Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

I'm going to keep writing until I hear a distant fizzle.

As long as you guys can see me I'm alive, I'm alive.

And, DKD......Why is it ALWAYS my fault?

I'm so grateful that we have a whole separate IT Dept. here at work. I'm such a moron when it comes to IT "stuff!"

You should have heard me with Time Warner Cable when I was home this past weekend. I couldn't figure out my WiFi. He was asking me to push things I've never even heard of and didn't know where they were located, then he wanted to know if I had a "wireless router".......I DON'T KNOW! What the heck is a router?

I swear I could hear him laughing, as he muffled his hand over the phone. [Do you think he was talking into a phone that he could put his hand over?] Oh! I don't know. Just fix the thing so I can write to my friends over the internet.....What's my log on name, what's my password????? I don't know......He reset everything and told me to write it all down as he was speaking to me......Here's the best part.....He was from a foreign country and I could hardly understand what he was saying.....I kept asking him to repeat it over and over......Poor Horton, he left his bed and went into the bedroom for some peace and quiet, but not before he gave me a doggie-dirty-look!!! :rolleyes:

I'm so grateful that we have a whole separate IT Dept. here at work. I'm such a moron when it comes to IT "stuff!"

You should have heard me with Time Warner Cable when I was home this past weekend. I couldn't figure out my WiFi. He was asking me to push things I've never even heard of and didn't know where they were located, then he wanted to know if I had a "wireless router".......I DON'T KNOW! What the heck is a router?

I swear I could hear him laughing, as he muffled his hand over the phone. [Do you think he was talking into a phone that he could put his hand over?] Oh! I don't know. Just fix the thing so I can write to my friends over the internet.....What's my log on name, what's my password????? I don't know......He reset everything and told me to write it all down as he was speaking to me......Here's the best part.....He was from a foreign country and I could hardly understand what he was saying.....I kept asking him to repeat it over and over......Poor Horton, he left his bed and went into the bedroom for some peace and quiet, but not before he gave me a doggie-dirty-look!!!

I guess this is the new way to quote Roz. Who's fault would you like it to be dear Roz?? But you did have me laughing!!

I swear I could hear him laughing, as he muffled his hand over the phone. [Do you think he was talking into a phone that he could put his hand over?] Oh! I don't know. Just fix the thing so I can write to my friends over the internet.....What's my log on name, what's my password????? I don't know......He reset everything and told me to write it all down as he was speaking to me......Here's the best part.....He was from a foreign country and I could hardly understand what he was saying.....I kept asking him to repeat it over and over......Poor Horton, he left his bed and went into the bedroom for some peace and quiet, but not before he gave me a doggie-dirty-look!!!

I guess this is the new way to quote Roz. Who's fault would you like it to be dear Roz?? But you did have me laughing!!

"Fault?" Why, someone else's, of course. Certainly not mine. I'm just sitting here minding my own business when along comes "router's", "wires", "icons", "passwords", "hookups", "cybers", "clouds", "log-off's", "start-ups", "refresh", "shut-downs", push this, tap that and God only knows whatever else he was talking about!

Just get a quarter, go to the corner and use the pay phone at the gas station......I get 3 minutes to talk "words" to you and then I have to drop in another quarter......easy, peasy! Or, pick up my home phone, call you and wait for the bill in 30 days. That's what I used to do and you want me to get used to all this new "mumbo-jumbo" that just complicates our world all to heck!!!!

In less than 20 days Horton and I will be on a cruise ship. I'm taking along my Kindle and I-Pad......okay, if I get into trouble I'll go into the Internet Café and scream for help!!!!!

Edited by wizard-of-roz

Hi and Happy's Day.

Yes I am here, don't know where the time goes to. I have been busy, doing what?????? The time sure does fly.🏄 I have peeked here a couple of times. Hope everyone is doing great and the fur babies too. I didn't get to read all the news. The summer has gone so fast, we are getting ready to head to Homosassa soon. I don't remember if I told you I had a great Art Show. In February's won three ribbons. That sure made me happy.

Just wanted to say hi and I think of,all of you often. I just don't find the time to get on here lately. Pepper,my dog,is coming along nicely but she is a lot of work, much more then I remembered about having a young dog. She does give us a laugh or two every day.

Take care everyone.

Hi and Happy's Day.

Yes I am here, don't know where the time goes to. I have been busy, doing what?????? The time sure does fly. I have peeked here a couple of times. Hope everyone is doing great and the fur babies too. I didn't get to read all the news. The summer has gone so fast, we are getting ready to head to Homosassa soon. I don't remember if I told you I had a great Art Show. In February's won three ribbons. That sure made me happy.

