Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

I just saw a rather interesting cruise itinerary. It is 15 days, leaves from Vancouver and goes down to Acapulco then back to Los Angeles. After leaving Vancouver, one stop is in Oregon. In fine print it says, when the ship stops at it's first American port after leaving a foreign port that one must debark the ship and report to customs. You may or may not get the same stateroom! I have never seen that before. I have seen where it is broken up in segments and you can debark (by your choice) but this shows as one continuious cruise. Even if you get the same stateroom, I am not sure you would know and would have to pack everything up anyway?

I love the itinerary and the 15 days but you still have to get to Vancouver. I wish they'd leave out of L.A. or San Diego.

Again, thank you all for such a warm welcome. I had stayed away from some of the cruise forums...one other one in particular... This thread is wonderful, and I'm really liking all of you.

I didn't use the multi-quote function so if I forget anything asked, I don't mean to.

It is an exciting journey. I'm in Central Florida and there are several programs near here. The one I found really resonated with me. I went out and observed classes each weekend long before I applied. Now that I have applied they let me work with a dog during the classes. Ha ha - I've jumped from puppy class to the level just before final training. (my thinking was I was still a puppy) It is a lot more challenging but they said it would be more realistic now as that's near the level of dog I'd work with in partner training.

I so admire the people who raise and train the dogs. The organization (who I refer to "we" often as I now volunteer with them) will be having this year's graduation with the official "passing of the leash". I'm told it's a very moving event, and I can understand why. I'm on the graduation committee and I know they bring like 15 boxes of Kleenex!

Photos. You might be sorry you said that - I love photography and it's a hobby of mine. I photograph many of the classes, and I'll be the photographer at the graduation. Of course whatever dog I get will probably soon be putting their paw up and saying, "no more photos!"

Disney. I love Disney - both Disney World and DCL. (although I have been on other lines and would again) On my cruise coming up in December, I'll likely have a bunch of Disney collars. ;)

I know Disney is great about service dogs. I used to work at Epcot years ago before I was disabled. They couldn't go on the ride I worked for (Soarin') but there are several things that a dog can go on. One of the puppy trainers takes her dog to WDW almost every weekend. She (the dog) loves the boat ride in the Land. She also has a slew of Disney collars, especially the princesses.

Nassau. I've been there a few times so really don't care much about getting off. I have a friend who is sailing on the same cruise with her husband. We're talking about splitting a cabana on Disney's private island. That way my dog will have some shade, water easily available and so forth.

Scotland. Hello! My town is a sister town to one in Scotland called Forres. I've met a couple from there on one of my cruises.

I know I am getting long-winded...easy for me to do on subjects I love! I do have a question though:

Do you bring hearing protection for the muster drill for your dog? Those horns are loud! They get me even though I've got reduced hearing.

I know I will probably end up getting RuffWear boots as the pavement in Florida is scorching. Will try to go out at cooler times, but still might be worthwhile.

I've talked enough for now. Back to reading! :)

Brenda and Horton paid no attention to the horns, whistles or any other noise at Muster. Maybe in the beginning, they'd stare at the noise but by the time they did their second cruise, it was no big deal.

The boots are good if your dog will wear them. My dogs focused so much on the boots, they didn't pay attention to their tasks. You really have to be careful when you're walking with your dog on any areas on a ship that get sun exposure. The decks get BOILING HOT, worse than asphalt. You MUST walk with caution even on the Promenade Deck, if it's not covered.

Once you have your dog you'll become very cognizant of him/her comfort before your own! That's what makes a good Service Dog handler! ;)

And, we NEVER get tired of pictures. I'm the worst at posting them.....I'm picture posting challenged! :p

Second try - my post got deleted when I tried posting some photos...

Roz: I definitely plan to get some of the Ruffwear booties. I know the decks can also get blisteringly hot.

Headless.jpg

This is the Headless Horseman...

Are these too big? I did just find out if you click on the photo, it'll take you to the album I was trying to post. Has about six or so photos.

Edited by thephantomsgirl

[quote name='thephantomsgirl']Second try - my post got deleted when I tried posting some photos...

Roz: I definitely plan to get some of the Ruffwear booties. I know the decks can also get blisteringly hot.

[URL=http://s1181.photobucket.com/user/Hollykins2/media/Dog%20Classes/Headless.jpg.html][IMG]http://i1181.photobucket.com/albums/x433/Hollykins2/Dog%20Classes/Headless.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

This is the Headless Horseman...

