Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

Glad that you enjoyed the cruise Cindy. I hate those carts in the hallways - so hard to get around and there is one every ten feet! I don't understand why it is so hard to get the potty box in a good location, even if you have someone to help you, you need to be able to get to it if you are in a wheelchair. We have an extra large aft balcony on our Panama cruise in October, I hope they let us have the box there.

That's disappointing about American. JetBlue was great for us too. I am trying to figure out a good alternative for us to get from Fort Lauderdale to SFO since the JetBlue flight is too early. I don't want to be stuck on a six-hour flight with no room for Henri.

Dianne

Dianne: Once I boarded the Pacific Princess, this past Dec., I saw where the potty box was placed and hated it. I went to the Hotel Director [this was the very first day] and asked that it be moved to my veranda. At first they weren't happy but I begged them and it was moved right after lunch. It was so easy [except the darn tree bark that they used for the filler, it was perfect!]

If I had brought the artificial turf, I would have covered the stuff and Horton would have loved it. I tried to break the stuff up as much as I could and the thicker I made it the better it was. Horton stepped through it mighty lightly though!!!!

Cindy and John did not have a veranda but it seems the box was placed close by. If John were alone, he would not have been able to open the heavy door. Cindy probably did it! What a good wife!!!!

Glad that you enjoyed the cruise Cindy. I hate those carts in the hallways - so hard to get around and there is one every ten feet! I don't understand why it is so hard to get the potty box in a good location, even if you have someone to help you, you need to be able to get to it if you are in a wheelchair. We have an extra large aft balcony on our Panama cruise in October, I hope they let us have the box there.

That's disappointing about American. JetBlue was great for us too. I am trying to figure out a good alternative for us to get from Fort Lauderdale to SFO since the JetBlue flight is too early. I don't want to be stuck on a six-hour flight with no room for Henri.

Dianne

How is Southwest? The last I knew, they ran a non- stop from SFO to STL and then non-stop from STL to FLL. Would that be any better? They have their own Terminal in STL that is not very big, and would break up the trip.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Scooter is going to make someone fall madly in love with him! Have fun with him......he looks like he's going to be a very big boy!!!!

He was actually smaller than many of his brothers, and mom and dad are on the small side for the breed.

He is being so good! First vet visit was this morning and he was a trouper. He didn't even flinch at his shot!

Guess who?! Wow, I had twenty pages of this thread to read! I wanted to come on the boards to see what people are saying about the crazy Royal Caribbean ship that went through the wild storm - I can't imagine being on that one!!! And I am sure none of our dogs would enjoy it!

I am glad some of you have had great cruises! We're doing well here.

How is Southwest? The last I knew, they ran a non- stop from SFO to STL and then non-stop from STL to FLL. Would that be any better? They have their own Terminal in STL that is not very big, and would break up the trip.

I haven't flown on Southwest with my service dog yet, but I think the room in their bulkhead is reasonable. Their schedule for October isn't out yet; I am keeping my fingers crossed that they will have something on their schedule that will work. I will check out the STL connection. Thanks.

Dianne

Dianne: Once I boarded the Pacific Princess, this past Dec., I saw where the potty box was placed and hated it. I went to the Hotel Director [this was the very first day] and asked that it be moved to my veranda. At first they weren't happy but I begged them and it was moved right after lunch. It was so easy [except the darn tree bark that they used for the filler, it was perfect!]

I wish I could take you with me Roz! I know that I could then be sure to get the box in the right spot. I will have my husband to help me, but it would be nice (and not an unreasonable request) if I could take her by myself if needed.

I am definitely considering taking the artificial turf with us since we can drive to the port in San Francisco. It would be nice if the cruise lines would use that instead of the various fillers.

Dianne

Guess who?! Wow, I had twenty pages of this thread to read! I wanted to come on the boards to see what people are saying about the crazy Royal Caribbean ship that went through the wild storm - I can't imagine being on that one!!! And I am sure none of our dogs would enjoy it!

Glad you are well Quam!!

I haven't flown on Southwest with my service dog yet, but I think the room in their bulkhead is reasonable. Their schedule for October isn't out yet; I am keeping my fingers crossed that they will have something on their schedule that will work. I will check out the STL connection. Thanks.

Dianne

According to my service dog trainers at Leashes for Living Assistance Dog School, Southwest is one of the best airlines to fly. My dog is huge (95 pounds, 24" high, 36" around the body, over 40" long) and they said he'll fit just fine in the bulkhead.

Hi Quam, glad you're doing well.

I've been onboard ships that felt like they were being bounced around like a small toy.

I like some movement but there's only so much anyone can take.

I swear the captain onboard the Pacific Princess [my last cruise] was acting like a speed racer through some very large currents. I don't know if it's best to stand still and wait until the current changes or to try and speed your way through it.

I'm glad no one was hurt badly!

