Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

Welcome home Aunty Roz and Horty - we were so happy to read you had a wonderful cruise with your family. :D

Oh Holly - congratulations and that is such great news you have Jagger home with you! I just told Aruba that when she finishes school, she will go to live with someone just like Aunty Holly and her lovely family complete with "Grannie" to run to for cuddles and in times of need!!! :rolleyes: (I did love that video and Jagger's face! He's priceless running to Grannie! LOL!) So she will be alright!

So we are now less than three weeks away till "THE DAY" - can you believe Aruba is now 16 months old? Where has the time gone?

We are having a little gathering soon for family and friends who know Aruba to come and have a cup of tea and a "fancy piece" before she heads off - A "fancy piece" is a glamorous cup cake or decadent chocolate cake, or a meringue filled with lots of cream, something nice you would have for an upmarket afternoon tea. A "piece" is an old word for a snack, something like a sandwich for lunch. So years ago a man going to work would take a piece for his lunch. Hopefully it was a "fine piece" meaning it was good and tasty! But it wouldn't of course be a "fancy piece"!!!

So you are all invited ...... Oh my would I have enough fine fancy pieces to go round??? LOL!!

Loved the explanation......I want me some "fancy pieces!" Can't begin to tell you how many of those I had onboard the Miracle!

They had a "chocolate extravaganza", where you could dip everything and anything into chocolate......what were they thinking? Yummmmmmmmy! The line was around the corner and it took at least 20 minutes to get through it, but so worth it!

There are some wonderful and amazing things that Carnival offers that you just don't see on other ships!

I have Aruba's date [marked on my calendar] for going to college on July 21st. It's creeping up on us.

I think the "good-bye" tea is a wonderful idea.....Let her have something fancy to mark the occasion!

Either that or pack your bags and hers and head for the Netherlands! Better yet, come to the USA and I'll put you in the PuppyRaising Protection Program........The "PPP" [i just made that up!]...No one would ever find you two. But, Poppy and Max would have to come too and then there's Mr. Fairbourne.......I'll take care of ALL of you and no one would tell! Oh! Never mind, you can't trust those Labs.......they're such blabberjowels!

In all seriousness, I know the date is haunting you and you know we're all right here for you.....cyber hugs and all!!! ♥ ;)

Welcome home Aunty Roz and Horty - we were so happy to read you had a wonderful cruise with your family. :D

Oh Holly - congratulations and that is such great news you have Jagger home with you! I just told Aruba that when she finishes school, she will go to live with someone just like Aunty Holly and her lovely family complete with "Grannie" to run to for cuddles and in times of need!!! :rolleyes: (I did love that video and Jagger's face! He's priceless running to Grannie! LOL!) So she will be alright!

So we are now less than three weeks away till "THE DAY" - can you believe Aruba is now 16 months old? Where has the time gone?

We are having a little gathering soon for family and friends who know Aruba to come and have a cup of tea and a "fancy piece" before she heads off - A "fancy piece" is a glamorous cup cake or decadent chocolate cake, or a meringue filled with lots of cream, something nice you would have for an upmarket afternoon tea. A "piece" is an old word for a snack, something like a sandwich for lunch. So years ago a man going to work would take a piece for his lunch. Hopefully it was a "fine piece" meaning it was good and tasty! But it wouldn't of course be a "fancy piece"!!!

So you are all invited ...... Oh my would I have enough fine fancy pieces to go round??? LOL!!

Oh, I wish I could come. I hope you enjoy every moment until then.

Dianne

I got good news today. Jagger is home with me now for good.

He still needs more training but we are going to work on that together.

Dancing with joy!

Holly

Wonderful news Holly! Such fun times ahead for you and Jagger. Bear is probably happy too, since his buddy won't leave anymore. More great stories for us all to read.

Thanks,

Beckie

Oh Fairbourne, I can't bear the thought that Aruba is going off to "college" in just three weeks! I'm getting tears in my eyes thinking of it. She is going to make someone's life so much better. You can be proud of your accomplishment in giving her a solid start in her life of service. Thank you for sharing your adventure with us!

Beckie

We have been under severe weather warnings all evening since I walked in the door after getting home from work around six. There was no regular programming, and the weathermen are still on live. Our sirens ran for a whole hour, which is very unusual. Counties south and east of us are still dealing with severe weather. A couple of small tornadoes touched down and caused damage not far from us. Lots of beautiful lightening to watch out the window. All of us, including Gibson and Diana's oxygen concentrator went to the basement while the sirens were sounding. My sister came from town because she only has a crawl space, stopped next door and made our folks get in the car. She brought them to our basement for the worst part of the storm. What an evening! (They just issued another tornado warning for a county two counties away from us.)