Are these too big? I did just find out if you click on the photo, it'll take you to the album I was trying to post. Has about six or so photos.[/QUOTE]

[COLOR="Indigo"][B]That was fun. I totally enjoyed the pix. Horton won 3rd place in CCI's "Haute Dog." Dobie's Mom, Marcia, came to the event. Horton was a genius and did Elvis very well, he'd be proud![/B][/COLOR] Edited by wizard-of-roz

I just tried doing the thumbnail option but it failed for some reason.

When I get my dog I'll probably do a blog anyway (or he/she will do one - ha ha)

We dress the dogs up in class often just to get them used to different things. We will be doing a demo for a Valentine's Day Party so I'll have photos from that. Hopefully by then I can find a way to post them without such large photos.

Back to reading!

[quote name='Quampapetet']My girl loves fruit, too - and even crunchy lettuce! (She hates soggy lettuce, though, and spits it out if it isn't crunchy enough for her liking!! :rolleyes: Who knew a dog could be so particular?!) For Christmas, she got a bag of watermelon doggy treats from Fruitables (the brand name) and is loving those! I do caution everyone to stay away from bananas, though, as they can cause cavities in dogs' teeth. Do be sure to brush your dog's teeth daily, too! (I recommend the C.E.T. brand toothpaste.)

I don't know where Roz gets her salmon oil, but I get mine from The Wholistic Pet (I order online, but their products are available in select stores, too). I get the capsules because liquid salmon oil (albeit I never tried TWP's liquid) is horrible to travel with. If you are an IAADP (International Association of Assistance Dog Partners) USA member, you can get Welactin (liquid salmon oil) for free and I used to do that, until I had salmon oil all over the inside of and contents of my dog's bag on one trip! :eek: That wasn't fun. I decided that paying for the capsules (which are from an organic company, so better quality) was worth it after that! [url]www.TheWholisticPet.com[/url][/QUOTE]

[B]It's so funny that you mentioned lettuce. Pedro loves lettuce too. I can't enjoy a salad by myself anymore. He gives me the sad eyes and I always give in. Crunchy or limp, he will eat it. LOL He loves veggies too. Oh, and forget about ordering a pepperoni pizza, expecting to eat the pepperoni. Pizza night at our house is tough. Pedro goes nuts over pepperoni and our parrots scream for the crusts. One of our macaws, Gloria Estefeather, can even say "pizza." In our house, it's all about sharing...:rolleyes:

I have to check out all of the nutritional supplements you all suggested.

I do have another question... Have any of you encountered any problems in the various foreign ports entering businesses or restaurants with your dogs?Have you ever been denied entry? Any problems with ship or private tours allowing our dogs?

Today, we are at the 30 day mark before we sail. Crunch time.:D

Cindra[/B]

Hi Everyone! It's been months since I've been on the page. Back to school with the kids has curtailed my fooling around on the internet. (This site is in good company as my Farmville farm has suffered as well :) ) I also stated working as a travel agent and that is keeping me busy too, so what internet surfing I do do has a productive purpose now.

We are cruising again this summer! We are going back to Disney, on the Fantasy this time. We are going to the Castaway Cay and the St Maartin and St Thomas and St John. We chose this itinerary because of the ease of paperwork. The other itinerary was just too complicated paperwork wise. We coordinated schedules with my in-laws, and my BIL's family and the week that worked best happens to be the week of our 19th wedding anniversary and my daughter's 15th birthday. My neighbors have also booked this cruise so we know we will all have a fun time!

I only went back a few pages to catch up a little bit. Hope everyone is doing well.

[quote name='cjborne2']Hi Everyone! It's been months since I've been on the page. Back to school with the kids has curtailed my fooling around on the internet. (This site is in good company as my Farmville farm has suffered as well :) ) I also stated working as a travel agent and that is keeping me busy too, so what internet surfing I do do has a productive purpose now.

We are cruising again this summer! We are going back to Disney, on the Fantasy this time. We are going to the Castaway Cay and the St Maartin and St Thomas and St John. We chose this itinerary because of the ease of paperwork. The other itinerary was just too complicated paperwork wise. We coordinated schedules with my in-laws, and my BIL's family and the week that worked best happens to be the week of our 19th wedding anniversary and my daughter's 15th birthday. My neighbors have also booked this cruise so we know we will all have a fun time!

I only went back a few pages to catch up a little bit. Hope everyone is doing well.[/QUOTE]

[COLOR="Indigo"][B]CJ Good to hear from you. I'm glad that you've got some cruising in your future. And, being a travel agent will be lot of fun for you![/B][/COLOR]

[quote name='tvaud'][B]It's so funny that you mentioned lettuce. Pedro loves lettuce too. I can't enjoy a salad by myself anymore. He gives me the sad eyes and I always give in. Crunchy or limp, he will eat it. LOL He loves veggies too. Oh, and forget about ordering a pepperoni pizza, expecting to eat the pepperoni. Pizza night at our house is tough. Pedro goes nuts over pepperoni and our parrots scream for the crusts. One of our macaws, Gloria Estefeather, can even say "pizza." In our house, it's all about sharing...:rolleyes:

I have to check out all of the nutritional supplements you all suggested.

