Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

Chris - I enjoyed reading about your cruise with Raylene ( and the hubby!). Sounds like you had a wonderful time - roll on cruise number 4. :)

Holly - That's the best news to have your boy home for Christmas! :D

I too learnt from reading on here to get a table in a restaurant that we can "tuck" the pup in or be against a wall, or in a corner and to be extra vigilent with their tails. We've taken Bonnie into a few eating places now and she's been very good, usually falling asleep under the table - and in fact we were at the physio clinic the other day and no-one in their knew she was in with me (except my physio and one chap sitting in the waiting room) until we came out, the staff were all lined up as one of them had spotted four yellow paws sticking out under the cubicle curtain and after the initial surprise, realised they had a doggy visitor, so of course, they all wanted to say hello!

I always think it's quite amazing how gracious all our pups and dogs are when folk want to say hello and they always oblige (if it's not too distracting and they are working of course!). We practise going into a sit to say "hello" - and then it descends into chaos with puppy kisses and licks which I am trying to stop!

Here is a photo of Bonnie taken at the hairdresser

image.jpg4_zpsl9pd3env.jpg

Wishing all of you, from our home to yours, to our fabulous cyber friends and your most wonderful dogs, and to our "lurkers" too (you know who you are, even if we don't! ;):))

A VERY MERRY CHRISTMAS AND WISHING YOU ALL OUR VERY BEST WISHES AND ALL THE HAPPINESS FOR 2016

Max, Poppy, Bonnie and Aruba

image.jpg1_zpslkt4sdfq.jpg

The pictures of Bonnie are priceless!!!!! She brings a tear of joy to my eyes, she's so, so cute!

Only Fairbourne can make "shedding" sound so nice with the word "casting!" :p

And, what a colorful group you have, my dear. So gorgeous! Aruba has grown into quite the beauty hasn't she! ;)

Have a wonderful holiday and THANK YOU again and again for doing what you do for these precious beings!

Wexler and our last service dog have never been strapped in. We do have a harness from years ago but it makes the dog have to sit up and our dogs were never comfortable doing that. We have a big bench seat that they lay on. The new van will have something similar.

Wishing all of you, from our home to yours, to our fabulous cyber friends and your most wonderful dogs, and to our "lurkers" too (you know who you are, even if we don't! ;):))

A VERY MERRY CHRISTMAS AND WISHING YOU ALL OUR VERY BEST WISHES AND ALL THE HAPPINESS FOR 2016

Max, Poppy, Bonnie and Aruba

image.jpg1_zpslkt4sdfq.jpg

Oh my gosh - how cute are they! Merry Christmas!

Dianne

Dianne, she is such a beautiful dog. Really, what a great face. I don't use any harness of any kind in my car and NEVER have. Unfortunately, Horton and I have been in two car accidents and because he "honkers" down on the back seat, he NEVER fell off.

When the Highway Patrol Officer came up to my vehicle he said that he felt that a dog had a better chance of escaping a serious incident in a car if they were NOT strapped in. Who knows, what the right answer is. If the dog stays laying down and acts appropriately, I feel the same way!

The same thing with my first Service Dog Brenda. She also knew to stay low and press against the back of the seat.

I drive far distances and I drive a lot. With the way my dogs immediately lay down when I start moving......"knock on wood".......I feel very safe with them in the back seat without a harness.

Please, no surprises because I talked about it......PLEASE!!!!! :rolleyes:

I think its probably like everything else, it depends on the circumstances on what is safer. Henri is very good about staying in her seat in the back when we are in the car, I just wanted her to be safe at freeway speeds - I figure if I wouldn't let my kids ride without a seatbelt, Henri should have one too. I was worried about her flying out of the car in a high speed crash. If I was by myself I would not use it because I would not be able to get her out fast enough. The restraint we got is the sleepypod clickit sport and it allows her to lie down or sit up (we stopped every couple of hours to let her stretch her legs). It is the restraint recommended by the center for pet safety.

