Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

That's great Horton.

I have to tell you a story I just was told. One of the girls I paint with has some kind of a problem, her legs give out and she falls down. Stress usually helps it happen. Well anyway, she was doing something at her church and she felt herself falling. She yelled out for someone to catch her, so she didn't hit the floor to hard. They caught her and sat her down on the floor. What she didn't notice was a service dog in the church,of course with whoever he was helping. Well, Dorothy said that service dog came over to her and sat by her side till she could get uppe and could move around again. A service dog helping a stranger.:D

Aaaaah, these dogs are so special and so kind and caring. Wonderful story Trudy. Nice to hear from you. :)

note to self...do not attempt to play online poker while reading this thread. I am pretty sure i just folded the winning hand because the cards were blurry.

Me too, even the DH had a bit of a "coughing fit" so he could wipe his eyes when I read him this "Tail". And then again when I read him Trudle's tail. Then we had to go put the kettle on!

Oh wow....what wonderful stories! Roz, Horton is a true superstar.

And I am soooo happy to hear how the hotel treated Aruba.

You all have made me smile this morning. Later today, I'll post the links with tons more photos. Yesterday we had "Critter Day". One of the trainers brought many different animals to expose the service dogs to different scenarios. We had sheep, ducks, chickens, goats, a horse, and a miniature horse. LOTS of fun.

Dear Horton Jeffrey

You are a STAR! I want to be just as great as you when I'm all grown up and go and do my job ...... My mUm says I'm getting there, whatever that means .... Where am I getting to, oh who knows she says some funny things sometimes!

But hey, wait till you hear my news. Mum and dad took me to an hotel! Wow! I'd been for lunch to an hotel and even a dinner dance, but this time we stayed and we had a huge room, well two rooms and two bathrooms. All,because of me apparently! It was on the ground floor and all the rooms had French doors out to the gardens, so it was very easy for Dad to take me out in the morning! Note I said Dad, as Mum stayed in bed while we went out ... lazy bones!

The lovely people at the hotel went to the local pet shop and bought me bowls - red ones with bones on them - and a special mat for me to eat on, and the bestest bit, some yummy doggy treats! They even sent me doggy ice-cream one evening as my canapes - it's not really icecream Mum said, but I really enjoyed it and had a little taste after all my meals! I liked this place Horton, everyone spoke to me and I was a good girl and sat down as I'm supposed to.

They don't allow "pet" dogs, and had never had a guide dog puppy stay before, so they made me feel, very, very special. Assistance dogs are very welcome there and we met a working guide dog who was coming in for afternoon tea with her Mum and family on Mother's Day. She was very excited to see me and we both had a bit of a fuss with each other! Not what we are really supposed to do, but everyone seemed happy enough for us to become friends!

So I'm hoping Mum and Dad will take me away again before I go to school, well, Mum is hoping Dad will take us both away! LOL!

Take Care Big Boy, I Luvs Ya! :D

Aruba XXX

PS. Mum says she will post some photos soon! There are some very good ones of ME apparently! LOL!

What a lovely hotel - and yes Dad need to take you and Mum away again!

Dianne

Hi again everyone. I posted a few pages back about traveling to the Bahamas with my Guide Dog.

I am still getting all the info zi need to get him in at ports, but I have a few general questions.

What did you do with your dog if you want to get in the pool/hot/tub/ocean?

I'm EXTREMELY concerned about Freeport and the fact that you have to take a cab to even get to a beach. I'm afraid we will get out of port and won't get back because no one will pick up a dog. Has this ever happened to anyone?

How would I go about finding out if excursions are dog accessible?

I don't want the fact that I am blind and have a service dog, to hold my family back. I kind of feel like it might though.

Also, has anyone by chance sailed the Carnival Fantasy? We do not have a handicapped room. Should I request to be moved to one? How did the staff react to your dogs?

Also, has anyone brought on their own potty box filler? I'm thinking of dirt/mulch. Will they allow this?

Thanks so much!

Hi again everyone. I posted a few pages back about traveling to the Bahamas with my Guide Dog.

I am still getting all the info zi need to get him in at ports, but I have a few general questions.

What did you do with your dog if you want to get in the pool/hot/tub/ocean?

I'm EXTREMELY concerned about Freeport and the fact that you have to take a cab to even get to a beach. I'm afraid we will get out of port and won't get back because no one will pick up a dog. Has this ever happened to anyone?

How would I go about finding out if excursions are dog accessible?

I don't want the fact that I am blind and have a service dog, to hold my family back. I kind of feel like it might though.

