Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

Unfortunately, I don't think San Pedro has a webcam. You'll have to give us a play-by-play here on CC so we can imagine it! ;):D

Marcia, why you'd have to go and spoil the fun for everyone!!!!! Sorry, guys but Marcia is correct.

I'll make him wave anyway!!!!! It'll be practice for when we venture down to Florida!

Edited by wizard-of-roz

DKD - how's Davis doing?

Have a great weekend everyone! :D

Davis is doing great. He is less than 3 months away from college.

We have grown very fond of this dopey dog. He will be missed.

But we just sent in our repeat puppy raiser application the other day.

Hopefully we will have another pup in the middle of June when we get

back from Disney World. The people that were going to take him if he didn't graduate backed out. But we have two or three other people that want him. So either way he will go to a great home.

A Portuguese Water Dog is the Working Group winner at the Westminster Dog Show. :)

You know how I feel about dogs......these shows encourage the wrong kind of caring as far as I'm concerned. My mind and heart always goes to the adorable and lonely dogs who sit in shelters looking for someone to love and adore them! Off my soapbox.

I wish ALL dogs could be loved and spoiled! If I had the land, I'd adopt them all and be known as the "crazy dog lady!"

Fairbourne, thank you for posting the pictures! I was watching from my desk at work and didn't rememeber which ship Pedro & Company were sailing on. So I totally missed their sail away. My co-workers now think I am totally nuts for watching in excitement to see somebody I have never met as they sail off on vacation. It can't be helped! I really hope they have a wonderful trip. (Can't wait to see all the photos of that canine superman in action!)

Thanks again!

Beckie

Marcia, why you'd have to go and spoil the fun for everyone!!!!! Sorry, guys but Marcia is correct.

I'll make him wave anyway!!!!! It'll be practice for when we venture down to Florida!

Roz, don't all the Princess ships have a live webcam on the bridge and in the wedding chapel? You could station yourself and Horton in one of those spots and we could watch that way. We are all for it!

Thanks!

Beckie

We're back!!! Nice to get away but nice to be home. We got in late last night and I just finished unpacking. Glad thats done.

Cruise was great! Everything went well. Except they left the potty box grass in a plastic bag in the middle of the box. Duh! Did they think it would jump out of the bag and spread itself out? So stupid me spreads it out herself. I was so dirty I had to go back and shower. Everything else was great. My son and his gf are the cutest thing on earth. They are so in love and get along great. I think she is terrific!! So sweet, always happy and tough when she needs to be. She is not afraid to say a few words to someone that is doing John wrong. Lol. I love it! She was also a great help. Fits right in with out craziness. And of course she loves Wex. And he loves her too!

Since we had to stay in Florida, we took a few cabs. Guy from the cruiseport to hotel was great. The rest of the cabbies sucked. Very rude and none of them wanted to take the dog, yet theres a sticker on the windiw that says they have to take service dogs. Geez its a wheelchair cab, some people must have had dogs. Luckily Steph let them know about the law. Lol

Glad to be back even with the tons of snow!

Cindy

Roz, don't all the Princess ships have a live webcam on the bridge and in the wedding chapel? You could station yourself and Horton in one of those spots and we could watch that way. We are all for it!

Thanks!

Beckie

Tell me where to go......I'll go and wave and do whatever you want me to do!

We're back!!! Nice to get away but nice to be home. We got in late last night and I just finished unpacking. Glad thats done.

Cruise was great! Everything went well. Except they left the potty box grass in a plastic bag in the middle of the box. Duh! Did they think it would jump out of the bag and spread itself out? So stupid me spreads it out herself. I was so dirty I had to go back and shower. Everything else was great. My son and his gf are the cutest thing on earth. They are so in love and get along great. I think she is terrific!! So sweet, always happy and tough when she needs to be. She is not afraid to say a few words to someone that is doing John wrong. Lol. I love it! She was also a great help. Fits right in with out craziness. And of course she loves Wex. And he loves her too!

Since we had to stay in Florida, we took a few cabs. Guy from the cruiseport to hotel was great. The rest of the cabbies sucked. Very rude and none of them wanted to take the dog, yet theres a sticker on the windiw that says they have to take service dogs. Geez its a wheelchair cab, some people must have had dogs. Luckily Steph let them know about the law. Lol

Glad to be back even with the tons of snow!

Cindy

Welcome home Cindy, John, Wexy and kids. I'm glad you had a good time.

I'm always leery when I go looking for the potty box and it's either; in the wrong place, size 2x2, filled with kitty litter or completely non-existent! First, I look for the cabin Steward, if he/she can't be found then I call the front desk and the fun begins!!!!

I'm glad your all home and safe.

