Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

Mornin' all:

Hope everyone had a good Mother's Day.

Roz: That sounds like so much fun. I can only bet Brenny was the hit. I am sure you had her dressed up in her finest Collarie (not a word, but you get my drift) :D Jezzy Lou got a knew harness and I love it. It is a wide strap with breathable material that has a really soft underside. She loves it. It is purple, of course. She also got a new collar at Dollar Tree. She loves that store! Papa, not so much! Mommy always buys a collar or new baby.

Quam: I love that show. Wouldn't you know it was the one I missed! Bummer.

Hope everyone has a week filled with snuggles, kisses, cuddles and hugs. Can never get too many of those!

Nancy

She also got a new collar at Dollar Tree. She loves that store! Papa, not so much! Mommy always buys a collar or new baby.

Make sure you're not buying children's stuffed animals. The stuffing inside those is treated with fire retardant that can/will kill a dog if swallowed! (Also, a lot of that dollar-store stuff I think is from China, so could have lead or other stuff in/on it.) Buy only toys made for dogs.

Quam: I love that show. Wouldn't you know it was the one I missed! Bummer.

I have the DVR set to tape it every week; I almost never watch it live. But I happened to watch it later the same night it aired (usually I watch it later in the week). I'll bet you can watch it online, though - just scoot to the reveal at the end if you don't want to sit in front of the computer for 45 min. That's when they give the kid the dog.

Edited by Quampapetet

I did not know that about the stuffed animals:eek:. Are stuffed toys marketed for dogs made from a different material. My own dog likes to play with her "teddies" but we toss them when she gets to the point we see stuffing. But, you can't be too careful.

Yeah, the dog ones are dog-safe, not made with fire retardant material. But ones for kids (and kids' PJs) are made to be fire retardant for safety. They just aren't safe to injest, but since kids don't normally eat the insides of their toys, it is okay for kids' toys.

I didn't know about it until recently when I read a post elsewhere about it. I checked it out on Snopes and it is true that the stuff can be deadly.

Edited by Quampapetet

Mornin' all:

Thanks, Quam. Never even thought of the fire retardent thing. The ones I buy her are for dogs and Jezzy doesn't chew her's up. I keep an eye on all her toys for stuffing sightings. But you are right about the China thing. I know the tennis balls smell terrible. I don't give them to her, anyway, but I know they put some nasty chemical on alot of there stuff.

When I get a chance I will go look up that segment of Extreme Makeover.

Everyone have a great Hump Day.

Nancy

Have you seen the Planet Dog tennis balls? They're made completely different from regular tennis balls - the dog can't chew them up (at least, not easily - maybe a very large dog could/would chew them up...) and they don't have that nasty tennis rubber smell to them. I have one for my dog at our summer place and it is great to have - in fact, I just ordered another one (a pink one! The other one is yellow) to keep at home/use while travelling.

Mornin' all:

Why oh why do the 7 year old grandson and his Papa have to play with the dog's toys? So, Papa did an oops and threw the ball and it bounced over fence, which has a canal about 20' front the fence. I went around and of course couldn't find it. Guess I will check on the Planet tennis balls. Specially if we can get a pink one!

Gonna try and attach some photos.

GetAttachmentCAO5H1MH.jpg.151e5686c2fef70f4b00e0a59af1ce9c.jpg This should be Leann Emily

GetAttachmentCA54YI2B.jpg.8598fca85f14ac84d7ad0cc7fd5dc217.jpg And this should be Jezzy Lou

Hope it worked. Everyone have a great weekend.

Nancy

Edited by S.S. Cruisers
remove text

Hi All, We have been busy and haven't been around. Hope all are well. The medicine we were trying on Bailee did not work for her. We are now going to try something else. Our vet has suggested we get "platinum performance cj" supplement for her and Wex can take it as well. It's got tons of good stuff in it. Has anyone used or heard of this?? I guess it's been used on horses and now they have a dog and cat formula. I just ordered it so I'll let you know if it works. She also talked about giving some shots. Twice a week for a month and then once a month after that. She says it goes right to the joints without passing through any organs. Again we will see if this helps her. I'll keep you informed.

Cindy

It’s starting to get warmer and I know Roxie will start scratching, so I want to nip this in the bud. I have a question: Costco has Pure Alaska Omega Wild Alaska Salmon Oil (for humans) 1000 mg per softgel. Is this OK for dogs? Thanks for your help!

Why oh why do the 7 year old grandson and his Papa have to play with the dog's toys? So, Papa did an oops and threw the ball and it bounced over fence, which has a canal about 20' front the fence. I went around and of course couldn't find it. Guess I will check on the Planet tennis balls. Specially if we can get a pink one!

