Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

Great name! CCI had suggested to us that when people ask what Brenda's name was when we're out and about, I should make up a name because it can be very confusing and even dangerous in a public place for someone to call her name, she might just bolt [i doubt it but who knows?]

So, I think I'm going to use the name Carbon, very cute. Thank you.

The worst part about getting a Service Dog [if there is one], is that you never had the opportunity to know the dog when he/she was a pup. And, if you get unlucky, as I did, to have Puppyraisers who did not take many pictures during the growing process, a lot of Brenda's growing up was lost. I got some pictures and I treasure those........little, black Labs, are so, so cute. I think they look like little monkeys.

That's our problem with Orson. We don't have any pics from his original puppy raisers. They had some health problems and had to stop being puppy raisers. But we are glad his second puppy raisers took lots of pictures. When we are out and about Orson is known as Bob.

CCI has a new pup named Danger. I think he/she is going to the Southeast campus.

That's our problem with Orson. We don't have any pics from his original puppy raisers. They had some health problems and had to stop being puppy raisers. But we are glad his second puppy raisers took lots of pictures. When we are out and about Orson is known as Bob.

CCI has a new pup named Danger. I think he/she is going to the Southeast campus.

Can you imagine calling "Danger", "Danger", "Here Danger!" Going to be pretty funny!

Next time you're out with "Bob", think of "Carbon" please.

Even more reason for me to keep taking lots of pictures of Cooler. I have an even better idea of the photo part of the journey after putting Cracker's photo album together. I confess, it made my separation a bit easier putting the album together and adding in his favorite toy and seeing him carry it around at graduation priceless. Thanks for all the encourgement for adding a bit of personal stuff to his goodby present.

People keep asking how I am doing after Cracker's graduation. Really, I think knowing how much Cracker's will mean to his new family, is what makes me happy instead of sad. I will always miss his smile and eyes when I walk down the kennel doors, but I can imagine him with those same eyes watching every move his new BFF makes. And hopefully, develp the ability to sense her seizures before they start and serve as an early warning signal. No doubt in my mind that he will be on his toes to go get help in a heart beat.

And now Cooler is winning hearts at the hospital and in the neighborhood.

Even more reason for me to keep taking lots of pictures of Cooler. I have an even better idea of the photo part of the journey after putting Cracker's photo album together. I confess, it made my separation a bit easier putting the album together and adding in his favorite toy and seeing him carry it around at graduation priceless. Thanks for all the encourgement for adding a bit of personal stuff to his goodby present.

People keep asking how I am doing after Cracker's graduation. Really, I think knowing how much Cracker's will mean to his new family, is what makes me happy instead of sad. I will always miss his smile and eyes when I walk down the kennel doors, but I can imagine him with those same eyes watching every move his new BFF makes. And hopefully, develp the ability to sense her seizures before they start and serve as an early warning signal. No doubt in my mind that he will be on his toes to go get help in a heart beat.

You have such a great attitude. It's all about life going on and how we go on is very telling of who are as a person.

You're the kind of a person who moves on with wonderful grace. It's a great life lesson. Thank you!

Roz, don't you feed Eukanuba? I saw this posted on another list:

http://petsitusa.com/blog/?p=3439

Pet Food Recall: P&G expands recall of dry pet foods

P&G is expanding their recent recall, which is due to possible salmonella

contamination. P&G will have people available to answer questions 9:00am to

4:00pm on Saturday and Sunday. The number is 877-340-8823.

The Procter & Gamble Company (P&G) (NYSE:PG) is voluntarily expanding its recall

to include veterinary and some specialized dry pet food as a precautionary

measure because it has the potential to be contaminated with salmonella. No

salmonella-related illnesses have been reported.

Iams Veterinary Dry Formulas

All dry sizes and varieties

Best By Dates: 01Jul10 – 01Dec11

All UPC Codes

Eukanuba Naturally Wild

All UPC Codes

Eukanuba Pure

All UPC Codes

Eukanuba Custom Care Sensitive Skin

All dry sizes

Best by Dates: 01Jul10 – 01Dec11

All UPC Codes

The affected products are sold in veterinary clinics and specialty pet retailers

throughout the United States and Canada. No canned food, biscuits/treats or

supplements are affected by this announcement. A full listing of UPC codes can

be found at http://www.iams.com.