I do have another question... Have any of you encountered any problems in the various foreign ports entering businesses or restaurants with your dogs?Have you ever been denied entry? Any problems with ship or private tours allowing our dogs?

Today, we are at the 30 day mark before we sail. Crunch time.:D

Cindra[/B][/QUOTE]

[COLOR="Indigo"][B]Cindra, the lettuce eaters are so funny. Neither of my dogs would ever eat it! [/B][/COLOR]

[COLOR="Indigo"][B]Good question about the various places in port that may or may not welcome you in. Remember, they don't have to allow your dog to enter their businesses be prepared for some snarly looks and even some who will ask you to leave.[/B][/COLOR]

[COLOR="Indigo"][B]If you're on a ship excursion the chances are better but not guaranteed either. If you're going to be catching a cab, some drivers will NOT allow your dog inside. [/B][/COLOR]

[COLOR="Indigo"][B]Planning is always good. You can rent a private car and driver and just be prepared for establishments that don't allow you in.[/B][/COLOR]

[quote name='tvaud'][B]

Cindra[/B][/QUOTE]

Yes, in St. Barthelemy in December, no dogs were allowed in Le Select, including service dogs. That's the famous bar that in theory was the inspiration for Jimmy Buffet's song, "Cheeseburger in Paradise." I pick my battles, and since St. Barth is a very pricey island to begin with, chose to spend my money in a very friendly shop instead.

Taking a large dog on a tour involving any form of public transportation even in the US is like Forrest Gump's box of chocolates. You never know what you're going to get. Add in a possible language barrier and different laws or customs ...

The best option for me in the future is to reserve a rental car, private taxi or van tour and communicate via email in advance with the owner of the business to avoid surprises. Businesses outside the US have no obligation to follow ADA laws, so you could ask a private tour guide about entry at your planned stops.

Question: Have any of you on this thread done a group with service dogs on a cruise? The organization I volunteer with is toying with the idea of doing one next January or February. Curious as they'd need enough potty boxes if there were 8 or more dogs.

Went to the Key Lime Pie Festival at Port Canaveral yesterday with two of the dogs. Was a lot of fun and we got to see both the Disney Fantasy and the Carnival Sunshine sail away. The dogs had a blast, and loved the Black Dog Gourmet booth. (both dogs were black labs) They got pulled pork and their photos in front of the booth.

Tons of photo ops actually. I'm still trying to figure out how to post smaller thumbnails so as not to put such huge photos on here. Also tried the link to my Photobucket Album and that didn't work well. (warned you I am a photo nut)

Holly Edited by thephantomsgirl

[quote name='thephantomsgirl']Question: Have any of you on this thread done a group with service dogs on a cruise? The organization I volunteer with is toying with the idea of doing one next January or February. Curious as they'd need enough potty boxes if there were 8 or more dogs.

Went to the Key Lime Pie Festival at Port Canaveral yesterday with two of the dogs. Was a lot of fun and we got to see both the Disney Fantasy and the Carnival Sunshine sail away. The dogs had a blast, and loved the Black Dog Gourmet booth. (both dogs were black labs) They got pulled pork and their photos in front of the booth.

Tons of photo ops actually. I'm still trying to figure out how to post smaller thumbnails so as not to put such huge photos on here. Also tried the link to my Photobucket Album and that didn't work well. (warned you I am a photo nut)

Holly[/QUOTE]

[COLOR="Indigo"][B]Holly, more than one dog can use a potty box. As long as you're picking up the solid waste and there is a lot of filler in the box there's no reason that a few dogs can't use the box. So, for 8 dogs I would suggest 3 box's. That would be for average and large size dogs. Smaller dogs would only need two box's.[/B][/COLOR]

[COLOR="Indigo"][B]I can't wait for your photos. DKD is really good at posting pictures.[/B][/COLOR]

More questions!

Still looking at a service dog group cruise for our organization. We'd really want to sail out of Port Canaveral as it's the closets for most people. Also pretty much decided a four day would be best for most as well.

So that puts it between the Carnival Sensation and the Royal Caribbean Enchantment of the Seas.

I've been on the Sensation and liked it well enough. Looks like the RCCL ship has a few more perks. What are your thoughts - having traveled with SD's - either one win over the other.

I know it's been mentioned on here but I'm still in the early pages...

Holly

Hi Phantomsgirl

Your photos have certainly put a smile on my face this cold brrrrrr morning!

