Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

Cindy, I'm sitting here crying with you. I'm so deeply saddened by Bailee's leaving us. I'm going to miss her so, so much........I can't believe it! [it's me, Roz, writing from home on Morey's account. I'll write, again, from work tomorrow.]

I'll miss Bailee as if I had seen her every day! She had such a wonderful life with John, you, Rangeley and then Wex. It was a full life, filled with so much love and giving.

My heart is broken for you. I'm so sorry.

This is not new for you......you know how long it takes. We are all here for you.

I hope that you will find some comfort in the amazing memories that Bailee gave you all.

I will hug my Brenny a little harder tonight.

My Love to You All. Have a sweet sleep dear Bailee, we all loved you so much!

Roz & Brenny

I will be going home to CT today and I'll be back Thursday. The ride home is going to be hard, no huffing and puffing in the back seat. Then I have to see my son, who is also taking this very hard. But the one we are most worried about is Wexler. He is devastated. I don't think we realized how sad he was going to be. He is lost! No running down the halls, no tail wags.:( Yesterday one of the puppy raisers who lives nearby called and we went down to the field to let them play together. He had a blast and was he pooped out when we got back. We thought he would go right to sleep, but he's just to fidgety. I don't know how he will be when I go home today. John will have to keep him busy. I'll talk to you all when I get back.

Cindy

I will be going home to CT today and I'll be back Thursday. The ride home is going to be hard, no huffing and puffing in the back seat. Then I have to see my son, who is also taking this very hard. But the one we are most worried about is Wexler. He is devastated. I don't think we realized how sad he was going to be. He is lost! No running down the halls, no tail wags.:( Yesterday one of the puppy raisers who lives nearby called and we went down to the field to let them play together. He had a blast and was he pooped out when we got back. We thought he would go right to sleep, but he's just to fidgety. I don't know how he will be when I go home today. John will have to keep him busy. I'll talk to you all when I get back.

Cindy

Have a safe trip and know that we're all with you.

Wex is missing the dog who welcomed him into your home; the dog who gave him attitude when she'd had enough of his nonsense.....but, most of all he's missing his friend.

And, so are we! I can't stop myself from tearing-up every time I remember some of your wonderful stories of Bailee. I wasn't as lucky as you were to be able to see her every day; to smell her and touch her.....but, I loved hearing you tell us of her.....and, how timely was that picture that you sent us all of her graying and smiling face!

Take care,

Love,

Roz

Rangeley, sorry to hear about the loss of your pup. :( Yeah, dogs do mourn, too, so that's what you're seeing. Let him mourn, just like you need to let humans mourn, and go through the stages.

And, yes, you just sprinkle powder supplements on top of the dog's food. And look into Cosequin or Dasuquin (glucosamine/chondroitin) for joint health - it is free for service dogs if you're an IAADP partner member! I get the Dasuquin (a newer formula than Cosequin, which I got up until they offered Dasuquin). The same company makes supplements for humans, which is the brand doctors recommend to their patients.

Edited by Quampapetet

Hi All, I can't believe I'm writing this but Bailee died today. She had a tumor in her spleen and it burst. We are devastated to say the least. She had a great life and a good friend in Wexy. We will all miss her very much.

Cindy, John & Wexler

Although I do not know you I can only imagine how hard this must be for you. I am so sorry and hope that with each day that passes that the pain becomes less and the memories become more meaningful. I imagine it must be difficult 2 fold for you as you have lost somebody close to you and lost the help that Bailee provided to you.

I have been reading this thread for the past few hours. I think it is absolutely amazing the work that service dogs can do for people. We once flew on a plane with a group of 10 people who all had service dogs. I was totally amazed that during a 3 1/2 hour flight not once did we hear the dogs or even really notice that they were onboard. They are truly amazing animals and I think because of that they would form a stronger and even more closer relationship with their owners.

Thinking of you in this difficult time.

Leanne

Mornin' all:

Cindy: I know how you feel. It is tough watching Wexie going thru it. Leann Emily looked for Reno for days. You just wish you could cuddle them up and make it all go away for everyone. Maybe another companion for Wexie. I know it is way too soon and they would not replace Bailee, just soften the blow for all. We were dead set about not getting another dog, after Reno. But I just don't know what we would do without Jezzy Lou. She stands in my lap and looks at me so deeply with those beautiful yellow eyes and I just melt. She is so full of love (and vinegar!) You, John and Wexie will do the right thing. Travis and I had a very intense conversation about Reno, on the way to school the other day. He brought it up. Just how he still misses him, how nice Reno was to him (I guess he forgets the Reno use to growl at him too!) It was pleasant and sad at the same time.

