Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

OK, Quam, here goes!

Someone giving out official info for the U.S. government at APHIS thinks St. Croix is a "country" with unknown requirements (we lived there for years - it is in the US Virgin Islands.)

We all know it is difficult to get any official information on taking your service dog outside the US on a cruise. Cruise lines say this:"Visit the U. S. Department of Agriculture's website to obtain specific information on required documents for service dogs." USDA certified vets also say, "contact the state USDA Aphis office, they'll tell you what paperwork you need." Sadly, this is not true.

We received an email from Aphis (they do not answer the phone number in our state office, but require that you email them). I will put the reply into a separate email. Basically they say, "you're on your own - call the ministry/embassy."

It is troubling that they made no mention of Haiti and screw worm requirements that would prevent the dog from returning to the US without a local Haitian vet certificate, according to US government websites. I am not taking her ashore when Celebrity stop's at their Labadee beach in Haiti.

Our plan is to get the USDA APHIS 7001 Health Certificate from our local certified vet of course, and we have an appointment. We'll also fill out the online forms available for St. Maarten and the EU to the best of our ability, and ask her to stamp them. Then I will put together a packet with gobs of info for the ship and each port.

I am simply not stressing about requirements such as the form can be "no more than 5 days before arrival" into St. Barts - or before the ship sails - because it is impossible to comply with all the mailing back & forth and travel time to the ship.

If Raylene doesn't go ashore, so be it. We'll have done our best. We've taken numerous cruises pre-Raylene, lived in the Caribbean, and frankly don't care if we can't spend a day ashore. We'll take turns "dog sitting" and have plenty of fun on board.

I'll report back after our mid-December, though, on our experiences with officialdom. Our ports are Labadee (Haiti), San Juan - Puerto Rico, St. Croix, St. Barts, St. Maarten.

Can't wait to see friends in the country of St. Croix!

Fairbourne, your cruise sounds heavenly! How interesting that you met other puppy-walkers. That must have been a fun conversation - did you have photos of Miss Aruba to show them?

I saw someone's post on Facebook yesterday that the first Hearing Dog has been trained in Scotland and thought of you.

http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/home-news/meet-aster-the-first-puppy-to-be-trained-as-a-hearing-dog-in-scotland.1416238973

Here's the email we got from the USDA APHIS export office in case anyone is interested:

---------- Forwarded message ----------

Date: Tue, Nov 18, 2014 at 4:33 PM

Subject: RE: Pet Travel

Hello:

For these countries, the requirements are not known:

Haiti

St. Croix

St. Barts

St. Maarten

International regulations are set forth by the country of destination. The USDA, APHIS, Veterinary Services is responsible for distributing those regulations to US travelers and to ensure that, to the best of our abilities, the proper documents accompany the pet(s).

At this time, we have not received definitive regulations from these countries regarding the import of cats and dogs from the USA.

In the absence of specific regulations, owners/exporters are advised to contact the appropriate ministry in the destination country for specific requirements. The first step would be to contact the embassy.

It is the owner/exporter's responsibility to determine and verify that any and all requirements are met.

For these locations, please contact the local Department of Agriculture for regulations at the phone numbers listed:

USVI 340-778-0997

Puerto Rico 787-721-2120

In general, international health certificates for the export of animals from the United States are completed by a USDA-accredited Veterinarian who certifies the animal health status, conducts tests, and records test results for the individual animals being exported. To verify accreditation, contact your local USDA, APHIS-VS office.

Documents can be sent by mail or courier (UPS, FedEx) for review and endorsement. Pre-paid, pre-addressed return labels or envelopes must be provided, or documents will be returned by USPS First Class mail. If you are using a courier service for return, your name and address must appear as both the Sender and Recipient. The USDA should not appear on the waybill.

Documents may also be presented in person by appointment. Call the number below to make an appointment.