These products are made in a single, specialized facility. In cooperation with

FDA, P&G determined that some products made at this facility have the potential

for salmonella contamination. As a precautionary measure, P&G is recalling all

products made at this facility.

Consumers who have purchased the specific dry pet foods listed should discard

them. People handling dry pet food can become infected with Salmonella,

especially if they have not thoroughly washed their hands after having contact

with surfaces exposed to this product. Healthy people infected with Salmonella

should monitor themselves for some or all of the following symptoms: nausea,

vomiting, diarrhea or bloody diarrhea, abdominal cramping and fever. Rarely,

Salmonella can result in more serious ailments including arterial infections,

endocarditis, arthritis, muscle pain, eye irritation and urinary tract symptoms.

Consumers exhibiting these signs after having contact with this product should

contact their healthcare providers.

Pets with Salmonella infections may have decreased appetite, fever and abdominal

pain. If left untreated, pets may be lethargic and have diarrhea or bloody

diarrhea, fever and vomiting. Infected but otherwise healthy pets can be

carriers and infect other animals or humans. If your pet has consumed the

recalled product and has these symptoms, please contact your veterinarian.

For further information or a product replacement or refund call P&G toll-free at

877-340-8823 (Monday – Friday, 9:00 AM to 6:00 PM EST).

Media Contact: Jason Taylor 513-622-3205

Bev VanZant, from P&G, just emailed this info. In emails we exchanged regarding

last week’s recalls, she told me that the FDA pretty much dictated the timing of

the release. The fact that it’s happening again on a Friday is of concern. It

looks like the folks at P&G are doing their best to get the info out as soon as

possible, but it sure would be nice if the FDA could get things together so

these don’t always happen on Friday (or Sunday!) evenings. FDA, what’s up? Can

you give us some insight on why these recalls seem to be happening on Friday

evenings?

Again, P&G will have people available to answer questions 9:00am to 4:00pm on

Saturday and Sunday. I’ve just confirmed this wieth Bev VanZant, of P&G. The

number is 877-340-8823.

Roz, don't you feed Eukanuba? I saw this posted on another list:

Brenda is fed Eukanuba Senior Large Breed. She has not exhibited any symptoms and we do handle the food and we seem to be fine.

I'll call the phone number tomorrow and see if the Senior kibble is effected, if so, I'll toss it.

Thanks, Quam for the heads-up.

Hopefully she'll be okay!

I called Ukanuba today.....they were very careful to check into the Senior Large Breed to make sure that it was not one of the "recalled" kibbles. All the foods mentioned came from the same plant and the one that Brenda's on is NOT one of them.

Again thanks for letting me know about this. It's great to know that we have each other's backs.

At Brenda's age and with all that we add to her diet, it would really be hard if we had to change it. Not hard on us but, I would think, hard on her.

If a dog has a sensitive stomach, then you change their food slowly over a week or so (mixing the two foods together 'til the old food is phased out). Otherwise, you can change it with the new bag.

Dogs love variety, just like we do, so they don't mind the food change. I get my dog a different variety of dehydrated food every box I get (did the same for every bag of dry food when I fed all-natural dry food) and for her all-natural canned food (made in a facility that makes foods for humans), she gets a different variety every other day. Also, the dehydrated food is made so you can add up to a certain amount (depending on how much you feed) of fresh food to it without throwing off the balance (or you can feed it as-is without a problem), so sometimes I add fresh foods (meat, fish, cheese, yogurt, etc.) or a dehydrated veggie mix (Dr. Harvey's). I always add her supplements to their corresponding meals.

Edited by Quampapetet

:mad:

If a dog has a sensitive stomach, then you change their food slowly over a week or so (mixing the two foods together 'til the old food is phased out). Otherwise, you can change it with the new bag.

Dogs love variety, just like we do, so they don't mind the food change. I get my dog a different variety of dehydrated food every box I get (did the same for every bag of dry food when I fed all-natural dry food) and for her all-natural canned food (made in a facility that makes foods for humans), she gets a different variety every other day. Also, the dehydrated food is made so you can add up to a certain amount (depending on how much you feed) of fresh food to it without throwing off the balance (or you can feed it as-is without a problem), so sometimes I add fresh foods (meat, fish, cheese, yogurt, etc.) or a dehydrated veggie mix (Dr. Harvey's). I always add her supplements to their corresponding meals.

