Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

Awww, Queenie Roz! None of us would be here if it wasn't for you and our beautiful Brenda Elizabeth! I truly come here for comfort. If I am having a tough day, bam! go to Cruise Critic and "Cruising with a Service Dog!" We have been dragged through the mud, placed on a pedistal and everything in between.

:D Everyone have a wonderful week. :)

I know exactly what you mean! You have a wonderful week too!

So, we're in Vons Market, I'm in line checking out. Horton stands right next to my cart and, of course, there's the myriad of folks; some avoiding him; some trying to sneak a pat; some just staring at him and trying to read his vest.

Horton wears a name tag from my office [as we all do, because it's a "high security" type office], it has his picture and name on it and always garners interest from the public. It would be a great idea if CCI would make them for all our dogs. His name ALWAYS makes people repeat it......"HORTON", "HORTON", "what a cute and funny name!" Just because he looks like Marmaduke doesn't count!

Then a young man, in line behind me, proceeds to tell me the story of his girlfriend who brings her "pet" Maltese everywhere she goes and even bought a fake vest online so she could take him into the stores and restaurants. He says, "isn't that a great idea!" Boy, did he open a "can of worms!"

The discussion took on a different light. You know me, I became incensed and he became defensive.......lovely evening at the market!!!! :rolleyes:

I'm on a roll now, that's three people this week alone who have told me about them sneaking their dogs into public places and bragging about it........they're telling the wrong gal!!!! And, they'd better stop preaching to the choir!!!

Thanks to you, Roz, and to all the new friends we made here in 2014 as Raylene and I began our partnership. I've learned many things, large and small, that have helped us. I'm positive we would not have made our first cruise together without your support. (And I promise a report SOON.)

Today Hearing Dog Raylene and I will practice "Name Call" with my husband, who will have hip replacement surgery tomorrow morning. I am so glad she'll be here to come running and alert me any time he needs me once he is home recovering. Busy times!

Happy 2015 to all!

I hope your husband's surgery went well and that he is home soon.

Dianne

So, we're in Vons Market, I'm in line checking out. Horton stands right next to my cart and, of course, there's the myriad of folks; some avoiding him; some trying to sneak a pat; some just staring at him and trying to read his vest.

Horton wears a name tag from my office [as we all do, because it's a "high security" type office], it has his picture and name on it and always garners interest from the public. It would be a great idea if CCI would make them for all our dogs. His name ALWAYS makes people repeat it......"HORTON", "HORTON", "what a cute and funny name!" Just because he looks like Marmaduke doesn't count!

Then a young man, in line behind me, proceeds to tell me the story of his girlfriend who brings her "pet" Maltese everywhere she goes and even bought a fake vest online so she could take him into the stores and restaurants. He says, "isn't that a great idea!" Boy, did he open a "can of worms!"

The discussion took on a different light. You know me, I became incensed and he became defensive.......lovely evening at the market!!!! :rolleyes:

I'm on a roll now, that's three people this week alone who have told me about them sneaking their dogs into public places and bragging about it........they're telling the wrong gal!!!! And, they'd better stop preaching to the choir!!!

I am amazed that people would not be too ashamed to admit that they were doing such a thing.

Dianne

I am amazed that people would not be too ashamed to admit that they were doing such a thing.

Dianne

It must seem like a good idea to take your "pet" wherever you go. I know that Morey would drag our Shihtzu, "Mai-Tai" wherever we went. We would get special permission from a hotel in Orange County to bring him with us when we'd go down for a visit. He was an extremely well behaved boy and Morey and he were the best of buds. He cost us $9,000 in Vet care. He had a rare kidney disease and would develop kidney stones constantly. Poor little boy really suffered but Morey took amazing care of him.

The only Service Dog you ever saw in those days was a very occasional Seeing Eye Dog [very rarely!]

CCI began in 1975 and was just too new to be seen.

When folks put the "fake" stuff on their dogs they don't realize the damage they're doing to the legitimate handler and dog.

In time it will all be weeded out!

I hope your husband's surgery went well and that he is home soon.

Dianne

Thanks so much Dianne! We were worried last night because his foot was numb and he couldn't walk post-op, but resolved by bedtime and he's now doing therapy sessions and tootling around the Carolina Joint Center on his walker. Hope he can come hom tomorrow, NY Eve.

That's terrible!! Why do the fakers love to tell real service dog teams about how they fake their pets as service dogs?!?!

Thanks so much Dianne! We were worried last night because his foot was numb and he couldn't walk post-op, but resolved by bedtime and he's now doing therapy sessions and tootling around the Carolina Joint Center on his walker. Hope he can come hom tomorrow, NY Eve.

Hi Chris - sending your DH all good wishes for his recovery and getting home today! :)

That's terrible!! Why do the fakers love to tell real service dog teams about how they fake their pets as service dogs?!?!

It's unbelievable that some people are so unbelievably stupid!!! I bet that guy in the store wishes he had never opened his mouth ..... He definitely picked the wrong girl to relate his stupidity to! :mad:

Sending you all, my dear doggy-loving cyber friends, the very best wishes for 2015 with every happiness and lots of fun wonderful doggy times.

