Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

Under the heading of "You Can't Make This Stuff Up"...read the following!!

http://www.inquisitr.com/1988264/woman-denied-entry-at-disneys-magic-kingdom-for-trying-to-bring-in-baby-bengal-tiger/

If it were truly a Bengal Tiger why would US customs have allowed it into the country? Wonder what got left out of the story. Very strange situation... Thanks for posting!

Beckie

Under the heading of "You Can't Make This Stuff Up"...read the following!!

http://www.inquisitr.com/1988264/woman-denied-entry-at-disneys-magic-kingdom-for-trying-to-bring-in-baby-bengal-tiger/

So true, who could make this up? It doesn't quote the woman as saying it is her Bengal Service Animal, fortunately. Faux service dogs get enough outlandish press as it is.

Anyway, who takes pets into the Magic Kingdom? They are not permitted even if you have come all the way from Dubai.

For Alohatoo -

I stumbled across something today that says Barbados has very recently revised their requirements:

"As of 1st January 2015 the rules governing the importation of dogs and cats into Barbados have changed to allow pets to enter the island from all countries."

The new information and details can be found in an official Barbados document posted on the USDA APHIS website: http://www.aphis.usda.gov/wps/portal/aphis/home/

Click on Imports and Exports (menu at left), then continue to click - Exporting animals FROM the United States, Animals or Animal Products, IREGs for Animal Export, and then find the dropdown menu of countries.

Awesome!!! I wish they had this back when I had a cruise that went there, but it is good that they are finally changing it.

"The certificate" It's USDA APHIS form #7001. You get it from your USDA certified veterinarian. Mine cost about $120 if I remember correctly. You get this just prior to your cruise, as it is time sensitive. After you get the certificate from the vet, you visit your closest USDA APHIS office by appointment, or if one is not within driving distance, you FEDEX it to the office.

You only need to send the health certificate to the USDA office if one or more of the countries you're going to requires it to be endorsed.

(If Half Moon Cay is in the Bahamas...)

Regulations for taking a pet dog or cat to the Commonwealth of the Bahamas

The Bahamas do not quarantine healthy dogs and cats who meet the following requirements:

From the United States and Canada:

Import Permit from the Ministry of Agriculture, Trade and Industry (Nassau).

Your pet must be 6 months of age or older.

Rabies vaccination not less than 1 month and not more than 10 months prior to entry.

Your pet must be accompanied by a Veterinary Health Certificate for the Bahamas presented within 48 hours of arrival in the Commonwealth of the Bahamas to a licensed veterinarian for an examination. Although it is not required, we recommend that a USDA or CFIA licensed veterinarian complete the form and you have it endorsed by the USDA or CFIA if traveling from the United States or Canada. If you are not traveling from either of these countries, the Governing Authority of your country responsible for the import and export of animals should endorse the forms.

A copy of the Rabies Certificate should be included for endorsement.

Unaccompanied pets traveling as manifest cargo will need a health certificate issued within 10 days of travel. Your airlines may also require a health certificate even if your pet is traveling with you in the cabin or as checked baggage.

The permit is valid for 90 days from the date of issue. There will be a customs duty at the point of entry.

This information is not correct. They take the three-year rabies, there is no need for the health certificate to be endorsed, the import permit is good for one year (for one entry - if you are going there twice in one year, you need two permits). Cruisers do not need to see a Bahamian vet upon arrival since they will only be in the country for a few hours. I believe I posted the link to the form to fill out for the import permit (it is a new one) a few pages ago. Make sure you write that your dog is your service dog on the form so they know to waive the fee.

Oh, when you get your form 7001 signed and stamped, make sure you tell them the dog is a service dog. That will waive their fee.

I believe they require proof of the dog's training, not just stating it is a service dog, in order to waive the fee.

I am sorry to hear about your BIL - I hope he has a speedy recovery. Let us know how the insurance reimbursement goes - I have never had to use it and would be curious to know if you have any difficulty with the reimbursement.

Dianne

I finally got everything together and mailed it out today...when (if) the claim is settled I am going to post a thread explaining the process on the "ask a cruise question" board to share with everyone. I will post a link here when that happens...hopefully in a couple of weeks or so.

My brother in law has been discharged to a rehab facility close to our house...thanks to everyone for their kind words.

Keith

I finally got everything together and mailed it out today...when (if) the claim is settled I am going to post a thread explaining the process on the "ask a cruise question" board to share with everyone. I will post a link here when that happens...hopefully in a couple of weeks or so.