For more information on international pet export regulations please visit http://www.aphis.usda.gov/regulations/vs/iregs/animals/

For information on bringing your pet(s) back into the United States please visit

http://www.cdc.gov/animalimportation/BringingAnimalToUs.html

To have a health certificate endorsed by the USDA, APHIS, Veterinary Services, do one of the following:

• Mail the documents to the office nearest you (See instructions towards the end of this email).

• Walk into our JFK Office (First come, first serve basis)

230-59 Rockaway Blvd.

Suite 100, Room 101

Jamaica, NY 11413

Monday – Thursday 8:30am – 2:30pm and Friday 8:30am – 11:30am

Telephone (718) 553-3570

Include the following items in your mailing or bring to one of our offices:

If you are traveling with more than one pet then, each pet must have its own documentation as well as additional payment.

• The health certificate

• Rabies vaccination certificate

• Import permit (if required)

• Rabies titer test (if required)

• Payment:

• Check or money order made payable to the USDA

o $38.00 per certificate

o (if rabies titer test is required) $121.00 for first animal and $7.00 for each additional animal

• We do not charge a user fee for service animals. We do require documentation from an authority declaring the animal as being a service animal.

• We do not accept cash

Mailing Instructions

NOTES:

• Mailed packages take 1-3 business days to endorse

• Overnight the package to an Area Office using a service provider that uses a tracking number feature such as UPS, FedEx or USPS Priority Express. This will allow you to track the progress of your package and will decrease the chances of it being lost in the mail system.

• Include a return label so that we can return your package. Please use a service provider that uses a tracking number feature such as UPS, FedEx or USPS Priority Express.

§ We cannot accept a fed ex or ups label with your credit card number listed as the payment method. If you want to have the return shipment charged to your credit card you will have to visit their website and pre enter the information and include the preprinted label.

• If a return label is not included then, we will return your package using USPS First Class Mail.

Please include all items in a package addressed to one of the following Area Offices:

New York

USDA, APHIS, VS

Attention: Export

500 New Karner Road, 2nd Floor

Albany, NY 12205

Telephone (518) 218-7540 option 1

Fax (518) 218-7545

Email vspsny@aphis.usda.gov

New England (Massachusetts, Connecticut, Maine, New Hampshire, Rhode Island, Vermont)

USDA, APHIS, VS

160 Worcester-Providence Turnpike

Sutton, MA 01590

Telephone (508) 363-2260

Fax (508) 865-3135

Email vspsma@aphis.usda.gov

Pennsylvania

USDA, APHIS, VS

2300 Vartan Way Suite 250

Harrisburg, PA 17110

Telephone (717) 540-2777

Fax (717) 782-3809

Email vspspa@aphis.usda.gov

New Jersey

USDA, APHIS, VS

500 New Karner Road, 2nd Floor

Albany, NY 12205

Telephone (518) 218-7540 option 1

Fax (518) 218-7545

Email vspsny@aphis.usda.gov

Virginia, Maryland, Delaware

USDA, APHIS, VS

Federal Building

400 N. 8th Street, Ste. 726

Richmond, VA 23219

Telephone (804) 343-2567

Email vspsva@aphis.usda.gov

North Carolina, West Virginia

USDA, APHIS, VS

920 Main Campus Drive, Suite 200

Raleigh, NC 27606

Telephone (919) 855-7701

Fax (919) 855-7720

Email vspsnc@aphis.usda.gov

Sincerely,

Export Department

Fairbourne, your cruise sounds heavenly! How interesting that you met other puppy-walkers. That must have been a fun conversation - did you have photos of Miss Aruba to show them?

I saw someone's post on Facebook yesterday that the first Hearing Dog has been trained in Scotland and thought of you.

http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/home-news/meet-aster-the-first-puppy-to-be-trained-as-a-hearing-dog-in-scotland.1416238973

Hi Chris, yes we did indeed have many photos of her ladyship and there was much oohing and aaahing! ;):D It was a chance meeting at afternoon tea one day, the lounge was busy and we joined this couple at their table. Funny out of some 1200 souls on board and we meet fellow British puppy walkers!