We are entering the new year with some trepidation as who knows what the year will bring for Aruba. But, whatever happens, she has been an absolute joy in our lives and I just know that she will bring great joy to her Guide Dog Owner (yes, I'm being positive that she will make it! Although a teeny bit of me wants her not to,,but then that would be a waste of all this work now wouldn't it!)

Keeping PAWSITIVE! :D

Happy Hogmanay! :D

Because, if they were smarter they wouldn't be doing this in the first place!

Why would someone want to hurt someone who depends on a dog to live a complete and full life bring their pet into the public just because they can?

Edited by wizard-of-roz

Horton and I are sending our very best wishes for a complete recovery for dear hubby and a healthy and fun New Year!

Sending you all, my dear doggy-loving cyber friends, the very best wishes for 2015 with every happiness and lots of fun wonderful doggy times.

We are entering the new year with some trepidation as who knows what the year will bring for Aruba. But, whatever happens, she has been an absolute joy in our lives and I just know that she will bring great joy to her Guide Dog Owner (yes, I'm being positive that she will make it! Although a teeny bit of me wants her not to,,but then that would be a waste of all this work now wouldn't it!)

Dear Aruba,

Been there, done that! I know how my PuppyRaisers felt when they were raising me to be the amazingly, wonderful partner that I've become. They cried, went to church to pray about it and then cried some more! They loved me so much, they NEVER wanted to see me leave their side. I loved them too!

As your Mum said, it would have been such a silly waste of time and effort if I didn't graduate and become Roz's best friend. As it would be if you were not to graduate and become the Service Dog you're being trained to become.

I know you, your Mum and Dad and your dog buddies at home will miss each other terribly. They love you so much. But, there's a person who's been waiting for you to come into their life and show them the joys that life can bring. You're going to show them the way and fulfill their dreams of freedom. You have a mission and because of your Mum, you will complete that mission. We're all so very proud of you and all your accomplishments.

I love Roz and I want to do my best for her, just like I was raised to do. My life is full and complete, just as yours will be.

I'll always be your buddy,

Horton Jeffrey

Edited by wizard-of-roz

Thanks to all of you! Your good wishes mean a lot. Bringing him home this afternoon!

Yes, Raylene has been running into our office and checking Bob's desk after walks, looking for her buddy these three days. I took her in for evening hospital visits and she was very subdued, just licked Bob's hand, settled down and then rolled on her side on the floor by my feet.

Of course, she perked up when nurses came in one by one to pet her, and she walked quietly around the wing with me and Bob on his walker, for his PT.

Bob had another doggie visitor yesterday - Golden Retriever Dallas, a Therapy Dog who comes visiting at the hospital weekly with Pat Rapaport - a wonderful trainer here in NC who has been working with me and Raylene for follow-up after she arrived. Pat trains Therapy Dogs, too, and has asked Raylene and me to speak to her class in January about Traveling with an Assistance Dog. I've had a crash course on the subject this wonderful year.

Happy New Year everyone!

Thanks to all of you! Your good wishes mean a lot. Bringing him home this afternoon!

Yes, Raylene has been running into our office and checking Bob's desk after walks, looking for her buddy these three days. I took her in for evening hospital visits and she was very subdued, just licked Bob's hand, settled down and then rolled on her side on the floor by my feet.

Of course, she perked up when nurses came in one by one to pet her, and she walked quietly around the wing with me and Bob on his walker, for his PT.

Bob had another doggie visitor yesterday - Golden Retriever Dallas, a Therapy Dog who comes visiting at the hospital weekly with Pat Rapaport - a wonderful trainer here in NC who has been working with me and Raylene for follow-up after she arrived. Pat trains Therapy Dogs, too, and has asked Raylene and me to speak to her class in January about Traveling with an Assistance Dog. I've had a crash course on the subject this wonderful year.

Happy New Year everyone!

That's great news that you can bring your husband home today!

Happy New Year to all. I am hoping that 2015 is the year that I start my new life with a service dog.

Dianne

I am sure that it is so difficult to think of being without Aruba. She will be very loved in her new home and will be such a great source of help, independence and joy to her Guide Dog owner. What a wonderful gift that you are giving someone.

Dianne

Happy 2015!

I've been meaning to post this link to an article about Raylene and Hearing Dogs in general:

http://www.vetstreet.com/our-pet-experts/dogs-for-the-deaf-the-essential-and-amazing-things-they-do-every-day

Dogs for the Deaf asked me if I'd be willing to be interviewed by the writer a month or so ago, and the article appeared on a website called VetStreet while we were on our cruise.

Hope the new year brings many wonderful things to one and all!

Happy 2015!

I've been meaning to post this link to an article about Raylene and Hearing Dogs in general:

http://www.vetstreet.com/our-pet-experts/dogs-for-the-deaf-the-essential-and-amazing-things-they-do-every-day

Dogs for the Deaf asked me if I'd be willing to be interviewed by the writer a month or so ago, and the article appeared on a website called VetStreet while we were on our cruise.

Great article. :) These special dogs are just wonderful! :):)

Happy 2015!

Great article - they did a really good job of explaining what she can do and how she was trained. Raylene is a beautiful dog.

Dianne