Now that I am in tears, I will quit babbling.

Everyone have a nice Hump Day. Short week, too much to do.

Nancy

Although I do not know you I can only imagine how hard this must be for you. I am so sorry and hope that with each day that passes that the pain becomes less and the memories become more meaningful. I imagine it must be difficult 2 fold for you as you have lost somebody close to you and lost the help that Bailee provided to you.

I have been reading this thread for the past few hours. I think it is absolutely amazing the work that service dogs can do for people. We once flew on a plane with a group of 10 people who all had service dogs. I was totally amazed that during a 3 1/2 hour flight not once did we hear the dogs or even really notice that they were onboard. They are truly amazing animals and I think because of that they would form a stronger and even more closer relationship with their owners.

Thinking of you in this difficult time.

Leanne

Leanne, your kind words are so welcoming. I know how much Cindy appreciates them. She is out of town, right now. When she returns I can't wait to hear how she, John and Wexie are doing.

Bailee was not a Service Dog [i don't think]. Wexler is a SD to John. Unless Bailee and Rangeley were retired SD's. I don't remember. Doesn't really matter but I'm sure Cindy will clear it up when she gets back.

You're so right about the connection between the Service Dog and their "person!" It is an amazingly "tight" bond. They are true "partners" in every sense of the word.

Brenda and I spend every minute of every day together. Although, we have separated on a few occasions when I thought that the venue I was working in would not be the best for her. It was so, so difficult. I couldn't wait to get home to her! Okay, I love to get home to Morey too!

She makes "me" complete! She encourages me to be more social and she doesn't allow me to internalize "fear!" She makes me "face" my fears and "deal" with it!

It's bizarre how a "dog" can change who you are and how you deal with the world. I'm a believer, a true believer in the working dog!!!!!

We once flew on a plane with a group of 10 people who all had service dogs. I was totally amazed that during a 3 1/2 hour flight not once did we hear the dogs or even really notice that they were onboard.

I love it when ppl don't notice my service dog is right there even when she is out in plain sight like on an airplane (in the bulkhead row). It speaks to her level of training, not to mention how wonderful she is! :D I still chuckle when ppl ask, "Was she there the whole time?!" or, "Where did you keep her ['til now]?!" (not on an airplane, but at ballgames and restaurants and such).

I love it when ppl don't notice my service dog is right there even when she is out in plain sight like on an airplane (in the bulkhead row). It speaks to her level of training, not to mention how wonderful she is! :D I still chuckle when ppl ask, "Was she there the whole time?!" or, "Where did you keep her ['til now]?!" (not on an airplane, but at ballgames and restaurants and such).

I love it when I bring her out from under a table [at a restaurant] and the people who are sitting around us weren't there when we first arrived. It's the most fun!

And, I get the same question, "was she there the entire time?"

And, since I gave Brenda back her bark, I have to be careful not to trigger that response from her in the most inappropriate times!!!!!

We are setting up a CCI public awareness booth with some puppy raiser friends of ours this Saturday at the Toms River, NJ Founders day street fair. Hopefully it will be a little fundraiser too.

Then next month we are taking Orson back to Disney World for a week.

All the cast members love to see him. They are used to seeing CCI dogs

because of the Orlando campus.

We are setting up a CCI public awareness booth with some puppy raiser friends of ours this Saturday at the Toms River, NJ Founders day street fair. Hopefully it will be a little fundraiser too.

Then next month we are taking Orson back to Disney World for a week.

All the cast members love to see him. They are used to seeing CCI dogs

because of the Orlando campus.

Have a wonderful time and a big "Thank You" for representing CCI. Although, we're out in the public all the time.....I can't believe how many people are always so surprised to see a Service Dog and have NEVER heard of CCI.

Or, there's the folks who run up to me to let me know that they're donors of CCI and are so pleased to actually see one of CCI's dogs out in public. I get both sides of the coin.

Have fun in Disneyworld.

Have any of you been to Legoland? My children want to go and we've never taken Brenda there. Will I be faced with a lot of hot asphalt for her to walk on?

Hi All, I'm back from home. It was alot harder than I thought it was going to be. My mom packed up all the dog bowls and cookies before I got home. My son took down the pictures I had just put up the week before. I went through her toys and brought back the ones I thought Wex would like, the others I threw away. The bed was so empty without her there. But I could feel her there everytime I moved. The car ride is so strange without her huffing and puffing in the back seat. I am having a really hard time with this and I've got to pull myself together. Ok enough of that crap.