So Friday we are going out to Long Island for the CCI graduation. We have two friends that are turning their pups in for advanced training. Another friend who has a dog he raised graduating. And the family who raised Orson, also raised Davis's brother, Dax. He is graduating too!! So it should be a very emotional day. Then the crappy ride home! :mad:

I wish I could take you with me Roz! I know that I could then be sure to get the box in the right spot. I will have my husband to help me, but it would be nice (and not an unreasonable request) if I could take her by myself if needed.

I am definitely considering taking the artificial turf with us since we can drive to the port in San Francisco. It would be nice if the cruise lines would use that instead of the various fillers.

Dianne

We'd have so much fun and the dogs would love each other!

As long as you're driving to the dock take the turf. Just roll it up and keep it in place with large rubber bands at each end. You can either leave it behind when you disembark or spray it off in the shower and roll it up into a large plastic bag and take it home.

According to my service dog trainers at Leashes for Living Assistance Dog School, Southwest is one of the best airlines to fly. My dog is huge (95 pounds, 24" high, 36" around the body, over 40" long) and they said he'll fit just fine in the bulkhead.

The problem is Southwest doesn't go everywhere.......I wish they did!

So Friday we are going out to Long Island for the CCI graduation. We have two friends that are turning their pups in for advanced training. Another friend who has a dog he raised graduating. And the family who raised Orson, also raised Davis's brother, Dax. He is graduating too!! So it should be a very emotional day. Then the crappy ride home! :mad:

You will need lots of Kleenex for this one!!!!

Sick as a dog since Sunday. Ugh at least this nasty cold waited til I got back.

Sure hope it's not Wex you are referring to as being sick! [:rolleyes:]

Edited by Host Walt

Sure will Cindy. We have to ask her what the waiting list is like for a successor dog. We are thinking about putting in Orson's paperwork when we get back from Alaska. :(

You won't be sorry that you're doing it early. I'm so, so glad that I applied for Horton when I did. The timing was perfect.

Just yesterday I was asking him if he remembered Brenda and Morey? He was staring at the couch that Brenda claimed as "hers" and it just looked like he was wondering where was that beautiful Black English Lab that ALWAYS laid on that couch.

My chair sits right next to the couch and I'd lean over and hold her paw while we watched T.V. together. I sure do miss her. I'm so glad that I took so many videos of her. I watch them all the time while I'm at work......it tugs at my heart and makes me tear and then I find myself smiling. We had such a wonderful life together.....She sits right on the edge of my heart between my soul and my conscience ♥

You won't be sorry that you're doing it early. I'm so, so glad that I applied for Horton when I did. The timing was perfect.

Just yesterday I was asking him if he remembered Brenda and Morey? He was staring at the couch that Brenda claimed as "hers" and it just looked like he was wondering where was that beautiful Black English Lab that ALWAYS laid on that couch.

My chair sits right next to the couch and I'd lean over and hold her paw while we watched T.V. together. I sure do miss her. I'm so glad that I took so many videos of her. I watch them all the time while I'm at work......it tugs at my heart and makes me tear and then I find myself smiling. We had such a wonderful life together.....She sits right on the edge of my heart between my soul and my conscience ♥

As soon as we start to get ready to go out, Orson is right there ready to get dressed to go. But he is starting to have trouble keeping up when we are walking and he is starting to think twice before doing some of the things he needs to do when we are out.

He will be close to 11 when he finally retires. Just not looking forward to spending 2 weeks at CCI again.

As soon as we start to get ready to go out, Orson is right there ready to get dressed to go. But he is starting to have trouble keeping up when we are walking and he is starting to think twice before doing some of the things he needs to do when we are out.

He will be close to 11 when he finally retires. Just not looking forward to spending 2 weeks at CCI again.

Yep! Brenda didn't want to go into my SUV anymore without a ramp and she didn't like the shiny floors at the market anymore, too hard to walk on. She was 10 1/2 when she retired.

The time I spent at CCI getting Horton was so worth it. I got very lucky to get him!!!! Such a handsome boy!

Hi everyone,

Ok, so I need to tell you a story about my service dog Duncan, and I just hope that I am not the only person this craziness has happened too.

For months I have been getting frazzled with Duncan when we are out and about as he seems "lazy" to me when I want him tell him to pull my wheelchair. And I am not talking up a steep incline either.

I contacted his trainer who came to the house and within a few minutes he figured out the problem.

This is where my dunce cap gets put on. On Duncan's harness he has a pull strap but I do not use it, as it gets very painful to have my hand closed tight on the leather, so I tuck my whole hand inside his harness between his shoulder blades and I hold on here. Well it appears I was giving him 2 commands at the same time, to pull/go and my holding on /tugging on his harness was a command to slow/stop.

OMG, I felt lower than pond scrum when his trainer explained the conflicting commands. Now this explains why sometimes I would get this crazy look from Duncan. So tomorrow we both go back to college ( haven't been there in 20 yrs) and we will be taught new options to work around my decreasing arm/hand functions.

On the plus side his trainer was very pleased on other skills that Duncan has learned over the past 10 months.

We finally have a cruise selected for November thru the southern Caribbean for 14 days. So next week I start all his paperwork so he will come on his first cruise. Yippie !!

Goodnight, Duncan's mom