Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

Cindy, Try looking for Florence and Fiona. Those are the dog and owner names of the episode Carly will be on.

Had a way to cute 5 month golden out to the mall today. We got a lot of attention as puppies will.

I wanted to get Brenny and me a puppy to play with.......until, I had to walk her out in the rain today [wipe down the dog; wipe down the paws; get the hair and clothes all wet; and, on and on]......Forget about it!!!!!! No puppies for us! Too much work.....Oh! Yeh! Sure! She'll play and play and play until they both fall down in a heap and, I'll be left to clean-up the mess.....I think I'll wait a while!

My friend was trying to convince me that it would be the perfect cure for Brenny getting older.

Now, I can't wait for the long hot summer to get here! My hair hates wet!!!!!!! :cool:

I don't think I'm up for it! I'm too old!

Cindy, Try looking for Florence and Fiona. Those are the dog and owner names of the episode Carly will be on.

Had a way to cute 5 month golden out to the mall today. We got a lot of attention as puppies will.

Sunshine, I found it and put it on the dvr!!

Lot's of excitement around Canine Assistants this week. The PBS special "Through the eys of a dog" will air nationwide at 8pm on 4/21. I can post the link again if anyone wants it. Then on Saturday(maybe not nationwide) Animal Planet's show "Me or the Dog" will feature one of our trainers and a dog in training (showing the right way to behave) Carly(the dog) is the dog in the newest milk bone commercials, so she is a super star.

hthttp://to.pbs.org/c0Ocgztp://to.pbs.org/c0Ocgz

http://to.pbs.org/c0Ocgz

We saw it last night......it was wonderful. The matching of the dogs with the right person can be very challenging for the trainers.

What a great organization.

Everytime I watch these dogs being trained and playing as puppies I cry!

Sunshine, The show was wonderful!! We both cried and loved every minute of it.

Cindy

Oh and John wants Wagner

I want that big fluffy thing......I don't think CCI has the Labradoodles yet. But, just for allergy purposes and, when Ms. Brenny says "I don't think so" to a day of work......I'm going to request a "big fluffy thing!"

Kind of goes with my style!!!!

If anyone is reading this or [lurking] and doesn't have a Service Dog....It is so much work.......Brenny makes my world "whole" for me.....but, she's so much work.

We do a lot for each other, that's for sure!!!!!! :p

We are wanting to travel with my service dog to Mexico and could use some information. I can't find anything related to what travel documents I would need to bring him from Long Beach on a Carnival to Ensenada and back. He was trained at Canine Support teams in CA and we have documents.

I want that big fluffy thing......I don't think CCI has the Labradoodles yet. But, just for allergy purposes and, when Ms. Brenny says "I don't think so" to a day of work......I'm going to request a "big fluffy thing!"

Kind of goes with my style!!!!

If anyone is reading this or [lurking] and doesn't have a Service Dog....It is so much work.......Brenny makes my world "whole" for me.....but, she's so much work.

We do a lot for each other, that's for sure!!!!!! :p

I loved the special, and it has already generated a lot of talk. I think Wagner has found his soul mate already. He was a fabulous dog. I worked a lot with two of his litter mates and really enjoyed them. Those doodles are fabulous looking aren't they. They do take a lot of grooming work, but so striking.

On to cruising: music to my ears. My daughters are trying to find a week that works for both of them to take off. One is a full time grad student, the other full time working girl. They want another family cruise. So, I told them to let us know the date. Our last family cruise was on the ill-fated Star Princess, so we need a make up one.

I loved the special, and it has already generated a lot of talk. I think Wagner has found his soul mate already. He was a fabulous dog. I worked a lot with two of his litter mates and really enjoyed them. Those doodles are fabulous looking aren't they. They do take a lot of grooming work, but so striking.

On to cruising: music to my ears. My daughters are trying to find a week that works for both of them to take off. One is a full time grad student, the other full time working girl. They want another family cruise. So, I told them to let us know the date. Our last family cruise was on the ill-fated Star Princess, so we need a make up one.

I loved Wagner too!

And, you go girl....Family cruises are wonderful things. I can't wait to cruise again!

