Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

I love all the photos! Such sweet boys and girls.

Dog collars. Ha ha - I already have two and I don't have my dog yet. ;) Love the diamonte collar.

The organization I volunteer for makes Martingale collars to raise funds. I have two Disney ones. We are making a bunch of Disney Cruise ones right now.

I just got a sewing machine so I can learn to help make them. Gotta have styling dogs, right?

Thanks Fairbourne for the lovely invite.

The picture of Gretel is so cute....truth be known, she looks like a little imp. I see trouble!!!! ;) :p

Cindra, when Morey, Brenda and I went to Brazil, we met with an official who insisted that we had to pay him $60.00 as a Vet fee. I told him that I did not have the extra money and my parents had paid for the cruise. I sincerely apologized and told him I would have asked them for the "vet fee" but no one told me in advance!!!!

He said something to the woman who was with him, tapped Brenda on the head, signed the necessary documentation and we were cleared!

Don't even get me started on the "fees" that are asked for [in cash] to pay the "Vets" or other "officials" who come onboard to examine your dog.

We once had an immigration officer in another foreign port who took Brenda's leash [while it was attached to my wrist] and try to walk away with her, I wouldn't let go of her.......I was told to let go of the leash and I refused. I was new at traveling with her and I remember CCI warning us to NOTU] let anyone separate us from our dog. And, that in some foreign countries Service Dogs were a hot commodity. I started to cry as I put my arms around her and they shuffled her and me off to another room. The officer put her up on a table, with her still attached to me, and he continued to exam her paws and run his hands down her body. Morey came into the room and shortly after we were cleared to leave. I was scared to death. Brenda stayed calm, as these dogs are trained to do, while I fell apart on the plane ride home!!!!

No one will ever be allowed to whisk me off or away from my dog again. And, no one had better ask me for money to pay them off!!!! I know that sometimes it's just easier to pay the money but there's no legitimate reason for them to ask for it, except when they think they can make some extra cash from "rich American's!" If they insist and won't let me go.......I will NOT visit their port and will stay onboard with my dog.

Edited by wizard-of-roz

Quote: Wasn't it a fabulous affair! One day I'm going to give them one day's notice and I'm going to drop in on them! I'm going to pick myself up and go to Scotland. I'll grab Cindy on the way!

Roz, if you are going to grab Cindy on the way to Scotland would you please stop in Kansas City first and grab me too? I would love to go. :)

Beckie

Quote: Wasn't it a fabulous affair! One day I'm going to give them one day's notice and I'm going to drop in on them! I'm going to pick myself up and go to Scotland. I'll grab Cindy on the way!

Roz, if you are going to grab Cindy on the way to Scotland would you please stop in Kansas City first and grab me too? I would love to go. :)

Beckie

Okay, is that Kansas City, Kansas or Kansas City, Missouri?

I better start a "wish list" of folks who want to go with me to visit Fairbourne and her Downton Abbey lifestyle.

Beckie

Me, too - Me, too! I've never been to Scotland! (Us two, too - I should say, because Raylene needs to go meet Aruba.) From California to KC to North Carolina... it's all on the way to Scotland.

(OK, not really on the way.)

Me, too - Me, too! I've never been to Scotland! (Us two, too - I should say, because Raylene needs to go meet Aruba.) From California to KC to North Carolina... it's all on the way to Scotland.

(OK, not really on the way.)

Well, it looks like this is getting bigger and bigger. What shall we do?

We've got:

Beckie [what about Diana & Gibson?]

Chris & Raylene

Roz & Horton

Stopping at Cindy's [she hasn't even said yes yet], I suppose John and Wexie will want to go too, this is getting huge.

I'll just keep collecting interested parties and we'll get all the details ironed out later! ;)

Edited by wizard-of-roz

We did have to meet with the local vet in Colombia. Actually, he came on board with the other officials, looked at Pedro for about a minute. Then, he spent the next 30 minutes filling out an official document. It was all in Spanish, so I have no idea what it said. We did have to pay $30 in cash to the Colombian officials. Not sure if it was the vet fee or for something else. In port, on our tour, Pedro was treated very well by the tour guides and the jewelry making school. They even got him a dish of water. The only dog we encountered there was a police dog at the shopping area of the pier, who looked at Pedro and walked on. No strays in sight.