Just wanted to say hi and I think of,all of you often. I just don't find the time to get on here lately. Pepper,my dog,is coming along nicely but she is a lot of work, much more then I remembered about having a young dog. She does give us a laugh or two every day.

Take care everyone.

Trudy, I'm so glad you're okay and enjoying the antics of Pepper. Don't worry sometimes that puppy-hood doesn't go away for a very long time. Horton grabbed my headband off my lap last night and started running around the house with it, with me chasing him. He thought he was so funny........goober!!!

Congratulations on winning the ribbons at your Art Show. I'm not a bit surprised. I still adore the painting you did of my beloved Brenda.

Take care and come over every once in a while to let us know how you're doing.

CruiseMom87, please, please, please make sure you follow up with Carnival when you get on board and make sure that EVERYONE knows you have the dog with you. We had our paperwork in order and did what we were supposed to do. We were denied boarding on the bus to Atlantis because "we" did not inform the transportation dept that we were taking the dog with us. (We did not have a problem the previous day in Freeport). Carnival dropped the ball with us. Our party ended up splitting up until we got the mess straightened out and had to take a cab back and forth to Atlantis. It really put a damper on the day and wasted a lot of time to get it sorted out.

CruiseMom87, please, please, please make sure you follow up with Carnival when you get on board and make sure that EVERYONE knows you have the dog with you. We had our paperwork in order and did what we were supposed to do. We were denied boarding on the bus to Atlantis because "we" did not inform the transportation dept that we were taking the dog with us. (We did not have a problem the previous day in Freeport). Carnival dropped the ball with us. Our party ended up splitting up until we got the mess straightened out and had to take a cab back and forth to Atlantis. It really put a damper on the day and wasted a lot of time to get it sorted out.

We who walk or wheel with a Service Dog have to ALWAYS think ahead and be 10 paws ahead of everyone else.

It's a huge learning experience; traveling in different venues with our heroes. But, once we know who to talk to and what can be expected to be done......it's easy, peasy!!!!

We who walk or wheel with a Service Dog have to ALWAYS think ahead and be 10 paws ahead of everyone else.

It's a huge learning experience; traveling in different venues with our heroes. But, once we know who to talk to and what can be expected to be done......it's easy, peasy!!!!

10 Paws - I love it! Will remember that one!

So, I'm in Costco on Wednesday night and a man standing next to me [with a walker] drops his cell phone. I could see he was struggling to bend down and pick it up.

"Mighty Dog is on the way, Mighty Dog will save the day!"

I got Horton's attention and walked him over to the cell phone and gave him the command "get"; he surveyed the area [like a death defying scope] honed in on the dropped phone and proceeded to do his job. [Horton has to survey, sniff, and scope-out the area and the object first [it's just his way of doing things, he's not a good "random" getter!] He picked up the phone and faced me, holding it ever so gently in his mouth. I reminded him to {"hold"] - Sometimes he'll get an object and then promptly drop it, because he doesn't like the feel or taste of it.

We had gathered a small crowd of folks who just wanted to watch a Service Dog in action. I took the phone, and gave Horton more than ample praise for a truly well-done job. The audience applauded. And, right on "que" Horton did one of his bows. It was so cute!

The man thanked me profusely and said that he had just been diagnosed with MS at the end of December and he was getting worse and worse at holding on to things. I gave him a small pamphlet, that I carry in my purse, for CCI and told him to call them. I told him that he, too, could have a helper like Horton in his own life! He gave me and Horton a big hug!

I hope he calls them. Mighty Horton made me so proud in helping another human!

Oh look...it's the first day of spring and it's F'ing snowing!! :mad::mad:

What the heck!? Sorry, go outside and make a snow angel! It's 78 here in L.A. I wouldn't mind seeing a little snow. Noticed, I did say a "little!" If I wanted more I'd move to the east coast - NO THANK YOU!!!!I'm too much of a coward to put up with your weather!

OK, I'm going to attempt to post a pic from the cruise. If this doesn't work, maybe one of you could post some pointers for me....and I don't mean the dog breed. ;)

s_ccmpg=cjcmpg#state=%7B%22pl%22%3A%7B%22uc%22%3A2%2C%22aid%22%3A9072114015%2C%22pid%22%3A451804345015%2C%22pidx%22%3A8%2C%22vp%22%3A%22s%22%2C%22ss%22%3A%22800%22%2C%22sb%22%3A%221%22%7D%2C%22ovm%22%3A%7B%22v%22%3A%22s%22%7D%7D

Crossing my fingers... Crap! What did I do wrong?

