Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

well what an honor! and while i am not tall, i am dark-haired and i will promise not to be in your house before midnight! and i will definitely bring whiskey! and a certain chocolate lab (does that count as sweets?)and my lovely wife.

Happy New Year to everyone - we just got to the beach in NC where Dottie and Lucy are spending a month - me not so much, just a day or so.

edit - some excitement - i saw a flashlight swinging up and down the beach, Lucy started barking and some poor guy was looking for his lost dog. i grabbed a flashight and some dog biscuits and about 30 minutes later me, a cop and the guy were able to entice his poor pup back to the leash!

You did your good deed to start off the year! The owner must have been so relieved.

Which beach? (You may recall we lived just across the Rt. 58 bridge from Emerald Isle for years.)

You did your good deed to start off the year! The owner must have been so relieved.

Which beach? (You may recall we lived just across the Rt. 58 bridge from Emerald Isle for years.)

Hey Chris - we are staying at North Topsail - just a little south of Emerald Isle. Really quiet this time of the year.

Edited by alexspepa

Hey Chris - we are staying at North Topsail - just a little south of Emerald Isle. Really quiet this time of the year.

Winter is a special time - great beach walks, and you have it almost all to yourself! My first visit to the N.C. beaches was in January, early 1970s, when my brother was writing his thesis and living in a little rental house on the ocean at Emerald Isle.

Happy New Year Everyone!!

Sorry I haven't been around but I was off from work between Christmas and New Year. I really didn't get a chance to check in here. Now I will go back and see what I missed. Sutter was neutered this past Saturday. Didn't slow him down one bit. Hopefully it will in time.

Edited by DisneyKidsDad

Hello everyone

Cindra - Glad Pedro got over his seasickness - poor little toot, I feel for him, hope you have calm seas from now on and enjoy the rest of your cruise.

Dianne - Henri looks fabulous and very regal - looks like she's got the same coat as Aruba - that thick strong hair but soft at the same time that's just wonderful for ruffling your fingers through. I felt I could almost reach in and do that to her on the second photo! Oh but when they are casting, it's everywhere!

The comments about "pulling" ring true with us right now - Bonnie is a little crab - she will focus but really wants to explore what's going on to her left, to her right, which brings her across me and a big trip hazard, and then "ooh what's happening behind me, must just stop, do a little four paw tippy toe dance and turn round, twisting my lead and getting Mum all tangled up - ooh what fun, let's do it again!" - I imagine you're getting the idea! :rolleyes: But we are working very hard on concentrating and walking in a straight line. In fact it's one of the most important things the pup needs to learn -walk in a straight line and ignore distractions! We do try! But you are right, it's back to a start point and wait till you get the dog's attention - same if they pull, stop, wait and then they get bored and so we start again, and again, and again, and again. Patience is a virtue!

Bonnie does not like the car - well I should say she does not like going in the dog crate in the back of my car. She's been sick a couple of times, so she now goes in the passenger front footwell and she lays down on the floor on her mat and does not even try to get up on the seat. This is Ok for now as she is small enough that we don't need to worry about the airbag (causing injury to the dog) - but I found out you can disconnect the airbag - I didn't even know that you could do that, but it has to be done every journey. But if stops her being sick, then that's what we have to do. And when she's a working guide dog, she would be in the footwell of the car anyway, either in front or in the back. But there's lots of room in the front with the seat all the way back, so there will be plenty of room for her for a long while yet.

We will try again with the dog crate and put her in with Aruba for a short journey and build up to a longer time. I think often the small pups get car sick but she does "rear up" and "buck" when she sees my car!

Here is one car she did like though .......

image.jpg3_zpskz93vn8j.jpg

Oh...she is just too darn cute!!

Well, L.A. finally got "weather".......it's pouring here and it's been really cold. Although, this rain doesn't have the double punch of freezing temps with it.

I'm very thankful that for work and home I park underground behind locked gates and shelter. Of course, it doesn't help much when Horty and I have to go food shopping. And, I haven't had his nails cut since before the cruise. Thank goodness, it seems his nails don't grow as fast as in the summer months. Is that true?

Not to drag out the hair conversation but my hair doesn't do so well in the rain.......Hairspray hates dampness! :rolleyes:

I know there's some heavy snow and flooding in parts of our country.......stay safe everyone!

Well, L.A. finally got "weather".......it's pouring here and it's been really cold. Although, this rain doesn't have the double punch of freezing temps with it.

I'm very thankful that for work and home I park underground behind locked gates and shelter. Of course, it doesn't help much when Horty and I have to go food shopping. And, I haven't had his nails cut since before the cruise. Thank goodness, it seems his nails don't grow as fast as in the summer months. Is that true?

Not to drag out the hair conversation but my hair doesn't do so well in the rain.......Hairspray hates dampness! :rolleyes:

I know there's some heavy snow and flooding in parts of our country.......stay safe everyone!

Seems like it's feast or famine out there. Try to stay dry!

Seems like it's feast or famine out there. Try to stay dry!

Thanks Cindy. Well, not only did we get the downpour of rain but we also had an earthquake this morning. It was registered at 4.0, in the desert area and no damage or injuries. Geezzzz - Anything else......Never mind, just kidding!!!