I use to think I was just pampering Valentine. Boy am I glad that I cook for her. With all of the craziness that I have heard about lately I just feel better cooking for her. Dr said it is fine if I give Vitimins and meds as neded. She is so little that it wouldn't take much and she would be gone! I would freak and you'd get to see One large vishous WASP going to China or where ever they made her food!!!!:mad::mad::mad:

You know, I face, on a daily basis [now that Brenda is over 10 years old and is bit slower than she used to be, not much but I do notice it] the scary thoughts of her leaving me. I can't even type the words without going into a teary spell. I hope that I will be strong and able to face that day and the days that follow..........I know, I know.....enjoy her and stop thinking about it.

It's just that I am reality based, in my thought process's and this is one of those realities that I have to face and prepare myself for.

I do hug and kiss and bit more and I don't ignore the occasional poking of her nose into my arm as I'm typing....I try and stop and take the time to look into her eyes a bit more.

Okay......I'm done!

Roz, I know it is hard. I guess I should say we were lucky with Reno. Since he was only 13 I thought he would be around several more years. We had a doberman that lived to be 16. We take good care of our babies. So I didn't have time to think about "that day." I still tear up thinking about my big ole lug. But, we love Jezzy Lou just as much. Her Papa is so easy with her. The little bugger is now jumping up in the dining room chairs, the tall table with taller chairs and then getting on the kitchen table! We have never, ever allowed any animals on the table. We don't eat on it, but just the same, NO ANIMALS ON THE TABLE. Now Papa just says, "Get her down, isn't she cute." I want to clobber them both. But then when we are sleeping, I look over and she is between our pillows with her head on one of them. I like to touch her while I sleep so I know she is safe.

Okay, enough of my tears and babbling.

You're a wonderful "Mommy" to your Service Dog. Everyone should be as careful and conscience as you.

Again, thanks for the info.

I use to think I was just pampering Valentine. Boy am I glad that I cook for her. With all of the craziness that I have heard about lately I just feel better cooking for her. Dr said it is fine if I give Vitimins and meds as neded. She is so little that it wouldn't take much and she would be gone! I would freak and you'd get to see One large vishous WASP going to China or where ever they made her food!!!!:mad::mad::mad:

Call me' date=' I'll go with you![/b']

CCI's Long Island, NY campus starts team training today. Orson's puppy raisers have a dog we are all hoping will get placed. We are looking forward to going to the graduation. Orson was the first dog they had graduate and Tucker would make it two in a row.

Wow! What great people. Let us know how it goes!

Roz, I know it is hard. I guess I should say we were lucky with Reno. Since he was only 13 I thought he would be around several more years. We had a doberman that lived to be 16. We take good care of our babies. So I didn't have time to think about "that day." I still tear up thinking about my big ole lug. But, we love Jezzy Lou just as much. Her Papa is so easy with her. The little bugger is now jumping up in the dining room chairs, the tall table with taller chairs and then getting on the kitchen table! We have never, ever allowed any animals on the table. We don't eat on it, but just the same, NO ANIMALS ON THE TABLE. Now Papa just says, "Get her down, isn't she cute." I want to clobber them both. But then when we are sleeping, I look over and she is between our pillows with her head on one of them. I like to touch her while I sleep so I know she is safe.

Okay, enough of my tears and babbling.

Aren't we a funny bunch of folks. :)

Boy, I couldn't wait for my kids to grow-up and be out on their own. Now, I'm watching my Grandkids do the same.....and, I'm fine...an occasional tear here and there but I'm fine.

Now, bring Brenda into the equation and I'm a "blubbering" idiot!

Geezzz! I'm going to need some very heavy-duty therapy! Oh! Yeh! That's what I've go you guys for! ;)

We can make it a group therapy session! It does help to come here and vent. Of course hubby always says "Are you tearing up? and wth are you talking about." He would understand, but sometimes it just can't be said. We found some of Reno's things while repacking to move. His collar and his first baby, a fleece one that mommy had to sew a flannel patch on its tummy because he ripped a hole in it! I kept those. I know I have more stuff, just haven't come across it.