Isn't it nice when our adult kids pick really nice girlfriends and boyfriends. She sounds like a doll!

Edited by wizard-of-roz

Davis is doing great. He is less than 3 months away from college.

We have grown very fond of this dopey dog. He will be missed.

But we just sent in our repeat puppy raiser application the other day.

Hopefully we will have another pup in the middle of June when we get

back from Disney World. The people that were going to take him if he didn't graduate backed out. But we have two or three other people that want him. So either way he will go to a great home.

"Dopey Dog!" So funny! I'm really sure that the trainers kept me waiting 3 more months because Horton ["Dopey Dog Extraordinaire"] just couldn't stop taking everyone's shoes and playing "keep away" with them.

Horton is an amazing Service Dog when he's on task......that said, just leave something laying around for him to steal [primarily shoes] and all bets are off. I have to think ahead of this boy or his mind goes to "play-time."

I'm glad he's mine and that CCI saw through the silliness! Hopefully, Davis will shine through too!!!

Since Valentine is so small I do travel with her in a rolling suitcase' date=' special for dogs, to keep her safe. She is small and people don't think to look down and one foot could break her little leg so even though we get the occasionaly laugh we will continue to ride this way. She doesn't help the laugh factor as she likes to ride standing up. I tell her she is surfing.! LOL[/color'].

Smooth Seas

We have two service animals, Timmy and Greta. Both are small, under 10 lbs each. I love the idea of having them in a rolling suitcase. Do you know if they make them larger enough for two small dogs to fit in one and what I would google or where I would go to look for one online?

We have two service animals, Timmy and Greta. Both are small, under 10 lbs each. I love the idea of having them in a rolling suitcase. Do you know if they make them larger enough for two small dogs to fit in one and what I would google or where I would go to look for one online?

Try Overstock dot com. In search I typed Pet carriers like rolling suticase. Sorry I am on my grandsons computer and not sure how to get a copied link into another post. Hope this helps.

Because Barbara taught us so much of how Valentine travels with them I became desensitized when I would see a [small] dog in a cart, onboard a cruise. I no longer judged them and thought they were "pets!" I learned to take them seriously, even though I couldn't help but smile when I'd see one!

Barbara taught us that it was a safer way to transport their valuable Service Dog, Valentine, rather than risk her being hurt by someone who wasn't expecting to see a small dog in the elevator.

Carrying the small dog in a "sling" type carrier [such as what is used for an infant] is also a great way to transport your small SD [that what's done for Pedro.] Such a great idea!

mynxr, I hope you find what you're looking for.

Edited by wizard-of-roz

Hi everyone!

Just checking in. It's been an interesting trip, so far. My BiPAP machine died the night before the cruise, so I'm using Bill's CPAP. Pedro is being an angel and almost everyone has fallen in love with him on board. Only one hitch, Pedro is not liking the wood chips in the potty box. He held his water...et al...until Aruba yesterday. I feel sorry for that palm tree... I pulled some grass from Aruba, and put it in the potty box, but even that didn't work. Talking to our cabin stewardess, she said she would ask if they would put some turf in it...and they did at last visit. Pedro laid right down on it. Silly boy. Found a beach resort in Aruba that is dog friendly...Reflextions...they even had a big metal water bowl for him. Taxis are dog friendly there too. No one looked or bothered with us from immigration in Aruba, but we were asked to carry copies of his focus with us. Next stop is Columbia tomorrow. They are being pains. Ship is keeping us informed of their requirements and are charging us an additional fee....$30, but not etched in stone yet...cash. Their local vet also has to examine him. Will let you know more on that tomorrow.

Everyone on board knows Pedro now. He is the only service dog on the ship for this cruise. My throat is getting scratchy from all of the times we have had to explain to people that he is indeed a service dog, even though he is small. I feel like we are educating the public this cruise. The veterans on board are anxious for Bill and Pedro to attend the vet get together to hear more about the work Pedro does.

Oh, the potty box is 2 decks down from us, in a crew area and out of the way...near the "super secret doors" for those who have traveled on this ship or the Island. I am so glad they put a piece of turf on the box now.

Sorry about the Port Everglades webcam shot. I was all ready and waiting, but we left late....and, I passed out from dehydration, so I spent sail away in the ships medical center. I'm ok now though.

Having fun...and Pedro is loving it!

Cindra

Hi everyone!

