Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

We'll be in Alaska with my husband's diabetic alert dog. I'm a little concerned about shore excursions - will we be able to bring him on the excursions? I figure the ones based in the US ports we should be ok. But what about when we're in Victoria? Or if when we're in Skagway and want to do the White Pass Railway tour that has a stop in Canada?

Will our cruise line (Princess) be able to answer these questions since we're booking the excursions through them? I'd like to think so, but.... :-)

Thanks in advance!

As was said going to Alaska is a breeze. The White Pass Railway will NOT give you any hassles at all. Brenda laid in the aisle next to where I was seated and never moved the whole way.

The only problem we had was going into the Burchard Gardens [in Victoria]. A docent from the gardens literally followed us around until he felt that my dog was truly going to behave well and I wouldn't let her go potty. It's really challenging for a dog to be exposed to so many smells and sights and maintain their self control. We did fine but it wasn't easy!!!

We also did the tramway to the Inuit Indian presentation. So much fun!

So we only have two more days with Sutter and he's off to college. He will be missed. And we're not sure if we are returning Tommen back to his original puppy raisers on Friday. If not then we'll keep him for however long they need us to. If he does go back on Friday then we may get an 8 week old puppy to "start" for another puppy raiser that can't take a dog so young. And hopefully we will be in team training for the may class!! Never a dull moment around here. Oh yeah...we're supposed to get somewhere between 5 & 10 inches of snow tomorrow. :mad:

You never cease to amaze me with your passion for taking on the puppies. I know I'd love it [for a day], I'm not so sure I could withstand all the challenges of more than that!

It's sure a great way to heal a broken heart!!!!

Good luck with the approaching storm that is the talk of all the network news and late night talk shows.

I hope all of our eastern friends survive the bitter cold and snow storms!!!!

Yes, been there but decades ago, and I'm really looking forward to seeing the falls. I've been hearing that they should be great in May when we're there!

Yes, May will be spectacular. Be prepared for crowds, the last time we were there was in May - there were people everywhere!

Dianne

Well, I'm seeing and using the new format. I know the feeling is that the simpler things are kept the easier it will be in the long run, but sometimes it does something to the esthetics of it all!!!

It doesn't really matter.......I love you all and no matter what the format, I'm here to stay!!!! As was mentioned, I, too, start my day with you.......YOU are my morning cup of coffee! ♥

Greetings from Aruba! Our cruise on the Celebrity Eclipse is going well. We walked around Bonaire on Wednesday and I found a store that sold Berkinstocks for about half what I paid for my last pair. :)

On Curacao I had booked a room at the Hilton to enjoy their beach. Turns out I made the right move. The public beach had way too many people and mot enough chairs. The chair sellers would resell a chair if you got up for just a moment. A guy was complaining that he got up to use the restroom and his chair was resold when he came back. We were in port from 8am until 11pm, but went back to the ship at 5:30.

Today we booked a room at the Renaissance (Marriott) to use their private island. We have an overnight, so we have today and tomorrow to use it. Plus, it is only 700 meters from the port.

The ship is nice, and we are enjoying ourselves. Mom said Scooter is sticking to her like glue, so that means he isn't misbehaving. I was a little worried about that! Glad I didn't nees to. He is even listening to her commands, so another plus.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

HI I have tried reading a lot of your post to learn as much as I can about cruising with a service dog and it's almost impossible. I was wondering if any of you experienced travelers have a website or something that list tips on traveling with service dog such as what to pack, what areas to stay away from, ect.

thanks in advance

Greetings from Aruba! Our cruise on the Celebrity Eclipse is going well. We walked around Bonaire on Wednesday and I found a store that sold Berkinstocks for about half what I paid for my last pair. :)

On Curacao I had booked a room at the Hilton to enjoy their beach. Turns out I made the right move. The public beach had way too many people and mot enough chairs. The chair sellers would resell a chair if you got up for just a moment. A guy was complaining that he got up to use the restroom and his chair was resold when he came back. We were in port from 8am until 11pm, but went back to the ship at 5:30.

Today we booked a room at the Renaissance (Marriott) to use their private island. We have an overnight, so we have today and tomorrow to use it. Plus, it is only 700 meters from the port.

The ship is nice, and we are enjoying ourselves. Mom said Scooter is sticking to her like glue, so that means he isn't misbehaving. I was a little worried about that! Glad I didn't nees to. He is even listening to her commands, so another plus.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Barb, it sounds like you are truly having a wonderful time! Enjoy!

When I first started reading your post, I thought it was greetings from "Aruba" our black beauty in Scotland!

HI I have tried reading a lot of your post to learn as much as I can about cruising with a service dog and it's almost impossible. I was wondering if any of you experienced travelers have a website or something that list tips on traveling with service dog such as what to pack, what areas to stay away from, ect.

thanks in advance

It is a bit lengthy, I will agree!

