Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

Well, we just can't help ourselves. (Like I saw on someone's post once: "I don't have cruise control. They just sort of book themselves.")

Chris,

You do realize that this quote is on a t-shirt that you can currently buy. It pops up on my facebook page at least a few times per week. I've even thought about buying one. LOL

Cindra

Roz,

I was wondering why they just don't put the box on your balcony, if you have one? Wouldn't that make more sense? I thought I read somewhere that they wouldn't do that for sanitary reasons. As long as you keep it clean and the steward can change out the filler, if necessary, why would there be a problem?:confused:

Cindra

Princess doesn't like to do it even if you have a HUGE balcony because of the winds and smells that can linger from the box to the other decks.

I always pick up the waste, bag it and twist tie the bag closed and drop it into a waste basket provided. It's taken away daily.

If they use cedar chips there is no smell from the urine. If they use wood shavings they can get blown from deck to deck. It's a health issue if someone's eating on their deck, and I can understand that some folks wouldn't want to be within wind range of the potty box. Also, if the steward doesn't maintain the box well it will have an odor.

I ALWAYS insist that they leave the bag of litter near the box so that I can fill and cover when I need to. They tend to be skimpy on the litter not allowing the dog to turn [as they normally do] without kicking up and making some bare spots. The more litter the better! You can't expect them to change the litter entirely in a one week cruise. Maybe for a two week, they should.

I like the potty box in the stairwell nearest my cabin. I can walk to it in my PJ's and it's out of the way of the public. No questions, No curiosity, No Paparazzi! [i've had people take pictures of Brenda going potty onboard the Oosterdam], it was so embarrassing and she wouldn't go after a while, if someone was watching her!

Yay! Sista, Sista, Cindy is back! I missed you so much!, I had to take all the brow beatings by myself! As you can see Queenie Roz is alooding (sp) to the fact that she is NOT chatty. We all know that the three of us can out chat any chat that is chattering on! :p I do not know of what she speaks, "wads of oil". Me thinks with the winds blowing out west, here, that her "Big Blonde Hair" poufing up big time!

I am glad you have your boys back under control and all are healthy at the moment. Nothing like whiny boys! I know I have a giant one! Thank goodness my furkids are girls, although that little Terr-o-rist Mix is a cry baby! She must be a daddy's girl.

Well, need to get things ready for Boy Scouts. Will "chat" later........:D

Congratulations, that sounds wonderful. Not as wonderful as going onboard the Golden Princess on April 6th for 10 days. We could sail together, how about it? You said you don't care so, why not?

Well darn, if it weren't for the coast-to-coast flight, that would have been major fun!!! Raylene and Mr. Horton - an epic match-up! Great rates on Princess, too...

Bob booked it, paid in full earlier today...but I'm keeping this idea in mind for the future, Ms. Roz!!

This time we can drive down to Tampa to sail, or maybe we'll try flying with her on that short flight before undertaking a long one. (Though she flew from Oregon to the east coast, so I think would be fine.) I'd love to do a transatlantic with her someday.

I do like HAL...it's been four years since we sailed with them. Love their full promenade decks. We won't have a balcony this time, but will be midship next to a door out to the Lower Promenade Deck. Should be a lot more convenient for those "Box Walks" than our first cruise was.

OK...someone is gonna have to rein me in. I went a little crazy late last night. I found the cutest shirts for Pedro. After all, we will be deep in the Caribbean and South America...he has to fit in and look the part. Just because he is working, doesn't mean he can't be on vacation too...and be a style icon.;) I am a fashion slave, so it had to rub off on Pedro at some point. Besides, there was room in his suitcase.:p I ordered him a couple of Hawaiian style shirts, one that says "Bitches Love Me," a set of tuxedo collar/bowtie and cuffs and a Panama hat...yes, a hat. Actually, the ships can get cold and he has a thinner coat, so I don't want him to get cold.;)

Do I need to be committed...? Or do the Fashion Police need to come and lock me up?

Cindra

Edited by tvaud

I have an idea in my head... You know how some people take a doll or stuffed animal or gnome with them on trips, and photograph them in famous landmarks? I thought it would be fun to photograph Pedro like that...for example, on the balcony while going through the canal or learning about coffee at the coffee plantation in Costa Rica, or at the beach in Aruba. It's too bad we can't bring him into Jamaica. It would have made a great pic of him near the falls at Dunn's River. I just hope I remember to bring a camera...or camera phone...to get these shots.

Speaking of camera phones, my love of small things continues. After Christmas, I decided to buy a few magnetic lenses for my phone. I had been researching them...and put them on my Christmas list, since they are pretty inexpensive. Well, since no one in the family got me any, I bought them myself. One set of three lenses was under $10 and contained a wide angle, a short telephoto and a macro lens. Along with that set, I got a longer telephoto lens that came with a mini tripod. I have been playing with them and they are actually quite good! Since the entire lot takes up very little space, I can carry them with me almost anywhere. Now, I just have to remember to turn off the roaming feature on the phone...and turn on "airplane mode."

Cindra

Edited by tvaud

Yay! Sista, Sista, Cindy is back! I missed you so much!, I had to take all the brow beatings by myself! As you can see Queenie Roz is alooding (sp) to the fact that she is NOT chatty. We all know that the three of us can out chat any chat that is chattering on! :p I do not know of what she speaks, "wads of oil". Me thinks with the winds blowing out west, here, that her "Big Blonde Hair" poufing up big time!

