Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

Hey - is everyone but me on a cruise or something?...:confused:

We're here, just busy with work and life!

Just an observation but it seems that Horton is very unhappy with my SUV.....in terms of climbing into it. He doesn't really jump in, he steps into it!

I can remember when Brenda hit 8 years [Horton will be 8 on April 29th) she was not so happy about jumping into the back seat. Although she was much shorter than Horton and it was quite a leap for her. I got a really nice ramp that "wands" into itself so that it can be made easy to walk up and has a rough surface so it's not slippery. I keep it in the back cargo area and it looks like I may need to introduce Horton to it sooner than later! Stepping out of the back seat is just an easy step down for him. I'm going to keep an eye on this new discovery and see if he's ready for the ramp.

He has no problem jumping onto my bed, which is very tall.....so, maybe it's just him not wanting to go into the car. We'll see.

I have a cruise in December, with my daughter, to Hawaii and I'm starting to look into what the requirements [most recent one's] will be for Horton. I'll let you know what I find out. It leaves out of L.A. and returns to L.A. [My favorite kind of cruising!]

Our weather here is in the high 70's and just glorious, until we get the next rainfall which looks like it's going to be Thursday and Friday. So much fun to actually have "weather" here in L.A.

I leave in 5 DAYS for our next cruise. This means things are totally nuts at work and I had a new long term project dropped into my lap to begin. Tonight after work is laundry and start packing.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Barb, one of my favorite things prior to cruising is the anticipation of it all! Nothing like it! Remind us where you're going, on what ship and for how long?

We will be gone for 2 weeks on the Celebrity Eclipse, down to the ABC islands then working our way back up. Can't wait!

Scooter will be with my mom. My son stopped by to play with him and complained that he would miss the dog while we were gone. :) Had to laugh at that. We've seen more of him the last few months than all of last year. He comes to play with the dog.

We will be gone for 2 weeks on the Celebrity Eclipse, down to the ABC islands then working our way back up. Can't wait!

Scooter will be with my mom. My son stopped by to play with him and complained that he would miss the dog while we were gone. :) Had to laugh at that. We've seen more of him the last few months than all of last year. He comes to play with the dog.

What a wonderful cruise. I love Celebrity. I can't wait until you're actually cruising with Scooter. That's when the fun will really begin!

Happy packing!

I look forward to a review...we are doing a similar itinerary in October on the Equinox. I hope you have a great cruise!

Speaking of warm,thinking of booking a partial canal cruise such as yours last year.

Holding me back is how Horton and other dogs on past canal and Southern cruises survive the heat and humidity.

Your wisdom and experience is appreciated. Also to justify an ISO chip for a few hours in one port .

I don't like it either. I don't think it's actually browser-related, but who knows?

I use Safari on the Tablet and Chrome on the desktop, and the tablet has gone back & forth between new version and old. Never know what to expect when I open it.

The desktop still shows the old version.

The fact that I have to log in every time I want to respond on the Boards is annoying enough! I haven't seen the new Boards yet, at least I don't think so!

Speaking of warm,thinking of booking a partial canal cruise such as yours last year.

Holding me back is how Horton and other dogs on past canal and Southern cruises survive the heat and humidity.

Your wisdom and experience is appreciated. Also to justify an ISO chip for a few hours in one port .

It was not only hot when we went in November but the humidity made it unbearable to be outside for any long length of time with Horton. When we went up to the Sanctuary to enjoy the canal from a cabana I had to put a wet towel on Horton's head, he just looked miserable! I didn't spend a lot of time outside with him, I didn't have the heart to make him go too far. Not only is he black but he has a double coat of fur!

It never hurts to have the chip for other travels that you might take in the future and it is a requirement for some of the ports you enter, even if you don't get off the ship!

When and where you travel with your Service Dog is very important for their comfort and safety and MUST always be considered.

If you can visit ports and safely leave your dog behind with family or friends that is truly my recommendation. I can separate from Horton and be on my own [not as well or as easily] but for short periods of time, it's doable! For some of us who have SD's separating from their dog can be impossible.

It's definitely a thought process that ALWAYS MUST be considered; "is the destination safe for our dogs?"