Well, not only did we get the downpour of rain but we also had an earthquake this morning. It was registered at 4.0, in the desert area and no damage or injuries. Geezzzz - Anything else......Never mind, just kidding!!!

Saw on TV the pictures of LA area under water. I am thinking of you Roz and Horton. I hope you stay safe and dry. Didn't see anything about the earthquake. In our area we have the ice and rain, very slick roads. Lurker Susan

Well, not only did we get the downpour of rain but we also had an earthquake this morning. It was registered at 4.0, in the desert area and no damage or injuries. Geezzzz - Anything else......Never mind, just kidding!!!

Saw on TV the pictures of LA area under water. I am thinking of you Roz and Horton. I hope you stay safe and dry. Didn't see anything about the earthquake. In our area we have the ice and rain, very slick roads. Lurker Susan

Horton and I are very lucky. We live on the high ground, not so good for earth quakes but really good for rain run-off and no mud slides.

Although, we desperately need the rain I always feel so badly for the folks who live in the fire areas, hills and beneath the run-off areas. They can get deluged with mud and debris.

I hope that all our friends and family are safe and dry!

Happy safe and dry weekend to everyone!

I'm trying to find a "filler" cruise for June with the kids. They don't want to go to Mexico. I'm thinking about another Calif. Coastal, they've never done that or maybe Alaska. It can only be for 10 days or less.......Any suggestions? I think Carnival would be best for them...I'd love to try Disney but I don't think they go out of L.A.

I'm open for all ideas.

Happy safe and dry weekend to everyone!

I'm trying to find a "filler" cruise for June with the kids. They don't want to go to Mexico. I'm thinking about another Calif. Coastal, they've never done that or maybe Alaska. It can only be for 10 days or less.......Any suggestions? I think Carnival would be best for them...I'd love to try Disney but I don't think they go out of L.A.

I'm open for all ideas.

Take the August 15th Disney Alaska cruise out of Vancouver, BC.

It's a 7 day cruise. If I can fly to Vancouver from NJ, you can get

there from CA. :D

Take the August 15th Disney Alaska cruise out of Vancouver, BC.

It's a 7 day cruise. If I can fly to Vancouver from NJ, you can get

there from CA. :D

Now, that might be doable. Is this the one you're on? I'd have to ask the daughter and see if it doesn't interfere with her daughters basketball practice, etc. My Granddaughter wants to get into college on a basketball scholarship and she's pretty darn good.

Horton and Orson could finally meet. I hope she's up for it!

You may have to be on your best behavior for this one!!!

Now, that might be doable. Is this the one you're on? I'd have to ask the daughter and see if it doesn't interfere with her daughters basketball practice, etc. My Granddaughter wants to get into college on a basketball scholarship and she's pretty darn good.

Horton and Orson could finally meet. I hope she's up for it!

You may have to be on your best behavior for this one!!!

This is the one we are on. I have but one behavior left. And best aint it!! :rolleyes:

This is the one we are on. I have but one behavior left. And best aint it!! :rolleyes:

You crack me up! You're insane! :D

I'm going to present the idea to my kids next week....they're away now. I won't know until then......I'll let you know what they say.

I leave on my cruise two weeks from today. Jagger won't be going with me. The program felt he wasn't spot on yet. I respect their opinion.

We are making good progress though. He was having a problem with picking up objects. He'd pick them up but then drop them. He did well this last class so hopefully it was just a short glitch.

Looking forward to my cruise!

I leave on my cruise two weeks from today. Jagger won't be going with me. The program felt he wasn't spot on yet. I respect their opinion.

We are making good progress though. He was having a problem with picking up objects. He'd pick them up but then drop them. He did well this last class so hopefully it was just a short glitch.

Horton loves to pick things up but if I don't use the command "hold" after he's picked up something then he will immediately drop it. So, I have to say, "get", "good", "hold" and them be pretty quick about getting the object or he will promptly drop it! Some of our dogs have more sensitive mouths than others. Brenda would pick up an object and then make a goofy kind of head jerk......hold the object very tightly [but not so much that she'd leave teeth marks!]

You sure will be ready to cruise with Jagger when the time is right!!!

I hope you enjoy your cruise even though Jagger won't be able to go with you. I am sure that he will get to be proficient with picking things up soon. Henri is actually better at holding things now that she is home with me and we have gotten used to each other. I used to have to tell her to hold and try to get the object quickly before she dropped it, but now she holds onto it until I can reach it (although I think she wonders why I drop my cell phone and reading glasses so much).

Dianne

Thank you, I will enjoy my cruise. I'll have a bit more wine out on my veranda than I would have with Jagger there. (not that I'll overdo, it's just I'd be more careful with Jagger) Will spend extra time in the spa area.

I really need retrievals so hopefully it'll work out. Love that dog to the moon and back!

Thank you, I will enjoy my cruise. I'll have a bit more wine out on my veranda than I would have with Jagger there. (not that I'll overdo, it's just I'd be more careful with Jagger) Will spend extra time in the spa area.

I really need retrievals so hopefully it'll work out. Love that dog to the moon and back!

So sorry Mr. J can't go this time, Holly. Think if it as your advanced reconnaissance cruise. You can picture him with you in the future, and have a real-world setting to visualize using that balcony, doors, hallways, dining locations, etc together!