Cute photos!

Well, I'm a little disappointed in the Planet Dog ball. It is HIGHLY mint-scented! It comes off on your hands if you touch it, yuck! (I can't stand mint!) The color is cute, but I can't stand the scent. I don't think my dog likes it much, either.

It’s starting to get warmer and I know Roxie will start scratching, so I want to nip this in the bud. I have a question: Costco has Pure Alaska Omega Wild Alaska Salmon Oil (for humans) 1000 mg per softgel. Is this OK for dogs? Thanks for your help!

It depends on your dog's size how much salmon oil you give. Here's the link to the one I get - the downloadable brochure might have the mg listed in it so you can compare, but my Adobe Acrobat isn't working right currently, so I'll let you look in the brochure: http://www.thewholisticpet.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=554&ParentCat=40

Still giving Sandy these new omega fish flakes. Have to mix it in some wet food because she doesn't like the taste. Itching continued so she had her steroid shot and now on oral steroids. She is sleeping well, so all goes well

Now, onto Crackers: he is one year old today!! Happy birthday Crackers!! And, I got his pack on him. He wore it for an all day conference on thursday and did great. He was a very good boy at the conference. Quiet, lying at my feet. He would stand every time a speaker would finish and appluase would break out. It was almost as though he thought the applause was for him. It was pretty cute. I was just so happy that he had on his pack. A break though.....

Here's the website info Quam. http://www.platinumperformance.com/Platinum-Performance0153-Canine-CJ/productinfo/CPCJG1/ if you click on "product analysis" you can see every ingredient.

Thanks for the link. Sounds like an interesting product. After seeing the pic of the container, I can say I definitely hadn't heard of it before.

I don't know what all of the ingredients in it are, especially the two trademarked named ones that must be some sort of proprietary blend, but it doesn't look like there's anything bad in it.

Still giving Sandy these new omega fish flakes. Have to mix it in some wet food because she doesn't like the taste. Itching continued so she had her steroid shot and now on oral steroids. She is sleeping well, so all goes well

Now, onto Crackers: he is one year old today!! Happy birthday Crackers!! And, I got his pack on him. He wore it for an all day conference on thursday and did great. He was a very good boy at the conference. Quiet, lying at my feet. He would stand every time a speaker would finish and appluase would break out. It was almost as though he thought the applause was for him. It was pretty cute. I was just so happy that he had on his pack. A break though.....

Have you tried salmon oil soft gelcaps instead of the flakes? I posted the link to some a few posts up.

That's great that Crackers did well with the pack on! Maybe he is growing out of hating things on him ... or one can hope.... ;) Hmm, sounds like he might've thought the conference was boring and was hoping y'all would leave after each person was done speaking!! Haha, kidding, of course. :p

Mornin' all:

[ATTACH]156188[/ATTACH] This should be Leann Emily

[ATTACH]156189[/ATTACH] And this should be Jezzy Lou

Nancy

Loved the photos........Thanks for sharing them.

Hi All, We have been busy and haven't been around. Hope all are well. The medicine we were trying on Bailee did not work for her. We are now going to try something else. Our vet has suggested we get "platinum performance cj" supplement for her and Wex can take it as well. It's got tons of good stuff in it. Has anyone used or heard of this?? I guess it's been used on horses and now they have a dog and cat formula. I just ordered it so I'll let you know if it works. She also talked about giving some shots. Twice a week for a month and then once a month after that. She says it goes right to the joints without passing through any organs. Again we will see if this helps her. I'll keep you informed.

Cindy

I have not heard of it. If it helps her with her joint pain that's the most important. How old is Bailee?

I hope she will get some relief from either the supplement or the shots. Let us know how it goes.

Depending on the dog and how well they can absorb the supplement results may take some time.

I've heard that the cortisol injections are much quicker. However, they can be painful [again, depending on the dog.] Be ready for that!

Mornin' all:

[ATTACH]156188[/ATTACH] This should be Leann Emily

[ATTACH]156189[/ATTACH] And this should be Jezzy Lou

Nancy

Grandchildren and Granfathers are very similar! They both require a lot of attention.

My Vet told me that the human kind and the animal kind are absorbed differently. It's best to stick with the one specifically made for dogs. It's not worth wasting your money or your dogs health on something that won't even work or may cause some digestion problems.

JMHO

So cute! Applause can be very distracting.....especially to stars like Crackers.

I can't even imagine what we'd do if the Salmon Oil and Benadryl didn't work for Brenny. She's deathly allergic to steriods.