Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

This is a tricky subject. The SD in training I am working with now does not tolerate his vest. It seems to make him very anxious and he shuts down. His trainer and I have tried a variety of ways to work around this and so far have not been sucessful. He is fabulous at everything else. His advanced commands are going well, he has nice public manners, and does well in the house. (Except the crate, but I think that will come).

He does not have to wear a vest to be placed with a recepient, but it sure would make it easier for them to have some id on him. I know people really try to pat him when I have him out, because he is so handsome and so well behaved. He will tolerate a bandana, so we are going to put a do not pat me I am working patch on one and see how that goes.

This is a tricky subject. The SD in training I am working with now does not tolerate his vest. It seems to make him very anxious and he shuts down. His trainer and I have tried a variety of ways to work around this and so far have not been sucessful. He is fabulous at everything else. His advanced commands are going well, he has nice public manners, and does well in the house. (Except the crate, but I think that will come).

He does not have to wear a vest to be placed with a recepient, but it sure would make it easier for them to have some id on him. I know people really try to pat him when I have him out, because he is so handsome and so well behaved. He will tolerate a bandana, so we are going to put a do not pat me I am working patch on one and see how that goes.

It's Brenda.......It's exactly what she was like through training......she is the only pup who not wear a "gentle leader" she so focused on it, she wouldn't do anything for anyone! She would rub her nose along a wall; she would use her paws in the most interesting fashion and try and get the damn thing off! So, she didn't wear one and needed a little extra proding and treats to get the job done.

CCI kept her in the program because when she's on task she's the most amazing worker you'll ever see!

The vest was also an issue for her, you know how they got her to wear one? Every time the vest came close to her face....she got a treat....every time the vest came close to her body she got a treat and on and on.....she is so highly food driven that it became the easiest way to train her.

To this day [and, she's 10 years old], when I go to put her vest on.....she pulls back and I stop until she makes one step towards me [by me proding her with words] and, then I put it on her.

With much persistence these amazing dogs can and will do anything expected from a fair and friendly trainer.

Wearing a vest just makes entering the public arena so much easier for everyone!!!!!

[/color][/b]

Thanks for the recommendations! And, yes, "eateries" is a real word. :)

That will only make it harder for people who didn't get their dogs from an organization or trainer. Many people self-train for various reasons - many-years-long waiting lists at the organizations, no organizations that train their type of tasks, their type of tasks are best trained for the individual, they already have a dog that works well (i.e. a dog that alerts to their seizures), financial reasons, health reasons, where they live, etc. These folks should carry identifying information that explains this along with the city license and immunization record (all can be put on a 3x5, or smaller, card that can be pulled-out, if needed.

It also would make it hard if something happened to your vest that had the logo on it or if you forgot it (i.e. you weren't planning on going into a store, but on your way home from the vet's, pet store, groomer's, or a friend's house you realized you needed to get something - not everybody can go back home to get the vest and go out again). Nonsense.......Anyone who travels with a Service Dog has this engrained in them.....I would NEVER think of leaving my home without a VEST and CCI does NOT charge for the vest and will replace them at NO CHARGE (one per year), if you need a replacement. Would you drive your car without your license or enter an airport without your I.D.?

As for showing papers just so a disabled person can enter a place everybody else can, that's just discrimination here in the U.S. I do not and will not advocate such things the law does not require unless and until the law does require them. I do not show my Service Dog Team Certification certificate or wallet card to gain access in the U.S. (I also haven't needed to show it to gain access in foreign countries.) You should get in the habit of doing this and so should everyone else who travels with an SD. As I said before, if we did, it would STOP the imposters.

And even if every real service dog handler used a vest with a special logo and/or showed their paperwork, it would not prevent anybody from buying fake certification online or making it themselves and using it. Yes, it would!

Businesses need to learn how to recognize real service dogs, how to spot the vests/papers from those fake online registries, that they can kick out any misbehaving dog (including a real service dog), that they can ask the three questions of any service dog team to see if they are legit (especially the task question), that they can call the ADA Hotline with any questions about the ADA, etc.