My brother in law has been discharged to a rehab facility close to our house...thanks to everyone for their kind words.

Keith

So glad your brother in law is nearby.

Great idea to post the claim process, Keith - could help other people a lot. When someone who meets the definition of family member dies, it is fairly straightforward and you just have to get a copy of the death certificate. But I suspect it gets more complicated in other cases.

So glad your brother in law is nearby.

Great idea to post the claim process, Keith - could help other people a lot. When someone who meets the definition of family member dies, it is fairly straightforward and you just have to get a copy of the death certificate. But I suspect it gets more complicated in other cases.

One maybe important thing is that one of the questions on the Physician's Statement is:

Did you advise the trip be cancelled or interrupted due to the patient's medical condition?

not many people would bring this up with the doctor, especially in an emergency situation. The doctor who filled out the form did check yes...

I get so much useful information from this site that I am happy to pass some back when I get a chance.

One maybe important thing is that one of the questions on the Physician's Statement is:

Did you advise the trip be cancelled or interrupted due to the patient's medical condition?

not many people would bring this up with the doctor, especially in an emergency situation. The doctor who filled out the form did check yes...

I get so much useful information from this site that I am happy to pass some back when I get a chance.

Thanks for passing the info on - I have never needed to use the travel insurance, but it would be nice to know that you are getting what you are paying for if an emergency arises.

Dianne

Keith

Keith, please give our best wishes to your brother-in-law. So glad his stay at rehab is near you, it is so much easier to visit when they're close. Keep us posted as you can.

Thanks,

Beckie

Make sure you write that your dog is your service dog on the form so they know to waive the fee.

I believe they require proof of the dog's training, not just stating it is a service dog, in order to waive the fee.

No, they didn't require it. I asked on the phone when I made my appointment with the APHIS office. They said I didn't need to bring any training papers or anything that said he was a service dog. I just told them and they took my word for it. I had no problems and they stamped it without question. No fee.

This was in February of this year.

Cindra

Keith

Keith,

That's such good news that he was released from the hospital to rehab. The PTs will get him back home in no time. Tell him to stay positive, even through the tough days.

Cindra

No, they didn't require it. I asked on the phone when I made my appointment with the APHIS office. They said I didn't need to bring any training papers or anything that said he was a service dog. I just told them and they took my word for it. I had no problems and they stamped it without question. No fee.

This was in February of this year.

Cindra

That's great, helpful for owner-trainers. I know their Web site at least used to say that proof of training was required, but haven't checked it recently since in the last few years, I have only gone to countries that don't need the endorsement. When I did it, I brought my service dog team certificate. I do believe they told me on the phone that I would need to bring it. My vet told me a few months ago that the office I used to go to now no longer does endorsements, so I will have to mail my stuff out of state instead of bringing them in person next time I need endorsement - that's annoying!

I forgot that I wanted to mention this cool item I found for my fellow Disney lovers! It is a Pluto dog collar that lights up (steady or blinking), perfect for nighttime at Disney parks (or Disney cruise) so people see your dog instead of bumping into him! It comes in several different colors, including pink, yellow, blue, orange, and red. At first I was going to get the pink one because that's the one that showed up in my search result, but then I saw the yellow one and got that one because Pluto is yellow (so it looks the best when the light is off, IMO) and it looks like it is the brightest of all the colors. I am looking forward to it arriving! I hope the quality is good enough for it to last.

Amazon - Pluto LED Dog Collar

Oh, and did you guys hear about the new guide dog team (together for two weeks) who went into a 7-Eleven (big chain convenience store) and a pet that was illegally inside the store attacked the guide of this completely-blind woman?! So upsetting!! Who knows if he will be able to work again. He is recovering from his injuries.

Woman's Guide Dog Attacked

Oh, and did you guys hear about the new guide dog team (together for two weeks) who went into a 7-Eleven (big chain convenience store) and a pet that was illegally inside the store attacked the guide of this completely-blind woman?! So upsetting!! Who knows if he will be able to work again. He is recovering from his injuries.

Woman's Guide Dog Attacked

that is just horrible...by the way there are some businesses around here that do allow non-service animals in their stores - Home Depot and Lowes come to mind, and of course Pet Smart and Petco. I am sure most of the pets who enter those establishments are well behaved, but it is something to think about if you have a Service Dog.

