Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

Well, Horton is off to have his teeth cleaned today.....they wanted me to drop him off at 8:30am so that they could prep him for anesthesia. I asked that they try to do the cleaning without it and reminded them that he was a Service Dog and would take direction and cooperate with them. I touch, talk, examine his ears, eyes, mouth every day. So, he's used to it and stays very calm and cooperative. They said they'd try it without medication.

I don't like subjecting him to anesthetic if he doesn't need it. I've heard too many horror stories!

Well, Horton is off to have his teeth cleaned today.....they wanted me to drop him off at 8:30am so that they could prep him for anesthesia. I asked that they try to do the cleaning without it and reminded them that he was a Service Dog and would take direction and cooperate with them. I touch, talk, examine his ears, eyes, mouth every day. So, he's used to it and stays very calm and cooperative. They said they'd try it without medication.

Let us know how Horton does - I don't really want to put my dog under anesthesia either unless its absolutely necessary.

Dianne

Let us know how Horton does - I don't really want to put my dog under anesthesia either unless its absolutely necessary.

Dianne

Our trip to the Vet: The nurse came to the waiting area and took him with her.....he likes the doctors office and is always happy when there's lots of other dogs he can visit with. Brenda HATED the vet's office, she would shiver and shake like someone had beheaded her there once. And, she was NOT a dog lover! :rolleyes:

It took about 20 minutes and back he came with a very wet looking mouth and some very clean looking teeth. Not nearly as white as CCI made them when I first got him but definitely cleaner than when we came in. He had tartar on his back molars and that was gone. Horton will be 8 on his next birthday [April 29th] and I want him to go into the next phase of his life with as few medical issues as possible. I'm hoping that preventative maintenance will pay off in the long run.

He's looking pretty sharp with his clean teeth and trimmed nails! ;)

I've been told, and have told my kids, that one should keep one's distance from service dogs so as not to distract them from doing their job. Is that true? Would it be bad form to ask the dog's master if you can say hello and give it a pat?

I'm really asking on behalf of my 12yo who loves dogs and always wants to go up to them and love them up... I do believe she would actually pay to be able to take them on walks if there are any on our cruise!

I've been told, and have told my kids, that one should keep one's distance from service dogs so as not to distract them from doing their job. Is that true? Would it be bad form to ask the dog's master if you can say hello and give it a pat?

I'm really asking on behalf of my 12yo who loves dogs and always wants to go up to them and love them up... I do believe she would actually pay to be able to take them on walks if there are any on our cruise!

What a great question. Thank you for posting it. Yes, it is very true and thank you so much for teaching your children appropriate Service Dog etiquette. It could actually be very dangerous to the handler and dog if you were to distract the dog from it's duties.

It is the best of form to ask the handler if you may pat their dog. Please wait until the dog and the handler are stopped and appear to be standing still.

I allow for patting and sometimes even walking Horton by other passengers, while we're onboard. Of course, I'm always very careful to instruct them on what directives to give and how to properly hold the leash.

Horton adores children and will take direction and be a perfect gentleman to the smallest of humans.

I hope that we will cross paths onboard a cruise one day and please don't hesitate to ask to pat and engage with Horton.

I almost always allow my service dog to be petted, but only if the person asks first. My dog is so calm that being petted is not a big deal for her, she is never over-excited when she is working. You do have to be more careful with a guide dog for the blind, the owner may not be aware that you are coming and distracting his/her dog can be dangerous.

Glad to hear that Horton came through with flying colors. Henri absolutely loves going to the vet (I think that's because its the only place she gets dog cookies).

Dianne

And, I'm so protective of him being around other dogs, when he goes to the Vet he finally gets to hang with other furry dudes!!!

I was invited to a baby shower coming up this Saturday. The hostesses are aware of Service Dogs but have never been up close and personal with one. One of them asked me if I could leave Horton at home? I told her, "he goes where I go" and, if it would be a problem I'd be happy to drop off the gift for my niece and move on!" She was very apologetic and said that Horton would be welcome in her home if he could be kept in one area and not move all over the house. I told her that he would lie at my feet and only go in and out the front door, with me, if he had to go potty.

Socializing with a Service Dog can be difficult at times because not everyone enjoys or even accepts dogs into their world. I don't much enjoy the company of anyone who doesn't like dogs and who especially doesn't appreciate the amazing work that a Service Dog does. Honestly, sometimes I prefer the company of Horton more than some people!

Rather than becoming a recluse in society I do accept invitations to all sorts of events and although I get a bit nervous at people's reactions, I still venture forth and go!!!

I know what you mean, but unfortunately some people, once they have had a bad experience with a dog never seem to get over it and have a problem with all dogs.

I bet your Horton easily makes you more friends than deters potential friends though.

By the way, best way to talk to girls, ever, is take a walk through a park with a cute dog. Never fails!

I know what you mean, but unfortunately some people, once they have had a bad experience with a dog never seem to get over it and have a problem with all dogs.

I bet your Horton easily makes you more friends than deters potential friends though.

By the way, best way to talk to girls, ever, is take a walk through a park with a cute dog. Never fails!

I have a neighbor who was bitten by a dog over 15 years ago and when she see's Horton walking up the street she becomes unglued! I feel so sorry for her!