The problem is most folks wouldn't bother to go any further.......Wearing identifying "garb" would cut down on the questions and the embarrassment! I know this by personal experience. Sometimes I just "point" to the insignia on the side of the vest and keep on going!!!!!!

Quam: I've had my fair share of difficult experiences even with her vest on......but, I've learned that I can keep on walking and hold my head up higher because she's so easy to spot as a Service Dog with her vest on! And, when I'm persued by a really "pushy" person.......The first thing I do is ask Brenda to do a task [without being asked].....usually, they're so amazed at her training that they tip their hat; thank me for the demo and I move on! If that doesn't appease them......then, I gently but firmly pull-out the necessary paperwork, from my wallet. By then, they're thanking me and, I just keep on going!

I have a funny vest story. When we would put Rangeleys vest on, he would freeze like a statue. He wouldn't walk , just stood there like we just killed him. We used to laugh and laugh. He began being terrible in restaurants, don't know if it was from age or him being so darn stubborn or both. But finally one day we took the vest off for some reason and he layed down and didn't get up again. He played us so well! Now Wexler he will put on anything you want. He loves his vest, new collars, any clothing. He gets very excited with anything new. And speaking of being stubborn, Little Miss B is getting bad! If she doesn't want to do it, you can just forget it. OMG we have gotten to the point where we just laugh. And of course John can't handle it cuz he's used to Wex listening. I keep telling him she is 12 and can do whatever she wants!!!! :D

Cindy

Have you tried associating the vest with eating? That may or may not work. Some dogs just don't tolerate things on them, which is why on some dogs those anxiety wraps work for thunderstorms, fireworks, etc. Many dogs shut down when wearing head halters, but that's a different reason - that's because the mother dog uses pressure on the muzzle (with her mouth) to punish her puppies.

I do know of some folks who use bandannas, although I don't know if they use them exclusively/in place of a vest or just when the dog is at home/in a hotel room off-duty in case of emergency. The problem with a bandanna is that many pets wear bandannas, so ppl are used to seeing them and may very well not look at what a bandanna says on it.

Does this dog tolerate a walking harness? (The type of harnesses found in pet stores that you attach a leash to.) Patches/embroidery could be put on one of those.

BTW - I suggest also putting a patch or embroidery on the leash for this pup, as ppl might see that more than the bandanna (especially a patch, since it would stick out more than just embroidery, since the patch would literally stick out on the sides and be noticable).

Wearing a vest just makes entering the public arena so much easier for everyone!!!!!

That is true and while it isn't required by law, it is just plain common sense to put one on your service dog if you've got one with you. It tells the public not to mess with the dog, which definitely helps you since your dog will be focused on you and not on distractions. (Of course, there are always the ppl who don't understand they shouldn't distract your dog or are selfish and try to do it even though they admit they know better - or the jerks who BARK at your dog, grr!! The idiots. Even if they didn't understand not to distract a service dog, it is a STRANGE dog - they don't know if the dog might see their bark as a challenge and start attacking them!!)

It does help with access many times, since it is a non-verbal way of telling the store, "She's my service dog," so you don't have to be bothered to say it each time.

In my previous post I said I don't do things not required by the law, but I forgot about visual markings, so I was wrong. I do mark my dog as a service dog under normal circumstances (though we have gone into stores without markings before when I didn't know I was going to stop at the places).

I use a mobility harness on my dog, so that's a pretty obvious mark right there (although some ppl think it is a guide harness so think I'm blind, LOL - gotta love when the waitress gives a menu to everybody but me, LOL!), but I also use a pack with the harness as she carries some of my small belongings. I just changed packs (the old one broke on my cruise - yeah, and on my previous cruise I had part of the harness break [it was fixable], so, yikes, what's gonna happen on the next cruise?!) and don't have the new one embroidered yet (though I have a business card in a clear pocket that says "SERVICE DOG - DO NOT TOUCH" on it), but the old one had "DO NOT TOUCH" in one spot and "SERVICE DOG" in another spot on it (the "DO NOT TOUCH" was larger and more obvious as on the design of that pack, only one could be that way and that was the more important thing).