Edited by alexspepa

I forgot that I wanted to mention this cool item I found for my fellow Disney lovers! It is a Pluto dog collar that lights up (steady or blinking), perfect for nighttime at Disney parks (or Disney cruise)

Amazon - Pluto LED Dog Collar

Thanks! I just put that on my Amazon Wish List!

BTW, for those who do shop at Amazon, do you know about the Smile Program? You can have most, if not all, of your purchases have an amount go to whatever charity you select. Costs you nothing, but can make a huge difference to your charity.

My SD organization participates and I tend to buy from Amazon often, so it's a win-win.

All you have to do is look to see if whatever charity you like is listed.

Holly

Not directly dealing with cruising with a SD directly...but I have a question for the teams here.

Did you feel like an absolute klutz when first working with your dog?

I've been going to the classes for just under a year. So far the dogs I worked with (one in particular) have been already trained. So when you say, "sit" they sit, etc.

I've been trying the Rally class the organization has been doing and they have been bringing my future service dog. Wow, am I a klutz!!! I sure hope I get this. He works quite well with his puppy trainer although he (the dog) is still going through the teenage thing.

I guess with me I need to establish being the leader of the pack. /end whine.

Not directly dealing with cruising with a SD directly...but I have a question for the teams here.

Did you feel like an absolute klutz when first working with your dog? ...

Oh sure! Klutz, yes. I went with my dog to a local private trainer after placement - very valuable training for ME. The dog already had it down.

You'll be the leader of the pack because you control the food. However....These dogs are so intelligent that it takes them 30 seconds to find your weak spots even though they are little angels for the original trainers..

I'm no expert but you must ignore the sad-eye sweet face and remember the dog is counting on your consistent leadership. It's much better to start firm and never let them get away with things (like jumping out of the car, rushing to the food bowl, or dashing out the door without first a "Free" or whatever your release command may be.) You make an instant noise of displeasure (Ack!, Oops, or whatever) and get them back to the start place immediately to "try it again."

My dog's original trainer taught me good tools.. for example, if the dog ignores a command or takes her time responding. I reach in my pocket for a few training treats and walk over to actually show them to her, saying (very sad, dramatic voice), "Oh, coulda had some yummy treats, awwww." Then "try it again" and give the command again.

One thing I did right from day one was to never give her people food or allow her on the sofa if we are eating. So she never begs and just settles quietly until we finish. Also, my dog has learned what phrases like "It's not time yet" or "Go to your bed" mean when she wants to eat early or get me out of bed. And she settles back down.

The service work is much easier actually than the behavior part. That's like a game for the dog with treats, toys, praise and they love to play!

Body language matters a lot, too, as you are no doubt experiencing. Hopefully, your trainers will be a great resource after placement with specific tools that will get your dog's attention for any number of problems. It's really a fun experience! Just treat your first year together as a training year and keep on learning together.

We'll all be interested!

Edited by Caribbean Chris

His dog trainer came to rally last night specifically to help me out. He helped tremendously.

Fortunately I will continue to go to the classes as I live close enough so it won't be, "here's your dog, good luck". It will be awhile before I bring him home as he's still young (will be 15 months old soon).

Ha ha - I think I will use that dramatic treat tool....

Thanks for the encouragement. As I said, I'd been going to the classes but the dogs I'd been working with were full service dogs with a few years under their vests.

He's going to be a great dog! (and a big boy, he's already 80 pounds of golden) I think I'll be able to tell his name soon, as I was told "unless something goes horribly wrong, he's my match". Just last night I was afraid I was horribly wrong.

I'll learn! :)

Did you feel like an absolute klutz when first working with your dog?

I've been going to the classes for just under a year. So far the dogs I worked with (one in particular) have been already trained. So when you say, "sit" they sit, etc.

I've been trying the Rally class the organization has been doing and they have been bringing my future service dog. Wow, am I a klutz!!! I sure hope I get this. He works quite well with his puppy trainer although he (the dog) is still going through the teenage thing.

Holly,

I remember vividly the day Gibson stayed with my daughter Diana forever. The trainers had been coming to our house for sessions each week for many weeks. As they drove away we stood outside to see them off and Diana looked up at me from her wheelchair and asked, "What do I do now?" I had a nice chuckle over that! He was only 18 months old when Diana was matched with him, so he was an early bloomer as a service dog.

Your journey will have some fits and starts, but you are going to love it. Enjoy the ride!

Beckie