Pack:

1. Feeding/water bowls, individual baggies with measured kibble, vitamin, and squirts of salmon oil in each back. [My dog eats twice a day].

2. Extra collars, leashes, formal attire [my dog has a tuxedo and colorful collars.

3. Toys [bring favorite chew toys, balls, etc.].

4. Dog Bed [i buy a cheapy dog bed, roll it up, secure with strong tape and bring it along. I leave it behind when I disembark. I drive to the port [no more flying for me] so it's easy to bring as much as I want. If you're flying to the port, just have the Steward bring you extra blankets and make a dog bed. Or, use the couch in your stateroom, or, have your dog sleep with you. Whatever works best for both of you.

5. Grooming supplies and emergency meds. I bring extra ear meds, cotton balls, cortisone cream and Benadryl lotion and liquid.

6.Vet's paperwork - Aphis 7001 form [at least 2 copies.]

Before you enter a beach do check for sand fleas, hot sand, sharp objects and stray dogs.

Stray dogs can be problematic in a lot of foreign ports.....BE CAREFUL!

The crew onboard the ship have been away from their pets for many months and will want to interact with your dog. My suggestion is to remind them not to make silly noises at your dog or approach your dog without asking first. Some fellow passengers can be very assertive with your dog as well. A friendly reminder to them is all you need. "Please ask before touching!"

You will be bombarded with questions about what your dog does for you, try and be patient and answer their questions allowing yourself lots of time to go from one venue to another.

When you're in the dining room try to find an area against a window or a wall so that the serving staff will not accidentally trip over or step on your dog.

Be careful in the dark lounges or theatres, again, try to find an area away from areas where other people will need to walk or wheel their wheel chairs.

Be careful of the decking around the pool area, it can get boiling hot and your dog will burn it's paws if you don't move quickly over it or find an area of shade to walk in.

I hope some of this helps. I'm sure others will come on and fill in whatever I've missed!

Most importantly DO cruise with your dog. It's an amazing experience and keeps your life full and enriched!

have you ever had problems with sea sickness with your dog?

I've traveled with two Service Dogs since 2002 and neither one of them had any problems [at least not that I could see] with either car sickness or sea sickness.

When CCI is interviewing you for one of their dogs, one of their most important questions is, "what do you expect from your dog?" My wish was to have a dog partner who travelled well. This means on all kinds of transportation; land, sea and air.

If your dog does develop any kind of motion sickness I've heard that ginger helps with this. I'd ask my Vet how to administer it first [and, in what form.]

Sounds like you are having a great time - I am sure that you are missing Scooter. Enjoy the rest of your cruise.

Dianne

have you ever had problems with sea sickness with your dog?

Your Vet can give you a prescription for sea sickness medicine for your dog or can give you the proper dosage of bonine (or other sea sickness medication). My dog has not gotten sea sick, but I take the medication with us just in case.

thanks in advance

Hi - I don't own a Service Dog but I am a long-time lurker on this thread - I think Roz would also tell you that as soon as you board check out your dog's relief area and if you don't like the location or the box and stuff in it make them correct it right away...be persistent and go to the top if need be.

I've traveled with two Service Dogs since 2002 and neither one of them had any problems [at least not that I could see] with either car sickness or sea sickness.

When CCI is interviewing you for one of their dogs, one of their most important questions is, "what do you expect from your dog?" My wish was to have a dog partner who travelled well. This means on all kinds of transportation; land, sea and air.

If your dog does develop any kind of motion sickness I've heard that ginger helps with this. I'd ask my Vet how to administer it first [and, in what form.]

Thank you! She's traveled all over in car with no problems. Thinking about doing a dinner cuise in our are just to see how she does.

Sent from my SM-J700P using Forums mobile app

Hi - I don't own a Service Dog but I am a long-time lurker on this thread - I think Roz would also tell you that as soon as you board check out your dog's relief area and if you don't like the location or the box and stuff in it make them correct it right away...be persistent and go to the top if need be.

This is a MUST!!!! Before I do anything else, I check the box! Remember, every ship has a Hotel Manager, get to know him or her!

Thank you! She's traveled all over in car with no problems. Thinking about doing a dinner cuise in our are just to see how she does.

Sent from my SM-J700P using Forums mobile app

That's a great idea! Remember, when you're trying new stuff and environments with your dog to always be positive and don't forget to give extra pats or treats for good behavior!

Sutter is a very handsome dog.

I remember after Brenny passed, there were spaces and corners in my home that had the most eerie echoes of her on the couch, laying by my chair and the clicking of her nails on the floor. Oh, those heavy sighs when she'd first lay down and her barking in her sleep, God, I missed her so!

Once you've had one of these remarkable beings in your home and you've lost them or turned them in, the deafening quiet can take your breath away!

DKD, soon those familiar noises will be back and the smiles and joy of it all will seep right back to fill your heart again ♥