These folks should carry identifying information that explains this along with the city license and immunization record (all can be put on a 3x5, or smaller, card that can be pulled-out, if needed.

You don't need an immunization record - and the license should be on the dog's collar, as that's usually required by law. They don't need to explain to anybody why their dog was owner-trained or why it was program-trained or why it was trainer-trained. It has no bearing on their dog's status, but it might make for prejudiced business ppl who wrongly think all dogs with access come from programs (like the ppl who think the only dogs with access are guide dogs). (Yes, I know no dog has access, the person does, but it is just easier to say it like that, LOL.)

Nonsense.......Anyone who travels with a Service Dog has this engrained in them.....I would NEVER think of leaving my home without a VEST and CCI does NOT charge for the vest and will replace them at NO CHARGE (one per year), if you need a replacement. Would you drive your car without your license or enter an airport without your I.D.?

It is not nonsense. It has happened to me on several occassions and I know it has happened to plenty of others. It isn't a big deal. Before my mobility harness, I even forgot the dog's vest at home when going away for a weekend or week (forget which) 'cause I didn't put it on her for the long drive (road trip) and forgot to pack it in her suitcase. Driving with a license and going through security (which I assume is what you mean, as you don't need ID to enter the non-secure area of an airport) ID aren't the same thing; those are required by law. Not to mention driving is not a right, it is a privilege.

You should get in the habit of doing this and so should everyone else who travels with an SD. As I said before, if we did, it would STOP the imposters.

No, I shouldn't. Nobody should unless/until it becomes required by law, in which case the ID cards will come from the government, not from programs or trainers (to help get rid of the fraudulent cards). I will not (unless I'm in a country that requires it, like Canada/some places in Canada where you have to carry your doctor's letter with you [which I don't like, since that's confidential info. protected by law here in the U.S.], or in a country without any access laws where somebody is giving me a hassle [hasn't happened yet]). And, no, it won't stop the imposters, as many imposters go and flash their Internet-bought ID cards for access. A store can't tell between the fakes and the real cards. (The DOJ should collect the names of the companies that sell these fake cards and vests and send a memo out to every business with business names and photos of the fake vests/cards! But, nope, I haven't heard of them doing anything to these scam businesses to shut them down, which is sad.)

And even if every real service dog handler used a vest with a special logo and/or showed their paperwork, it would not prevent anybody from buying fake certification online or making it themselves and using it. Yes, it would!

No, it wouldn't, since those ppl are most of the ppl who go around flashing such ID cards and stuff. A store can't tell the real ones from the fake ones. And these ppl make it harder access for real teams because not only do they put service dogs in a bad light if/when their dog misbehaves, but they flash these cards every time they walk in a store (a little different than you say you do - at least you hold out a bit) so store ppl who don't understand the law think everybody has to show an ID for access. It DOES happen, as I know of ppl who have walked into a store and had the employee ask for their card because "the other team had one".

Wearing identifying "garb" would cut down on the questions and the embarrassment! I know this by personal experience. Sometimes I just "point" to the insignia on the side of the vest and keep on going!!!!!!

Wearing a vest/pack with "Service Dog" on it (or a guide/mobility harness with or without words on it) is fine instead of verbally telling every employee, "This is my service dog," so that they won't interrupt you every aisle you go to (unless they're ignorant of the access laws or don't care if it is a service dog, they don't want a dog in the store). Answering the three legal questions is fine (actually, required, LOL). But stopping to flash ID to gain access is not, since nobody else has to do that to enter a store and it is not required, the store needs to give you access based on the requirements of the law, not do something illegal.