Dianne

I think its probably like everything else, it depends on the circumstances on what is safer. Henri is very good about staying in her seat in the back when we are in the car, I just wanted her to be safe at freeway speeds - I figure if I wouldn't let my kids ride without a seatbelt, Henri should have one too. I was worried about her flying out of the car in a high speed crash. If I was by myself I would not use it because I would not be able to get her out fast enough. The restraint we got is the sleepypod clickit sport and it allows her to lie down or sit up (we stopped every couple of hours to let her stretch her legs). It is the restraint recommended by the center for pet safety.

Dianne

Dianne, you do whatever you know works best for you and Henri. You're a wonderful Mommy and you have a plan for both of you.

Horton is such a scardy-cat, when I start to move the car he lays down and presses himself to the back of the seat with his eyes bugging out if I make even the tiniest of turns. He'd probably love it if I harnassed and buckled him in!

Cindra, it sounds like our little guy is finding a comfort zone. I hope so. The sea sure can show it's ugly side. I know, Horty and I saw it last week. I like the calm rolling motion.......that rocking & bouncing motion is not pleasant nor easy to navigate.

I hope the rest of your cruise has some enjoyment for all of you.

You said it, Roz! Theses finally calmed down last night, after St. Martin. Immigration was no problem in St. Martin. They didn't need to see the dog, just 7001 & rabies vaccination certificate. Was told to carry copies in port with us. Only encountered one wandering dog in the marketplace...he had a collar, but we picked Pedro up anyway.

Today, was a totally different scenario. We are in St. Kitts today. Had to appear with Pedro and all of my original paperwork. We were seen, but they told us we needed to send in for a permit months ago...not listed in their official website. Long story short, Pedro was denied entry. I got off the ship tiger a watch battery changed, and then it's right back to the ship. They don't want my dog, they don't get my tourist dollar. We will relax and enjoy the ship instead.

Pedro was sick for two days with seasickness. I gave him 1/8 of a Bonine tab the first day. He perked up, but with three days in a row of very rough seas, he needed a second dose. It worked again. Last night, we finally had calm seas, so he was fine.

Merry Christmas to you all from the Caribbean!

Cindra & Pedro

You said it, Roz! Theses finally calmed down last night, after St. Martin. Immigration was no problem in St. Martin. They didn't need to see the dog, just 7001 & rabies vaccination certificate. Was told to carry copies in port with us. Only encountered one wandering dog in the marketplace...he had a collar, but we picked Pedro up anyway.

Today, was a totally different scenario. We are in St. Kitts today. Had to appear with Pedro and all of my original paperwork. We were seen, but they told us we needed to send in for a permit months ago...not listed in their official website. Long story short, Pedro was denied entry. I got off the ship tiger a watch battery changed, and then it's right back to the ship. They don't want my dog, they don't get my tourist dollar. We will relax and enjoy the ship instead.

Pedro was sick for two days with seasickness. I gave him 1/8 of a Bonine tab the first day. He perked up, but with three days in a row of very rough seas, he needed a second dose. It worked again. Last night, we finally had calm seas, so he was fine.

Merry Christmas to you all from the Caribbean!

Cindra & Pedro

Cindra, thank you so much for the update on Pedro. You did a great job of taking care and helping him.

I think it's pretty stupid on the part of some of these ports to refuse us entry with all the paperwork proving that your dog is healthy and certainly immunized enough to board a 5 Star Floating Hotel.......They need to re-think their priorities.

I won't spend my money in a port that refuses my Service Dog entry. With the way most of these ports suffer without the tourist dollar, they need to do something about their process and procedures!

Some of us cruise on a last minute basis and don't have the time that they require for their ridiculous paperwork.

Ok Fairbourne - that is too much cuteness for just 2 photos...just showed my wife and she wants to know when we can drop by.

I said well it's a long way to just drop by...but you never know!:D

Happy Holidays and give all those pups a hug from us.