Beckie

Holly - I wish I had such expressive eyes when I don my eyeliner! LOL! I'm so happy for you and your boy ..... Every time I think of him, that song does come into my head! Moves like Jagger ...... And it moves around and around in my head ..... Do they call it an ear worm when that happens??? :eek:

Oh Roz, yes sign me and Aruba up for the PPP! Chocolate everything, now you're talking - oh my dawg, you would just have to try everything (and then feel sick!!! LOL!)

Beckie - I thought we were having odd weather today, but nothing like you are having! Let us know you are all safe. Don't you cry, you'll make me start!

To everyone - thank YOU for allowing me to share Aruba's journey - it's been fun hasn't it? But it's not over yet! And to all our lurkers - see what happens when you lurk around here!!! Can you imagine the fun we'd all have if we ever all got together? :D:D.

FYI:

ORLANDO --

A new Florida law means jail time if you pose your pet as a service animal.

Starting July 1, anyone who lies about their animals being a guide or service animal could face up to 60 day in Jail.

For guide dog owners like Richard Darrington, this new law could help discourage imposters.

“I think it will cause people who are on the fence to think before moving forward with the decision,” Darrington explained.

He said that’s important because he is constantly asked whether his dog, Malcolm, is certified and trained.

Darrington is legally blind and needs Malcolm, who was trained for two years to be a guide dog to help him get around.

“I’m questioned all the time, ‘Is this a real guide dog?’” Darrington said. “I know part of that is because there are others out there that are masquerading and that hampers my ability to do what I need to do.”

If the dog is found to be wearing false identifiers, and isn’t properly trained then the owner will go to jail.

READ THE LAW: HB 71 - Service Animals

The law was sponsored by State Rep. Jimmie Smith, R-Inverness. Smith said he was approached by a disability rights group because veterans with PTSD said they were having trouble with access.

"There was a need for it, and local groups in the state of Florida wanted it," Smith said.

Smith said he worked with local groups as well, but it was tricky because the bill could not step on the toes of the Americans with Disabilities Act.

"So many people wanted us to do certifications and we absolutely told them there was no way to do certifications because the federal government doesn't do certifications," Smith said.

The main purpose of the bill though is to provide clarity -- for owners, for businesses and for the general public.

Service Animals FAQ

What makes an animal a service animal?

The Americans With Disabilities Act defines a service animal as the following:

Service animals are defined as dogs that are individually trained to do work or perform tasks for people with disabilities.

Examples include guide dogs for the blind, dogs who pull wheelchairs, dogs who alert and protect a person who is having a seizure, reminding a person to take medications or calming a person who has Post Traumatic Stress Disorder during an anxiety attack.

A service animal is not a pet. If you see someone with a service animal in store, you shouldn't ask to pet the dog because it is most likely working.

In Florida, a service animal can be a dog or a miniature horse, according to the new law.

What's the difference between a service animal, an emotional support animal or comfort animal and a therapy animal?

Service animals go where their owners go. Because they perform specific tasks directly related to the person's needs, they are always needed anywhere.

An emotional support or comfort animal is not a service dog because while they provide therapeutic benefit to an individual with a mental or psychiatric disability through the pet's companionship. Any animal can be an emotional support animal if a doctor is willing to sign off on it. But the animal is not specifically trained to perform tasks. Because of that an ESA does not get the kind of public access a service animal has. However, if the person has an emotional support animal that is approved by a medical professional, they can live in a housing unit that has a "no pets" rule, according to the federal Fair Housing Act. Airlines are also more willing to let an emotional support animal travel in the cabin of an airplane, under certain limitations. Check with the individual airlines.

A therapy dog, however, is neither. Therapy dogs are used in a wide variety of roles. They are best known for visiting people at facilities like hospitals, nursing homes and schools. They can provide comfort and stress relief for patients. They can also help in nursing homes or rehabilitation centers as a tool in therapy and treatment. But they do not have the public access a service dog has.

Where are service dogs allowed?

Essentially every where. Even at places like restaurants and supermarkets where dogs are not usually allowed, or other places where state or local health codes would prohibit animals. However, there are rules:

They must be properly harnesses, leashed or tethered unless the devices interfere with a service animal's work, or the individual's disability prevents them from using them. Then the individual has to maintain control of the animal through voice, signal or other controls.

Also, the animal must be well trained. A person who uses a service dog has to make sure that dog goes through multiple levels of training, from basic obedience to the Public Access Test. While they do not have to show a license or any evidence to training to a business, if they are dragged into court they will have to show documentation that the dog can pass the Public Access Test.

Is it true businesses are not allowed to question people with service dogs?

Businesses are not allowed to ask for proof of certification or medical documentation regarding a service dog. They are not allowed to ask specifically about the person's disability or if the dog is a service dog. They are, however, allowed to ask TWO questions, per the ADA:

1.Is the animal required because of a disability?

2.What work or task has the animal been trained to perform?

The business also cannot charge a person with a service animal extra fees or isolate them from other patrons.

