Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

Well, I'm home from my long trip that went by too fast! The last several days of my trip were spent where my trainer lives so I could spend some time with my puppy in training. It was wonderful! And boy has she grown!! She is seven months old and nearly as tall as my current service dog (who is now starting the retiring process). Interestingly, her black color has a brownish tint to it compared with the black on my current service dog, but you really only notice it if they are right near each other or if my puppy is in a sunbeam. I have decided that I will get her mobility harness made in black leather (as opposed to off-white and tan like my current service dog's harness, or any other brown shade they are made in).

I got to work with my puppy on basic commands and a few tasks, plus joined my trainer and her in public. I got to have a good, long snuggle with my puppy on my last day, too.

It was a good trip, but bittersweet knowing it was my current service dog's last one. She showed me on the trip that she is ready to retire now, though. I love this girl and really wished dogs' lives were a lot longer!!!!

Quam, will you be able to keep your retired girl with you or she live in a retirement home with other senior dogs?

A cell phone photo for your viewing pleasure. :D

Beautiful dogs!

I wish CCI would open up their breeding program to more allergy resistant dogs, other than Labs. They're amazing dogs but their hair is insidious for allergies. Lab hair can find it's way into places that will shock and surprise you!!!! :eek:

Oh, and when I had a layover in the Atlanta airport, I used their service dog potty van service. I would definitely not recommend it if you have a short layover, as it took twenty minutes just for the van driver to come to the gate of my inbound flight and then it was a long drive to the potty area (just some grass on the side of the road), but the plus is he drives you right to your outgoing flight gate! There are elevators or stairs to use, depending on your abilities, and I needed the elevators. The vehicle was a regular van, and I don't believe there was a wheelchair lift/ramp in the back (but I could be wrong, since I didn't go behind the vehicle). It also really needed a good vacuuming of all the dog fur on the floor (so gross!). The driver was nice and helped with my carry-ons, which was nice.

If you want to use the service, I recommend you ask one of the guys who push airport wheelchairs for passengers. They will make a phone call. I don't know if you can talk to someone in advance to request it or not, as doing that might eliminate the long wait for the van. The airline must give him a list of all service dogs (and possibly emotional support dogs) and their flight information, as he had a long list print-out that included my name and gate info. I had to sign something before he took us out. We went out through a gate door and onto the elevator just inside of said door. When we got off the elevator, we went outside onto the tarmac where the van was parked a few steps away. It was pretty interesting driving on the tarmac, dodging planes and luggage vehicles and other stuff! When we got to my outbound gate (actually, a gate a few gates away due to there only being an elevator at certain gates - if you can do stairs, you can do any gate), we went inside to an elevator and exited through a gate door into the terminal. He would have walked me to my gate, but I needed to make a pit stop of my own, so said goodbye to him near the bathrooms. I did be sure to give him a tip!

So, it does take a while (not something for those quick 45-minute layovers), but you don't have to go on the trains between terminals or walk between far gates, so that's a big plus!

Thanks for the Atlanta/Service Dog info.

Goodness me, is it a year already? She has truly left a wonderful legacy and she will never know just how much she influenced lives across the world.

So rest in peace dear Brenda Elizabeth, yours are very big paw prints to follow. :). Big Cyber Hugs to you Roz.

Thank you so much, yes, Brenda was our trailblazer......This is BRENDA'S WORLD!!!!

I look at the beautiful painting that Trudy made of her, as it sits on a table in my dining room. Thank you Trudy!

I kind of feel like I knew her. I'm still at the under 100 mark on the beginning posts, but your love for her shines through. I hope she is running and playing as I truly do believe there is a heaven for dogs. Hugs to you.

Thank you! She truly started it all......my dear girl!

Roz, thank you for sharing your dear Brenda Elizabeth with all of us! Eating lunch at my desk as I read this thread and cannot keep back the tears. She has been a true inspiration for all of us!

Thanks!

Beckie

Beckie, thank you so much. Isn't it sweet how a little Black Lab can touch so many people's lives. She truly made a difference in her life.

Sunday, was the one year anniversary for my Brenda. I can't believe it. I loved her so much and miss her every day! She was truly my hero and I'll love her forever. I still have video's of her walking to the potty box onboard one of our cruises. She was brilliantly smart. She only had to be shown something one time and the next time, I could take off her leash and ask her to go and I could follow behind as she would lead the way!

She taught me so much about patience and love. About being kind, gentle and giving!

Thank you Brenda Elizabeth for being in my life for helping me to start this thread so that others could enjoy cruising as much as you did!!!! Brenda's my avatar!

Thank you to Brenda Elizabeth for leading the way for us all.