Just checking in. It's been an interesting trip, so far. My BiPAP machine died the night before the cruise, so I'm using Bill's CPAP. Pedro is being an angel and almost everyone has fallen in love with him on board. Only one hitch, Pedro is not liking the wood chips in the potty box. He held his water...et al...until Aruba yesterday. I feel sorry for that palm tree... I pulled some grass from Aruba, and put it in the potty box, but even that didn't work. Talking to our cabin stewardess, she said she would ask if they would put some turf in it...and they did at last visit. Pedro laid right down on it. Silly boy. Found a beach resort in Aruba that is dog friendly...Reflextions...they even had a big metal water bowl for him. Taxis are dog friendly there too. No one looked or bothered with us from immigration in Aruba, but we were asked to carry copies of his focus with us. Next stop is Columbia tomorrow. They are being pains. Ship is keeping us informed of their requirements and are charging us an additional fee....$30, but not etched in stone yet...cash. Their local vet also has to examine him. Will let you know more on that tomorrow.

Everyone on board knows Pedro now. He is the only service dog on the ship for this cruise. My throat is getting scratchy from all of the times we have had to explain to people that he is indeed a service dog, even though he is small. I feel like we are educating the public this cruise. The veterans on board are anxious for Bill and Pedro to attend the vet get together to hear more about the work Pedro does.

Oh, the potty box is 2 decks down from us, in a crew area and out of the way...near the "super secret doors" for those who have traveled on this ship or the Island. I am so glad they put a piece of turf on the box now.

Sorry about the Port Everglades webcam shot. I was all ready and waiting, but we left late....and, I passed out from dehydration, so I spent sail away in the ships medical center. I'm ok now though.

Having fun...and Pedro is loving it!

Cindra

You take such good care of Pedro, you forgot to take care of you.

Why didn't they place the potty box on your deck?

It was very nice of them to try and accommodate you by finding turf for him.

I'm thinking of bringing artificial turf with me on Horton's next cruise in April. I'll tightly roll it up and since I travel with a "granny cart" it will just be sitting in the corner of the cart and will be placed on the conveyor when going through immigration. It's pretty self explanatory! And, is easy to bring along when driving to the port. I wouldn't do this if I were flying.

Thanks for keeping us in the loop. Don't you feel like Pedro has "papparzzi following him with all the questions, etc. by other passengers?"

Ah yes Quam - thanks for clarifying the US time zones! It wouldn't do to get Aunty Roz all confussed now would it! LOL! ;)

And I'm glad your new girl is a cuddler .... :D

Just watched the news and they're saying Boston having snowiest month in the city's history! Yikes! Over 2000 flights cancelled ...they'd better stay in sunny Florida! :D

Nope, can't be confusing anyone, even Roz! I mean, especially Roz ... yeah, that's what I meant! ;) :p

I am glad my pup is a cuddler, too!!

I hear Florida is not too warm right now, either....

Adorable. My next Service Dog will definitely be some type of allergy resistant dog. I'll be too old to put up with all the suffering that my allergies cause from my amazingly, wonderful Lab.

But, I can NEVER see my life without a Service Dog in it.

A Poodle, perhaps? Mini or standard?

You know how I feel about dogs......these shows encourage the wrong kind of caring as far as I'm concerned. My mind and heart always goes to the adorable and lonely dogs who sit in shelters looking for someone to love and adore them! Off my soapbox.

I wish ALL dogs could be loved and spoiled! If I had the land, I'd adopt them all and be known as the "crazy dog lady!"

Show dogs aren't loved any less than other dogs. Show dogs are imperative for keeping every breed going correctly - you don't want to be breeding poorly-bred dogs to each other or you will ruin the offspring and cause major health problems and issues, which in turn will ruin the breed generation after generation. Good service dogs come from well-bred dogs, especially show dog champions.

Don't give in to the myth about shelter over-population, either. Shelter dogs (and cats) make good pets, but so do well-bred dogs. I get dogs from long lines of show champions as my service dogs (never use a backyard breeder or puppy mill - only hobby breeders who show and champion their dogs out of love for the breed and breed to better it!), but I also would do the same if I was just getting a pet.

Cruise was great! Everything went well. Except they left the potty box grass in a plastic bag in the middle of the box. Duh! Did they think it would jump out of the bag and spread itself out? So stupid me spreads it out herself. I was so dirty I had to go back and shower. Everything else was great.

Must've been that rare Mexican Jumping Grass!

[quote name=Quampapetet;4570139

I hear Florida is not too warm right now' date=' either....[/quote]

Well, it's finally warm today. We've been in South Florida for a few weeks in our tiny RV escaping the cold, (we thought.) Had some very frigid nights,even below freezing, but we've stayed warm and cozy.

Have been working at keeping up with all the black dog hair everywere inside. I keep laughing when thinking what Cindy said, that she and John joke they probably have hairballs from ingesting it, breathing it...it's EVERYWHERE.

I told Raylene this morning I might look into shaving her before our next RV trip. (She knew I was kidding.) Tomorrow we may take her to see the Manatees at Homosassa Springs.