Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

Sorry to hear about John, Cindy. Tell him we are wishing him well and hope to see you guys soon. If not at the PETCO fundraiser then maybe at the November graduation. We have a friend going for a successor dog and Bright (May & Lauren) may be graduating in that class.

Thanks Den. That Bright is just gorgeous. I fell in love with her. I'm glad she is going to make it!

[ATTACH]208702[/ATTACH]

This was Crackers on a home visit 18 months ago. He graduated in June 2010 and is a seizure response and balance dog.

You and crackers look like you should be together. The 2 dogs are so beautiful. I think we need to breed a dog that will live as long as us!!

Kudos on the posting pics!!:D Now if we can get Roz to do it!

You and crackers look like you should be together. The 2 dogs are so beautiful. I think we need to breed a dog that will live as long as us!!

Kudos on the posting pics!!:D Now if we can get Roz to do it!

Hey! Stop picking on me.....remember, I'm the older sister!

1072029961_Averycoralchristmas006.jpg.00160cee481428d1d7a4da19c1f4e995.jpg

1107443941_Averycoralchristmas062.jpg.2811ebea35fa48682708ff119fc82ec5.jpg

and finally I introduce you to "Cooler". These were taken at my house this past Christmas. As you can see Cooler is a member of the family. What you don't see is Sandy giving her the side eye in one of the pictures. She said: Keep you butt on the ground or we will never get those treats! I didn't have Christmas Bandana's for them so they were cow girls.:D

[ATTACH]208733[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]208734[/ATTACH]

and finally I introduce you to "Cooler". These were taken at my house this past Christmas. As you can see Cooler is a member of the family. What you don't see is Sandy giving her the side eye in one of the pictures. She said: Keep you butt on the ground or we will never get those treats! I didn't have Christmas Bandana's for them so they were cow girls.:D

I love the pictures of Cooler and Sandy.

Cindy, how's John doing?

What's up with my countdown clock to "Successor" - One month and 4 weeks.....who are they kidding......that's two months no matter how you look at it!!!!! :cool:

I wish CCI would write me already. I'm going to call them if I don't hear from them within the next 2 weeks.

Cindy, how's John doing?

He just asked me for ice cream after eating caramel popcorn, I guess he's doing pretty good!:eek: Seriously, he's good. He is taking tomorrow off too. He read that the 24 to 48 hours after the first TIA are the most crucial time. So I think he's alittle nervous.

A little humor....

First a little about Sarge, he like many pets was left behind by his former owner to get out of Hurricane Katrina's path. I found out about Sarge and his story from a friend in New Jersey. Sarge was found in either Gulfport or Long Beach Ms, he had a broken lower jaw and his tail was broken in two different places. He was estimated to be 6 months old when I adopted him. He is as vocal as King used to be except Sarge demands my attention and as you can see in this short video; he loves to talk back to me. Hope everyone enjoys my smartypants Husky....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dOXrkT8X6kE

Love the grandchildren Roz, they are so cute.

And of course always love doggie pics. :D

Thanks Cindy, I'm a very lucky lady to have such great kids and even greater "grands!" And I'm so glad that John's feeling okay. I hope he continues to get stronger and feel good!

A little humor....

First a little about Sarge, he like many pets was left behind by his former owner to get out of Hurricane Katrina's path. I found out about Sarge and his story from a friend in New Jersey. Sarge was found in either Gulfport or Long Beach Ms, he had a broken lower jaw and his tail was broken in two different places. He was estimated to be 6 months old when I adopted him. He is as vocal as King used to be except Sarge demands my attention and as you can see in this short video; he loves to talk back to me. Hope everyone enjoys my smartypants Husky....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dOXrkT8X6kE

He's a beautiful dog. Thank goodness he found you.

Hi Quam. Yes, we do think Sandy's allergies are seasonal. Once this itch season is over she will be off to UGA's Vet School and undergo allergy testing. However, seasonal allergies can be exacerbated by food allergies, so she is on a food trial for now. She actually looks better and has lost some weight. I suspect the reason she is less itchy is more that we are moving out of allergy season. I'll keep everyone posted on Itchy and Scratchy.

I hope it won't take long to find out what she is allergic to! (I hope it won't cost ya too much, either!)

I guess we will just disagree on this point. Potential recepients are carefully screened, but some still don't work out. The philosophy behind no charging is that many people who qualify for a service dog already have a lot of medical expenses. And we don't want the dog to be a financial burden. I personally did not pay a cent for my cat and I take just as good a care of her as I do my lovely dog who we did lay out some cash for. I really don't take as good a care of my car as I should and I assure you that I paid a lot of $$ for.

The nice thing is that there are many groups out there so the potential recepient can find the best match.

Yes, YOU are like that (and likely everybody else on this thread), but not everybody is. I've heard stories of some ppl with program dogs who have physically abused their dogs in public! :eek::mad: Some programs retain ownership of the dog so they can remove the dog if the owner doesn't treat or take care of the dog well, which has happened. Some ppl will get a program dog, use it for a short time, and then let it "go to waste" by never taking it out, using it, or keeping up its training - it just turns into a pet that some program spent a whole lot of time and money on while their waiting list was several years long. Sad, but true.

I agree with Sunshine on paying for a service dog. When John got his first service dog, he was asked to raise $6,500. When we went back to get another dog, the price had gone up to $9,500. They took the few people that got dogs in a room and told two of them that their dogs were all payed for by different organizations and that all their vet bills for life were taken care of, then she looked at John and told him he would have to come up with the money for everything. He was livid. Here he was with his second service dog from this place, had done so much volunteer work for them, and they couldn't come up with any donations for him. Even though $1,500 isn't that much, for some people it's hard to raise.

That's too bad that they didn't split the money evenly! I wonder if the donations were specific to the dogs or handlers? (If somebody donates for a specific thing, they legally cannot use the money for something else.)

It isn't that hard to raise $1,500 if you try. There are lots of organizations (i.e. Lions Club) and businesses (local and national) and churches that are willing and ready to help out by holding a fundraiser or donating money or helping in some other way. There are also individuals who are willing to donate and Web sites that help ppl take donations.