Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

Thank you, I will enjoy my cruise. I'll have a bit more wine out on my veranda than I would have with Jagger there. (not that I'll overdo, it's just I'd be more careful with Jagger) Will spend extra time in the spa area.

I really need retrievals so hopefully it'll work out. Love that dog to the moon and back!

Honestly, other than walking more while I'm traveling with Horton......NOTHING else changes about my behavior. I sleep in when I want [first he goes potty, eats his breakfast] and, I go back to sleep [love it!] I take my kindle and find a quiet spot [sometimes my balcony] and just read. Sometimes, I go to the Promenade Deck and just stare out to sea. All the time with Horton laying by my side.

It doesn't take long after you receive your dog partner for them to catch-on to your likes, dislikes and living patterns. I love that most about our dogs they know what makes us happy or not!

You'll find that your cruising/traveling patterns will be picked-up on by Jagger and soon you'll be doing the dance of the Service Dog!

Edited by wizard-of-roz

So sorry Mr. J can't go this time, Holly. Think if it as your advanced reconnaissance cruise. You can picture him with you in the future, and have a real-world setting to visualize using that balcony, doors, hallways, dining locations, etc together!

Visualization therapy......love it!!! :p

We too are cruising in a couple weeks. Let the stress begin!!

I'm really going to try to cut down the suitcases to 1 bag and one carryon since I won't have any help this trip. Don't know if it can be done. We'll see!

Cindy, when I was on my last which was 14 days I was so impressed by the people who were traveling with someone in a wheelchair and schlepping the bags themselves. When I got to meet them [because the ship was so small], there were wonderful opportunities to meet some really great folks and talk with them, and talk about how they do it.

I was told that they only bring clothes that can be rolled-up and made of fabric that doesn't wrinkle. They use one soft sided hanging bag for their formal wear [and, they always looked handsome and lovely on formal night.] The woman brought pants and different sparkly tops and the man wore the same suit for all three formal nights. They had one suitcase, one hanging bag and one roller type case that carried her makeup, jewelry and meds. She said she stopped bringing stuff that she rarely used or never really needed.

They stayed in a hotel close to the pier the night before and then took a shuttle the next morning. The shuttle driver helped with the wheelchair and the luggage. She checked everything except her purse and small rolling bag. And, Princess helped with wheeling her DH onto the ship.

She and her DH are booked on the 19 day cruise, that I'm on in November and I can't wait to see them both again.

I'm going to try some of her suggestions on my next cruise.

Of course, she didn't have a Service Dog to worry about. His food, toys, emergency stuff, etc.

Cindy, when I was on my last which was 14 days I was so impressed by the people who were traveling with someone in a wheelchair and schlepping the bags themselves. When I got to meet them [because the ship was so small], there were wonderful opportunities to meet some really great folks and talk with them, and talk about how they do it.

I was told that they only bring clothes that can be rolled-up and made of fabric that doesn't wrinkle. They use one soft sided hanging bag for their formal wear [and, they always looked handsome and lovely on formal night.] The woman brought pants and different sparkly tops and the man wore the same suit for all three formal nights. They had one suitcase, one hanging bag and one roller type case that carried her makeup, jewelry and meds. She said she stopped bringing stuff that she rarely used or never really needed.

They stayed in a hotel close to the pier the night before and then took a shuttle the next morning. The shuttle driver helped with the wheelchair and the luggage. She checked everything except her purse and small rolling bag. And, Princess helped with wheeling her DH onto the ship.

She and her DH are booked on the 19 day cruise, that I'm on in November and I can't wait to see them both again.

I'm going to try some of her suggestions on my next cruise.

Of course, she didn't have a Service Dog to worry about. His food, toys, emergency stuff, etc.

Those are some really great suggestions - I use many of them. I roll my clothes and I bring one pair of nice black pants for formal nights and several sparkly tops.

We got some great suitcases at Costco that have a suit compartment built in so that my husband can put his suit in his suitcase and doesn't need an extra garment bag.

Switching to the spinner wheels made a big difference - we bungee our two suitcases together and they are easy to move as one large suitcase. We went on a European cruise for 18 days last year with one suitcase for each of us and a backpack as our carry on. Now we will have to add a bag for Henri so it will be more of a challenge.

Dianne

Those are some really great suggestions - I use many of them. I roll my clothes and I bring one pair of nice black pants for formal nights and several sparkly tops.

We got some great suitcases at Costco that have a suit compartment built in so that my husband can put his suit in his suitcase and doesn't need an extra garment bag.

Switching to the spinner wheels made a big difference - we bungee our two suitcases together and they are easy to move as one large suitcase. We went on a European cruise for 18 days last year with one suitcase for each of us and a backpack as our carry on. Now we will have to add a bag for Henri so it will be more of a challenge.

Dianne

Horton's food was 28 bags [zip lock sandwich bags] of kibble [i sprayed two squirts of salmon oil and one chewable glucoscamine in each bag], two aluminum bowls, brush, toothbrush, toothpaste, ear meds, cotton balls, toys, collars. I put the collars and toys in my suitcase and carry on the food, meds and bowls.