We did have a few strays around us at an open air beach restaurant in Costa Rica, but they didn't bother Pedro. They were just looking for food. Bill kept Pedro in the sling, just in case.

At the last minute in Panama, our friend wanted to do a land tour with Bill. We hadn't planned to get off the ship, so the ship's rep didn't get Pedro cleared. I stayed on board with him while the men went on tour. That is when the drink incident happened, and also when that annoying man was bothering us. It all worked out in the end.

The security staff didn't have their act together in Costa Rica or Jamaica...and we had to correct them, but that was minor. All in all, things went smoothly...but next time, we may bring a square of sod with us.

Glad we planned to stay in Florida another week. The weather at home is going to be nasty this week. I can't wait till we can call Florida home.

Cindra

Hi Cindra,

In Colombia did you take a ship tour or private tour?

Dianne

Well, it looks like this is getting bigger and bigger. What shall we do?

We've got:

Beckie [what about Diana & Gibson?]

Chris & Raylene

Roz & Horton

Stopping at Cindy's [she hasn't even said yes yet], I suppose John and Wexie will want to go too, this is getting huge.

I'll just keep collecting interested parties and we'll get all the details ironed out later! ;)

Me too - maybe I will have my service dog by then - still on the waiting list - sigh.

Dianne

Me too - maybe I will have my service dog by then - still on the waiting list - sigh.

Dianne

Can us lukers without service dogs go along and see Aruba and Fairbourne?

Thanks for the pictures Fairbourne and Happy belated birthday to Aruba. Susan

At the last minute in Panama, our friend wanted to do a land tour with Bill. We hadn't planned to get off the ship, so the ship's rep didn't get Pedro cleared. I stayed on board with him while the men went on tour. That is when the drink incident happened, and also when that annoying man was bothering us. It all worked out in the end.

The security staff didn't have their act together in Costa Rica or Jamaica...and we had to correct them, but that was minor. All in all, things went smoothly...but next time, we may bring a square of sod with us.

Ah, gotcha. I was trying to figure out why I got confused and thought it was your husband's! Just remember that the dog doesn't have access in public when not with your husband - it might be different on a cruise ship due to the circumstances, but in the States only your husband has the right to have the dog with him.

Which security staff do you mean and what was the issue?

I would recommend artificial K-9 grass, as you could get into issues trying to bring live plants onboard the ship.

I love all the photos! Such sweet boys and girls.

Dog collars. Ha ha - I already have two and I don't have my dog yet. ;) Love the diamonte collar.

The organization I volunteer for makes Martingale collars to raise funds. I have two Disney ones. We are making a bunch of Disney Cruise ones right now.

I just got a sewing machine so I can learn to help make them. Gotta have styling dogs, right?

Caution: dog collars are addictive!!! I can't even begin to count how many my girl has had over the years! :o Nothing will be different with my new puppy, either! ;)

If you don't want to be an addict, stay off Etsy and online pet shops like Muttropolis!!

So weird, couldn't quote a post, but if you guys think you are going to Scotland to meet Aruba and family without me, service dog or not, you have another think coming! Since I am furtherest, deep southern

California, I will even drive to Roz's. Make room, the Middle sis is a comin to town! Then off to the UK! Can't wait,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Morning everyone - oh my that's too funny but simply marvellous that you ALL want to come and visit!

Well, ok one of us needs to win the lottery and then we can charter one of those mega yachts to take eveyone over!

Now wouldn't that be something! :D:D:D

Anyone know Simon Cowell??? LOL!!! Or Donald Trump??? of course Mr Trump has his own aircraft which regularly flies him over to Scotland - he has a golf course and very nice hotel not too far from us here, so he visits frequently. And his grandmother, I think, was Scottish.

We saw him once when we went for lunch - not to speak to of course, but if we ever see him again, I'll ask him! ;):eek: LOL!

I can just imagine you all stepping off the aircraft at the airport - what a procession that would be with Aunty Roz and Horton Jeffrey leading the way!

Thank you all for Aruba's birthday wishes. :)

Caution: dog collars are addictive!!!

If you don't want to be an addict, stay off Etsy and online pet shops like Muttropolis!!

LOL - true. That's why I am learning to sew them. Now it's that I have to stay away from Etsy with all the cute ribbon!