The Christopher Reeve foundation did an interview with John and our puppy raisers at the graduation, here is the article http://www.christopherreeve.org/site/c.ddJFKRNoFiG/b.5900171/k.3843/Graduation_day_Celebrating_the_newest_canine_companions.htm

Hope it works!

Cindy

Again thank you for all your kind words!!

Edited by rangeley

Hi All, I'm back from home. It was alot harder than I thought it was going to be. My mom packed up all the dog bowls and cookies before I got home. My son took down the pictures I had just put up the week before. I went through her toys and brought back the ones I thought Wex would like, the others I threw away. The bed was so empty without her there. But I could feel her there everytime I moved. The car ride is so strange without her huffing and puffing in the back seat. I am having a really hard time with this and I've got to pull myself together. Ok enough of that crap.

The Christopher Reeve foundation did an interview with John and our puppy raisers at the graduation, here is the article http://www.christopherreeve.org/site/c.ddJFKRNoFiG/b.5900171/k.3843/Graduation_day_Celebrating_the_newest_canine_companions.htm

Hope it works!

Cindy

Again thank you for all your kind words!!

Cindy, I'm writing this through my tears for you. The article was wonderful. I always love reading about CCI and especially when I see John and Wex in it. Thanks for sharing it.

I can't even imagine [and, everytime my mind goes there......I tear-up] what you're going through. Bailee's toys and treats and bed and back seat of your car and on and on........Hang in there......We're all right beside you dear friend!!!!!!

I'm just so glad that she didn't have a long drawn-out illness, although, you didn't have a lot of time to say goodbye. I don't know if either way it makes it any easier.......she was your baby and you deserve the time to feel sad about her loss.

I hope that Wex is getting stronger and feeling more like himself everyday!

My thoughts and love are with you all.......

Roz

Oh Cindy: What a great article. That sexy Wexy is a super star! And John, what can I say. Can I come live in your city and work with John and Wexy? I miss my special ed kids so much. I go on an Animal Rescue site every day and click for free bowls of food to be donated to shelters. Every day they have two special rescue stories. One today was about a young boy that is Autistic. His beloved buddy died at the age of 18. They went to a shelter to get him another rescue. The shelter was so sweet, they let him go to the cat room where it was nice and quiet and let him "interview" his prospective new buddy. He picked a sweet little girl Chihuahua and named her Mimi. I cannot be a big enough advocate for Service Dogs for Autistic kids. One of the moms, who son is special needs was just diagnosed as autistic. I told her of the great break thrus a dog can have. She is reluctant because of the up keep. She doesn't want to pick up poo. I am so disappointed. I worked one on one with her son for about 4 months. He is just on the verge of blooming and I think a SD would take him over the top. Anyway, I am now rambling because it is close to my heart. Give John and Wexy more hugs. They are awesome. And not to take away from mom, (you) that keeps them safe and healthy and loved! :D

Nancy

Oh Cindy: What a great article. That sexy Wexy is a super star! And John, what can I say. Can I come live in your city and work with John and Wexy? I miss my special ed kids so much. I go on an Animal Rescue site every day and click for free bowls of food to be donated to shelters. Every day they have two special rescue stories. One today was about a young boy that is Autistic. His beloved buddy died at the age of 18. They went to a shelter to get him another rescue. The shelter was so sweet, they let him go to the cat room where it was nice and quiet and let him "interview" his prospective new buddy. He picked a sweet little girl Chihuahua and named her Mimi. I cannot be a big enough advocate for Service Dogs for Autistic kids. One of the moms, who son is special needs was just diagnosed as autistic. I told her of the great break thrus a dog can have. She is reluctant because of the up keep. She doesn't want to pick up poo. I am so disappointed. I worked one on one with her son for about 4 months. He is just on the verge of blooming and I think a SD would take him over the top. Anyway, I am now rambling because it is close to my heart. Give John and Wexy more hugs. They are awesome. And not to take away from mom, (you) that keeps them safe and healthy and loved! :D

Nancy

Truer words were never spoken about the difference that a dog can make!

Have a wonderful time and a big "Thank You" for representing CCI. Although, we're out in the public all the time.....I can't believe how many people are always so surprised to see a Service Dog and have NEVER heard of CCI.