In November it's going to be 38 zip lock bags. He eats a cup of kibble in the am and a cup in the pm. Wouldn't it be nice if there was a service that could deliver the food either already measured in bags or a large bag of exactly what your dog eats directly to the ship. There are so many variations of diets that each dog eats it would be impossible to do.

Let me know if you guys have heard of anything like this. There's not such a supply & demand for such a service, yet!

Dianne

I so agree about the spinner wheels -greatest thing since sliced bread. Never thought of a bungee-together - great idea!

I do the same thing with black pants and a few tops. I've noticed that at least two cruise lines no longer have formal nights as such. Celebrity ("Evening Chic" and Holland America ("Gala Nights") have relaxed their suggested dress codes. I'm a real traditionalist, and cruises were about the only place I had a chance to dress up a little, but I am fine with the changes.

It's harder any more to find attractive "gowns" other than mother-of-the-bride or prom night attire. And I never wear cocktail dresses back home. Florida is very casual.

People on board still dress nicely and those who want to do so can wear gowns and tuxedos. But Bob just took a blue blazer on our December cruise, no neckties. (Poor tux sits in the back of the closet!) We had much more space in our bags. Can probably eliminate a separate suitcase for Raylene in April.

Horton's food was 28 bags [zip lock sandwich bags] of kibble ... I put the collars and toys in my suitcase and carry on the food, meds and bowls...

I think I'll do that - put all the food baggies in my carry-on wheelie bag in April...I've been packing most of them - keeping just a couple of days' worth with the bowls in my carry on - but there's always that nagging voice saying - what if the bag gets lost?

Take the August 15th Disney Alaska cruise out of Vancouver, BC.

It's a 7 day cruise. If I can fly to Vancouver from NJ, you can get

there from CA. :D

My daughter is still checking with the coach to see if my granddaughter can get out of practice for the cruise. The coach told her that anyone who misses more than one practice will be sitting on the bench for the games! They're tough! We'll see.

I think I'll do that - put all the food baggies in my carry-on wheelie bag in April...I've been packing most of them - keeping just a couple of days' worth with the bowls in my carry on - but there's always that nagging voice saying - what if the bag gets lost?

Definitely my biggest fear is Horton's food not making it to the ship. His food isn't sold everywhere and you know what a dog with a sick stomach would be like on a cruise ship? No thank you! His food goes where I go and the same goes for his emergency ear meds. I would be in deep doo, doo if Horton got an ear infection while we were at sea. So, his ear meds and food are attached at my hip.

I once forgot my jewelry but NEVER forgot Horton's food and meds!!!

Hope you don't get a blizzard this year!!

Shame on you Chris!! No blizzard unless it's when we are away and we get stuck in Florida!!

I always put Wexler's food in Ziploc bags. I bag per day, 2 cosequin in each. I split the 2 meals and then I'm not asking if I fed him already.

No formal wear for this cruise. They do not have formal nights on NCL. So that means less clothing since I can wear shorts to dinner. This should cut my outfits in half. 1 pair of khakis for speciality dining and I'm done.

Definitely my biggest fear is Horton's food not making it to the ship. His food isn't sold everywhere and you know what a dog with a sick stomach would be like on a cruise ship? No thank you! His food goes where I go and the same goes for his emergency ear meds. I would be in deep doo, doo if Horton got an ear infection while we were at sea. So, his ear meds and food are attached at my hip.

Same here. Dog food, jewelry, our meds all go in carryon. Can't take chance of losing that stuff.

Shame on you Chris!! No blizzard unless it's when we are away and we get stuck in Florida!!

I always put Wexler's food in Ziploc bags. I bag per day, 2 cosequin in each. I split the 2 meals and then I'm not asking if I fed him already.

No formal wear for this cruise. They do not have formal nights on NCL. So that means less clothing since I can wear shorts to dinner. This should cut my outfits in half. 1 pair of khakis for speciality dining and I'm done.

Honestly, I wouldn't care if all cruise lines took away formal nights. As long as what people are wearing is clean, doesn't smell and their butts aren't hanging out I could care less about other's clothes.

actually you would probably be more likely to be in deep doo doo with the sick stomach scenario than the ear infection, but let's try to avoid both!:D

actually you would probably be more likely to be in deep doo doo with the sick stomach scenario than the ear infection, but let's try to avoid both!:D

So true!!! :eek:

Horton had an ear infection when I first got him in 2011 and had to have his ears lavaged [a tube put into his ears and medication poured in] until his poor ears bled. It was a nightmare. I promised I would NEVER put him through that again. And, he has NEVER had another ear infection.

So true!!! :eek:

Horton had an ear infection when I first got him in 2011 and had to have his ears lavaged [a tube put into his ears and medication poured in] until his poor ears bled. It was a nightmare. I promised I would NEVER put him through that again. And, he has NEVER had another ear infection.