Dianne

Nothing but tears from me! Since my middle name is Elizabeth, just like Ms. Brenny, I feel a very close bond with a girl I never met, but her mom brought her to us in a way, that I forgot that I never met her in pawson!

I talked about you all the time to her.....Nancy Elizabeth......she knew you! ♥

Roz - what can I say - you and Brenda have introduced so many of us to a world we did not now was out there...thank you both for starting this thread.

Keith

Keith, you are so welcome, amazing what dogs can teach us! I love every story all of you share with us about your cruising with your Service Dogs. Thank you! ♥

Well, Pedro and I had our vet visit for the certification today... Is it appropriate to mention chickens with their heads cut off in a vet's office...? I made sure we got there nice and early, in case of traffic. Remember yesterday, the vet office called to change the time of the appointment? Well, today they said I was supposed to have been there at the original time. They thought we were no shows! I chimed in about the call I got changing the appointment and the very same girl said, "Oh, that was me. I guess I didn't refresh the computer." She apologized and we waited to see the dr. He also mentioned the appointment time, but said he believed me after I explained everything. Also, he didn't realize that this visit was for the certificate, as no one informed him...until I did. Then the real fun began. The girl in charge of the certification paperwork left, also thinking we were not coming. They tried calling her to track her down, but couldn't. So, another tech and the vet had to find the form, fill it out on the computer and double check the requirements. I had the port requirements with me, but the vet found another...Aruba needed certification that the dog has lived in the US for the last six months continuously. We did find a box on the form for this information. Pedro didn't tolerate the booster shot very well this time as he let out a big yelp. He actually growled at the vet at one point. I made sure to ask again about the flea and tick treatment, as I wanted him to have some protection in the tropics. Once I had the meds and records in hand, I went to check out. They had the charges all screwed up. As I was given an estimate prior to the visit, I questioned the amount. Then the vet came rushing out to let the girl at the desk know that the computer counted one vaccination as two, so he corrected that...and the re-exam cost, which is less. The total came down over $30. The office is not normally that crazy. I guess they were just having a bad day. After that experience, I took Pedro down the street for the best frozen custard in the area. That's one of the perks of going to the vet...soft ice cream! Pedro loves it too. He always wants mine...and of course I give in...so this time, I got him a small cup of his own. He was feeling blah and at first ignored it. But once he saw me eating mine, he gave his a lick. He ate some of it, but then looked up at me as if to say, "Thank you, but I am not feeling so hot..." So, I brought him home. He didn't eat his dinner tonight, and dragged around the house...just like last time. I'm sure he will be back to normal in a day or so.

Tomorrow, is my trek up to the USDA office. Do I have to show them proof of my travel documents? Is the certificate supposed to note that he is a service dog? I'm bringing his records with me, just in case. Let's hope that office has their act together.

Cindra

Just a point of information (for Cindra for future reference), did you know you can type info into the form 7001 yourself, print it out and take it to the vet? The USDA has a PDF online you can save to yor own computer, with fill-in blanks.

Saves time since the USDA certified vet just checks the info (vaccine number etc) against the records you bring, then signs the form.

Just a point of information (for Cindra for future reference), did you know you can type info into the form 7001 yourself, print it out and take it to the vet? The USDA has a PDF online you can save to yor own computer, with fill-in blanks.

Saves time since the USDA certified vet just checks the info (vaccine number etc) against the records you bring, then signs the form.

I actually did download the form and had it with me, but they said they it would be easier for them to do it on their computer and just print it out.

Question... How many copies of the certificate should I bring with me, and do I ever have to hand over the original to anyone, or should I keep it for myself?

Cindra

I guess they were just having a bad day. After that experience, I took Pedro down the street for the best frozen custard in the area. That's one of the perks of going to the vet...soft ice cream! Pedro loves it too. He always wants mine...and of course I give in...so this time, I got him a small cup of his own. He was feeling blah and at first ignored it. But once he saw me eating mine, he gave his a lick. He ate some of it, but then looked up at me as if to say, "Thank you, but I am not feeling so hot..." So, I brought him home. He didn't eat his dinner tonight, and dragged around the house...just like last time. I'm sure he will be back to normal in a day or so.

Cindra

i had to laugh at this - Lucy's favorite car trip is to Brewsters for a doggie sundae - a small cup of vanilla ice cream with a doggy bone in it - and best of all they give them out free!

After that experience, I took Pedro down the street for the best frozen custard in the area. That's one of the perks of going to the vet...soft ice cream! Pedro loves it too. He always wants mine...and of course I give in...so this time, I got him a small cup of his own.

Cindra

You are probably already aware of this, but just in case since this is your first cruise with a service dog...when you are on board ship, you should never give the dog any "people food" in public venues.