Quam: I've had my fair share of difficult experiences even with her vest on......but, I've learned that I can keep on walking and hold my head up higher because she's so easy to spot as a Service Dog with her vest on! And, when I'm persued by a really "pushy" person.......The first thing I do is ask Brenda to do a task [without being asked].....usually, they're so amazed at her training that they tip their hat; thank me for the demo and I move on! If that doesn't appease them......then, I gently but firmly pull-out the necessary paperwork, from my wallet. By then, they're thanking me and, I just keep on going!

Yes, if you are confident in your entry (act like you know you belong going in there, 'cause ya DO! But some ppl act like they're committing a crime and that's gonna get them questioned), you won't have access issues unless somebody really has never heard of service dogs before or they are a dog-hating jerk. I don't have access problems - the biggest (non-DOT) issue I've ever had was in another country where they weren't sure they wanted me in there (and there was no access law so they didn't have to let me in), but all it took was a minute or two of education and they were fine with letting us in. Education works in the U.S., too. I walk in like a normal person (I mean confidence-wise, LOL; a normal person doesn't need a service dog to help them walk, of course) and if they say, "No dogs!" I simply say, "She's my service dog," and go on my merry way without an issue.

I have never had my dog do a task for access, but I have answered the task question a couple of times (the only ones I can recall [other than the ones from the curious public] are from airport cops) like the law says. Education works; you should try it before you resort to giving a business something they aren't allowed to ask for.

I have a funny vest story. When we would put Rangeleys vest on, he would freeze like a statue. He wouldn't walk , just stood there like we just killed him. We used to laugh and laugh. He began being terrible in restaurants, don't know if it was from age or him being so darn stubborn or both. But finally one day we took the vest off for some reason and he layed down and didn't get up again. He played us so well! Now Wexler he will put on anything you want. He loves his vest, new collars, any clothing. He gets very excited with anything new. And speaking of being stubborn, Little Miss B is getting bad! If she doesn't want to do it, you can just forget it. OMG we have gotten to the point where we just laugh. And of course John can't handle it cuz he's used to Wex listening. I keep telling him she is 12 and can do whatever she wants!!!! :D

Cindy

Dogs are funny critters sometimes! I love how they all have different personalities. :D

Sounds like your little pooch is becoming a little old lady, haha!

Those are all great suggestions, sadly, we have tried them all. I did try putting the pack on without attaching the belly strap part and he did OK for awhile, then back to acting stressed. Forging, not looking at me, just stressed. He only wears a collor now. Most of the dogs wear a harness, but he has issues with that as well.

Actually what he did was a lot like Cindy said rangley did. He would just lay down in the middle of a store and look at me. Ignoring didn't work, using a flexsileash and keep on walking didn't work, and neither did just being firm, let's go. Pretty embarrassing. When he was small I could just pick him up.

I am still open to suggestions. We even tried only putting the pack on for super fun time, like feeding, or playing on agility, or playing toss the teddy.

Those are all great suggestions, sadly, we have tried them all. I did try putting the pack on without attaching the belly strap part and he did OK for awhile, then back to acting stressed. Forging, not looking at me, just stressed. He only wears a collor now. Most of the dogs wear a harness, but he has issues with that as well.

Actually what he did was a lot like Cindy said rangley did. He would just lay down in the middle of a store and look at me. Ignoring didn't work, using a flexsileash and keep on walking didn't work, and neither did just being firm, let's go. Pretty embarrassing. When he was small I could just pick him up.

I am still open to suggestions. We even tried only putting the pack on for super fun time, like feeding, or playing on agility, or playing toss the teddy.[/quote]

I think the last paragraph is the best.......Along with food treats.

Good luck..... I know that if I try and put something on Brenny's face she becomes "unglued!" Talk about "shutting down!" She will spend the better part of an entire day trying to remove what ever it is. She won't focus on anything else! Nothing, absolutely nothing will convince her that it's okay......She made her mouth bleed by rubbing the gentle leade on a stucco wall!

I don't think I've ever seen a CCI dog without a vest, in public.