Also, has anyone by chance sailed the Carnival Fantasy? We do not have a handicapped room. Should I request to be moved to one? How did the staff react to your dogs?

Also, has anyone brought on their own potty box filler? I'm thinking of dirt/mulch. Will they allow this?

Thanks so much!

Hi, CruiseMom - have you come accross the answers given here to your earlier post? If not, you'll see some back on Page 698 of this thread. Quampapetet has a lot of experience with the Bahamas, and her long post addressed the taxi concern.

When we go to the pool, we have two chairs side by side, and the dog is settled on the deck between us. If you are traveling with family members (old enough to be sure the dog is supervised and controlled), you could take turns going into the water. The dog will not be permitted in any pool or hot tub, but the chair area is OK.

Edited by Caribbean Chris

Here's the link I promised with our "Critter Day" Warning there are tons of photos, and many much alike. I wanted to put all I could in the album for the participants in case there was one with their dogs they liked best.

https://www.facebook.com/hollysumner.ff/media_set?set=a.10152774778638543.1073741844.535573542&type=3

My attempt at posting some pics has failed miserably. :( I followed the procedure listed, but it didn't post. I am in dire need of photo help. The photographers took some great pics of the three of us on formal night that I'd love to share.

Looks like I will be researching more ports. The cruise blueshave gotten the best of me and so we have booked one of the last cruises of the Ocean Princess for the upcoming Christmas/New Year cruise. I have wanted to cruise on a small ship again, so this will probably be one of the last chances we will get. All of the ports are Caribbean islands, so I am keeping my fingers crossed that we don't get any forbidden ports. This cruise will also be visiting a few islands that I have not been to, so I am really excited...and so is Bill!:eek: He never gets excited until the morning we are leaving for the ship. I just hope Pedro will like this potty box better than on the Coral. We will be working on that situation from now until we leave, so there will be no worries. This time, at least we won't have to jump through as many hoops. Most of the vaccinations are still good, the chip is the correct one, and all we should need is the "form."

Is anyone else planning a cruise or trip?

Cindra

Hey all,

I am very tentatively looking at an EBTA that goes to England in 2016.

I thought I looked once and it was not allowed to bring an SD, but I thought I just saw somewhere that they do allow it with certain restrictions.

Anyone on here taken their SD on a cruise that has English stops? Also Dublin, Ireland.

That's great Horton.

I have to tell you a story I just was told. One of the girls I paint with has some kind of a problem, her legs give out and she falls down. Stress usually helps it happen. Well anyway, she was doing something at her church and she felt herself falling. She yelled out for someone to catch her, so she didn't hit the floor to hard. They caught her and sat her down on the floor. What she didn't notice was a service dog in the church,of course with whoever he was helping. Well, Dorothy said that service dog came over to her and sat by her side till she could get uppe and could move around again. A service dog helping a stranger.:D

This is a wonderful story. God love these amazing dogs who will be "there" for us and others! I just love and adore them!

Cindra,

Where are the photos? In something like Photobucket? On your computer?

I tried to post a photo here...a page or two back...but it wouldn't post for some unknown reason. Do I need to upload everything to a photo site and share the link?

What am I doing wrong when trying to post here on CC?

Cindra

Dear Horton Jeffrey

You are a STAR! I want to be just as great as you when I'm all grown up and go and do my job ...... My mUm says I'm getting there, whatever that means .... Where am I getting to, oh who knows she says some funny things sometimes!

But hey, wait till you hear my news. Mum and dad took me to an hotel! Wow! I'd been for lunch to an hotel and even a dinner dance, but this time we stayed and we had a huge room, well two rooms and two bathrooms. All,because of me apparently! It was on the ground floor and all the rooms had French doors out to the gardens, so it was very easy for Dad to take me out in the morning! Note I said Dad, as Mum stayed in bed while we went out ... lazy bones!

The lovely people at the hotel went to the local pet shop and bought me bowls - red ones with bones on them - and a special mat for me to eat on, and the bestest bit, some yummy doggy treats! They even sent me doggy ice-cream one evening as my canapes - it's not really icecream Mum said, but I really enjoyed it and had a little taste after all my meals! I liked this place Horton, everyone spoke to me and I was a good girl and sat down as I'm supposed to.

They don't allow "pet" dogs, and had never had a guide dog puppy stay before, so they made me feel, very, very special. Assistance dogs are very welcome there and we met a working guide dog who was coming in for afternoon tea with her Mum and family on Mother's Day. She was very excited to see me and we both had a bit of a fuss with each other! Not what we are really supposed to do, but everyone seemed happy enough for us to become friends!