If the animal is out of control and the owner doesn't take action to control it, or the animal poses a direct threat to other patrons, the business can be asked to remove the dog from the premises. The disabled person can then come on the property without the dog.

And allergies and fear of animals are not valid reasons for denying access to a service dog, per the ADA.

A FAQ for businesses from the ADA can be found here.

Is it true you can just register your dog online as a service dog?

No. There are many websites that claim you can register your dog, by a vest or a patch and your dog is a service dog. Unless that dog is properly trained, that dog is not a service dog. A service dog shouldn't bark unless it is to alert the patient to something they need. They should be house broken. They should follow all handler commands. They shouldn't scratch or bite. They should almost be invisible, only active and visible when they need to be to work for their handler. Even if the dog was trained by the handler, and not by an organization, their training must be absolutely stellar and obvious.

Is there actually a problem with fake service dogs?

Finding statistics on documented fake service dogs are not easy. Faking a service dog is a federal crime, and now also a misdemeanor punishable with up to 60 days of jail time in Florida. Fake service dogs become a problem for people with real service dogs because these people face added discimination from businesses and individuals who have had bad experience. It can affect their access.

Some organizations, like Canine Companions for Independence, are looking for ways to work with The U.S. Justice Dept., and this may lead to a standard for service dogs. They've collected thousands of signatures on a petition to get the Justice Dept. to look into this. CCI said they are increasingly hearing complaints from their clients that they have been denied access to public places because business owners have had bad experiences with fake service dogs.

Is this new Florida law enforceable?

"That remains to be seen," said Martha Johnson, spokesperson for Canine Companions for Independence. "We sure hope so."

Johnson said at least two dozen other states have a similar law, and it has been enforceable in those states.

"I think what it really does is just build awareness and make someone think twice before they pass their dog off as a service dog when they're not," Johnson said.

Edited by wizard-of-roz

FYI:

Is it true businesses are not allowed to question people with service dogs?

Businesses are not allowed to ask for proof of certification or medical documentation regarding a service dog. They are not allowed to ask specifically about the person's disability or if the dog is a service dog. They are, however, allowed to ask TWO questions, per the ADA:

1.Is the animal required because of a disability?

2.What work or task has the animal been trained to perform?

So a business is not allowed to ask specifically about the person's disability, but is allowed to ask if the animal is required because of a disability. A hair can be split more easily than a business who has a complaint filed for asking the "are you disabled" question. More importantly, a business cannot ask about the person's disability but is permitted to as what work or task the animal is trained to perform. YIKES How does one ask the question without violating the ADA?

Is this new Florida law enforceable?

"That remains to be seen," said Martha Johnson, spokesperson for Canine Companions for Independence. "We sure hope so."

Hope so??? That's what's wrong with our legislatures (both state and Congress) is that they don't think these things through before passing legislation. If Florida's legislature is counting on "hope," as the enforcement mechanism, it simply ain't enforceable.

"I think what it really does is just build awareness and make someone think twice before they pass their dog off as a service dog when they're not," Johnson said.

Is that the legitimate role of a legislature; to "just build awareness?"

=======================

Sorry to jump in, but this new law is really silly and appears to be yet another full employment act to benefit trial lawyers.

I absolutely agree with the intention, which is far more consequential than, say, falsely using a handicap placard to park in a handicap spot, because of the incredible importance of service animals to their owner.

But a poorly crafted law like this can make things worse because it will force out a lot of small businesses because of a fear of an ADA or state of Florida action if they ask the wrong question.

(side note; this law is something we Californians expect from our legislature, but Florida? I thought they were smarter than California.)

Edited by Sow There

[/b]So a business is not allowed to ask specifically about the person's disability, but is allowed to ask if the animal is required because of a disability. A hair can be split more easily than a business who has a complaint filed for asking the "are you disabled" question. More importantly, a business cannot ask about the person's disability but is permitted to as what work or task the animal is trained to perform. YIKES How does one ask the question without violating the ADA?

[/color]

Hope so??? That's what's wrong with our legislatures (both state and Congress) is that they don't think these things through before passing legislation. If Florida's legislature is counting on "hope," as the enforcement mechanism, it simply ain't enforceable.

Is that the legitimate role of a legislature; to "just build awareness?"

=======================

Sorry to jump in, but this new law is really silly and appears to be yet another full employment act to benefit trial lawyers.

I absolutely agree with the intention, which is far more consequential than, say, falsely using a handicap placard to park in a handicap spot, because of the incredible importance of service animals to their owner.

But a poorly crafted law like this can make things worse because it will force out a lot of small businesses because of a fear of an ADA or state of Florida action if they ask the wrong question.

(side note; this law is something we Californians expect from our legislature, but Florida? I thought they were smarter than California.)