Cindra

Edited by tvaud

By the way, it's been snowing here in Philadelphia all day too. And, as of 6:45pm, give or take a few minutes...it is officially Spring! I'm hoping that the rain will wash the snow away, so I don't have to go out and shovel. It's supposed to be 50 here tomorrow, so hopefully, it will all melt away.

Now that we are officially in the cruise blues phase, I am looking to book another one....but nothing is really jumping out and biting me. The 14 day on the Ocean Princess looks fabulous at Christmas time, but at this point, we are not sure if Bill will be able to get away then. Hmmm...what to do?

Any suggestions?

The man thanked me profusely and said that he had just been diagnosed with MS at the end of December and he was getting worse and worse at holding on to things. I gave him a small pamphlet, that I carry in my purse, for CCI and told him to call them. I told him that he, too, could have a helper like Horton in his own life! He gave me and Horton a big hug!

ROZ

What a great story Roz. Horton the hero.

Dianne

So, I'm in Costco on Wednesday night and a man standing next to me [with a walker] drops his cell phone. I could see he was struggling to bend down and pick it up.

"Mighty Dog is on the way, Mighty Dog will save the day!"

I got Horton's attention and walked him over to the cell phone and gave him the command "get"; he surveyed the area [like a death defying scope] honed in on the dropped phone and proceeded to do his job. [Horton has to survey, sniff, and scope-out the area and the object first [it's just his way of doing things, he's not a good "random" getter!] He picked up the phone and faced me, holding it ever so gently in his mouth. I reminded him to {"hold"] - Sometimes he'll get an object and then promptly drop it, because he doesn't like the feel or taste of it.

We had gathered a small crowd of folks who just wanted to watch a Service Dog in action. I took the phone, and gave Horton more than ample praise for a truly well-done job. The audience applauded. And, right on "que" Horton did one of his bows. It was so cute!

note to self...do not attempt to play online poker while reading this thread. I am pretty sure i just folded the winning hand because the cards were blurry.

Not sure yet. They have had two dogs in mind, who just need their final training. However, there MAY be a catch as I MIGHT need cervical spine surgery.

I have fallen in love with one of the 13 month old dogs and he likes me. So if I get him, it'd be a little later as he needs to be trained a lot more.

So basically between the next three months and ten months...I think. :)

Sorry to hear that you might need surgery! :( I hope you don't have to have it! Hopefully, you will get the best dog for you!

That's great Horton.

I have to tell you a story I just was told. One of the girls I paint with has some kind of a problem, her legs give out and she falls down. Stress usually helps it happen. Well anyway, she was doing something at her church and she felt herself falling. She yelled out for someone to catch her, so she didn't hit the floor to hard. They caught her and sat her down on the floor. What she didn't notice was a service dog in the church,of course with whoever he was helping. Well, Dorothy said that service dog came over to her and sat by her side till she could get uppe and could move around again. A service dog helping a stranger.:D

Dear Horton Jeffrey

You are a STAR! I want to be just as great as you when I'm all grown up and go and do my job ...... My mUm says I'm getting there, whatever that means .... Where am I getting to, oh who knows she says some funny things sometimes!

But hey, wait till you hear my news. Mum and dad took me to an hotel! Wow! I'd been for lunch to an hotel and even a dinner dance, but this time we stayed and we had a huge room, well two rooms and two bathrooms. All,because of me apparently! It was on the ground floor and all the rooms had French doors out to the gardens, so it was very easy for Dad to take me out in the morning! Note I said Dad, as Mum stayed in bed while we went out ... lazy bones!

The lovely people at the hotel went to the local pet shop and bought me bowls - red ones with bones on them - and a special mat for me to eat on, and the bestest bit, some yummy doggy treats! They even sent me doggy ice-cream one evening as my canapes - it's not really icecream Mum said, but I really enjoyed it and had a little taste after all my meals! I liked this place Horton, everyone spoke to me and I was a good girl and sat down as I'm supposed to.

They don't allow "pet" dogs, and had never had a guide dog puppy stay before, so they made me feel, very, very special. Assistance dogs are very welcome there and we met a working guide dog who was coming in for afternoon tea with her Mum and family on Mother's Day. She was very excited to see me and we both had a bit of a fuss with each other! Not what we are really supposed to do, but everyone seemed happy enough for us to become friends!

So I'm hoping Mum and Dad will take me away again before I go to school, well, Mum is hoping Dad will take us both away! LOL!

Take Care Big Boy, I Luvs Ya! :D

Aruba XXX

PS. Mum says she will post some photos soon! There are some very good ones of ME apparently! LOL!