I didn't know about the hearing dog pup, thanks for the link - she's adorable!

Well Quam, when we were away, Aruba went into our local supermarket with her Aunty cuddles and what Aunty cuddles didn't know is that my fabulous friend who is Aruba's Aunty Fab works there part-time supervising the self-service check out tills near the entrance.

My friend isn't always there of course when we go in, but this day she was.

The funny thing was she was dressed from head to toe in blue including a long blue wig and a huge blue top hat! They were having a "Blue day" - don't ask me, I have no idea why, but any excuse to dress up and this friend is right there!

But Aruba wasn't fooled - these days because she's a grown up girl now, she has learnt to sit before she greets people, especially strangers who want to say hello. So Aunty cuddles was expecting this good behaviour when she met this Blue Lady, but what she got was Aruba doing her bouncy greeting to those she knows well - and especially those who arrive at her house with treats in their pockets! LOL! Aunty cuddles had never met Aunty fab before, so was apologising for Aruba jumping up - and I think a bit shocked at this unexpected "naughty" behaviour.

Both of these ladies were amazed and had a good laugh that Aruba recognised her Aunty Fab totally disguised (and if you could see a photo of her you would wonder how on earth anyone would have know it was her under that wig! Think of Dolly Parton years ago with the immense bouffant hair down her back but in bright blue!) We all know how clever these dogs are and with their enhanced sense of smell and hearing, that Blue costume did not fool our gorgeous clever Girl one tiny bit!

She's a funny pup, always amazing everyone. :D. Some "pup" - she's the tallest now!

I know that Max and Poppy would love Horton, they'd have so much fun together, for that matter so would Miss. Aruba, I'll be right over! ;) I wish!

Aruba's a big girl now.....do you believe how fast they change!

I'm so glad that your time away was a good one. I love when I meet special people onboard and we become friends forever! And, then to meet them again on another cruise is really the best! Doesn't this sound familiar Marcia!

Good luck getting back into the groove of life!

Come on over Aunty Roz and Horton - any time! :D.

The funny thing was she was dressed from head to toe in blue including a long blue wig and a huge blue top hat!

You've done such a good job with her. I have learned (only since receiving my service dog) that some dogs freak out at the sight of even a familiar person wearing a big hat.

Our obedience trainer had a witch's Halloween hat on last month to illustrate this point, and I was amazed that the other dogs whined and cowered.

You've done such a good job with her. I have learned (only since receiving my service dog) that some dogs freak out at the sight of even a familiar person wearing a big hat.

Our obedience trainer had a witch's Halloween hat on last month to illustrate this point, and I was amazed that the other dogs whined and cowered.

Nothing to do with me ;):). .... This girl is a star ... Nothing much fazes her really, just loud traffic sometimes, then she hides behind my legs a bit, especially when we're walking on narrow pavements and busses or trucks pass. Air brakes!

When she's faced with something new, she sits down, gives it a bit of thinking, and then gets on with it. In fact I realised only recently that she did this the very first time she arrived at our house, being led in by the trainer, all puppy legs on her wee blue puppy lead full of puppy excitement and wonder and then she sat down.

The very first photo I have of her she is sitting with that "working it out" look on her face - looking at me, looking at the house, and hearing the big dogs barking inside! She must have wondered what on earth was going on! :eek: And the first time she saw one of the cats - she sat down so quickly, her bottom slapped on the wood floor! LOL!

OK, Quam, here goes!

Someone giving out official info for the U.S. government at APHIS thinks St. Croix is a "country" with unknown requirements (we lived there for years - it is in the US Virgin Islands.)

We all know it is difficult to get any official information on taking your service dog outside the US on a cruise. Cruise lines say this:"Visit the U. S. Department of Agriculture's website to obtain specific information on required documents for service dogs." USDA certified vets also say, "contact the state USDA Aphis office, they'll tell you what paperwork you need." Sadly, this is not true.

