Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

Handsome guy and such a pretty girl. He looks so happy, so does she!

Life is so good when our kids are happy!

I only see one picture. Cindy, you've been away for so long, you're getting rusty!

They are so happy and so am I. He says it was worth the wait. Shes a great girl. You know that she is going on the cruise with us. They got their own cabin across the hall from us.

two pics showed up on my phone. Not sure whats going on. I am out of practice. lol

Ok here's Bright.................... She is just beautiful. Also Wexler and his baby sister Wilara.

Hi Cindy - we've missed you around here. Delighted you're back! :D

These are so cute and the one of Wex and Wilara - oh my dawg these pups are so adorable - I think Wex is trying to look so grown up with his Gorgeous princess at his side! :D

DKD - I watched your video link and several others - fascinating stuff and I am so impressed with it all, and I think the prison programme is such a good idea, for all parties involved. I wonder if we do something like this here. Must ask. If not, why not, I say!

Well, we've progressed a bit on the "stealing front" - when Aruba takes a slipper for example I'm trying to get her to bring it back - retrieve and hand over, all quite calmly without fuss, so she doesn't get excited and think "good game, good game" :rolleyes: if she doesn't come I just ignore her. Well, you never know when this retrieve task might come in useful. And if it's her Dad's slipper she steals, I'm working on sending her back to her Dad with it, again to hand over to him. She does hand stuff over without fuss, no tugging.

Missy Aruba will be 11 months old end of next week! It doesn't seem that long ago I was saying she was 11 weeks old! She's discovered ice - as in chunks of ice that have fallen off stuff in the garden or out of the frozen bird bath - just loves to chew a large chunk!

Have a great weekend everyone - love the photos, love the chats, love the information, it's a great family we have here. :D

They are two cuties!!!!

I have been watching "Wrangler" on the today show. He is for guiding eyes for the blind. They showed him the first day and now you hardly see him. I thought they were going to show some training but I guess not.

Sent from my SCH-S738C using Forums mobile app

Ok here's Bright.................... She is just beautiful. Also Wexler and his baby sister Wilara.

OMG! I want to cuddle those little munchkins! They are so cute but they grow up so fast. It just amazes me how quickly our beloved dogs become seniors. I can't stand it.

And, I remind myself to enjoy and cherish every single moment with him!!!

Hi Cindy - we've missed you around here. Delighted you're back! :D

These are so cute and the one of Wex and Wilara - oh my dawg these pups are so adorable - I think Wex is trying to look so grown up with his Gorgeous princess at his side! :D

DKD - I watched your video link and several others - fascinating stuff and I am so impressed with it all, and I think the prison programme is such a good idea, for all parties involved. I wonder if we do something like this here. Must ask. If not, why not, I say!

Well, we've progressed a bit on the "stealing front" - when Aruba takes a slipper for example I'm trying to get her to bring it back - retrieve and hand over, all quite calmly without fuss, so she doesn't get excited and think "good game, good game" :rolleyes: if she doesn't come I just ignore her. Well, you never know when this retrieve task might come in useful. And if it's her Dad's slipper she steals, I'm working on sending her back to her Dad with it, again to hand over to him. She does hand stuff over without fuss, no tugging.

Missy Aruba will be 11 months old end of next week! It doesn't seem that long ago I was saying she was 11 weeks old! She's discovered ice - as in chunks of ice that have fallen off stuff in the garden or out of the frozen bird bath - just loves to chew a large chunk!

Have a great weekend everyone - love the photos, love the chats, love the information, it's a great family we have here. :D

Fairbourne, you've taught me what to do. Thank you! I have been chasing and making a fuss and, you're right, he thinks it's a great game.

I'm going to ask him to "give" it and when he runs away I will NOT call his name, nor will I chase after him as he's galloping away, with a grin on. I'll repeat the command and if he still doesn't come to me.......I will ignore him, go to my chair and wait for him. And, there will be NO tug of war!

I ask him to "sit" and then I walk over and ask him to "give." I will have some treats for him in my pocket to make it worth his while.

Thanks for the help!

Edited by wizard-of-roz

On a crappy note, I got some disturbing news last night. The Sheriff's Department I retired from had one of their K-9's shot and killed. Sultan is a hero, fly with the angels. :( The Jack Wagon that did it was holed up in a house. Don't know if they got him out or not. Not looking forward to reading much more about it.

Just went and updated the news. The felon was shot and killed by the swat team. Sad state of affairs all around. I will stop there.

Nancy, I haven't ignored this, I just was so upset I was afraid of what I'd say.

I wish they hadn't shot the creep and the handler was allowed just a few minutes to let the monster know how much he's hated!

Can you imagine what the police officer was feeling when he had to drive home without Sultan. Makes me tear-up just thinking about it.

Sultan was a true hero, too sad.

I will be cruising with my blind friend and her Labrador SD. Last year we went to Nassau (did not get off the ship) and Key West. This year we are going to Cozumel and Key West. Does anyone have experience with any stray dogs in Cozumel? I am nervous because I would be the only one looking out for dogs that might attack the SD. We probably would just be shopping in Cozumel, and not on a ship-sanctioned excursion.

Last year in Key West we had a pit bull puppy on a parked motorcycle snap at the SD and had a pit bull on the street that the owner had to restrain. It scares me a bit because I feel responsible. An attack in Mexico would be even more scary.

Any advise?

Thanks.

The trouble with doing a group cruise is everyone has to book within a two week window. For a wedding or something I could see this happening. For a general group cruise...not so much.

They don't give free cruises as readily now either. It's like $100 credit for every eight cabins. Which if I'd done it, I'd have spread it out through all the people.

So thinking it might just be easier to book individually. Yes, it'd be nice to get a free or discounted cruise, but I'd not feel right doing that in this case. (in others perhaps! :) )

Leaning towards RCCL.

That's not how it was when I was with a group on several cruises - weird if it changed! People in our group had months to book. We got other amenities, as well. Stinks about no more free berths, too!

So now I'll need to get organized and investigate the countries' requirements (Honduras, Guatemala and Mexico) in case we want to get off (not that I care - I just love being on a ship!) First port is Key West. Any input is welcome.

If you like butterflies, there's a cool butterfly place in Key West. http://www.keywestbutterfly.com/ I love butterflies, so had a grand time there! It is within walking distance of the port, too.

I did have an encounter with a loose dog in Key West, as well as one in Mexico (Cozumel). I believe Mexico only accepts the one-year rabies/rabies within the first year after giving it, which is ridiculous since they are the exact same vaccine with different labels on the bottles. :mad: I know nothing about Honduras or Guatemala, but if you get off at them, do report back about your experiences!