Omggggggggggggg how awful. Wex had an ear infection when we were there. They said he didn't have one, but we disagreed and asked for the vet to look at him when the vet came in one day, never saw the vet. When we got home we took him to our vet right away. And guess what?? He had an ear infection. 😠

Edited by rangeley

I remember that photo of Wexler sitting in front of a massive snow bank! And your car being buried. But this year that won't happen.

That reminds me - I got busy recently, had not yet fed Raylene, ran out to get Chinese food, and we ate. About 7:30 p.m., we were watching TV, and she sat next to me with the most pitiful, mournful expression I've ever seen on that little doggie face. I kept asking Bob what she could possibly want...I thought maybe her water bowl was empty... and when I got up to fill it, it dawned on me. Bad Mom! (Don't anybody rat me out to Dogs for the Deaf!)

That reminds me - I got busy recently, had not yet fed Raylene, ran out to get Chinese food, and we ate. About 7:30 p.m., we were watching TV, and she sat next to me with the most pitiful, mournful expression I've ever seen on that little doggie face. I kept asking Bob what she could possibly want...I thought maybe her water bowl was empty... and when I got up to fill it, it dawned on me. Bad Mom! (Don't anybody rat me out to Dogs for the Deaf!)

Yeh! Like that would ever happen with Horton......He'd be ALL OVER me; in my face, nudging me with his head, his paws; he'd be drooling all over my lap and I'd not have a moments peace. Horton is a doggy-stop-watch when it comes to feeding time. Ten minutes before it's time to eat he's pacing the floor......:rolleyes:

Isn't Raylene a Lab? She sure stayed calm about missing her meal time!

Yeh! Like that would ever happen with Horton......He'd be ALL OVER me; in my face, nudging me with his head, his paws; he'd be drooling all over my lap and I'd not have a moments peace. Horton is a doggy-stop-watch when it comes to feeding time. Ten minutes before it's time to eat he's pacing the floor......:rolleyes:

Isn't Raylene a Lab? She sure stayed calm about missing her meal time!

Wexler too!! He knows all the times he's "due" something. Weekdays he eats morning and when john gets home. Weekends whenever we get up and then by 2:00 he's driving us nuts!!! And stare? He can out stare anyone. And after our dinner he gets a bully or chew. Not til his last time out does he settle down and knows he will get nothing else.

Edited by rangeley

Oh you're such a bad mummy! I laughed out loud reading this! :D

In our house Aruba is the time keeper! They get fed in the morning about 8 and then again in the evening, about 6pm, At about 5.59pm, Aruba comes and if I'm sitting in my recliner thinking that I will have to stop reading cruise critic and shift myself and get going and get supper organised, the way she leans against the side of the chair, she hits the reclining button and very quickly I'm reclining back and fore! :eek: or she will come and slap a "heavy" paw on my leg and give me "the look"! If I ignore her, or try to (;)) she will start with little squeals .... the others leave her to it, including Miss Bonnie.

But say the words "who wants (insert here Breakfast, Tea, biscuit, dentastix, or intact any word will do) " and they all come running!

Bonnie is the only one who gets "lunch" but they all come, in anticipation, and of course, you can't give one bairn without the others! So while Bonnie has her lunch, the others get a Boneo biscuit.

Creatures of habit, which is good for us as it makes them relatively easy to train! With food rewards of course!

Our last Guide dog trainer wouldn't let us use any dog treats for rewards at the training classes, but this new chap does and what a difference it makes! And we have to bring treats that we only use for training. Their usual treats don't work so well. To put it into human terms, just imagine how you would feel if you just got plain old jelly all the time for pudding, but if you get jelly with lovely thick double cream as a special treat, now you're talking! LOL!

We've had some awful weather with local folk flooded out, roads swept away, villages literally cut off, and a castle teetering on the banks of the river - never seen anything like it. Thankfully we live on a hill and not near a river.

Horton's food was 28 bags [zip lock sandwich bags] of kibble [i sprayed two squirts of salmon oil and one chewable glucoscamine in each bag], two aluminum bowls, brush, toothbrush, toothpaste, ear meds, cotton balls, toys, collars. I put the collars and toys in my suitcase and carry on the food, meds and bowls.

In November it's going to be 38 zip lock bags. He eats a cup of kibble in the am and a cup in the pm. Wouldn't it be nice if there was a service that could deliver the food either already measured in bags or a large bag of exactly what your dog eats directly to the ship. There are so many variations of diets that each dog eats it would be impossible to do.

Let me know if you guys have heard of anything like this. There's not such a supply & demand for such a service, yet!

The first cruise we are going on with Henri will in October. Luckily we are leaving from San Francisco (near where we live) and we will be dropped off at the ship. It will be easy to load her food for 18 days onto the ship.

One of us should start the dog food delivery service!

Dianne

Curious about the cosequin. Is that someone CCI recommended or was it your vet? The only thing Henri takes is the fish oil capsules that CCI had her on.

Dianne