We received an email from Aphis (they do not answer the phone number in our state office, but require that you email them). I will put the reply into a separate email. Basically they say, "you're on your own - call the ministry/embassy."

It is troubling that they made no mention of Haiti and screw worm requirements that would prevent the dog from returning to the US without a local Haitian vet certificate, according to US government websites. I am not taking her ashore when Celebrity stop's at their Labadee beach in Haiti.

Our plan is to get the USDA APHIS 7001 Health Certificate from our local certified vet of course, and we have an appointment. We'll also fill out the online forms available for St. Maarten and the EU to the best of our ability, and ask her to stamp them. Then I will put together a packet with gobs of info for the ship and each port.

I am simply not stressing about requirements such as the form can be "no more than 5 days before arrival" into St. Barts - or before the ship sails - because it is impossible to comply with all the mailing back & forth and travel time to the ship.

If Raylene doesn't go ashore, so be it. We'll have done our best. We've taken numerous cruises pre-Raylene, lived in the Caribbean, and frankly don't care if we can't spend a day ashore. We'll take turns "dog sitting" and have plenty of fun on board.

I'll report back after our mid-December, though, on our experiences with officialdom. Our ports are Labadee (Haiti), San Juan - Puerto Rico, St. Croix, St. Barts, St. Maarten.

Can't wait to see friends in the country of St. Croix!

Chris, your attitude is perfect. Please come back and tell all about your encounters with Immigration, if any!

Edited by wizard-of-roz

It all starts somewhere. Thank goodness for wonderful people who are willing to take these pups into their homes and then have to face the reality of giving them back one day! FAIRBOURNE!!!!

These organizations old and new do an amazingly wonderful job but they're nothing without the PuppyRaisers [Walkers]!

Well Quam, when we were away, Aruba went into our local supermarket with her Aunty cuddles and what Aunty cuddles didn't know is that my fabulous friend who is Aruba's Aunty Fab works there part-time supervising the self-service check out tills near the entrance.

My friend isn't always there of course when we go in, but this day she was.

The funny thing was she was dressed from head to toe in blue including a long blue wig and a huge blue top hat! They were having a "Blue day" - don't ask me, I have no idea why, but any excuse to dress up and this friend is right there!

But Aruba wasn't fooled - these days because she's a grown up girl now, she has learnt to sit before she greets people, especially strangers who want to say hello. So Aunty cuddles was expecting this good behaviour when she met this Blue Lady, but what she got was Aruba doing her bouncy greeting to those she knows well - and especially those who arrive at her house with treats in their pockets! LOL! Aunty cuddles had never met Aunty fab before, so was apologising for Aruba jumping up - and I think a bit shocked at this unexpected "naughty" behaviour.

Both of these ladies were amazed and had a good laugh that Aruba recognised her Aunty Fab totally disguised (and if you could see a photo of her you would wonder how on earth anyone would have know it was her under that wig! Think of Dolly Parton years ago with the immense bouffant hair down her back but in bright blue!) We all know how clever these dogs are and with their enhanced sense of smell and hearing, that Blue costume did not fool our gorgeous clever Girl one tiny bit!

She's a funny pup, always amazing everyone. :D. Some "pup" - she's the tallest now!

Cute story, made me smile! Costumes aren't a big deal for Horton either, just don't pop any balloons!

Edited by wizard-of-roz

We are back from our Transatlantic Cruise from Rome to Ft. Lauderdale on Celebrity. The S class ships are very accessible; my only complaint would be that the shuttles in several ports that Celebrity provided were not wheelchair accessible. Luckily, I had researched public transportation and we were able to take the public ferry and buses with no problem (and we saved money too). There were two service dogs on the ship. One was a guide dog for a blind passenger (which I never saw) and the other was a seizure alert dog. The owner said that the potty box was on deck 5 forward in a crew area. That would not have worked for someone like me in a wheelchair, but she said it was fine for her. There was a small dog on our flight home from Ft. Lauderdale to San Francisco, but it was not a service dog. The owner must have tried to hold it over the toilet or use a pee pad in the airplane restroom – whatever she did was not successful because there was dog pee running under the door – yuck! We had a wonderful time. Now I am back and hoping to hear from CCI with an invitation to February training!