I'd be interested in know what the trainers at CCI would do. I know that Brenda finally gave in to the vest [with a lot of coxing on the part of the Puppy Raisers.] But, is still reluctant, to this day, when I put it on her.

My friend who has vest issues and I visited the Children's Hospital today. He wears a hospital bandana, and is very comfortable there. I did slip his vest on for a bit, and watched him bury his head in my lap... Anyway, he was making friends with a little boy in the rehab unit. Suddenly the little boy was stessing out, I was worried it was the dog, but he had seen the cast saw machine and was freaking out. His cast needed to be trimmed and he was quite upset. I asked him if we wanted my dog to keep him company. While he was still scared, he did want "caffeee" to join him. We went back to another area, and after my friend (yes it was Crackers) and I climbed onto the table, he was on his tummy and crawled forward to my dog. Together they endured the vibration, the sounds and whatever else. Crackers got quite a bit of cheese and snacks as he wasn't too sure of the sounds either. Both boy and "boy dog" survived(although Crackers had a bit of an upset tummy from so many treats). We ended up staying for a longer visit and the little boy took Crackers outside for some sunshine and snuggles. It was a really good visit and really a good experience for my dog.

My friend who has vest issues and I visited the Children's Hospital today. He wears a hospital bandana, and is very comfortable there. I did slip his vest on for a bit, and watched him bury his head in my lap... Anyway, he was making friends with a little boy in the rehab unit. Suddenly the little boy was stessing out, I was worried it was the dog, but he had seen the cast saw machine and was freaking out. His cast needed to be trimmed and he was quite upset. I asked him if we wanted my dog to keep him company. While he was still scared, he did want "caffeee" to join him. We went back to another area, and after my friend (yes it was Crackers) and I climbed onto the table, he was on his tummy and crawled forward to my dog. Together they endured the vibration, the sounds and whatever else. Crackers got quite a bit of cheese and snacks as he wasn't too sure of the sounds either. Both boy and "boy dog" survived(although Crackers had a bit of an upset tummy from so many treats). We ended up staying for a longer visit and the little boy took Crackers outside for some sunshine and snuggles. It was a really good visit and really a good experience for my dog.

Sunshine: Thank you so much for sharing this wonderful story........I was right there with you...you told it so well! I hope you're keeping a diary of sort. You could turn all your experiences into a book.

Please tell Crackers that Auntie Roz loves him!!!!!!

Did I ever tell you guys about the Psychiatrist who works upstairs in our building and was treating a little girl who had completely "shut-down" after being molested. The girl was 9 years old [i never knew her name] and, she just stopped talking. The state stepped in and she was placed in a very good foster home.

Very long story short......the Psychiatrist got a brilliant idea one day and came down and asked if she could borrow Brenny [she would take her upstairs with her and the little girl].......after 2 months of 3-1 hours visits a week [with Brenny] the little girl started to say words...then sentences and came down to my office, one day.....and said, "thank you" to me! Gave me chills!

I still get teary-eyed when I think of how my Service Dog [Ms. Brenny] changed the life of another. She makes mine and PaPa's world a better place EVERY DAY!!!!!! :)

Well, Brenda had her 10 year physical last Friday......She's at the end of an ear infection in one ear....[hello Otomax]...I swear by this stuff. Her ears are her weak spot......I have to clean them at least every-other day.

She's still on 100mg of Benadryl a day [1 capsule at breakfast and 1 at dinner]....sometimes she'll leave one in her bowl after licking it clean of her kibble. I used to chase her down to get her to take it....now, I just save it for the next meal. The Vet said that the antihistamine stays in their system for a long time and she's getting the benefits of whatever she's ingesting. I can't stress her out over this.

She's on Heartguard/glucosamine/chonroitin/salmon oil and Advantix- she gets at least 3 Virbac Dental Chews per day.......he was very impressed with her coat/skin and the lack of tarter on her teeth.

She has these weird lumps on her side [they've been there for years] and, he says that Labs are known for these benign growths. They're also known for turning into cancer so we have to have her checked at least every 6 months. He said the're more easily seen on the light-colored dogs and he'll only remove them if I insist. ARE YOU KIDDING? Don't touch my baby!

