to splurge for our 35th anniversary instead of going out to dinner. We celebrated the 31st on the Ryndam four years ago, an April transatlantic also out of Tampa, gone a month altogether. We have relatives in the Tampa area, so can visit before or after.

Raylene did so well in December that I have a lot more confidence about this trip. Does anyone remember where Holland America puts "The Box"? We booked lower promenade deck which we liked last time, and I am hoping it will be around there somewhere.

So now I'll need to get organized and investigate the countries' requirements (Honduras, Guatemala and Mexico) in case we want to get off (not that I care - I just love being on a ship!) First port is Key West. Any input is welcome.

Edited by Caribbean Chris

Am I here?? Yessssssssssssssss

Hi Everyone!!!! I came in the other day and wrote this big long thing and then the friggin laptop lost it :eek::mad: Whoever invented the mouse pad thingy on a laptop should be shot. lol I have connected our wireless mouse and I am happy. :D

I heard from a little birdie that we are on our cruise right now. Contrary to popular belief, we are not on a cruise right now. 2 weeks to go. But we are very excited.

In the past 2 months, John has had 2 bad shoulders and a bad neck. He is finally well and he better stay that way.

As some of you know, Wex had a horrible ear infection. We just finiched 2 weeks of ear meds. He stayed home a few days cuz we didnt want the kids at school touching his ear because they were so sensitive. He is all better now. :D

We had a nice but busy holiday. We went to both families this year back and forth from mass to ct. Not fun. John getting in and out of my car killed his arm and he spent his whole vacation sitting doing nothing. That was fun.

Johns mom has offered to buy us a new van. So we started the process. I have no idea how long this is going to take. We have to buy the van and then it goes somewhere to get equipped with all the handicapped stuff. He is hoping we will have it by the summer. He is not happy that I am making him get a minivan instead of another econoline van like we have now. Well it drives like a truck for one thing, its too big and sucks up the gas.

I have tried reading back a few pages to catch up but I will never be able to read everything.

I hope everyone is well! Now that I hooked up the mouse, maybe I can come back more often. I miss all my friends. :D

Cindy

Cindy oh Cindy, I've missed you so. Honestly, I'm such a baby. But, I don't like it when you're not around. Let's see if I can bring you up to speed........

We have a few new friends onboard with us and that's always fun.

Quam is still balling us out for one thing or another!

Aruba is eating everything in her sight.....not a good thing, or fun for her Mum!

Trudy is still MIA.....we miss her!

DKD is his typical self; misbehaving very badly!

Nancy's busy playing with wads of oil....Personally, sounds very yucky!

Chris is giving advice to the newbies.........Holly, Cindra and there's Pedro and a bird named Gloria Estefeather...We're becoming a very eclectic group. There's a Folksinger and a Phantom'sgirl.

cjborne popped in to say hi.

I'm sorry to hear about John's ache's and pains and poor Wexy's ears. I hate it when these Labs start with the ear problems. But I am so glad to hear about the new van.

I, too, hate the darn lap tops and don't do well with the mouse pad. I'm always either wiping out what I just did or adding something that I never wanted.

In any case it's so good to hear from you. Stay onboard!!! :D

Edited by wizard-of-roz

Well, we just can't help ourselves. (Like I saw on someone's post once: "I don't have cruise control. They just sort of book themselves.") We booked a a new April cruise today - just seven days departing 4/12 on Holland America's Ryndam out of Tampa.

After we've dealt with some medical issues this month and the accompanying stress that sometimes provides a wake up call - hey, maybe we won't live forever? - we decided to splurge for our 35th anniversary instead of going out to dinner. We celebrated the 31st on the Ryndam four years ago, an April transatlantic also out of Tampa, gone a month altogether. We have relatives in the Tampa area, so can visit before or after.

Raylene did so well in December that I have a lot more confidence about this trip. Does anyone remember where Holland America puts "The Box"? We booked lower promenade deck which we liked last time, and I am hoping it will be around there somewhere.

So now I'll need to get organized and investigate the countries' requirements (Honduras, Guatemala and Mexico) in case we want to get off (not that I care - I just love being on a ship!) First port is Key West. Any input is welcome.

Congratulations, that sounds wonderful. Not as wonderful as going onboard the Golden Princess on April 6th for 10 days. We could sail together, how about it? You said you don't care so, why not?

The last time we were onboard HAL the potty box was on the Promenade Deck toward the front of the ship. I must say, I didn't like it. They were always washing down the deck so when I'd go there early in the morning, it was ALWAYS slippery.

On our next HAL cruise we got a suite and they put the box on our patio.....loved that!

You might want to ask if they can place it on your patio, if you have one.

They can also put it in a crew work closet near your cabin, just ask!

I like HAL they're always very nice and try to make you happy.

That's great! I liked the Tampa port, sailed the Legend out of there. And that's one of my favorite sayings, "I don't have cruise control. They just sort of book themselves."

Have fun!

Congratulations, that sounds wonderful. Not as wonderful as going onboard the Golden Princess on April 6th for 10 days. We could sail together, how about it? You said you don't care so, why not?

The last time we were onboard HAL the potty box was on the Promenade Deck toward the front of the ship. I must say, I didn't like it. They were always washing down the deck so when I'd go there early in the morning, it was ALWAYS slippery.

On our next HAL cruise we got a suite and they put the box on our patio.....loved that!

You might want to ask if they can place it on your patio, if you have one.

They can also put it in a crew work closet near your cabin, just ask!

I like HAL they're always very nice and try to make you happy.

Roz,

I was wondering why they just don't put the box on your balcony, if you have one? Wouldn't that make more sense? I thought I read somewhere that they wouldn't do that for sanitary reasons. As long as you keep it clean and the steward can change out the filler, if necessary, why would there be a problem?:confused:

Cindra

Thanks Roz! I think you covered it all. My wonderful son found me a cruise critic app that i can use on my phone! Yeahhhhhh. Its much better so far. This is my first post so we will see how it goes. Fingers crossed :eek:

Sent from my SCH-S738C using Forums mobile app