Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

Hey everyone! Just checking in. Can you believe it has been 4 months since Crackers graduated and is now living in California. I keep hoping that Roz will suddenly run into a handsome golden retriever with a Canine Assistants vest and a little girl at his side...... Cooler is now 6 months old and doing so well. Retrieves multiple items, including my glasses and car keys and gently hands them to me. Took her on rapid transit and lunch at the cafe in Nordstroms yesterday and she was fabulous. Well almost fabulous. The cafe was crowded and our tables were very close to each other. She was quite interested in potato chips that were on the floor and shopping bags. Finally, I cleaned the chips up myself and was able to convince her to do a nice down stay under the table. I had two other volunteers with me and their two dogs, so it had it's challenges. I think y'all would laugh to see Cooler sleeping with her nose less than an inch from the backside of one of the other dogs. I certainly did not care, she was down, she was quiet, she was asleep...... whew

I wish we would run into more Service Dogs and especially one's with little girls attached. With all the running around L.A. that we do [like our day out today at the Griffith Park Observatory], there were dozens and dozens of dogs with their people all over the park but Brenny was the only Service Dog who got to see the inside and all that it offers.

To see a child in a wheelchair who drops their favorite "stuffie" and no one sees it except a stranger, who picks it up - but, if that little girl had a Canine Assistant - the dog would pick-up the toy, or close the jacket or open the door or just be "there" to bring a smile to the child's face. I hope that Brenny and I can be good examples of how much better life can be with these amazing dogs.

Your "outing" with "Cooler" was so much fun to hear about. I love when the Service Dogs lay together and it never fails that a few of them will be "butt" to "nose" and some with their bellies resting against another one's back. So adorable!!!!

Sunshine, How wonderful that Cooler is doing so good! She must be getting so big. Hope to see some pics of her in the near future!

Roz dahling, One of our puppy raiser friends raised this dog and long story short, it ended up being a hearing dog in LA. The recipient sent an email and some pics of the dog and was talking about the workshop that you went to. So she must have been there with you. The dogs name is Enzi and it's a yellow lab. What a small world!!

Cindy

It never fails to amaze me how really small it is. I hope one day that we can run into each other!!!!!!

Hey everyone! Just checking in. Can you believe it has been 4 months since Crackers graduated and is now living in California. I keep hoping that Roz will suddenly run into a handsome golden retriever with a Canine Assistants vest and a little girl at his side...... Cooler is now 6 months old and doing so well. Retrieves multiple items, including my glasses and car keys and gently hands them to me. Took her on rapid transit and lunch at the cafe in Nordstroms yesterday and she was fabulous. Well almost fabulous. The cafe was crowded and our tables were very close to each other. She was quite interested in potato chips that were on the floor and shopping bags. Finally, I cleaned the chips up myself and was able to convince her to do a nice down stay under the table. I had two other volunteers with me and their two dogs, so it had it's challenges. I think y'all would laugh to see Cooler sleeping with her nose less than an inch from the backside of one of the other dogs. I certainly did not care, she was down, she was quiet, she was asleep...... whew

Just like having a human baby; love when they're sleeping!!!!

Honestly, I don't think I'd have the energy, anymore, for a pup. I can hardly keep-up with my almost 11 year old! :rolleyes:

Roz: A new friend of ours brought her 4 year old yellow lab, Bruiser to visit on Saturday. OMG, talk about energy. He reminded me of my Renie so much. I got huggles and kisses and tail smacks. He was out of control. Loved every minute of it! :D

Nancy, I know we're not supposed to encourage that kind of behavior but when I take Brenny's vest off and I make silly noises Brenny can become the goofiest beast on 4 legs. I warn everyone around her to sit-down because if you're standing she'll do that "weaving" in-between you and you're bound to get hit by the tail or a flying leg!!!!!!

So much fun! ;) :D

Last spring a very dear friend of mine was diagnosed with ALS and passed away in June. Crackers and I made many visits to her home and hospice (where the big boy took our breath away with his grace and love). Tomorow we are having an unveiling of a memorial we created at work to remember her by. My contribution was a picture of Crackers' snuggled next to her in bed just being "crackers'. So, Cooler and I are going to the ceremony. I thought about taking one of Cracker's siblings, but they are ALL at graduation camp this weekend....Just another gentle reminder of the great things our dogs do every day....

Last spring a very dear friend of mine was diagnosed with ALS and passed away in June. Crackers and I made many visits to her home and hospice (where the big boy took our breath away with his grace and love). Tomorow we are having an unveiling of a memorial we created at work to remember her by. My contribution was a picture of Crackers' snuggled next to her in bed just being "crackers'. So, Cooler and I are going to the ceremony. I thought about taking one of Cracker's siblings, but they are ALL at graduation camp this weekend....Just another gentle reminder of the great things our dogs do every day....