Dianne

We are back from our Transatlantic Cruise from Rome to Ft. Lauderdale on Celebrity. The S class ships are very accessible; my only complaint would be that the shuttles in several ports that Celebrity provided were not wheelchair accessible. Luckily, I had researched public transportation and we were able to take the public ferry and buses with no problem (and we saved money too). There were two service dogs on the ship. One was a guide dog for a blind passenger (which I never saw) and the other was a seizure alert dog. The owner said that the potty box was on deck 5 forward in a crew area. That would not have worked for someone like me in a wheelchair, but she said it was fine for her. There was a small dog on our flight home from Ft. Lauderdale to San Francisco, but it was not a service dog. The owner must have tried to hold it over the toilet or use a pee pad in the airplane restroom – whatever she did was not successful because there was dog pee running under the door – yuck! We had a wonderful time. Now I am back and hoping to hear from CCI with an invitation to February training!

Dianne

So glad to hear that you had a good cruise and that there were Service Dogs onboard.

Remember, where the ship puts the potty box is really up to you. If you're unhappy with the placement, you must speak up. I know that when I take my 14 day cruise in Dec. 2015, I will not be in my usual cabin and I may not be close to a stairwell. I will see when I board if I'm happy or not.

The person who made the "mess" with their dog should be the one to clean it up. This makes me crazy because it makes us all look bad and the public doesn't like to travel with us if we're going to make a mess! If you suspect that you won't be able to clean the mess......ask for assistance. Don't just leave it for the next guy.

Be smart......when traveling with your dog and if you don't have access to a relief area......DON'T GIVE YOUR DOG WATER BEFORE YOU TRAVEL. Your dog will NOT suffer or die from lack of water for a few hours. POTTY YOUR DOG BEFORE TAKE OFF!!!!

Dianne, you're learning so much. I wish I had been exposed or witness to some of the problems that can confront a person with a SD. I felt like I was a pioneer woman with the very first ever SD onboard an airplane and a ship.

It won't be long now, you'll be hearing soon. Keep watching your mail and/or listening for a phone call.

Again, welcome home!!!

Roz♥

It all starts somewhere. Thank goodness for wonderful people who are willing to take these pups into their homes and then have to face the reality of giving them back one day! FAIRBOURNE!!!!

These organizations old and new do an amazingly wonderful job but they're nothing without the PuppyRaisers [Walkers]!

Oh don't .... I'm dreading the day already .... Well we all are! But as Aruba grows up, I'm so excited to think that she's going to go on and be loved by another family and do a great job for someone who needs her help. I've had so much love and fun from this wonderful girl, I will miss her terribly, but she's been a "guest" in our home and good "guests" don't stay forever.

She's off to the vet this afternoon - I think Max got conjunctivitis at the kennels, and her eye is looking a bit red and weepy - actually we are all going! Wish me luck! :eek:

Dianne

Welcome home Dianne - how was your cruise - did you have good weather on the TA?

It won't be long now, we will all be excited to hear when you get your news! :)

Oh don't .... I'm dreading the day already .... Well we all are! But as Aruba grows up, I'm so excited to think that she's going to go on and be loved by another family and do a great job for someone who needs her help. I've had so much love and fun from this wonderful girl, I will miss her terribly, but she's been a "guest" in our home and good "guests" don't stay forever.

She's off to the vet this afternoon - I think Max got conjunctivitis at the kennels, and her eye is looking a bit red and weepy - actually we are all going! Wish me luck! :eek:

Good Luck Aruba & Mum, I'm so sorry that Max got conjunctivitis.....nasty. But, so treatable!

I had to give Brenda eye drops and a Benadryl every day when she came to live with us down here in "trees, grass, plants blooming all year round country", she was miserable with allergies! So far Horton seems okay!

So glad to hear that you had a good cruise and that there were Service Dogs onboard.