So I'm hoping Mum and Dad will take me away again before I go to school, well, Mum is hoping Dad will take us both away! LOL!

Take Care Big Boy, I Luvs Ya! :D

Aruba XXX

PS. Mum says she will post some photos soon! There are some very good ones of ME apparently! LOL!

Oh! My darling little girl. You're having so much fun with your family.

My sister-dog Brenda stayed in a hotel with Roz & Morey that did the exact same thing. She got to keep the dog dishes and beautiful bed that they gave her. The hotel was in Santa Cruz, CA. Nobody has ever treated either Brenda or me that way ever since. I'm glad Brenda was treated really well, she was a very special girl in Roz's life. And, I know Morey loved her very much too. I got to love her for a short time.......she was a very good teacher and loved by so many!

I love Afternoon Tea on the ships......I get to brush by all the white tablecloths and leave a part of me there!!!!! :D

Keep having fun, sweet girl. I know how much Mum loves being with you!

Pawlightly,

Your friend forever,

Horton Jeffrey

I tried to post a photo here...a page or two back...but it wouldn't post for some unknown reason. Do I need to upload everything to a photo site and share the link?

Cindra

Yes, it needs to be somewhere like a photo hosting site. Others will chime in if there are other ways.

Cindra

First you have to sign up for a site like Photobucket. It's free.

Then you have to upload your pictures there.

When you want to share a picture here from Photobucket try this.

Click on the picture you want to share. Then where is says "share links", click next to the one that says Direct. You should see it flash copied. Then come back here and click on the yellow icon that looks like a postcard of a mountain. Then paste. The photo should then show up here.

Hey all,

I am very tentatively looking at an EBTA that goes to England in 2016.

I thought I looked once and it was not allowed to bring an SD, but I thought I just saw somewhere that they do allow it with certain restrictions.

Anyone on here taken their SD on a cruise that has English stops? Also Dublin, Ireland.

I am not an expert on European travel. That said, I have read that any animals entering the UK must be quarantined. When the actress Elizabeth Taylor was receiving an O.B.E she brought her little dog along, but could not bring it into the country because of the quarantine requirement. Others, including Roz have commented on this. So you may hear from somebody with actual experience. (Sounds like a wonderful trip though.) :)

Thanks!

Beckie

That's great Horton.

Trudy, isn't it amazing how these dogs are so eager to come to someone's aide. They love to be needed and to help!

Thanks for sharing!

Me too, even the DH had a bit of a "coughing fit" so he could wipe his eyes when I read him this "Tail". And then again when I read him Trudle's tail. Then we had to go put the kettle on!

I wish I knew how to play poker! Then, I'd put my visor on, roll-up my sleeves and hit the card clubs! I hope they don't step on Horty!

My attempt at posting some pics has failed miserably. :( I followed the procedure listed, but it didn't post. I am in dire need of photo help. The photographers took some great pics of the three of us on formal night that I'd love to share.

Looks like I will be researching more ports. The cruise blueshave gotten the best of me and so we have booked one of the last cruises of the Ocean Princess for the upcoming Christmas/New Year cruise. I have wanted to cruise on a small ship again, so this will probably be one of the last chances we will get. All of the ports are Caribbean islands, so I am keeping my fingers crossed that we don't get any forbidden ports. This cruise will also be visiting a few islands that I have not been to, so I am really excited...and so is Bill!:eek: He never gets excited until the morning we are leaving for the ship. I just hope Pedro will like this potty box better than on the Coral. We will be working on that situation from now until we leave, so there will be no worries. This time, at least we won't have to jump through as many hoops. Most of the vaccinations are still good, the chip is the correct one, and all we should need is the "form."

Is anyone else planning a cruise or trip?

Cindra

We leave on April 6th for 10 days onboard the Golden Princess. We will be visiting many port in Mexico that I've NEVER been to. I will either go explore them or we'll just onboard while everyone else is off [i love having the ship all to myself!]

It's been an exhausting past two years.......I'm so looking forward to the R&R!

I am not an expert on European travel. That said, I have read that any animals entering the UK must be quarantined. When the actress Elizabeth Taylor was receiving an O.B.E she brought her little dog along, but could not bring it into the country because of the quarantine requirement. Others, including Roz have commented on this. So you may hear from somebody with actual experience. (Sounds like a wonderful trip though.) :)

Thanks!

Beckie

There are exceptions for service dogs, but of course it requires a lot of work and I believe there are only a few particular airports you can enter into (not sure about seaports if the cruise is originating outside of the UK). I believe the rabies titer with six-month wait is one of the requirements.