Who is the black person with the White paws? So cute and I love when they cosy up together!

Did I spot a certain "Wizard of Roz" theme going on? Our Roz will want those red shoes! LOL!

Lovely dogs, lovely photos and they all looked like they were having such fun - humans too!

Don't worry we never bore of photos! I must try and get some new shots of Miss Aruba.

[quote name='fairbourne']
Who is the black person with the White paws? So cute and I love when they cosy up together!

Did I spot a certain "Wizard of Roz" theme going on? Our Roz will want those red shoes! LOL!
[/QUOTE]

That is Hector with the white paws with his "sister" Serena. Hector is amazing. He, along with four other lab mixes were rescued a day before they were to be put down at a kill shelter. He is being trained by the woman who has Serena and he is doing so well. :)

He is taking to being a SD like he was born to it, and I love seeing how happy he is now. I think they had a bit of a hard start to life and it's all changed now. Out of the five, four are being trained as SD's. One of them had a torn ACL, so he's now a pet dog and is happy because he has a "person".

Can't guarantee that all of the four being trained will make it as a SD, but they are all happy dogs. I think rescue dogs just know that life has changed and it's good to be alive.

Any photos with costumes were taken at an event. Most of them were at the Halloween Monster Mash. And yes, one SD handler and his family came dressed in a Wizard of Oz theme. The lion is their SD, and the Tin Man was staying with them for basic training. The little "Toto" is their pet dog. She made all the outfits, and found the shoes somewhere. They won one of the prizes for best costumes.

This weekend we are going to a Mardi Gras dog parade. Should have some good photos from there.

Phantom, I have never sailed on RCL, but the last trip was Carnival that went to the Bahamas.

If you decide on Carnival, please, please, please make sure that ALL departments know about the dog(s). We had a TERRIBLE transportation issue come up in Nassau during our cruise last two summers ago. When my husband and I went went to board the shuttle to Atlantis with the dog, we were denied boarding and were told [U]we should have[/U] made special arrangements. When we went back to the ship, we were told that they were not aware the dog would be going on the excursion with us. If disability services and housekeeping knew, and they had copies of the paperwork, explain to me how they did NOT KNOW? We took similar transportation the day before in Freeport and the shuttle van driver could not have been more helpful.

If you do sail Carnival, I would, of course, fill out the needed paperwork before you board and then follow up once you get on the ship.

In the end, we did get to Atlantis, but wasted a good part of the day and had to cut the visit short to make sure we could grab a cab that would take the dog. My kids were traumatized because my husband and I could not get on the bus (they were with their grandmother and other extended family). And Atlantis is huge. It took a while for us to find them once we got on property.

Has anyone tried to call the Bahamian Dept of Agriculture recently? We are going to Castaway Cay in July and I need to get the import permit. I have had no luck calling (no answer). I'm thinking I should just mail a request and keep trying via phone. I didn't have a problem for previous trips.

[quote name='cjborne2']Has anyone tried to call the Bahamian Dept of Agriculture recently? We are going to Castaway Cay in July and I need to get the import permit. I have had no luck calling (no answer). I'm thinking I should just mail a request and keep trying via phone. I didn't have a problem for previous trips.[/QUOTE]

Cjborne - I am pretty sure I have copies of what you need. Disney sent them to me. I need to get to a different computer to double check that they are not Disney specific. If they are not - I can email you with the attachments. (just don't have Word on this computer)

I have the Bahamian Application, the Bahamian Import Requirements, and the Bahamian Medical Certificate.

Holly

This is a great site. We saw several Service Dogs on the RCCL lines with grass and a wooden box. I am with Lions Club International so we often purchase Service Dogs for those in need of one. :)

It is nice to read about how they have and can change lives. And how accessible the Cruise Companies are making things. :)

The Cruise Critic is such a great forum for information. Edited by Folk Singer

[quote name='cjborne2']Has anyone tried to call the Bahamian Dept of Agriculture recently? We are going to Castaway Cay in July and I need to get the import permit. I have had no luck calling (no answer). I'm thinking I should just mail a request and keep trying via phone. I didn't have a problem for previous trips.[/QUOTE]

I have the forms, but just re-read your posting. Since you are going to Castaway Cay - you [B]have[/B] to be sailing Disney. The best thing for you to do is to contact Special Services as they'll send you the forms, make sure your reservation is marked for having a Service Dog - which will make your whole life easier. In fact, they want you to contact them when sailing with a SD.

Here is the email address and phone number - VERY nice people:
[email]specialservices@disneycruise.com[/email] P: 407-566-3602 | F: 407-566-3760

Holly Edited by thephantomsgirl