I am new to this, also, but in my experience on Celebrity and Holland America (my next cruise in April), issues like that are covered in the form you sign. I've never been on Princess, but would guess it's also a no-no along with the dog being anywhere but the floor (not on furniture in lounges, dining room, on pool furniture, etc.) Others who have cruised Princess, feel free to chime in.

Pedro sounds like a small dog, which other passengers will interpret as not a "real" service dog (even though we all know many small dogs perform specific tasks to assist people with disabilities.) You have said you plan to have fun with dressing him up a bit, and other people inevitably will be watching you. They will notice if he is begging for ice cream on board and you give in, for example. You don't want to give the cruiseline a reason to ask you to leave the ship. (And violating their policies or getting complaints from other passengers, of course, makes it harder for the next dog team on board.)

Meanwhile, good luck with the last step in your paperwork. The certificate does not have a place to indicate service dog (it's irrelevant anyway, since all dogs have to be healthy to enter various countries, and the form is the proof.)

BUT by bringing your proof he is a service dog to the USDA office, you save their fee for stamping the form.

Hope all these tips help.

Question... How many copies of the certificate should I bring with me, and do I ever have to hand over the original to anyone, or should I keep it for myself?

Cindra

I hung on to the original and no one ever asked for it on Celebrity. Thought I might need it to re-enter the US (nope, they didn't even look at it in Ft. Lauderdale at immigration. Or look at the dog.)

I also brought many copies for each port’s officials that I never needed (now in the recycle bin!) Celebrity apparently made copies of my paperwork for each port.

Can't address any other cruise line, though.

Hi All!!!! We were so lucky to make it out Sunday. It was snowing when we left and we were nervous we wouldn't get out. They had to deice the plane which I wasn't thrilled with. We have been trying to check the weather. We wouldn't want to get stuck in Florida and not be able to get home!! ;) Talk to you soon.

Cindy

Well, Pedro and I had our vet visit for the certification today... Is it appropriate to mention chickens with their heads cut off in a vet's office...? I made sure we got there nice and early, in case of traffic. Remember yesterday, the vet office called to change the time of the appointment? Well, today they said I was supposed to have been there at the original time. They thought we were no shows! I chimed in about the call I got changing the appointment and the very same girl said, "Oh, that was me. I guess I didn't refresh the computer." She apologized and we waited to see the dr. He also mentioned the appointment time, but said he believed me after I explained everything. Also, he didn't realize that this visit was for the certificate, as no one informed him...until I did. Then the real fun began. The girl in charge of the certification paperwork left, also thinking we were not coming. They tried calling her to track her down, but couldn't. So, another tech and the vet had to find the form, fill it out on the computer and double check the requirements. I had the port requirements with me, but the vet found another...Aruba needed certification that the dog has lived in the US for the last six months continuously. We did find a box on the form for this information. Pedro didn't tolerate the booster shot very well this time as he let out a big yelp. He actually growled at the vet at one point. I made sure to ask again about the flea and tick treatment, as I wanted him to have some protection in the tropics. Once I had the meds and records in hand, I went to check out. They had the charges all screwed up. As I was given an estimate prior to the visit, I questioned the amount. Then the vet came rushing out to let the girl at the desk know that the computer counted one vaccination as two, so he corrected that...and the re-exam cost, which is less. The total came down over $30. The office is not normally that crazy. I guess they were just having a bad day. After that experience, I took Pedro down the street for the best frozen custard in the area. That's one of the perks of going to the vet...soft ice cream! Pedro loves it too. He always wants mine...and of course I give in...so this time, I got him a small cup of his own. He was feeling blah and at first ignored it. But once he saw me eating mine, he gave his a lick. He ate some of it, but then looked up at me as if to say, "Thank you, but I am not feeling so hot..." So, I brought him home. He didn't eat his dinner tonight, and dragged around the house...just like last time. I'm sure he will be back to normal in a day or so.

Tomorrow, is my trek up to the USDA office. Do I have to show them proof of my travel documents? Is the certificate supposed to note that he is a service dog? I'm bringing his records with me, just in case. Let's hope that office has their act together.

Cindra

Cindra, I don't have much patience for doctor's office's, be it Vet or people, who are so disjointed.

I'm looking at Horton's paperwork from our last cruise and it only states that he's a canine.

Getting all your ducks in a row will guarantee that yours and Pedro's cruise is a good one!

Roz,

If it wasn't for you and Brenda and many others on this site, I don't

know if I would have ever considered taking my daughter's service dog on a cruise. Thank you!!

If you hadn't found us, we would have NEVER met you and that would have been very sad for us! ♥

Edited by wizard-of-roz