Or, there's the folks who run up to me to let me know that they're donors of CCI and are so pleased to actually see one of CCI's dogs out in public. I get both sides of the coin.

Have fun in Disneyworld.

Have any of you been to Legoland? My children want to go and we've never taken Brenda there. Will I be faced with a lot of hot asphalt for her to walk on?

No need for thanks. We really enjoy doing it. We feel it's the least we can do for an organization that has given us so much. And if we can raise a little money along the way and educate some people so that we stop hearing "oh look...it's one of those blind dogs!!" , it's all worth it.

No need for thanks. We really enjoy doing it. We feel it's the least we can do for an organization that has given us so much. And if we can raise a little money along the way and educate some people so that we stop hearing "oh look...it's one of those blind dogs!!" , it's all worth it.

Love that!!!!! I get it all the time.....and, at first, it used to throw me...."What are you asking?" "Is my dog blind?" "Am I training her?" "What?"

It doesn't matter.....I find it's much easier now, that when I get asked questions and I'm in a hurry.....I just say, "Yes!" It allows me to move-on!

If I have the time, I explain Brenda in detail......otherwise it's all about getting from one place to another in the shortest amount of time I can!

And, sometimes that isn't easy. Sometimes PaPa's in a wheelchair and pushing him and pulling Brenda can be a sight to behold!

Getting into an elevator, on a cruiseship can be an "experience" all in itself! I have learned some very tricky maneuvering skills.......

The worst part about maneuvering a dog and a wheelchair are the folks who think and act like you're putting them out and you're in their way.....and, you're on this cruise or in this store or mall to make their lives miserable!

I have been pushed, I've had Brenda be pushed....I had someone who refused to move over so that I could push PaPa down the hall [she heard me say "excuse me", turned around and then continued walking slowly right in front of us!] I had someone separate me from PaPa's wheelchair by placing their body in my way.

I've had young men literally jump in front of me to get into the elevator, leaving no room for us......and on and on.

When you require a special device to go through life, including a Service Dog, you learn that the entire world does have the same mindset/inner understanding and moral compass that you, your friends or your family may possess.

The worst part about maneuvering a dog and a wheelchair are the folks who think and act like you're putting them out and you're in their way.....and, you're on this cruise or in this store or mall to make their lives miserable!

I have been pushed, I've had Brenda be pushed....I had someone who refused to move over so that I could push PaPa down the hall [she heard me say "excuse me", turned around and then continued walking slowly right in front of us!] I had someone separate me from PaPa's wheelchair by placing their body in my way.

I've had young men literally jump in front of me to get into the elevator, leaving no room for us......and on and on.

When you require a special device to go through life, including a Service Dog, you learn that the entire world does NOT have the same mindset/inner understanding and moral compass that you, your friends or your family may possess.

** Again, I was typing faster than I was thinking!!!!! **

I love it when I bring her out from under a table [at a restaurant] and the people who are sitting around us weren't there when we first arrived. It's the most fun!

And, I get the same question, "was she there the entire time?"

Yeah, or even if they were there when you came in and either didn't see the dog or forgot the dog was there. Or when they see your dog laying somewhere and ask if it is a real dog, LOL! Naw, I just tote around this giant realistic-looking stuffed animal with me to stores, restaurants, airports, etc., LOL!! :rolleyes:

My heart goes out to you and I want you to know many of us without service dogs appreciate their efforts and how they help all of society.

So sorry to hear of Bailees death.

Blessings to you

Betsy

another lost post!!!!!!!

I am so tired of losing long post. I am going to try and cut and paste, hold on.

Last night, hubby was sitting out front. He and Jezzy heard a commotion. The animal control truck was across the way. Hubby couldn't see too well, but thought he brought out a cage and put something black in it. I certaintly hope it wasn't one of my neighbors kitties. Even with the problems we have had, no one deserve that. And of course we will probably be blamed. The kitties go and sit on one of the other neighbors front porch, when the sun gets too hot over on our side. Don't know if she called animal control or not. Then I was thinking, why would animal control respond on a Friday night to just pick up a cat? We are hoping it was a skunk. Haven't seen neighbor yet. Part of me wants to go over there and see if both kitties are home, but then don't want to start something else. Why oh why does life have to be so difficult?

Woohoo! I did it. I would much rather been on a aft balcony of a cruise ship, but since that isn't going to happen, I would like to just sit on my front porch and not be bothered!

Everyone have a good weekend. Mine will be busy.

Nancy