Remember, where the ship puts the potty box is really up to you. If you're unhappy with the placement, you must speak up. I know that when I take my 14 day cruise in Dec. 2015, I will not be in my usual cabin and I may not be close to a stairwell. I will see when I board if I'm happy or not.

The person who made the "mess" with their dog should be the one to clean it up. This makes me crazy because it makes us all look bad and the public doesn't like to travel with us if we're going to make a mess! If you suspect that you won't be able to clean the mess......ask for assistance. Don't just leave it for the next guy.

Be smart......when traveling with your dog and if you don't have access to a relief area......DON'T GIVE YOUR DOG WATER BEFORE YOU TRAVEL. Your dog will NOT suffer or die from lack of water for a few hours. POTTY YOUR DOG BEFORE TAKE OFF!!!!

Dianne, you're learning so much. I wish I had been exposed or witness to some of the problems that can confront a person with a SD. I felt like I was a pioneer woman with the very first ever SD onboard an airplane and a ship.

It won't be long now, you'll be hearing soon. Keep watching your mail and/or listening for a phone call.

Again, welcome home!!!

Roz♥

Thanks Roz!

Welcome home Dianne - how was your cruise - did you have good weather on the TA?

It won't be long now, we will all be excited to hear when you get your news! :)

Fairbourne - the weather was the best we have ever experienced on a cruise. In Europe, we had some rain, but nothing to keep us from going ashore and the temperature was in the high 60's (F).

The seas were so calm across the Atlantic that I sometimes forgot that we were on a ship. The temperature was near 80 degrees all the way across to Florida.

Dianne

OK, Quam, here goes!

I love the country of St. Thomas! (Haven't been to St. Croix.) :D

Yeah, I really hate that the USDA site lacks so much info., yet they and the cruiselines continue to tell us to go look there. It can take a lot of time to dig up the correct import info. - Google, pet travel sites, e-mail to the countries, and phone calls to the countries or their embassies. And people wish they could cruise with their pets?!

Aww, naughty little pup sounds very cute! :D Sounds like her sniffer definitely works!!

And the first time she saw one of the cats - she sat down so quickly, her bottom slapped on the wood floor! LOL!

Haha, that reminds me of when my girl throws a doggy tantrum, as she will sit her bottom down loudly on the floor, and if she doesn't get her way, she'll raise her bottom up a bit so that she can sit loudly again! :p She only does this at home when not working, of course, but it makes me laugh 'cause who knew dogs were as bad as kids and throw tantrums?!

Haha, that reminds me of when my girl throws a doggy tantrum, as she will sit her bottom down loudly on the floor, and if she doesn't get her way, she'll raise her bottom up a bit so that she can sit loudly again! :p She only does this at home when not working, of course, but it makes me laugh 'cause who knew dogs were as bad as kids and throw tantrums?!

That's funny - they are just like kids sometimes - if I'm not down stairs timely in the morning - the DH leaves for work around 0630 and I have another hour or so - and the dogs all go back to bed. Thing is only Aruba is housed up in her very large sleeping crate, the other two are in very nice Tuffy beds in the breakfast room. So I hear no noise whatsoever from them until Max feels I should be down getting their breakfast! He stands and shakes his collar with all his "medals" clanking until he can hear me moving around! I could set my clock, but in fact I don't even need an alarm clock with his belly clock! :rolleyes::D

How's your girl doing? :)

Fairbourne - the weather was the best we have ever experienced on a cruise. In Europe, we had some rain, but nothing to keep us from going ashore and the temperature was in the high 60's (F).

The seas were so calm across the Atlantic that I sometimes forgot that we were on a ship. The temperature was near 80 degrees all the way across to Florida.

Dianne

Sounds like you had the same weather we had in the Med. That's why we love TAs, they are so relaxing and the Atlantic has always been kind to us - it's just the best feeling to relax and watch the sea drift by - I can never quite believe just how calm the Atlantic can be, like a mill pond.