We have four styles of Disney Cruise line ribbon, plus a whole lot of Disney themed ribbon. Plus other stuff that is just cute. For example I found the cutest ribbon that is Monopoly (the game) themed. My future dog will probably have a ton of collars.... :rolleyes:

As I said, right now he/she has two and they aren't even here yet.

Ah, Dianne, I feel your pain. I'm still waiting. Probably easier for me as I volunteer with the organization so I get to see dogs every weekend. Hard to not do the "wonder if that one will be mine?" thoughts. But I get to see them and work with them, so that makes waiting easier. I hope you get your partner soon!

Caution: dog collars are addictive!!! I can't even begin to count how many my girl has had over the years! :o Nothing will be different with my new puppy, either! ;)

my wife bought one for Lucy on the internet with 'Lucy" and my cell # stitched on...it looks really nice actually. I guess it ought to for $40 or so...

Edited by alexspepa

Can us lukers without service dogs go along and see Aruba and Fairbourne?

Thanks for the pictures Fairbourne and Happy belated birthday to Aruba. Susan

Yes, Susan, lurkers will add to the overall merriment on this imaginary(-but-you-never-know) journey to Scotland!

I do see possibilities in our newly-established connection to Donald Trump. We could all share hairspray tips on the flight (or yacht journey) over the pond.

Okay, is that Kansas City, Kansas or Kansas City, Missouri?

I better start a "wish list" of folks who want to go with me to visit Fairbourne and her Downton Abbey lifestyle.

Kansas City, Missouri is where our airport is. I live an hour from there in the burbs. Definitely, you need a list for all of us who want to go with you to see Fairbourne. We would be a lively group!

Beckie

LOL - true. That's why I am learning to sew them. Now it's that I have to stay away from Etsy with all the cute ribbon!

We have four styles of Disney Cruise line ribbon, plus a whole lot of Disney themed ribbon. Plus other stuff that is just cute. For example I found the cutest ribbon that is Monopoly (the game) themed. My future dog will probably have a ton of collars.... :rolleyes:

As I said, right now he/she has two and they aren't even here yet.

Ah, Dianne, I feel your pain. I'm still waiting. Probably easier for me as I volunteer with the organization so I get to see dogs every weekend. Hard to not do the "wonder if that one will be mine?" thoughts. But I get to see them and work with them, so that makes waiting easier. I hope you get your partner soon!

Thanks - I hope you get your partner soon too!

Kansas City, Missouri is where our airport is. I live an hour from there in the burbs. Definitely, you need a list for all of us who want to go with you to see Fairbourne. We would be a lively group!

Beckie

Beckie, If only we really could.....I'd love, love it!!!! I'm still working full-time and not until I stop will I be able to plan such a trip [two weeks at a time is all I can do while working] and two weeks would never be enough for that trip!!! There's so much to see and do.

We can dream and talk about it though! ;)

Thanks - I hope you get your partner soon too!

You guys, I know what you're feeling. It's nerve wracking to wait. I've been there -twice. But, the wait is so worth it and then you'll wonder, "where did the time go!?

In the meantime practice on walking, bending, throwing a ball; go buy lots of toys. Brenda loved tennis balls and went through them like they were peanuts.......not Horty, he could care less about the balls.....give him a squeaky toy that he can throw and wrestle with.....I always buy him a few new one's when we go on a cruise to keep him busy and engaged!

It doesn't take him long and he's got various parts of it chewed off and the stuffing out......now I buy the toys without the stuffing but lots of squeakies.......he's such a character!!!!

Ah, gotcha. I was trying to figure out why I got confused and thought it was your husband's! Just remember that the dog doesn't have access in public when not with your husband - it might be different on a cruise ship due to the circumstances, but in the States only your husband has the right to have the dog with him.

Which security staff do you mean and what was the issue?

I would recommend artificial K-9 grass, as you could get into issues trying to bring live plants onboard the ship.

The security people I was referring to are the ones who scan your cruise card whenever you get on and off the ship. Toward the end of the cruise, the info in their scanners was not current. In Costa Rica when we scanned out, they stopped us and said the dog was not allowed off the ship in Panama. I looked at her and said, "Yes, but this is Costa Rica..." Then she let us go. In Jamaica, my husband stayed on board with the dog, as he was not permitted to enter Jamaica. When security scanned my card, she stopped me again and said, "The dog is not allowed off the ship." I looked at her and said, "Do you see a dog?" I guess I was tired...or tired of the misinformation. I wasn't nasty, just being honest.