We can make it a group therapy session! It does help to come here and vent. Of course hubby always says "Are you tearing up? and wth are you talking about." He would understand, but sometimes it just can't be said. We found some of Reno's things while repacking to move. His collar and his first baby, a fleece one that mommy had to sew a flannel patch on its tummy because he ripped a hole in it! I kept those. I know I have more stuff, just haven't come across it.

Awwww! Nancy, Brenny has so many toys and "stuff", I couldn't part with any of it. She's got more stuff than my kids used to have.....Oh! Yeh! That's why they're so jealous of her now!

Great name! CCI had suggested to us that when people ask what Brenda's name was when we're out and about, I should make up a name because it can be very confusing and even dangerous in a public place for someone to call her name, she might just bolt [i doubt it but who knows?]

So, I think I'm going to use the name Carbon, very cute. Thank you.

The worst part about getting a Service Dog [if there is one], is that you never had the opportunity to know the dog when he/she was a pup. And, if you get unlucky, as I did, to have Puppyraisers who did not take many pictures during the growing process, a lot of Brenda's growing up was lost. I got some pictures and I treasure those........little, black Labs, are so, so cute. I think they look like little monkeys.

I think that another cute name for a black dog is ONYX Seems fitting:)

You know I do agree with you... we are a strange bunch. I thought it was just me being weird. I use to be a nurse. FOR 10 YEARS!! I worked everything from med - surg, nursery, peds, even psyc. I held my children while they had their heads sewn up and such but if I have to even hold Valentine to be worked on they are picking me up off of the fkiir.:confused: I have never thought that I needed another name for Valentine when we are out but it just might help. A lot of people call to her. Especially while cruising. Any sugetions?

I think that I have mentioned that when I travel with Valentine that she rides in a carrier that is sort of like a roller board suitcase just for dogs.

Last year when we were in Monoco a lady grabbed her case and wouldn't let go. I had no idea what she wanted with my Valentine but believe me she wasn't getting her. She had one side and I had the other with both hands. She was saying something to me in I think Spanish or maybe Italian but I can't speak either. After all of this confrontation and scaring me to death all she wanted was a picture of her. Can you believe it? Boy did my motherly instincts come out!!! Didn't know I had it in me!:eek:

There are plenty of books and online resources on the way to make a balanced home-made meal (whether you do raw or cooked). That way, you know that the pup is getting everything she needs.

Fresh meals are great (except when travelling), but not for me. I don't even do that for myself much of the time, LOL! ;)

I think that I have mentioned that when I travel with Valentine that she rides in a carrier that is sort of like a roller board suitcase just for dogs.

Last year when we were in Monoco a lady grabbed her case and wouldn't let go. I had no idea what she wanted with my Valentine but believe me she wasn't getting her. She had one side and I had the other with both hands. She was saying something to me in I think Spanish or maybe Italian but I can't speak either. After all of this confrontation and scaring me to death all she wanted was a picture of her. Can you believe it? Boy did my motherly instincts come out!!! Didn't know I had it in me!:eek:

Yikes, that definitely would be scary! I'd be thinking the lady was trying to steal the suitcase/dog, too. Usually if somebody wants a photo, they hold up their camera and pretend to press the shutter button in a dramatic way - or they mime having a camera and doing the same thing, if the camera isn't in their hand. I can't believe she would grab at your suitcase!

You know I do agree with you... we are a strange bunch. I thought it was just me being weird. I use to be a nurse. FOR 10 YEARS!! I worked everything from med - surg' date=' nursery, peds, even psyc. I held my children while they had their heads sewn up and such but if I have to even hold Valentine to be worked on they are picking me up off of the fkiir.:confused: I have never thought that I needed another name for Valentine when we are out but it just might help. A lot of people call to her. Especially while cruising. Any sugetions?[/b']

Sounds like "scooter" would be a good name for traveling.

I guess I am not as strong as I thought. I am missing my Crackers a lot this week. I've been looking at his pictures, especially the ones where he is looking right at the camera, because that is how he would look right at me. I'm going to go work with some of his litter mates tonight.