We are wanting to travel with my service dog to Mexico and could use some information. I can't find anything related to what travel documents I would need to bring him from Long Beach on a Carnival to Ensenada and back. He was trained at Canine Support teams in CA and we have documents.

Hi Jennifer and welcome to this wonderful board......

Here is what you will need to get into Mexico or Baja California.

1. Department of Food and Agriculture Certificate for Interstate or International Movement of Small Animals [this includes dogs] form. (You will get this from your Vet.)

2. Copy of City License Department of Animal Services

3. Rabies Vaccination Certificate

4. Copy of Recent Vet Exam showing that your dog is healthy to travel......

Animal Health Statement - this shows all Immunizations/Heatguard Usage/Advantix Usage

5. If you have a Permit/Certificate of Training from the Organization you received your dog from-a copy of this is helpful too [this is not required-just helpful.] It certainly has helped with TSA and Immigration Authorities.

#1 and #4 is truly all that you need. I just don't leave any room for error or questions by supplying more than I need.

You will need to fax this information to the Access or Special Needs Department of the Cruiseline and then speak with them about the placement of the potty box.

If you have a cabin with a Veranda they can place the box right on the veranda. Or in a "crew closet" down the hall from your cabin.....or, my favorite; in a stairwell near your cabin. I'm not a big fan of using an outside deck......too public and too far away from the cabin.

Carnival Access Care: 1-800-438-6744 Ext: 70025

Have a superfun cruise and come back and tell us all about it. :)

Hi Jennifer and welcome to this wonderful board......

Here is what you will need to get into Mexico or Baja California.

1. Department of Food and Agriculture Certificate for Interstate or International Movement of Small Animals [this includes dogs] form. (You will get this from your Vet.)

2. Copy of City License Department of Animal Services

3. Rabies Vaccination Certificate

4. Copy of Recent Vet Exam showing that your dog is healthy to travel......

Animal Health Statement - this shows all Immunizations/Heatguard Usage/Advantix Usage

5. If you have a Permit/Certificate of Training from the Organization you received your dog from-a copy of this is helpful too [this is not required-just helpful.] It certainly has helped with TSA and Immigration Authorities.

#1 and #4 is truly all that you need. I just don't leave any room for error or questions by supplying more than I need.

You will need to fax this information to the Access or Special Needs Department of the Cruiseline and then speak with them about the placement of the potty box.

If you have a cabin with a Veranda they can place the box right on the veranda. Or in a "crew closet" down the hall from your cabin.....or, my favorite; in a stairwell near your cabin. I'm not a big fan of using an outside deck......too public and too far away from the cabin.

Carnival Access Care: 1-800-438-6744 Ext: 70025

Have a superfun cruise and come back and tell us all about it. :)

Actually, #1, #3 and #4 are all you need. Without the Rabies Vaccine you won't be able to take your dog any where!

Mexico is easy to get into, as is the U.S. You'll just need an int'l health certificate from a USDA-registered vet (your vet's office will know which vet who work there can do health certificates). Your current rabies certificate is handy to keep on you, as well, just in case the vet forgets to write something on the certificate (once my vet forgot to write that the vaccine was the three-year vaccine [it had been over a year since the vaccine], but thankfully I had the rabies certificate with me, so the country didn't have to call my vet and ask).

If you haven't already told Carnival about your service dog, you will need to do so ASAP. They have a form you need to sign about your behavior in regards to the dog's behavior on the ship, plus you'll need to tell them about the potty area you need for your dog (either take their offered 4'x4' box of paper litter or bring your own - although Roz got lucky and was able to get sod out of them).

Usually you can find each country's dog import requirements on their official Web sites - if not, the USDA provides information for some countries on their Web site, plus you can call them and ask. In addition, your vet should be able to get the info. for you (although I've never tried that with mine, since I come prepared with it myself and my vet trusts that I've made any pre-arrangements needed - jokes that I know more than he does about it all, LOL).

BTW, the last time I checked (for when I was in Mexico in '08), public access laws in Mexico existed for guide dog users, but not service dog users. Things may have changed since then, so do check on that. But, I didn't have a problem getting two taxis or going to the beach excursion I went to, nor in the shops in the cruise center.