I believe you shared her with us, as well as a picture of Crackers at her bedside. It's so moving and unbelieveably touching how these wonderful dogs can bring such peace to us and to others.

I'm sorry for your loss and hope that the memories that you and your friend shared together will sustain you.

We love you, and appreciate all that you do for so many. You're an amazing woman. I know that you're friend was very lucky to have you in her life.

Roz: A new friend of ours brought her 4 year old yellow lab, Bruiser to visit on Saturday. OMG, talk about energy. He reminded me of my Renie so much. I got huggles and kisses and tail smacks. He was out of control. Loved every minute of it! :D

Nancy, Nothing like crazy doggie to make us smile!!

Sunshine, I too remember that picture and how Crackers comforted her in her final days. It just goes to show how much these animals mean to us and what they can do for us and not ask anything in return. (Well maybe a cookie or two). And we can't forget the wonderful people, like you, who do these things on a daily basis. Thanks so much!!!

Cindy

Two weeks Roz, I am sooooooooooooo jealous!!!!!!!

I'm so excited! :D Of course, with this Carnival Splendor, [we were on her last January], thing going on in the Riviera right now, has everyone joking with me about changing my mind. NO WAY! She's a wonderful ship, I loved being on her.

Although, I don't know how we'd do under the same circumstances, I'd love the fact that the time onboard was "FREE" and, I'd have another cruise to look forward to! I bought some FCC's when we were onboard and I hope to be on her again in the future! :cool:

I'm not so sure I'd be cruising again, if this were my very first cruise experience though! :cool: :confused:

My boss tease's me every day about getting stuck in Mexico with all the gangs. Give me a break, I'd be the "gang leader" and, Miss Brenny would be my "sidekick!"

I ordered some luggage tag holders on a recommendation from a gal on the Princess Boards. I haven't received them yet. I'll let you guys know how I like them. The website was *****.com. I'm always laminating the tags and stapling them on, only to have them get torn off by the dock workers and luggage handlers so, I'll see how these work. I would always put at least two tags on each piece of luggage, just in case but these holders should spare me that detail.

I love the "anticipation" thing......and, then that drive to the pier and that big, beautiful ship in the distance, gives me huge goosebumps. :)

You might remember them as "thongs" :-) Thats what they were called once before the underwear came around :)

Okay, you guys are too funny! ;) I don't mean what's a "flip-flop" shoe. I mean what's a "flip-flop" luggage tag - read "Rangeley's" response to my buying luggage tags.

She's suggesting buying "flip-flop" luggage tags.

My kids wore their "flip-flops" everywhere. I'd NEVER be caught dead in them! :p

It's a kind of shoe. Do a google search for flip-flop. When you walk in them the back makes a flip-flop sound. Maybe it's an east coast thing.

"Flip-Flop" Luggage Tags! And, it's definitely not just an east coast thing. The California girl and guy [especially the surfer dudes] wear their flip-flops everywhere.

Were they wearing luggage tags? :confused: Probably! :D

Mornin' all

Roz: I went online to Petsmart and they have 50% off halloween costumes. Like Cindy got for Wexy. Around $4.00.

Ok, to add to the flip-flop conversation. I saw ones with fur lined bottoms! I guess thats a cold weather thing! We have snow all over the ground. Jezzy loves it. She is racing around the backyard with her snoot in the snow like a shovel. I thought it would be too cold for her, but no, she comes in shivering and gets wrapped in a beach towel. Of course Auntie is here to spoil her rotten..........

Okay, you guys are too funny! ;) I don't mean what's a "flip-flop" shoe. I mean what's a "flip-flop" luggage tag - read "Rangeley's" response to my buying luggage tags.

She's suggesting buying "flip-flop" luggage tags.

My kids wore their "flip-flops" everywhere. I'd NEVER be caught dead in them! :p

Go here Roz..

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?sku=16305081&utm_source=google&utm_medium=organic&utm_campaign=shopping

You guys are funny! LOL!!

Frank, what's really, really funny is that "Disney" is one of those guys that doesn't say a lot but when he does, he's right-on or so funny that I can literally spit my coffee on my screen!!!!!

It's a guarantee, that you'll be entertained!!!!!! :p

Wow What trouble did I cause now? Roz, I'm glad you had some help figuring out what a flip flop was. Thanks DKD for helping her out, you know how those LA chicks are :confused:.

Nancy, Did you get Jezzy Lou a costume for 4.00? I have to go there cuz I found Wexys holiday pic costume there. I was just thinking you went from 110 degrees to freezing with snow, how are you handling that???

Cindy