Sow, thanks for your input. The law is vague in many ways and doesn't necessarily address all our issues but it's a head start and we need head starts and, as vague as they may be, some sort of legal standing. SLOW.....that's how our government works.....very SLOWLY!

Horton and I will go on every cruise and airline that we can to show how a Service Dog should behave. AWARNESS and desensitization is what the public needs to witness a true Service Dog in action.

It's basically the same as the ADA - business always could ask "is this animal required for a disability", as well as "what tasks is this animal trained to perform".

Yes, one has to admit one has a disability. They can't ask WHAT that disability is. And I see the point that saying what task an animal does is kind of splitting hairs. One can be vague.

But it is a start. And to me, that's important.

And I so agree with Roz - it's how our service dogs behave and act that can show the public what true service dogs are like. My program always drills that into our heads each week.

Sow, thanks for your input. The law is vague in many ways and doesn't necessarily address all our issues but it's a head start and we need head starts and, as vague as they may be, some sort of legal standing. SLOW.....that's how our government works.....very SLOWLY!

Horton and I will go on every cruise and airline that we can to show how a Service Dog should behave. AWARNESS and desensitization is what the public needs to witness a true Service Dog in action.

I'm 100% with you. (Well, almost. "government works" is an oxymoron.:confused:)

I think you have, and will continue to serve as an effective ambassador for service dogs and their owners, which, IMHO, is far more effective than any silly legislation that has no prescribed way of dealing with phonies or with businesses who don't play by the ADA rules.

I'm 100% with you. (Well, almost. "government works" is an oxymoron.:confused:)

I think you have, and will continue to serve as an effective ambassador for service dogs and their owners, which, IMHO, is far more effective than any silly legislation that has no prescribed way of dealing with phonies or with businesses who don't play by the ADA rules.

Thank you! These dogs are the true ambassadors, I'm very lucky to have a disability that allows one of these heroes into the public venue so they can be witness to their genius. And, how love, commitment and training can change a wonderful pet into a true service partner.

Ok, My daughter Kate will be bringing Hoovy on our cruise Oct. 17th. She has had a whopper of a time lately and we are looking forward to actually going on this cruise. So I contacted Carnival about her bringing him. They told me they would have the pellets. Do they say anything if you add mulch and when you pack it and you go through security. Hubby wants me to bring gallon jugs of water for him too. UGH. Hello, but I can't picture this being realistic. Does everyone bring water. Carnival just changed their policy and you can't bring on bottled water, but can bring nursery or distilled water. I am assuming the service dog is an exception, but does anyone use the ships water? We would always use bottled at any port.

So Hoovy will need a one year rabies shot for sure because I got him a three year which isn't excepted. Where do I go to find out the requirements for each port?

Hi, Kiddiecakes. Welcome back to the forum. I believe Roz (who started this thread and just got back from a Carnival cruise) has taken bags of mulch on ships in the past with no problem. You might want to read a few pages back where she describes her recent experience.

I use the ship tap water for my dog on board and buy bottled water to use in port with the collapsible water bowl.

My dog has had a three-year rabies certificate and I have cruised twice in the Caribbean with no problem. Your mileage may vary. The USDA certified vet enters the expiration date of the rabies vaccination on form 7001.

As far as port information, check back to page 709 of this forum, post number 14166, where TVAud posted lots of details on each port in answer to your question when you posted it back in April, assuming you are going on the same cruise as before.

For an update, you also can call the embassy of each country to verify their requirements.

Thank you for the information. Things got a bit out of hand so I am just now sitting down and trying to get all the information down and where and when I need to go. I found a form for Grand Turk but not the other places. I will go back and look. I had forgotten I had gotten responses before. I guess I need this cruise more than I thought! HAHA! How about excursions, did you have any issues with bringing dogs on a guided tour?

Thank you for the information. Things got a bit out of hand so I am just now sitting down and trying to get all the information down and where and when I need to go. I found a form for Grand Turk but not the other places. I will go back and look. I had forgotten I had gotten responses before. I guess I need this cruise more than I thought! HAHA! How about excursions, did you have any issues with bringing dogs on a guided tour?

I've never taken my service dog on a tour from a cruise ship, but others here I believe have ... and perhaps made advance reservations by communicating directly with a tour operator, rather than through the cruise line. If you go to US possessions like Puerto Rico or the US Virgin Islands, theoretically the ADA applies. But in reality, things can be quite different than in the continental US.

I totally agree. I have contacted some tours through trip advisor and I hope they get back to me. She can't do the beach thing so she likes going on historical tours so I am hoping she can do those. We are telling her she can go everywhere and she shouldn't back away from doing something because she has an illness. I am hoping this cruise will show her just that. I admit though, I am worried about taking him off the boat, but he is really obedient and well mannered so I am not worried about that. More worried about stray animals, issues with paperwork and people not being respectful to the fact he is a working dog.