Sharing what Horton did yesterday........I have verticle blinds in my living room. It was a very dreary day, I was opening them up to let in as much sunlight as I could [but I didn't open the sliding glass door, yet!] Horton was sitting across the room watching me and as soon as the blinds were completely open he took a running leap, right into the sliding glass door! He's lived in this home for 4 years, he knows the sound of the door opening.....really!!!!!! What the heck was he thinking?

The sound that his head made hitting the glass door was like a sonic boom! I swear he was dazed. I ran over to him and sat on the floor holding him for a few minutes, examining his nose and head for any injuries. What a dork!!!!!

He's fine, but he scared the bejeebers out of me! I opened the slider and told him to go outside, it's okay now and he very, very gingerly, with head lowered, very slowly walking outside. Later, I opened the door again and he walked out without slowing or lowering his head.

I have decals on the door for the adults and children to see that the door is closed. Any suggestions for what to do for a dog? Do I put decals on the window, only lower?

I NEVER had a problem with Brenda knowing when the door was opened or shut. Any suggestions, anyone!

Edited by wizard-of-roz

Sharing what Horton did yesterday........I have verticle blinds in my living room. It was a very dreary day, I was opening them up to let in as much sunlight as I could [but I didn't open the sliding glass door, yet!] Horton was sitting across the room watching me and as soon as the blinds were completely open he took a running leap, right into the sliding glass door! He's lived in this home for 4 years, he knows the sound of the door opening.....really!!!!!! What the heck was he thinking?

The sound that his head made hitting the glass door was like a sonic boom! I swear he was dazed. I ran over to him and sat on the floor holding him for a few minutes, examining his nose and head for any injuries. What a dork!!!!!

He's fine, but he scared the bejeebers out of me! I opened the slider and told him to go outside, it's okay now and he very, very gingerly, with head lowered, very slowly walking outside. Later, I opened the door again and he walked out without slowing or lowering his head.

I have decals on the door for the adults and children to see that the door is closed. Any suggestions for what to do for a dog? Do I put decals on the window, only lower?

I NEVER had a problem with Brenda knowing when the door was opened or shut. Any suggestions, anyone!

Oh poor Horton, I am glad that he is okay. I don't have any helpful suggestions. Henri has broken two screen doors running into them! You would think she would be able to see the screen door.

Happy Holidays Roz!

Dianne & Henri

Dianne

Oh poor Horton, I am glad that he is okay. I don't have any helpful suggestions. Henri has broken two screen doors running into them! You would think she would be able to see the screen door.

Happy Holidays Roz!

Dianne & Henri

Dianne

Dianne, they're such characters aren't they? That stuffed Santa near your Christmas tree would be "toast" if Horton saw him!

I'm going to be very careful to keep the blinds open but not pulled back when he's in the living room.

Thank you so much for your good wishes. You and Henri are such a beautiful team!

It's Boxing Day in St. Vincent and everything is closed. Just as well, they don't allow dogs. Pedro and Bill are on the ship. I found some free wifi at the dock. I had him dressed in his nautical tux last night and the captain loved it. Christmas on board was different for us, but we had so much fun. I made stockings for our wait staff and cabin steward. Service got even better. LOL. Pedro is getting used to the sawdust in his potty box. He no longer lays down in it. Much better than the chunks of mulch that were bigger than him.

Got drenched on the dock. Trying to dry off in the breezeway. Pedro is safe and dry on board.

Check in later.

Cindra, thank you so much for posting the island scenarios. Pretty annoying about St. Kitts after all you did in advance. It's on our itinerary for a future cruise - not sure if I want to go through all the aggravation, but I've never been there and would like to be able to tour. Will have to investigate this mystery permit application, I guess, and then decide if it's worth it.

With all the wonderful doggie photos, Raylene has been pressing me to post one from her recent Fourth Birthday Cruise.

Here we are in the Sky Observation Lounge. Wasn't it nice of Celebrity to throw a party for hundreds of people in her honor? (Just kidding...it was the Captain's Club repeater event, but she seemed to enjoy it. One person asked me if she had her own Captain's Club number.)

P1090262Low%20Res_zpsu7ncxrfm.jpg