Yep! I've met some of the nicest people in the world through my Service Dogs. People just like you!

♥ And, this thread has become one of the mainstay's of my life!!! ♥

P.S. Celebrity Cruise Lines has a thread going about "Service Dogs onboard cruise ships", it's very entertaining. Stop by if you get bored.

Thanks Keith for your kind words ♥

...P.S. Celebrity Cruise Lines has a thread going about "Service Dogs onboard cruise ships", it's very entertaining. Stop by if you get bored...

Here's a link to that thread, I think: Now with so many "service animals" do they have a Vet onboard ?

Thanks Walt for the link to the Celebrity thread about dogs. Thanks, too, to Keith, and then Roz for posting some real-world info on that thread.

Every time one of those threads starts up, I sigh because we all know what follows...you can count on someone saying they saw a dog on board and were sure it wasn't a service dog (it happens, and we know it reflects poorly on those that follow), which generates people making jokes about bringing their ferrets or peacocks on cruises, then "dogs do not belong on ships" posts. And inevitably there are completely erroneous statements posted as factual by well-intentioned people. Just the nature of Internet forums, I guess!:(

So we only have two more days with Sutter and he's off to college. He will be missed. And we're not sure if we are returning Tommen back to his original puppy raisers on Friday. If not then we'll keep him for however long they need us to. If he does go back on Friday then we may get an 8 week old puppy to "start" for another puppy raiser that can't take a dog so young. And hopefully we will be in team training for the may class!! Never a dull moment around here. Oh yeah...we're supposed to get somewhere between 5 & 10 inches of snow tomorrow. :mad:

Loved that photo of big boy Sutter off to college! Looking forward to more puppy pics soon.

Hope that May team training class works out.

On the topic of puppy being a girl magnet - my son definitely agrees! When we've needed to leave Scooter at the house and asked our son to walk him, he definitely gets noticed by the girls. Scooter is such a willing participant, too. He is happy to roll over for belly rubs from college girls!

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

On another note, no dogs that I've seen on Celebrity Eclipse the last two weeks. Only a handful of small children as well. One adorable toddler of an officer and two preschool guests with European parents. They are darling.

I've been looking as we travel to figure out where to go and what to do if I bring Scooter along next year. St Maarten makes me a bit nervous.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Hi all,

Has anyone else read about the 65 million dollar Pet Oasis being constructed at JFK International? I was reading it on MSN. Sounds like WOW. Not that I will probably ever fly in or out of there, or with a dog, but oh my!

I am not showing it to my dog - she will want to stay there!

Dianne

I am not showing it to my dog - she will want to stay there!

Dianne

Right, Dianne! I googled it. It will be in 3 phases. 1st phase is for Equine/livestock quarantine, bird aviary's and all around wellness center, Phase 2, will be grooming area and import/export for horses and Phase 3 full vet clinic, full vet blood lab, and pet boarding and grooming area. Should be very luxurious for as much as it is going to cost to build it!

I'm sorry I missed out on wishing everyone a good weekend this past week. On Wednesday, Feb. 15th I had a horrific car accident. I was T-boned by a fellow who fell asleep at the wheel. All 6 airbags deployed, meaning that Horton got hit by the two rear airbags. When I looked back to check on him, he was very wide-eyed and acting a bit excited but not a peep; no whining, whimpering or barking. He started pacing on the back seat. We're NEVER taught what to do in case of such an incident....your common sense just kicks in.

I have a broken left hand [from side air bag] and typing is really an extra challenge for me now. I have a badly sprained and contused right foot and shin [requiring 3 stitches] because my legs are so darn long, it slid up and under the dash board.

My car [that Morey took such pride in] was totaled, and, I was told saved my life [Ford Expedition.] I have to get a new car. I'm now in a rental. I need to decide whether or purchase or lease......I have a lot to think about. I'm open for all opinions.

None of the first responders would take responsibility for Horton and because the air was cool outside and my car had no threat of catching fire, they left him in the back seat as they tended to me and to the other driver [ who was okay, with a shoulder sprain.]

As soon as I appeared more calm they allowed me to go to Horton. Thank God he was okay. Very wide eyed and curious but okay. A lovely woman who witnessed the accident asked if she could take him for a walk and I observed him...he shook it off, went potty and was his calm, lovely self. The training these dogs are given really shines through, even in situations like this.

I always wondered what I would do in such a circumstance. Horton had his leash and vest on because we had just come from a restaurant.......I'm so glad I hadn't taken off his vest yet. As I was reiterating to all the folks at the scene, "please help my Service Dog in the back seat of my car!" The police would NOT let anyone take Horton out of the car. They told me, it would be best if I did it. They're afraid of getting bitten, of him running away, etc. The won't take the responsibility of the dog unless he is in danger, in which case they'll try and help the animal but they're not the first responders top priority.

I'm so thankful for the airbags, which can injure you when they deploy but they do the job of saving your life!!!!

Oh My Roz - I am so sorry this happened to you, but I am happy you and Horton are relatively OK. Take care of the both of you and we are all thinking about you and Horty.

Seems like maybe first responders need to add some training to include Service Animals? Sounds like he handled himself like the champ he is, and I am glad that lady was there to help.

Keith