I guess some people would have them removed.....he said don't traumatize the dog over it! I completely agree!

She got her Rabies Vaccine [This certificate holds a lot of weight in a lot of foreign ports.]

He filled out her State of California Department of Food and Agriculture Certificate for Interstate or International Movement of Small Animals form. Whew, what a mouthful. This is the form that you need to have to show to immigration officers in some foreign ports. And, it holds a lot of weight in the "check-in" counter of the cruise line. Not all Vets can give you this form.....check with yours.

Her 14th [i started posting when she was on her 6th] cruise will be on November 27th.....unless, I sneak one in before!

I know she's getting older and I feel so blessed to have her in our lives and be actively working.......Everytime I throw her ball in the backyard and I watch her leap in the air to catch it......I fill with joy!!!!!! :)

I am still open to suggestions. We even tried only putting the pack on for super fun time, like feeding, or playing on agility, or playing toss the teddy.

If it is making him stressed, he may be a wash-out. But, before you do that, have you tried putting a lightweight doggy T-shirt on him 24/7 so he can get used to the feeling of it on him and let it become part of "normal"?

However, before that, are you certain the only reason he is acting this way is because of the vest? And that he's not stressing about the work which he now associates with the vest? 'Cause getting him used to the vest will be for naught if it is the public access work that is the real issue.

BTW, what you are saying with him flopping down and not moving sounds like what my late cat would do whenever I tried to put the cat harness on her. She never did get used to it.

Edited by Quampapetet

Has anyone here had any luck contacting the gov't vets/animal health/dog import ppl in St. Lucia and/or St. Kitts? If so, how did you contact them? I tried e-mail, but haven't heard anything back yet.

Thanks!

No! But, I've heard that other folks have had problems with them. Since their legal system is based on British Common Law, why don't you try the UK?

Good luck.

If it is making him stressed, he may be a wash-out. But, before you do that, have you tried putting a lightweight doggy T-shirt on him 24/7 so he can get used to the feeling of it on him and let it become part of "normal"?

However, before that, are you certain the only reason he is acting this way is because of the vest? And that he's not stressing about the work which he now associates with the vest? 'Cause getting him used to the vest will be for naught if it is the public access work that is the real issue.

BTW, what you are saying with him flopping down and not moving sounds like what my late cat would do whenever I tried to put the cat harness on her. She never did get used to it.

He's been doing great on outings in public now for several months since we took a complete break from the pack. The tshirt is a great idea. I'll try that next time I have him home for a visit.

He's been doing great on outings in public now for several months since we took a complete break from the pack. The tshirt is a great idea. I'll try that next time I have him home for a visit.

You know, it's funny but Brenny will wear a T-Shirt without balking or shutting-down!

Maybe have the words "Working Dog" put on a T-Shirt.

No! But, I've heard that other folks have had problems with them. Since their legal system is based on British Common Law, why don't you try the UK?

Good luck.

That stinks that others have had issues, too. :(

I don't think contacting the UK will do anything. I guess I will see if they've got a U.S. office and try that - although that didn't get me the right answers last time with Turks & Caicos, so I don't know.... :rolleyes:

Hi All, Hope things are well with all of you. I have been reading all your wonderful stories. They make me laugh and sometimes cry. Glad to hear Brenny is in perfect health. :D Bailee has one big lump kinda in her armpit. It's a fatty tumor that she has had for years. She was fat for many years. Now she is slim and trim!! I have been in this mode of thinking to much about her getting old. Atleast when Rangeley was here they were pretty close in age. Now with the new pup, I really see how old she is getting and I can't seem to get it out of my mind. I don't want to just sit around and think about her being gone all the time, it's driving me nuts!!

Nest subject.........Our puppy raisers that we have class with once a month are having a workshop this weekend and of course we have been asked to go. I will bake something and we will just go to hang out. A few CCI people will be there so that will be nice to see.