Edited by Quampapetet

Mornin' all:

Jezzy Lou and Leann Emily have been stalking a mouse in the house, since yesterday morning. Not quite sure which will capture it, hope neither one. We haven't decided how to set a trap, that they can't get to before we do. Ah, the joys of parenthood, four legged kind. Why would a mouse pick a house with a cat and a terrier (terrorist) dog in it? It must have been dazed and confused to begin with!

Everyone have a Maavelous Monday and wonderful week. Hugs and kisses to all our furbabies..........

Nancy

Mornin' all:

Jezzy Lou and Leann Emily have been stalking a mouse in the house, since yesterday morning. Not quite sure which will capture it, hope neither one. We haven't decided how to set a trap, that they can't get to before we do. Ah, the joys of parenthood, four legged kind. Why would a mouse pick a house with a cat and a terrier (terrorist) dog in it? It must have been dazed and confused to begin with!

Everyone have a Maavelous Monday and wonderful week. Hugs and kisses to all our furbabies..........

Nancy

Nancy: You too! And, please tell Jezzy and Leann to leave Mickey alone......

Sandy has just discovered that we have turtles in our backyard pond. She's woofing and barking and making a racket. The turtles just look at her. I think their is a little "turtle taunting" going on. Cracks us up.

Hey, it must be in the air......Tell Sandy to leave the turtles alone!

Can you imagine what a dog must look like in the eyes of a turtle? WOW!!!!!

I've got a pet turtle, but my dog pays no mind to it even when it is out of the tank walking around on the floor. I guess she realizes that a rock didn't grow legs and decide to walk! ;)

All these cross/animal stories remind me of the day that I had taken Brenda out to play in the backyard of my building [huge grassy area with tables/seating/trees] just delightful.

She had spotted some birds in a tree making the loudest noises, probably warning each other that there was a huge/black dog in their area. [Little do they know that the prey drive was totally trained out of her!] But, being inquisitive as to what the heck all the noise up in those trees was about was overwhelming and was making her nuts. She wouldn't do anything else but cock her head and stare at the trees. It was very funny to watch.

Okay, okay, it was a "you had to be there" kind of funny! :rolleyes:

Hello all,

Valentine just went to the vet and groomer today (all in the same building)She got her short summertime haircut. If that weren't bad enough for her the rash is back with a vengus. /we are having a hard time getting her to settle down. It itches and she thinks she can run away from it. I have tried the medicine that the doctor gave her but it is not working so I have tried cool water, hydrocordisoan, and corn starch. Right now corn starch seems to be working best Anyone know of anything better?

Mornin' all:

Ah, poor Valentine. It is so frustrating when the furbabies have problems and you can't tell them you are trying to fix it. I am a benedryl mom. Reno used it for years and it sure helped. Roz has Brenny on it now. Ask the vet, it is worth a try. Hopefully it will curb the itching sensation, then the rash can heal.

Everyone have a nice Tuesday.

Nancy

Mornin' all:

Ah, poor Valentine. It is so frustrating when the furbabies have problems and you can't tell them you are trying to fix it. I am a benedryl mom. Reno used it for years and it sure helped. Roz has Brenny on it now. Ask the vet, it is worth a try. Hopefully it will curb the itching sensation, then the rash can heal.

Everyone have a nice Tuesday.

Nancy

Yep! When we tried Prednisone [orally] and, although it did help, it also almost killed her, we went to Benadryl capsules [the human kind] 50mg in the am and 50mg in the pm. She'll eat the capsule along with her kibble or sometimes she will leave it and I sometimes wrap it in a piece of cheese or ball of cream cheese. Since she's so much better now, I don't force it in her with the cheese.

The Vet said no more than 150mg a day. It doesn't change anything about Brenny but does have the capability of making a dog sleepy, just like humans.

It helps with her bloodshot eyes and itchy ears. Also, Salmon Oil, sprayed on her food every morning keeps her skin from drying and keeps her fur shiny.

I swear by the Grizzly Salmon Oil.....You can buy it online; Entirelypets.com or in the Pet Shop [much more expensive,though.] Also, I buy the Benadryl at the Kaiser Pharmacy [generic brand] much cheaper than the regular pharmacies and even WalMart.