It was extremely hot and humid on our Panama Canal cruise in October. I bought a cooling collar and carried ice with us to give my dog. We tried not to spend long periods away from the air conditioning. We skipped getting off the ship in a couple of ports because it was just too hot. Going through the Panama Canal was an amazing experience that I would highly recommend.

This isn't cruise-related, but is travel-related. For months I've been booking arrangements for a long RV trip this summer (I write RV travel articles for a magazine, so always plan and book every detail way ahead).

Two things I booked last week actually had a check-box where you could indicate you are bringing a service animal as part of your space reservation. One was for the famous Red Bus "Jammer" tours in Glacier National Park, and the other was for the YARTS (Yosemite Area Regional Transportation) bus into the park.

Obviously there was no charge and it was just nice to see the option to register that info into their systems for a change.

This isn't cruise-related, but is travel-related. For months I've been booking arrangements for a long RV trip this summer (I write RV travel articles for a magazine, so always plan and book every detail way ahead).

Two things I booked last week actually had a check-box where you could indicate you are bringing a service animal as part of your space reservation. One was for the famous Red Bus "Jammer" tours in Glacier National Park, and the other was for the YARTS (Yosemite Area Regional Transportation) bus into the park.

Obviously there was no charge and it was just nice to see the option to register that info into their systems for a change.

Every time I see a reference to a "Service Dog" displayed on a window of a business or on an application or magazine article my eyes get wider, a smile comes on my face and my interest perks.

Service Dogs are still NOT the norm in our society and they've been around for over 40 years.......And, the public either really loves them or really hates them!!!!

Looking forward to reading your articles and seeing Bob's pics!

I think Raylene and Horton and the other SD's on this site should get a blog together; also include the puppys in training! They could post pics and issues they run into as they navigate life for their owners...from a Dog's point of view. There is clearly enough writing talent on this thread to make it happen.

Expand this thread past cruising to everyday life...I mean this in the best way - you guys are the first thing I log onto each day.

We'll be in Alaska with my husband's diabetic alert dog. I'm a little concerned about shore excursions - will we be able to bring him on the excursions? I figure the ones based in the US ports we should be ok. But what about when we're in Victoria? Or if when we're in Skagway and want to do the White Pass Railway tour that has a stop in Canada?

Will our cruise line (Princess) be able to answer these questions since we're booking the excursions through them? I'd like to think so, but.... :-)

Thanks in advance!

We'll be in Alaska with my husband's diabetic alert dog. I'm a little concerned about shore excursions - will we be able to bring him on the excursions? I figure the ones based in the US ports we should be ok. But what about when we're in Victoria? Or if when we're in Skagway and want to do the White Pass Railway tour that has a stop in Canada?

Will our cruise line (Princess) be able to answer these questions since we're booking the excursions through them? I'd like to think so, but.... :-)

Thanks in advance!

When we did the White Pass railroad three years ago, we took our daughters service dog with us with no issues. We only went up to the Canada border and turned around though. We did a Whale watch in Juneau and also had no issues with the dog. Make sure you check with your cruise line in advance though. You may also want to try and contact the tour operators directly if you can.

We were on Holland America in Alaska in September and I gave the Access Dept. a list of tours we booked. On one bus tour, there was a "Reserved" sign with my name on a seat in the front, which was helpful, so I know they passed on the info to the tour operators. Elsewhere, nothing was pre-arranged but no one ever hassled us.

I agree with DFD - try to identify the tour operator and then contact and check their websites. All of the wildlife boat tours I chose made specific mention online of including service dogs.

The one I'd be sure to investigate and confirm would be flight seeing because of the tight space in a small plane. (We had been before in pre-dog days so didn't book.)

From a service dog partner standpoint, Alaska cruises are a breeze compared to so many foreign ports. No permit hoops to jump through - just get the Form 7001 Health Certificate and take it along, of course with the current rabies certificate.

So we only have two more days with Sutter and he's off to college. He will be missed. And we're not sure if we are returning Tommen back to his original puppy raisers on Friday. If not then we'll keep him for however long they need us to. If he does go back on Friday then we may get an 8 week old puppy to "start" for another puppy raiser that can't take a dog so young. And hopefully we will be in team training for the may class!! Never a dull moment around here. Oh yeah...we're supposed to get somewhere between 5 & 10 inches of snow tomorrow. :mad:

Have you been to Yosemite before? This year the falls will be spectacular due to all the rain we have been getting.

Dianne