Cindy

Lot's of excitement around Canine Assistants this week. The PBS special "Through the eys of a dog" will air nationwide at 8pm on 4/21. I can post the link again if anyone wants it. Then on Saturday(maybe not nationwide) Animal Planet's show "Me or the Dog" will feature one of our trainers and a dog in training (showing the right way to behave) Carly(the dog) is the dog in the newest milk bone commercials, so she is a super star.

hthttp://to.pbs.org/c0Ocgztp://to.pbs.org/c0Ocgz

http://to.pbs.org/c0Ocgz

Edited by sunshine426

Hi All, Hope things are well with all of you. I have been reading all your wonderful stories. They make me laugh and sometimes cry. Glad to hear Brenny is in perfect health. :D Bailee has one big lump kinda in her armpit. It's a fatty tumor that she has had for years. She was fat for many years. Now she is slim and trim!! I have been in this mode of thinking to much about her getting old. Atleast when Rangeley was here they were pretty close in age. Now with the new pup, I really see how old she is getting and I can't seem to get it out of my mind. I don't want to just sit around and think about her being gone all the time, it's driving me nuts!!

Nest subject.........Our puppy raisers that we have class with once a month are having a workshop this weekend and of course we have been asked to go. I will bake something and we will just go to hang out. A few CCI people will be there so that will be nice to see.

Cindy

Cindy: Thank you for sharing your feelings about Bailee's aging.......I'm with you on the obession thing!

I totally understand your over-focusing on Bailee's age and health. You're a wonderful caregiver to your furbabies and furworkers.....they're lucky to have you in their lives and to have you caring for them. That's the part I keep thinking about is how much I love and give to Brenny......not that it makes the thought of losing her any easier......

I've been told that this obsession about losing our senior dogs is very, very common. Brenny can be fast asleep on her couch and she's so still, I find myself going over to her and watching her tummy go up and down, just to make sure she's breathing. I'm also kissing her a little bit harder and a bit longer these days.

We'll help each other [you've had more experience in this department than me.]

I know I'll just fall apart and will be looking for her at every turn......OMG! I have to stop and go outside and play with her.......The tears in my eyes are keeping me from typing any way!!!

Lot's of excitement around Canine Assistants this week. The PBS special "Through the eys of a dog" will air nationwide at 8pm on 4/21. I can post the link again if anyone wants it. Then on Saturday(maybe not nationwide) Animal Planet's show "Me or the Dog" will feature one of our trainers and a dog in training (showing the right way to behave) Carly(the dog) is the dog in the newest milk bone commercials, so she is a super star.

hthttp://to.pbs.org/c0Ocgztp://to.pbs.org/c0Ocgz

http://to.pbs.org/c0Ocgz

I can't wait......I'll be watching!

Sunshine, I just set the dvr to record that show just in case I forget. I checked out me and the dog show, but I didn't see "Carly" in the info.

We went to the puppy workshop this weekend. Two of the trainers were there, and it was nice to see them. John got up and spoke for a few minutes about him and Wex. We had a nice lunch and then they got out the videos. I felt like I was back in boot camp training again. UGH! But it was a very nice day.

Last time I was at the vet, we had talked about this arthritis med for Bails. The vet said it was awesome with no side effects like Rimadyl. Also alot cheaper and you get it at the pharmacy. I'm not sure what it is called. I am seriously thinking about putting her on it. Not that she is that bad. But she has a bum back leg and I'm not sure if it from the arthritis or not. She had an xray a few years back and the vet said she had arthritis down her back. The only symptom I see is she limps after she runs alot. I'm not even sure if it's arthritis thats making the leg hurt, but I think I'm going to try it. Now that she is chasing Wex I figure I'll give her all the help I can. I know the Rimadyl has alot of side effects, especially to the liver, and I seem to be giving her more and more as the weather gets nicer and she is out alot. I'll let everyone know how it's going just in case down the line some of you might need it for your dogs.

Cindy