Good Luck......All of the above have helped Brenny to be a happier and healthier dog.

Hello all' date='

Valentine just went to the vet and groomer today (all in the same building)She got her short summertime haircut. If that weren't bad enough for her the rash is back with a vengus. /we are having a hard time getting her to settle down. It itches and she thinks she can run away from it. I have tried the medicine that the doctor gave her but it is not working so I have tried cool water, hydrocordisoan, and corn starch. Right now corn starch seems to be working best Anyone know of anything better?[/quote']

Please see my response to Nancy [s.S.Cruisers]......I promise you it will make a difference in Valentine's skin and fur. And, most importantly, she won't be suffering anymore and it's not hard to do.

Give the Benadryl and the Salmon Oil a try.........Neither one of them will hurt her, if they don't work.......but, I promise you they WILL WORK, if you use them diligently!!!!!

Thanks guys I knew that I ciould count on you. You are the best! I have Valentine on the fish oil. She hates it but will eat it if I wait her out. I did end up using the Benedryl last night, she had been perscribed it for her nasal type allergies so I knew it wouldn't hurt her. She finally settled down but because I gave her a little more than she sometimes gets for her allergies she slept so deeply that of course I ended up not sleeping and checking on her all night because she was so lethargiuc. Funny but I don't remember that taking care of a baby being this hard. I talked to the doctor again today and he said that I could give her twice as much as I did up to 2 times a day if needed. He also said that he thinks that her problem stems from her having a LOT of hair in her privat area and it makes the urine back up causing yeast and then it spreads. So when they groomed her they cut that area really really short and I have special medicine to put in the folds. You would think that we were killing her! First she is scared to death to lay on her back. I think it is because she can't breathe. Anyway I think that we have the problem on the run and I really appreciate all of you guys ralley round to help us out. It meas a lot especially since we have never met each other. Somehow we all seem like best friends.:D:D Thanks again.

Dogs only lay on their backs when they are comfortable enough to know they will not be attacked. Laying on their backs is laying in the prone position, the easiest way to be attacked. You need to earn the dog's trust and make her feel safe before she'll be willing to lay on her back.

You might want to try the fish oil in gel capsule form - maybe she'll like those better. (I don't think I've ever heard of a dog NOT liking fish oil, though, LOL!)

Have you tried colloidial silver spray (such as "Peace and Kindness" from Chris Christensen) on her rash? That stuff works well (I've even used it on myself before to heal something - wasn't a rash, but some kind of thing wrong with my skin, I just don't remember what since it was a few years ago, but it works on hot spots, rashes, cuts, etc.).

Thanks guys I knew that I ciould count on you. You are the best! I have Valentine on the fish oil. She hates it but will eat it if I wait her out. I did end up using the Benedryl last night' date=' she had been perscribed it for her nasal type allergies so I knew it wouldn't hurt her. She finally settled down but because I gave her a little more than she sometimes gets for her allergies she slept so deeply that of course I ended up not sleeping and checking on her all night because she was so lethargiuc. Funny but I don't remember that taking care of a baby being this hard. I talked to the doctor again today and he said that I could give her twice as much as I did up to 2 times a day if needed. He also said that he thinks that her problem stems from her having a LOT of hair in her privat area and it makes the urine back up causing yeast and then it spreads. So when they groomed her they cut that area really really short and I have special medicine to put in the folds. You would think that we were killing her! First she is scared to death to lay on her back. I think it is because she can't breathe. Anyway I think that we have the problem on the run and I really appreciate all of you guys ralley round to help us out. It meas a lot especially since we have never met each other. Somehow we all seem like best friends.:D:D Thanks again.[/quote']

You are so welcome!

I swear, I've raised 3 of my own children and 3 foster children and, I don't remember ever being so bothered by a beings illness or sensitivities as I am by Brenda's. I know exactly how you're feeling and how troublesome it can be to watch our furbabies going through health issues!

I send all my positive, calm and assertive energy your way.......Please let us know how Valentine's progressing and give her a big, smoochie kiss on her forhead from Brenny and me!

Love & Licks,

Roz