I am glad you have your boys back under control and all are healthy at the moment. Nothing like whiny boys! I know I have a giant one! Thank goodness my furkids are girls, although that little Terr-o-rist Mix is a cry baby! She must be a daddy's girl.

Well, need to get things ready for Boy Scouts. Will "chat" later........:D.

Oh little Nancy pants. I see you and Roz are causing trouble again. I guess nothing has changed. :D. Not sure what the oil thing is and I probably don't want to know.

Sent from my SCH-S738C using Forums mobile app

Mornin' all:

Cindy: I have been putting coconut oil on Jezzy Lou's food and Quam and I have been having a discussion on how to distribute it on the food. I don't even melt it, I just smoosh it (the wads of which Roz refers to!) Quam doesn't like using an extra container in the microwave, because she doesn't want to have to wash an additional, oily container! :eek: I just use a knife and rinse it off with hot water, then wash thoroughly with rest of the dishes...........blah, blah, blah...Great to have you back, you will have to get back on the tracks and get your keystroke lashings too! :D

Am I here?? Yessssssssssssssss

Hi Everyone!!!! I came in the other day and wrote this big long thing and then the friggin laptop lost it :eek::mad: Whoever invented the mouse pad thingy on a laptop should be shot. lol I have connected our wireless mouse and I am happy. :D

I heard from a little birdie that we are on our cruise right now. Contrary to popular belief, we are not on a cruise right now. 2 weeks to go. But we are very excited.

In the past 2 months, John has had 2 bad shoulders and a bad neck. He is finally well and he better stay that way.

As some of you know, Wex had a horrible ear infection. We just finiched 2 weeks of ear meds. He stayed home a few days cuz we didnt want the kids at school touching his ear because they were so sensitive. He is all better now. :D

We had a nice but busy holiday. We went to both families this year back and forth from mass to ct. Not fun. John getting in and out of my car killed his arm and he spent his whole vacation sitting doing nothing. That was fun.

Johns mom has offered to buy us a new van. So we started the process. I have no idea how long this is going to take. We have to buy the van and then it goes somewhere to get equipped with all the handicapped stuff. He is hoping we will have it by the summer. He is not happy that I am making him get a minivan instead of another econoline van like we have now. Well it drives like a truck for one thing, its too big and sucks up the gas.

I have tried reading back a few pages to catch up but I will never be able to read everything.

I hope everyone is well! Now that I hooked up the mouse, maybe I can come back more often. I miss all my friends. :D

Cindy

Cindy, have you looked into an MV-1? They are purpose built for wheelchair passengers from the ground up. We saw one at the KC Ability Expo last fall. Awesome vehicle! Price not bad at all either.

Thanks!

Beckie

On a crappy note, I got some disturbing news last night. The Sheriff's Department I retired from had one of their K-9's shot and killed. Sultan is a hero, fly with the angels. :( The Jack Wagon that did it was holed up in a house. Don't know if they got him out or not. Not looking forward to reading much more about it.

Just went and updated the news. The felon was shot and killed by the swat team. Sad state of affairs all around. I will stop there.

Edited by S.S. Cruisers

I have an idea in my head... You know how some people take a doll or stuffed animal or gnome with them on trips, and photograph them in famous landmarks? I thought it would be fun to photograph Pedro like that...for example, on the balcony while going through the canal or learning about coffee at the coffee plantation in Costa Rica, or at the beach in Aruba. It's too bad we can't bring him into Jamaica. It would have made a great pic of him near the falls at Dunn's River. I just hope I remember to bring a camera...or camera phone...to get these shots.

Speaking of camera phones, my love of small things continues. After Christmas, I decided to buy a few magnetic lenses for my phone. I had been researching them...and put them on my Christmas list, since they are pretty inexpensive. Well, since no one in the family got me any, I bought them myself. One set of three lenses was under $10 and contained a wide angle, a short telephoto and a macro lens. Along with that set, I got a longer telephoto lens that came with a mini tripod. I have been playing with them and they are actually quite good! Since the entire lot takes up very little space, I can carry them with me almost anywhere. Now, I just have to remember to turn off the roaming feature on the phone...and turn on "airplane mode."

Cindra

Cindra, maybe you could get a shot of Pedro from the ship with Jamaica in the background. I love your photo idea!

Thanks!

Beckie

Cindy oh Cindy, I've missed you so. Honestly, I'm such a baby. But, I don't like it when you're not around. Let's see if I can bring you up to speed........

We have a few new friends onboard with us and that's always fun.

Quam is still balling us out for one thing or another!

Aruba is eating everything in her sight.....not a good thing, or fun for her Mum!

Trudy is still MIA.....we miss her!

DKD is his typical self; misbehaving very badly!

Nancy's busy playing with wads of oil....Personally, sounds very yucky!

Chris is giving advice to the newbies.........Holly, Cindra and there's Pedro and a bird named Gloria Estefeather...We're becoming a very eclectic group. There's a Folksinger and a Phantom'sgirl.

cjborne popped in to say hi.

I'm sorry to hear about John's ache's and pains and poor Wexy's ears. I hate it when these Labs start with the ear problems. But I am so glad to hear about the new van.

I, too, hate the darn lap tops and don't do well with the mouse pad. I'm always either wiping out what I just did or adding something that I never wanted.

In any case it's so good to hear from you. Stay onboard!!! :D

Wait...I resemble that remark!!